General Admissions & OTCAS 2015-2016 stats/interview/rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I live outside philly, so I applied to a lot of schools in philly and the few in New Jersey. They are pretty competitive. I did ask a few schools but I never really got answers. I think my gre scores had a lot to do with some schools. I also had a C+ in anatomy and physiology 2 and retook that this year giving me all As and Bs for prereqs. So I feel like I applied to the wrong schools maybe? I expanded more this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where did you apply last year? I'm applying to Temple and Thomas Jefferson, and my stats are sort of like yours...3.5 cum, 3.8ish pre-req. But I got a 454 on my MAT (98th percentile general, 99th in OT). I'm hoping my MAT score will save me a bit, because I love the research they're doing at TJU.

Members don't see this ad.

Where did you apply last year? I'm applying to Temple and Thomas Jefferson, and my stats are sort of like yours...3.5 cum, 3.8ish pre-req. But I got a 454 on my MAT (98th percentile general, 99th in OT). I'm hoping my MAT score will save me a bit, because I love the research they're doing at TJU.

I technically applied 3 times, but the first time was when I was a senior in undergrad and I got everything in so late and didn't have a lot of my prereqs done, so I don't even count that anymore haha. (I had no idea what I was doing with otcas and most of my applications were late) And the first time I applied to temple but didn't get it, last year I applied to Jefferson and didn't get in but I think because of my scores and gpa. I feel like your gpa is in the an average range like mine, but your scores are amazing so that should deff help you out!!

My interview is at Belmont University. It was definitely a reach for me, so i'm just excited to have the opportunity to interview!
If you don't me asking, what are your stats? Congrats on your interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
University: University of North Georgia
Major: Psychology Minor: Gerontology
Overall GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: not sure, depends on school
GRE: 152V 150Q 5.0W (taking again in Nov)

Shadowing: 64 total (more in progress): hippo therapy, pediatrics, hand therapy
Volunteer/work experience: Camp Twin Lakes summer staff (camp for kids with special needs), ABA line therapist, Youth Minister, Nanny for child with autism, mission trips to Africa and Nicaragua, Special Olympics, church nursery volunteer, summer nanny.

Applying: Belmont University, University of North Carolina, Medical University of South Carolina, University of Florida, University of Southern California, Boston University, MGH, Colorado state, U of Toledo, Brenau, NYU, Columbia.

Acceptances: n/a

Rejections: n/a

Interviews: Belmont , MGH 2/5

Last edited:
If you don't me asking, what are your stats? Congrats on your interview!

Thanks! Are you applying there as well? Here are my stats:

Biology and Psychology double major
GRE: 151 Q 154 V 4.0 W
OTCAS GPA: 3.53
Pre-req GPA: 3.8-4.0 depending on the school

I didn't think that I had the top stats that they were looking for, but I guess I made the cut off. I also have a ton of research experience and other extracurriculars. I'm curious to how many people they invite for interviews and how many they accept. I hate the idea of spending a ton of money to interview at a school to then be rejected. Unfortunately that's the reality of this whole process.

Thanks! Are you applying there as well? Here are my stats:

Biology and Psychology double major
GRE: 151 Q 154 V 4.0 W
OTCAS GPA: 3.53
Pre-req GPA: 3.8-4.0 depending on the school

I didn't think that I had the top stats that they were looking for, but I guess I made the cut off. I also have a ton of research experience and other extracurriculars. I'm curious to how many people they invite for interviews and how many they accept. I hate the idea of spending a ton of money to interview at a school to then be rejected. Unfortunately that's the reality of this whole process.

Looks like we have pretty similar stats. I really hope that since we got an interview for early admission, our chances of getting in are greater. I feel like if our stats weren't good enough, we would have been deferred to the next round. It's definitely stressful though thinking that we could potentially be rejected even after the interview. Is Belmont your first choice?

Looks like we have pretty similar stats. I really hope that since we got an interview for early admission, our chances of getting in are greater. I feel like if our stats weren't good enough, we would have been deferred to the next round. It's definitely stressful though thinking that we could potentially be rejected even after the interview. Is Belmont your first choice?

On the blogs from last year it looks like even though people interviewed early for Belmont, they were told that the decision wouldn't be made till regular decision, so that's honestly what I'm expecting. I think they're only taking the exceptional candidates during early admission. At the moment I don't really know what my top program is, it's so hard to decide based on the little information they give you online. Is it your top choice? Now that I've gotten that first invite for an interview I can't stop searching my inbox for more good news, it made me more antsy than ever!

On the blogs from last year it looks like even though people interviewed early for Belmont, they were told that the decision wouldn't be made till regular decision, so that's honestly what I'm expecting. I think they're only taking the exceptional candidates during early admission. At the moment I don't really know what my top program is, it's so hard to decide based on the little information they give you online. Is it your top choice? Now that I've gotten that first invite for an interview I can't stop searching my inbox for more good news, it made me more antsy than ever!

It says on the website that the decision will be made for early interviews mid December and most things I've read say that about 1/2 of the spots are given to people in early interviews. So, we will at least know by December whether we got in or got deferred to the next pool of candidates. Belmont is definitely my first choice. I've already toured the campus and talked to faculty and absolutely love the facilities and I have family in Nashville so I'd love to be there.

It says on the website that the decision will be made for early interviews mid December and most things I've read say that about 1/2 of the spots are given to people in early interviews. So, we will at least know by December whether we got in or got deferred to the next pool of candidates. Belmont is definitely my first choice. I've already toured the campus and talked to faculty and absolutely love the facilities and I have family in Nashville so I'd love to be there.

That's so frustrating that they defer so many people to the next round of admission, but at least some get in. Any idea how large our interview group is going to be? I'd love to know my chances!

According to another thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/belmont-interview.1058932/#post-14989662) they interviewed 100 people during the second round, so maybe same goes for the first? I'm interviewing 11/13, too. Getting pretty stoked!!

Yikes, 200 interviews for 36(?) spots aren't the best chances. But it is better than no chance! I need to start working on my interview/writing skills! Do you know if they flat our reject people after the first interview, or are most people deferred to the next round if they don't get in early?

Has anyone heard from schools with rolling admission yet? Like Toledo or ATSU? If so can you share your stats?
I have. I heard from Midwestern (AZ) in the beginning of September and just interviewed with them on 10/28 and I have an interview with AT Stills (AZ) on Nov. 6th. To my understanding, these are one of the first interviews for the school and I applied super early. So good luck to you!!

I posted my stats already

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thought we could start a new thread just for this cycle

University:
Major:
Overall GPA:
Pre-Req GPA:
GRE:

Acceptances:

Rejections:

Interviews:

Hello All! I am so glad this thread is happening as I have been scouring the internet searching for other OT students to talk with during the admissions process!

My Stats:

University: AA from Indian River Community College, FL, BA from PSU, and other classes from both PCC and SFCC
Major: History; Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: ~3.5 it was higher on transcripts but seemed to drop in OTCAS
| Pre-Req GPA: ~ 3.9 I got all A's and 1 B+
GRE: did not take
otcas verified: 8/28/15

OT observation: 272 hours.
This included work in rehab hospital, schools, hippotherapy, visual therapy and craniosacrial therapy, hand therapy, city clinic (pain management), and pediatrics

work: Early childhood educator for 7 years; nonprofits for 3 years

volunteer: hippotherapy ranch, SMART of Oregon (reading mentor), WWOOF-USA
extracurricular: writing, hiking, archery, exercise, dancing, reading, etc.
research: only that which was required for my History Degree
honors/awards: Dean's list, History honors society, published in anthology
certifications: first aid/cpr and BLS for health care providers. Currently working on my certification to become a Registered Behavior Technician, unfortunately this is not on my OTCAS

applying: Midwestern (AZ), AT Stills, UNM, Sacred Hearts, and Creighton (decided not to pursue this school)
interviews: Midwestern (10/28)- am waiting to hear back!! AT Stills (11/6)
waitlist: ?
accepted: AT Still!!!! just heard today (11/13)
attending
:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
University: Rowan University graduated 2014
Major: Health and Exercise Science with concentration in health promotion
Overall GPA: 3.46
Pre-Req GPA: Not sure, A's and B's
GRE: Quant: 141 Qual: 146 Writing: 3 (not so great)
Observation hours: 80+ hours in outpatient, hospital, children's outpatient and hand therapy

Applied: West Coast University, Salus Univeristy, University of the Sciences Phila, Alvernia University, Midwestern University AZ and IL campuses, Chatham University

Acceptances: West Coast University (email 9/30)

Rejections: N/A

Interviews: Salus University (9/17) West Coast (9/18) Midwestern AZ campus (scheduled 10/28)

I was at the Midwestern AZ interview on the 28th!! Which one were you? I was from Santa Fe

I just found out that I was accepted to AT Still University!! :soexcited:
So excited! Can't wait to meet my future classmates! :)

I just found out that I was accepted to AT Still University!! :soexcited:
So excited! Can't wait to meet my future classmates! :)
Congratulations!!!! I received my acceptance today too!! Will you be accepting their offer?

Yay!! Congrats!!! :) yes I will be accepting their offer! Are you?!

I was at the Midwestern AZ interview on the 28th!! Which one were you? I was from Santa Fe

Hello! I actually had to reschedule mine until November 19th. How did you interview go though?!

Hello! I actually had to reschedule mine until November 19th. How did you interview go though?!

It went well. Midwestern really went out of their way to make the whole day comfortable. It was great to meet other students as well. The interviews are over w/in the first couple of hours and then the rest of the time is for touring the school, eating lunch, and getting to know each other. If you are coming from out of town, I highly recommend staying at the Drury Inn. It was close to the school, they offer a shuttle from the hotel to Midwestern for the interview, and they give a huge discount if you say you are coming for the university. Plus, they had free hot dinner and free hot breakfast.

University: small private school & community college
Major: Psych
Overall GPA: 3.86 | Pre-Req GPA: ~ 3.9-4
GRE: V157 Q156 A4.5
otcas verified 9/10

OT volunteer/observation: ~750 hrs / 11 settings
Rehab Institute of Chicago (RIC) units - neuro/stroke IP, orthotics/prosthetics IP, pediatrics IP & OP, TBI IP, research OP
Other - hand, hippotherapy, school, SNF, home health

work: SNF programs assistant ( 400 ), home care aide - 2 seniors PD & stroke ( 1300 ), retail sales ( 1400 )
internships: RIC- TBI rehab unit ( 100 )
volunteer: RIC- adaptive rock climbing & basketball team assistant ( 75 ), animal shelter ( 200 ), tutor ( 50 ), Misericordia group leader ( 50 )
extracurricular: pres./founder pre-OT club ( 80 ), RIC patient ambassador ( 50 ), mentioned craft (jeweller)
research: research assistant UIC dpt. dev. disabilities ( 35 ), RIC- shadow OT study on arm rehab post-stroke ( 20 ) -> OT research assistant wheelchair accessibility/airline boarding ( 50 )
honors/awards: chancellor & transfer pres. scholarships, deans list, honors program
certifications: home care aide, CPR/BLS/First Aid, IRB, acute stroke training

applying: Midwestern IL, Rush(received GRE late), UW Milwaukee, UW Madison, Carrol U., Wash U. St. Louis, U Indiana, Huntington
rejected:
interviews: Huntington 10/23, Midwestern IL 10/27, U Indiana 12/5 (declined)
waitlist:
accepted: Huntington 10/29, Midwestern IL 11/2
attending: Midwestern IL!!!!

ot.3277 when/how (email or mail) did you hear back from U Indiana about an interview invite? Thanks!!

Any recent decisions made regarding acceptances/rejections from universities?

ot.3277 when/how (email or mail) did you hear back from U Indiana about an interview invite? Thanks!!

i received the email on Monday (double check you spam mail). I need to respond by today, but im declining so they'll probably send out more emails soon. the interview is in december

Any recent decisions made regarding acceptances/rejections from universities?

some of the schools I applied should be sending their first acceptances mid to late november. a few i've applied won't send any out until around march

University: Stockton University
Major: Health Science, conc. in PT & OT
Overall GPA: 3.52
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7
GRE: 152V 143 Q 4.5AW
LOR: 1 from college track coach, 1 professor, 1 OTD
Volunteer: 120 hours between hand therapy & rehabilitation hospital ( Inpatient & Outpatient)
Muscular Dystrophy Association Summer Camp Counselor

Applying to: Stockton, Temple, Seton Hall, Kean, Thomas Jefferson, Salus, Chatham, U of the Sciences, Virginia Commonwealth, Philadelphia U
Acceptances: N/A
Rejections:N/A
Interviews: N/A

I'm super nervous about my chances of acceptance, I took a lot of harder science classes (organic chem, physics I, physics II) because I started out as a PT conc. so my GPA is not where i want it to be. I'm also concerned with my GRE scores and I am debating retaking them...any insight would be greatly appreciated! :)

I have. I heard from Midwestern (AZ) in the beginning of September and just interviewed with them on 10/28 and I have an interview with AT Stills (AZ) on Nov. 6th. To my understanding, these are one of the first interviews for the school and I applied super early. So good luck to you!!

I posted my stats already

Hey I interviewed with you at MW on Oct. 28th! Which one were you? :)

Reactions: 1 user
It went well. Midwestern really went out of their way to make the whole day comfortable. It was great to meet other students as well. The interviews are over w/in the first couple of hours and then the rest of the time is for touring the school, eating lunch, and getting to know each other. If you are coming from out of town, I highly recommend staying at the Drury Inn. It was close to the school, they offer a shuttle from the hotel to Midwestern for the interview, and they give a huge discount if you say you are coming for the university. Plus, they had free hot dinner and free hot breakfast.

Have you heard back from MW? I'm still waiting patiently..

Have you heard back from MW? I'm still waiting patiently..
I was the one from Santa Fe. And no...I haven't heard back. Still anxiously waiting. I just interviewed at AT still today so now I guess i am anxiously waiting to hear from both schools

Volunteer: 120 hours between hand therapy & rehabilitation hospital ( Inpatient & Outpatient)

Applying to: Stockton, Temple, Seton Hall, Kean, Thomas Jefferson, Salus, Chatham, U of the Sciences, Virginia Commonwealth, Philadelphia U

I'm super nervous about my chances of acceptance, I took a lot of harder science classes (organic chem, physics I, physics II) because I started out as a PT conc. so my GPA is not where i want it to be. I'm also concerned with my GRE scores and I am debating retaking them...any insight would be greatly appreciated! :)

I'm in the same boat with a 3.53 since I was a Biology major and got my butt kicked by Ochem and molecular bio, etc. I don't think your GPA is a problem though, I know schools like Chatham and Salus accept applicants with GPA's that are similar. I would definitely try and retake the GRE and get that quantitative score up. I've seen a lot of people on these boards have schools ask them to retake them, so you mine as well get ahead and try to retake it again!

hey! I went to rowan and I have the same GPA and I also applied to some of the same schools you did. My GRE is a 151v a 146Q and 4AW. Personally I think you have a good chance at stockton just because I hear more than half their class is stockton undergraduates. I am all for being hopeful and optimistic because you truly never know!

University:Monmouth University
Major: Chemistry with Minor in Healrh Studies

Overall GPA:3.64
Major GPA: 3.9

Observations:
80 volunteer hours
105 hours OT observation Childcare, Long Term Care, Hand Therapy

Extracurriculars: Supplemental Instructor for Anatomy, Research in Chem dept for 3 years

Applications: Stockton, Seton Hall, Kean

Acceptances: Kean U

Rejections: None yet

Interviews:Kean

University: Texas State
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.7
PreReq GPA: 3.5-3.8
GRE: Q: 151 V: 151 A: still waiting for official results
Observation Experience: ~150 hours between 3 settings (2 ortho outpatient and 1 private pediatric clinic) plus non-related volunteer work

Applying: TWU, Abilene, UTEP, CSU, SJSU, LLU, CSUDH, Stanbridge, West Coast, Nova Southeastern (willing to move pretty much anywhere lol)
Acceptances:
Interviews:
Rejections:

Thinking about retaking me GRE since my scores are pretty much the bare minimum for most schools. I don't even meet USC's minimum :(
@TexasMOT Have you heard back from SJSU yet? I know their admissions are rolling, so I assume they'll be getting their first round of acceptances done pretty soon if they haven't already. I can't find anyone who has heard back from them yet though!

Thank you!! :) I also applied to some schools in California! CSUDH and SJSU! Good luck to you as well!
@cramos4 Have you heard anything from SJSU? My app just switched from complete status to 'referred to grad department' status, but i haven't heard anything outside of that!

I was accepted to Nova Southeastern's OTD program a couple of weeks ago. Anyone else accepted to this program?

@cramos4 Have you heard anything from SJSU? My app just switched from complete status to 'referred to grad department' status, but i haven't heard anything outside of that!

Through MySJSU? Mine is still incomplete :( It says they're awaiting transcripts but I won't be finished the courses until end of december. Do you have all your transcripts complete already? I would hate for this to hold up the process

University: Montclair State University
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.35
Last 60: 3.7
Prereq GPA: 3.7-4.0 depending on school
GRE: V:151, Q:151, 4.0 W

Observation: 165 hours in 3 settings (peds, geriatrics, inpatient/outpatient hospital)
Volunteer: Over 1500 hours with church

Applied: Misericordia U, University of New England, Philadelphia U, Salus U, Sacred Heart U, Towson, and University of the Sciences.

Interviews: Misericordia (11/7), UNE (11/13), Sacred Heart (1/4, declined), Towson (2/16, declined)

Acceptances: Misericordia (11/13, dated 11/10), University of New England! (11/30), Philadelphia University (12/22), University of the Sciences (2/09)

Rejections:

Will most likely be attending UNE this summer :D

Last edited:
Through MySJSU? Mine is still incomplete :( It says they're awaiting transcripts but I won't be finished the courses until end of december. Do you have all your transcripts complete already? I would hate for this to hold up the process
@aama0616a yep - through mySJSU. i haven't taken neuro or a skills course yet because SJSU is the only school on my list that needed those. I think you only need 4 out of the 8 complete before they consider your app 'complete'. I sent my transcripts to GAPE before Oct 1, so they had them before I even submitted my app. I think that helped speed up the process on my application, because they wont' process anything until you have the actual transcripts to them. However, at their advising session, they made it seem like the application packet and OTCAS were way more important than the stuff you send to the general university, so don't worry! As long as you have your application packet in to the OT dept, they're probably looking at you as an official applicant.

@aama0616a yep - through mySJSU. i haven't taken neuro or a skills course yet because SJSU is the only school on my list that needed those. I think you only need 4 out of the 8 complete before they consider your app 'complete'. I sent my transcripts to GAPE before Oct 1, so they had them before I even submitted my app. I think that helped speed up the process on my application, because they wont' process anything until you have the actual transcripts to them. However, at their advising session, they made it seem like the application packet and OTCAS were way more important than the stuff you send to the general university, so don't worry! As long as you have your application packet in to the OT dept, they're probably looking at you as an official applicant.

Thanks for your response. The wait is already killing me. I submitted everything and was verified mid october (OTCAS).

Thanks for your response. The wait is already killing me. I submitted everything and was verified mid october (OTCAS).
@aama0616a I've pretty much been searching everywhere for info, and from what I have gathered, last years' first round applicants were called by the grad assistant around 11/18-11/22, and then received official letters of acceptance early december. I'm crossing my fingers I'll be accepted then! Otherwise I can assume I'll either be waitlisted or denied since its a rolling admission.

What tab are you seeing this under in MySJSU? And is that just for the grad app or for everything?

What tab are you seeing this under in MySJSU? And is that just for the grad app or for everything?
@Sk8OT52 As soon as you log into mySJSU, click on 'view application status' link in the left panel. My status said complete there for a couple of weeks. It just recently switched to "referred to grad department". I believe this is the GAPE application submitted to the university (not the OT dept). Once they change the status to 'referred to grad dept', you are accepted to the University and are waiting on acceptance to the program of choice. So, the graduate dept of SJSU has basically sent everything to the OT department for final decision. I don't really know that it matters at all, as i've heard that a handful of people have been accepted to the OT program while they were still in "complete" status. I'm just so anxious and nervous, so i'm fishing for any clues I can find :)

I spoke to a grad assistant at SJSU who informed me that if you are currently taking classes in the fall semester GAPE cannot refer your file to the grad department until they receive your fall transcripts. However, the OT department makes decisions on the rolling basis. So they may have already made a decision and are just waiting for GAPE to clear your file before they can release their admissions decision

I also got an interview for the November 21st early decision. I am a nervous wreck on what to expect! especially since previous years they have only accepted 40 in to their program! anyone have any advice on what to expect or any tips that may help? anything helps.
Thank you

I also got an interview for the November 21st early decision. I am a nervous wreck on what to expect! especially since previous years they have only accepted 40 in to their program! anyone have any advice on what to expect or any tips that may help? anything helps.
Thank you
@baller0623 what school?

Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.5
Last 60: 3.7
Prereq GPA: 3.2-3.6 depending on the school
GRE: V:160, Q:157, AW:4.5

Observation: 140 hours total (in 2 different settings)

Volunteer:
volunteered at a camp for children with autism spectrum disorder; some hours as a PT aide

Other experience:
1500+ hours as a research assistant

Applied:
UW, Puget Sound, Rush, Samuel Merritt, AT Still, Temple

Interviews: Rush (11/20), Samuel Merritt (12/5), AT Still (2/12), Temple (2/18)

Acceptances: Samuel Merritt, Temple, A.T. Still, Rush (taken off waitlist 4/25)

Wait list:
Rush, University of Washington

Rejections:
University of Puget Sound

Last edited: