General Admissions & OTCAS 2015-2016 stats/interview/rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Major: Human Development and Family Studies
Overall GPA: 3.2
Last 60: 3.6
Prereq GPA: 3.7 depending on the school
GRE: V:148, Q:148, AW:4

Observation: 95 hours total (mainly in pediatrics). Will be getting more next semester

Volunteer:
volunteered over 500 hours with Big Brothers Big Sisters, Special Olympics, Best Buddies and Champions Are Readers

Other experience:
Research Project, Sorority Member for four years, Nannying for a boy with Cerebral Palsy

Applied:
Loma Linda, Washington University, Pacific University, AT Still, MidWestern U, Touro, EWU, University of Utah

Interviews: Loma Linda

Acceptances:

Rejections:

Members don't see this ad.

I just found out that I was accepted to AT Still University!! :soexcited:
So excited! Can't wait to meet my future classmates! :)
I just got my acceptance into AT Still earlier today!!!! We are going to be cohorts!

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an acceptance to Midwestern (Glendale campus) on the 12th! Anyone else heard back from them?

Major: Psychology with a minor in Behavioral Neuroscience
OTCAS GPA: 3.51 (verified 11-19) around 3.56 after the academic update.
Pre-Req GPA: Around a 3.7/3.85? I think closer to a 3.8.
MAT: 454 (98% general, 99% among prospective OTs. ;))

Observation: Around 105 hours in 4 settings (outpatient/inpatient hospital, sensory clinic for people with developmental disabilities, elementary school)
Work Experiences: Over 2 years at a group home for people with intellectual disabilities, 1 summer at a camp for intellectual disabilities, started working at a preschool in Sept, and reading tutoring at an elementary school. Plus fast food, not that it counts.
Other: Around 30 hours volunteering in schools, lab assistant for neuroscience professor, plus some practicum stuff in schools that I included.

Applied: Thomas Jefferson (OTD), Salus, Springfield, UNE
Interviews: TJU/Salus (late Dec.), UNE (late Jan)
Acceptances: Thomas Jefferson (mid Jan), Salus (late Jan)
Rejections: UNE (weird)

So I'd just like to say that you should apply to a variety of schools, especially if they involve interviews! I applied to UNE as a safety (figuring I'd at least get waitlisted and get off it) but got rejected, and accepted to more competitive programs. Honestly, I don't think we were a good fit for each other...I didn't like the way the questions were set up and how impersonal it was compared to Salus/Jefferson.

Looks like I'm headed to Philly!:biglove:

Last edited:
Major: Biology and Psychology
GPA: 3.5
GRE: V-154 Q-151 W-4.0

Applied: MUSC, Wash U, St. Catherine's, USC, SJSU, KU, Chatham, Salus, Sacred Heart, Belmont, Touro Nevada

Interviews: Belmont (11/13), Touro Nevada (11/19), Chatham (11/21), Salus (12/10), Sacred Heart (declined invite)

Acceptances: Belmont (11/25), Chatham (12/4), Touro Nevada (12/25), KU (2/26- was originally rejected 1/20 and then accepted)

Waitlist: Salus-"standby" (12/16), MUSC (2/23)

Rejections: Wash U (11/13)

Last edited:

Applied: MUSC, Wash U, St. Catherine's, USC, SJSU, KU, Chatham, Salus, Sacred Heart, Belmont, Touro Nevada
Interviews: Belmont (11/13), Touro Nevada (11/19), Chatham (11/21), Salus (12/10), Sacred Heart (1//14)
Rejections: Wash U (11/13) :sorry:

I'm really bummed about Wash U because it was one of my top choices and I thought I had a fairly good chance based on who they admitted last year. I think this years pool of applicants is extremely competitive which makes me worry about my other schools, ahhh!

How did Washington notify you??

Interviews: Belmont (11/13), Touro Nevada (11/19), Chatham (11/21), Salus (12/10), Sacred Heart (1//14)

I'm really bummed about Wash U because it was one of my top choices and I thought I had a fairly good chance based on who they admitted last year. I think this years pool of applicants is extremely competitive which makes me worry about my other schools, ahhh!
Sorry about wash u...their loss! :)

Reactions: 1 users

Don't worry, you'll definitely get in somewhere - look at all your interviews lined up!! I've also heard great things about Belmont. Good luck:)

Last edited:
@Sk8OT52 Hi! When did you hear from sacred heart? I'm nervous I haven't received an interview yet!

Did you have your application in by Oct 31st for early admissions? My application was verified 10/12 and I was notified 11/13.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry about Wash U, you'll definitely get in somewhere though - look at all your interviews lined up!! I've also heard great things about Belmont. Good luck:)

Thanks! I'm thinking Chatham, Salus and Sacred Heart are my best chances. However, I'm from CA originally and I'm worried about only getting into schools on the East Coast and being forced to go really far and to the freezing cold. I'm hoping at least one other school comes through! Belmont was amazing, I loved it. Unfortunately, it's more than double the price of some of my other schools :smack:

Thanks! I'm thinking Chatham, Salus and Sacred Heart are my best chances. However, I'm from CA originally and I'm worried about only getting into schools on the East Coast and being forced to go really far and to the freezing cold. I'm hoping at least one other school comes through! Belmont was amazing, I loved it. Unfortunately, it's more than double the price of some of my other schools :smack:
If you go to SHU, it won't be that cold. It's not like the midwest.

Posting this in this thread as well -

University: University of Kansas (undergrad), University of Phoenix (MBA)
Major: Business Marketing
Actual Undergraduate GPA: 3.75
OTCAS GPA: 3.66 (not sure how this is calculated)
Last 60 credit GPA: 3.94
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8-3.95 (depends on the school)
GRE: V-154 Q-156 AW-4.0

Volunteer (OT): 96 hours with the outpatient center for the county hospital. 20 hours with an elementary school/autism room

Other Volunteer: Elementary school reading with kids, day care center, tutoring in college

Letters of Rec: 2 from OTs, 1 from a past manager, 1 from the student I tutored in grad school

Applied: CSU Dominguez Hills, San Jose State U, Samuel Merritt, Midwestern AZ and IL, University of Minnesota, St. Catherines, UW Milwaukee

OTCAS Submitted: 9/27
Verified: 10/12

Acceptances: CSU Dominguez Hills (10/26/15)
Interviews: Midwestern AZ (invited on 10/27 - I declined), Samuel Merritt (invited for 12/5 - I declined)
Rejections: TBD

I'll edit as I hear about acceptances, rejections and interviews. Good luck everyone!

Really!? CT sounds so cold and snowy!

It is cold and snowy. Very. Very. Very :) Get your boots and a hardcore winter jacket ready like you never have before. Cross your fingers and hope you don't get a polar vortex like we did last year hahaha

It is cold and snowy. Very. Very. Very :) Get your boots and a hardcore winter jacket ready like you never have before. Cross your fingers and hope you don't get a polar vortex like we did last year hahaha
Nah. Last year was bad, but normally it's fine. I mean, I've lived in southern new england my whole life, but it's nothing compared to the midwest/northern new england.

Besides, fall is lovely here. Sometimes on nice days, I just keep driving and forget where I'm going for a second (don't worry, I haven't crashed). The cider mills are great. You have NYC nearby, and Providence and Boston not terribly far either. Our beaches aren't rocky like, say, in Oregon.

The Januarys are worth it for a nice rest of the year.

Reactions: 1 user
Nah. Last year was bad, but normally it's fine. I mean, I've lived in southern new england my whole life, but it's nothing compared to the midwest/northern new england.

Besides, fall is lovely here. Sometimes on nice days, I just keep driving and forget where I'm going for a second (don't worry, I haven't crashed). The cider mills are great. You have NYC nearby, and Providence and Boston not terribly far either. Our beaches aren't rocky like, say, in Oregon.

The Januarys are worth it for a nice rest of the year.

But no matter how you twist it, it is soooooooo not sunny CA. but you'll adjust. Then when you're done your program you'll run right back to the west :D but maybe you'll fall in love and stay forever!

But I plan on running right back to the west ;)

Major: Exercise Science
OTCAS GPA: 3.58
Prereq GPA: 3.7-3.8 depending
GRE: 150-Q 154-V 4.5 AW

Observation/Volunteer Hours: 105 hours volunteering with OT's in a rehabilitation hospital, geriatrics, memory care, and local school district special education room

Work experience: PCA for 800 hours with a child with brain damage (performed PT, OT, and speech exercises--also attended OT and speech therapy sessions), Resident advisor for 3 years of undergrad, office assistant for my major's department (assisted with research when necessary), waitress

Extracurricular activities: Member of Active Minds, Delta Epsilon Sigma (national scholastic honors fraternity), Omicron Delta Kappa (national leadership honors fraternity), Vice President of National Residence Hall Honorary

Awards: student leadership scholarship recipient for 2015/2016 year, Recognized by NRHH at my university for my leadership and community service

Applied: Creighton, St. Scholastica, University of Minnesota, Saint Catherine University
Interviews: Creighton (offered 11/17--decline)
Accepted: St. Scholastica (2/2)
Rejected: N/A
Waitlist: N/A

Good luck everyone! :)

Last edited:
I don't mean to offend anyone, but when did WSSU become so popular? When I was applying to schools, I heard bad things about their program. Have they improved?

In
I don't mean to offend anyone, but when did WSSU become so popular? When I was applying to schools, I heard bad things about their program. Have they improved?

Can you tell me what you heard bad about it? I applied there, but can't say I know a lot about it.

I mean their national certification pass rate is 100%. Isn't that most important? I'm genuinely asking.

Last edited:
Acceptance #2 - Usciences :happy:
How long after you submitted your application did you hear back from Usciences? My application was verified this morning so hopefully it won't take too long until I hear back from them since its rolling admissions.

How long after you submitted your application did you hear back from Usciences? My application was verified this morning so hopefully it won't take too long until I hear back from them since its rolling admissions.
Took a while...supplemental was completed on 1 Oct.

In

Can you tell me what you heard bad about it? I applied there, but can't say I know a lot about it.

I mean their national certification pass rate is 100%. Isn't that most important? I'm genuinely asking.

I heard that the faculty have been known to throw the students under the bus on fieldwork sometimes (like sending them to a fieldwork with a terrible CI, and not help them out if it gets rough). I've also heard that the students aren't all that prepared for fieldwork...but like I said, that was a while ago, and it may have changed recently. I don't want to trash their program because they might have changed around the faculty since then. It seems to be getting more popular recently, which could mean good things!

@2015 Applicant hi! There is a supplemental for U of the Sciences?! I never received an email from them and I applied October 2. Now I'm nervous!

@2015 Applicant hi! There is a supplemental for U of the Sciences?! I never received an email from them and I applied October 2. Now I'm nervous!
Hi, yes there is. It's not an email. It's a link in OTCAS...it's free you just have to make sure you do it to be considered complete.
image.jpeg

Hi, yes there is. It's not an email. It's a link in OTCAS...it's free you just have to make sure you do it to be considered complete. View attachment 198036
Hello! How did Usciences contact you? Via email, actual mail, or by phone? Congrats by the way! I'm just so curious because Aimee (from Usciences) said they aren't doing first round picks till December.

Hello! How did Usciences contact you? Via email, actual mail, or by phone? Congrats by the way! I'm just so curious because Aimee (from Usciences) said they aren't doing first round picks till December.
Thanks. I called them too and was told mid December. But I got a phone call today saying I was accepted and I should get a packet in the mail in about a week. Hopefully you get the call soon too!

Received an email today with an interview invitation for Huntington University! Unfortunately, they only interview in October, February, and March. It is going to be a long three month wait, but at least I know there is hope!

Thanks. I called them too and was told mid December. But I got a phone call today saying I was accepted and I should get a packet in the mail in about a week. Hopefully you get the call soon too!
That's awesome! This is my top school so I really hope I get in! If you don't mind me asking, have you completed all the prerequisites yet? I think the only thing holding me back is that I'm taking physics and A&P 2 this spring. However everything else is complete and I did fine in every other class.

Also, if you could answer this or anyone reading this. Where can I see my pre-req GPA?

That's awesome! This is my top school so I really hope I get in! If you don't mind me asking, have you completed all the prerequisites yet? I think the only thing holding me back is that I'm taking physics and A&P 2 this spring. However everything else is complete and I did fine in every other class.

Also, if you could answer this or anyone reading this. Where can I see my pre-req GPA?
This is my top school as well! I hope we will both get in! I'm only taking physics this spring then I'll be done with all the prerequisites. I'm not too sure about where you can find the pre-req GPA though.

I'm taking cultural anthropology right now. It's the only one In progress. Im not sure if you can still have prereqs pending for spring since class starts summer I... You may want to call and find out. As for Prereq GPA you would have to calculate it manually using formula on OTCAS.

I'm taking cultural anthropology right now. It's the only one In progress. Im not sure if you can still have prereqs pending for spring since class starts summer I... You may want to call and find out. As for Prereq GPA you would have to calculate it manually using formula on OTCAS.
Thanks! I did contact Aimee and she said yes, they can still proceed with my application. Also, someone was already accepted with pending pre-req's so there is hope =]

Wait ... Haha disregard that whole reply I got confused who I was talking to! Jeeze. But yes, I did ask a while ago and she said it'll be okay to still view my app. I just think it could land me on a wait list instead. Hopefully not but we will see. Maybe ill still call Monday to see what's going on.

Major: Nutrition & Exercise + Psychology Minor
Overall GPA: 3.52
Pre-Req GPA: between a 3.8 -4.0 depending on the program
GRE: 156 Q, 157 V, 4.5 AW

Submitted on: 09/10
Verified on: 09/29
Observation Experience : 108 hours at a private pediatric OT facility, 70 hours at a geriatric rehabilitation center in a retirement home

Applying: VCU, Belmont, Jefferson College of Health Sciences, Winston-Salem, Rush University, Illinois @ Chicago, Oklahoma, MGH Institute, Stony Brook

Interviews: Belmont (11/13), Rush University (11/21), Stony Brook (12/17)

Acceptances: Belmont (11/23)

Rejections: TBD

Updating because I just got my first acceptance letter - BELMONT UNIVERSITY! So excited, but not positive I'll be attending (great program, but super expensive)

Updating because I just got my first acceptance letter - BELMONT UNIVERSITY! So excited, but not positive I'll be attending (great program, but super expensive)

Congrats! I just got in, too :)! Do you know where I could find a cost breakdown?

Congrats! I just got in, too :)! Do you know where I could find a cost breakdown?

Congratulations to you too!!

The first thing I found was this: http://www.belmont.edu/sfs/pdf/cost_estimator_14-15.pdf
It's slightly out of date, but I assume the cost has stayed about the same. So for 3 years (six F/S semesters) it would be nearly 100k and then the summer semester tuition on top of that (I think they would provide a discounted rate since the summer is shorter and we'd be taking less credits)

It's scary looking at that much potential debt, but it does feel so good to know that we have a spot somewhere now :)

Congratulations to you too!!

The first thing I found was this: http://www.belmont.edu/sfs/pdf/cost_estimator_14-15.pdf
It's slightly out of date, but I assume the cost has stayed about the same. So for 3 years (six F/S semesters) it would be nearly 100k and then the summer semester tuition on top of that (I think they would provide a discounted rate since the summer is shorter and we'd be taking less credits)

It's scary looking at that much potential debt, but it does feel so good to know that we have a spot somewhere now :)
I just got my acceptance to Belmont today as well!!!

Here is a newer version of the cost of attendance.
http://www.belmont.edu/sfs/pdf/cost_estimator.pdf

It's somewhere on their website. I calculated that it would be $150k.

Congrats on your acceptance, I'm anxiously awaiting to hear from them! I'm expecting to be deferred to regular admission so as long as I don't get a rejection I'm happy. Ahh, so nervous, I loved the school! If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats?

Hi! How long did you make your supplemental essay for USciences? Struggling over here... It said "concise" so I'm guessing a little on the shorter side? Thank you!
For me I finished in just a few hours. Wasn't long at all only about a half of page.