2015-2016 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does Downstate accept electronic transcripts or should we have them sent by mail?
I had mine sent electronically and they were marked as received on my checklist

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably a dumb question but are you scanning and emailing to [email protected] or [email protected]? The checklist says to email [email protected] with any questions but it doesn't specify where to send these signed forms
I was actually wondering the same exact thing- I've sent a few things by mail to the address that was on the bottom of the acceptance form that we had to sign, but now I think I am going to send some of the other things electronically. If someone could report back as to which e-mail address worked for them, that would be great. :)

I was actually wondering the same exact thing- I've sent a few things by mail to the address that was on the bottom of the acceptance form that we had to sign, but now I think I am going to send some of the other things electronically. If someone could report back as to which e-mail address worked for them, that would be great. :)

was the address on the acceptance form the same as the office of admissions address? I'm on the alternate list so thats something I didn't need to send :(

was the address on the acceptance form the same as the office of admissions address? I'm on the alternate list so thats something I didn't need to send :(
I just got confirmation from the admissions@ email. So you can use either or

When sending in official transcripts, do they take copies of official transcripts or is it like AMCAS where you have to mail them the official unopened transcripts?

Hi all. For those on the alternate list- how long did it take for your checklist to reflect the receipt of an item after medad/adm@sun.... confirmed the receipt of the document via email? Also, after completion of the Admissions Study Styles Inventory? I'm yet to have anything checked.

Thanks mucho!

When sending in official transcripts, do they take copies of official transcripts or is it like AMCAS where you have to mail them the official unopened transcripts?

Good question. I just had official sealed transcripts mailed directly from my different institutions. Though I know it will take much longer to be received and processed.

Has anyone heard anything from the alternate list. Traffic day was yesterday so I assumed some movement would occur.

Reactions: 1 user
Good question. I just had official sealed transcripts mailed directly from my different institutions. Though I know it will take much longer to be received and processed.

I called. They cannot accept transcripts from you. It has to be like when you sent it to AMCAS - directly from the institution, sealed, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all. For those on the alternate list- how long did it take for your checklist to reflect the receipt of an item after medad/adm@sun.... confirmed the receipt of the document via email? Also, after completion of the Admissions Study Styles Inventory? I'm yet to have anything checked.

Thanks mucho!
I emailed stuff yesterday and got an email confirming receipt of my email this morning

Has anyone heard anything from the alternate list. Traffic day was yesterday so I assumed some movement would occur.
Technically today is actually traffic day.. Last year waitlist movement at Downstate seemed to start about a week after traffic day

Technically today is actually traffic day.. Last year waitlist movement at Downstate seemed to start about a week after traffic day
How come today and not yesterday? Do you expect decent movement this year. From what Ive heard and seen, a good amount of people have withdrawn. Thanks!

Because April 30th fell on a Saturday, applicants had until the following business day (May 2nd) to decide, which leaves traffic day to today. It's somewhat irrelevant, though, considering most students probably stuck to the April 30th deadline (myself included). I have no idea how much waitlist movement there will be and there's really no way to determine that.. Most people don't post on here about whether or not they withdrew, and we don't know how many overflow acceptances were given out. We'll just have to wait and see.

Because April 30th fell on a Saturday, applicants had until the following business day (May 1st) to decide, which leaves traffic day to today. It's somewhat irrelevant, though, considering most students probably stuck to the April 30th deadline (myself included). I have no idea how much waitlist movement there will be and there's really no way to determine that.. Most people don't post on here about whether or not they withdrew, and we don't know how many overflow acceptances were given out. We'll just have to wait and see.

Today is May 3rd, so you mean yesterday which was Monday, May 2nd. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Accepted yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woo-hoo. Tough decisions coming upppp

Reactions: 3 users
Ohhh boy, this is going to be an exciting week!!!

interviewed on March 1st and still have yet to receive an initial decision

interviewed on March 1st and still have yet to receive an initial decision
I interviewed in Feb. and heard back about two months later..I'm sure you'll receive an initial decision pretty soon

Offered a place on the alternate list today and will probably withdraw. Interviewed first week of April.

Hopefully we see some more movement tomorrow. Was expecting to see some acceptances today...

Reactions: 5 users
Withdrew from my spot on the Alternate Waitlist today! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! I hope y'all get in. :)

Pretty surprising to see that there has been very little movement off the Alternate list thus far, considering it was traffic day on Monday.

Do we get a reply once you submit the alternate form?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Something tells me there is going to be very little waitlist movement this year...

Reactions: 1 users
Something tells me there is going to be very little waitlist movement this year...
Don't think like that! Based on past threads it seems like Downstate waits about a week before there's any movement. I'd expect things to start happening on Monday

Does anyone know when the first year MD/MPH starts this summer? Thanks

Dear Applicant:

This is a preliminary notification that the College of Medicine Admissions Committee has reviewed your application favorably for an acceptance. An official acceptance letter and packet will be sent to your preferred mailing address, which you have listed with AMCAS. This letter will include any conditions for acceptance which may pertain to you. Enclosed in the packet is a reply form, which must be completed and returned within two weeks from the date of the acceptance letter in the packet, in order to reserve your place in our entering class.

If you have listed a preferred mailing address which is the address of someone other than yourself, please alert him or her to the need to forward the packet to you so that you can return the completed reply form within the specified time period. If you are unavailable and have designated a parent or other agent as a substitute, they must return the reply form within the specified time.

If you have decided to attend another medical school or have made alternative plans, please send an email to [email protected] and withdraw your application from our active files. This will benefit other applicants.

Thank you again for your interest in SUNY Downstate.

Sincerely,

Dr. Shushawna DeOliveira
Director
Office of Student Admissions
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
e-mail [email protected]

Woke up from a nap at 5:20 pm and looked at my phone and got this email at 5:18.
I was a re-applicant (failed to get off alt list last cycle), lizzM 70-72, IS, intervierw Jan 25, HFS march 18, alt list april15. I overnighted a update/LOI tuesday.

Edit: will 100% be attending

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
ACCEPTED OFF THE ALTERNATE LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cannot believe this. Interviewed Early February, put on HFS then alternate list.
LizzyM ~ 69, IS

Dear Applicant:

This is a preliminary notification that the College of Medicine Admissions Committee has reviewed your application favorably for an acceptance. An official acceptance letter and packet will be sent to your preferred mailing address, which you have listed with AMCAS. This letter will include any conditions for acceptance which may pertain to you. Enclosed in the packet is a reply form, which must be completed and returned within two weeks from the date of the acceptance letter in the packet, in order to reserve your place in our entering class.

If you have listed a preferred mailing address which is the address of someone other than yourself, please alert him or her to the need to forward the packet to you so that you can return the completed reply form within the specified time period. If you are unavailable and have designated a parent or other agent as a substitute, they must return the reply form within the specified time.

If you have decided to attend another medical school or have made alternative plans, please send an email to [email protected] and withdraw your application from our active files. This will benefit other applicants.

Thank you again for your interest in SUNY Downstate.

Sincerely,

Dr. Shushawna DeOliveira
Director
Office of Student Admissions
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
e-mail [email protected]

Woke up from a nap at 5:20 pm and looked at my phone and got this email at 5:18.
I was a re-applicant (failed to get off alt list last cycle), lizzM 70-72, IS, intervierw Jan 25, HFS march 18, alt list april15. I overnighted a update/LOI tuesday.
Congrats!!! U should be very proud. Ru planning on attending?

Also just got accepted off the alternate list! OMG.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
ACCEPTED OFF ALTERNATE LIST TOO, 100% matriculating ☺️

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to all of you! if you guys don't mind sharing when u interviewed that would be awesome. congrats again

Congrats to all! Has any OOS student been accepted off the Alternate List?