2015-2016 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to all of you! if you guys don't mind sharing when u interviewed that would be awesome. congrats again

IS, interviewed early March, sent an update/LOI earlier this week

Members don't see this ad.

makes me so happy to see all these acceptances coming in :) this is such an incredibly long and stressful process, and i'm so glad that you guys are coming out on top at the end of it! I hope to see many more of you getting acceptances as well, either from downstate or wherever it is you hope to go ^_^

Congrats to all of you! if you guys don't mind sharing when u interviewed that would be awesome. congrats again

Congrats to all! Has any OOS student been accepted off the Alternate List?

Thank you so much! :soexcited:

Interviewed late February, put on HFS then alternate list, OOS (but went to undergrad in NY?), LizzyM ~71

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Dear Applicant:

This is a preliminary notification that the College of Medicine Admissions Committee has reviewed your application favorably for an acceptance. An official acceptance letter and packet will be sent to your preferred mailing address, which you have listed with AMCAS. This letter will include any conditions for acceptance which may pertain to you. Enclosed in the packet is a reply form, which must be completed and returned within two weeks from the date of the acceptance letter in the packet, in order to reserve your place in our entering class.

If you have listed a preferred mailing address which is the address of someone other than yourself, please alert him or her to the need to forward the packet to you so that you can return the completed reply form within the specified time period. If you are unavailable and have designated a parent or other agent as a substitute, they must return the reply form within the specified time.

If you have decided to attend another medical school or have made alternative plans, please send an email to [email protected] and withdraw your application from our active files. This will benefit other applicants.

Thank you again for your interest in SUNY Downstate.

Sincerely,

Dr. Shushawna DeOliveira
Director
Office of Student Admissions
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
e-mail [email protected]

Woke up from a nap at 5:20 pm and looked at my phone and got this email at 5:18.
I was a re-applicant (failed to get off alt list last cycle), lizzM 70-72, IS, intervierw Jan 25, HFS march 18, alt list april15. I overnighted a update/LOI tuesday.

Edit: will 100% be attending

ACCEPTED OFF THE ALTERNATE LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cannot believe this. Interviewed Early February, put on HFS then alternate list.
LizzyM ~ 69, IS

What does HFS mean?

For my own sanity I'm no longer checking SDN. Good luck to my fellow applicants who remain on the waitlist, and a big congratulations to those fortunate enough to receive an acceptance.

Have a great summer and cheers to the next cycle!

Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys think the alternate list or hfs list is ranked?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Anyone not accepting their acceptance off the waitlist? :xf:

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to everyone accepted! Guess it just wasn't meant to be for me...

Just got accepted today!!:soexcited:
Was on HFS, then on alternate list
Interviewed 2/17
Mcat 31, gpa 3.8

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those who were accepted off the WL, did you submit all the 3 documentation that they asked for already? The Health Forms, BLS, and Transcripts?

Have you guys gotten financial aid. info/anything regarding finances in the mail yet?

Any MD/MPH students on here? I have some questions

Accepted into AMSNY!!!!! Will be attending Downstate next fall!

Reactions: 4 users
Did they send housing info? I haven't received anything besides my financial aid package a few months ago. Is there anything else I'm missing?

This week marks ~3 weeks since my interview... I take it I can plan on waiting a very long time for a decision at this point?

This week marks ~3 weeks since my interview... I take it I can plan on waiting a very long time for a decision at this point?
going on 10 weeks tomorrow so I'd say it's a safe bet not to hold your breath for a response ; though others have heard back in a more timely manner

For anyone on the alt list, can we access the online checklist? And what is the login for it?

For anyone on the alt list, can we access the online checklist? And what is the login for it?

They email you. Username is a rando number and the password is random

They email you. Username is a rando number and the password is random
Thanks @Mansamusa, I got an email that they confirmed the received my alternate form but I didn't get any username or passwords. Do you get that later?

Thanks @Mansamusa, I got an email that they confirmed the received my alternate form but I didn't get any username or passwords. Do you get that later?

I got the username 4 days after the alternate form acknowledgement

JUST GOT OFF THE ALT LIST!!! I'm so happy I'm 100% going!! how long do we have to withdraw from our other school? I plan on doing ASAP but I just want confirmation from downstate first that they have my acceptance form and everything

Reactions: 9 users
TO those who got off the waitlist, did you send LOI's/Update letters after getting put on the alt list?

TO those who got off the waitlist, did you send LOI's/Update letters after getting put on the alt list?
I didnt send anything at all after being put on alt, partially because i really didnt think i was gonna get off the list anytime soon
But they surprised me lol

I didnt send anything at all after being put on alt, partially because i really didnt think i was gonna get off the list anytime soon
But they surprised me lol
Same here. Didn't send anything but was drafting a LOI. I don't think it can hurt to send one but it clearly isn't absolutely necessary !

To those who have been accepted off the alt list, do you have any changes to your admissions checklist? I don't see a link for me to pay the deposit

Has anyone that interviewed in April heard back anything yet? Interviewed exactly 4 weeks ago today and it's been totally silent.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Got accepted yesterday as well!!!!! Not sure if I will go here. I kind of need to decide soon. I interviewed March 1st. And place on the alternate list April 15th I think. OOS applicant. I did send a letter of interest and new stronger rec letter.

Reactions: 1 users
Got accepted yesterday as well!!!!! Not sure if I will go here. I kind of need to decide soon. I interviewed March 1st. And place on the alternate list April 15th I think. OOS applicant. I did send a letter of interest and new stronger rec letter.
Congrats!!! Are you able to pay the deposit on your admissions checklist?

To those who have been accepted off the alt list, do you have any changes to your admissions checklist? I don't see a link for me to pay the deposit

It took about a day for the payment link to appear on my checklist..I e-mailed them when I didn't see it at first, but I think it just takes some time

Congrats to all the recent acceptances! Did you guys receive emails during evening hours of the day EST? It seems like it from these posts.

For students accepted off the alternate list, did your alternate list page change at all when getting your acceptance? Mine doesn't show the check for my alternate list form anymore that was confirmed and received by Downstate and checked off on the checklist. Thanks
EDIT: a whole part of my list is actually missing such as the forms and passport section, etc (basically most of it besides the health stuff)

Last edited:
I actually never received an email containing my username and pw for an online portal with an online checklist. Wondering if this was cause for concern, I called to ask, but they simply assured me that they had my filled alternate list form on file and I should just send in all the required stuff in asap before july 1st. Why is it that some people receive this access and others don't?

I sent a letter, it would have arrived at Downstate by Wednesday and I got accepted off alt list at 5;30 PM on friday. I feel like that turnover is a bit too fast for it to have done anything but yeah...