* 2015-2016 URM Medical School Application Thread *

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
HI! Just saw this thread and looking for advice...

Non Trad Latino Male, age 28, 3.55 sGPA 3.58 cGPA
Took July MCAT (498) Sep RETAKE (505). Thousands of patient exposure hours (years working at State Hospital), thousands of volunteer hours (two year med service mission) about one hundred shadowing hours from a variety of specialties, hundreds of hours of research experience including pubs and poster presentations

AMCAS verified in July, received secondaries from various MDschools (applied very broadly, roughly 30 schools), but due to low MCAT score, had to hit 'retake' on many secondary apps until review of my next MCAT score. Received my retake MCAT score last week. When I received my MCAT score, I received secondary invites from most of the UC schools, my state school, UW, etc. Those secondaries have all been turned in. All other secondaries will be turned in TODAY. Just reading around the internet I'm getting freaked out that I'm a bit late to the game...I have also started some DO secondaries and will submit them next week.

Are my odds too low for this cycle? Should I expect to not get in at this point and be forced to be a reapplicant? Any feedback would be awesome....thanks

Theres no telling. It is definitely late to apply but you might be an outlier and make it. At this point, all for which you can hope is that whoever reads your AMCAS/CV/secondaries thinks you're the real deal... the rule of thumb is that anytime after September is considered tardy. Have a job lined up for a gap year - though I am sure that's not sn issue given that you're a non-trad

Don't fret! If you don't make it, you'll be first to send your AMCAS next year. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres no telling. It is definitely late to apply but you might be an outlier and make it. At this point, all for which you can hope is that whoever reads your AMCAS/CV/secondaries thinks you're the real deal... the rule of thumb is that anytime after September is considered tardy. Have a job lined up for a gap year - though I am sure that's not sn issue given that you're a non-trad

Don't fret! If you don't make it, you'll be first to send your AMCAS next year. ;)

Hey thanks for the reply! Yeah, that's kinda what I've been hearing. Adcoms I've emailed and current medical students have said to go ahead and continue applying. Some adcoms have said they will expedite the URM applications and my medical student friends say there's still plenty of time in the cycle. Adcoms aren't just robots and will see a good candidate when they see one, as you said!

Time to roll the dice I guess. I'll keep you posted!

Hey thanks for the reply! Yeah, that's kinda what I've been hearing. Adcoms I've emailed and current medical students have said to go ahead and continue applying. Some adcoms have said they will expedite the URM applications and my medical student friends say there's still plenty of time in the cycle. Adcoms aren't just robots and will see a good candidate when they see one, as you said!

Time to roll the dice I guess. I'll keep you posted!

I hope you make it this cycle... but remember there are people with similar stats/CV as you who applied in July and August. You definitely have done a lot after graduation and hopefiully someone sees that but just be prepared.

Members don't see this ad :)
HI! Just saw this thread and looking for advice...

Non Trad Latino Male, age 28, 3.55 sGPA 3.58 cGPA
Took July MCAT (498) Sep RETAKE (505). Thousands of patient exposure hours (years working at State Hospital), thousands of volunteer hours (two year med service mission) about one hundred shadowing hours from a variety of specialties, hundreds of hours of research experience including pubs and poster presentations

AMCAS verified in July, received secondaries from various MDschools (applied very broadly, roughly 30 schools), but due to low MCAT score, had to hit 'retake' on many secondary apps until review of my next MCAT score. Received my retake MCAT score last week. When I received my MCAT score, I received secondary invites from most of the UC schools, my state school, UW, etc. Those secondaries have all been turned in. All other secondaries will be turned in TODAY. Just reading around the internet I'm getting freaked out that I'm a bit late to the game...I have also started some DO secondaries and will submit them next week.

Are my odds too low for this cycle? Should I expect to not get in at this point and be forced to be a reapplicant? Any feedback would be awesome....thanks
Your stats are similar to mine. Black female, got 25 MCAT in April 2014, then 506 MCAT in June 2015. I've had 2 IIs, 1 Acceptance (hopefully 2), and approx. 7-8 silences so far. I think you are a little late to the MD game honestly. I also have a couple secondaries laying around that I may still submit just because. I think you should as well if it's not too much of a financial burden. DO tends to have a longer application cycle, so what may be late for MD may be okay for DO.

I've realized adcoms tend to be more forgiving than what a lot of people project on SDN. As someone else said, you seem like a relatively solid applicant. And hopefully someone will look at your application before the class gets full. However if I were you, I would prepare to reapply next cycle. I told myself if I did not hear back from any schools before 2015 is over, I would prepare to reapply. What really hurt you was applying late. I applied less than 24hours after AMCAS opened and have not heard back from any MD schools in terms of IIs. I think what hurt me was turning in my secondaries late for them. It took me an average of 3-4 weeks to submit each one. I applied about 1.5 months after the DO app opened and I got an acceptance at a DO school. So that shows you how forgiving the DO process can be. I would focus your efforts on them as in this point, you may have a better shot.

Your stats are similar to mine. Black female, got 25 MCAT in April 2014, then 506 MCAT in June 2015. I've had 2 IIs, 1 Acceptance (hopefully 2), and approx. 7-8 silences so far. I think you are a little late to the MD game honestly. I also have a couple secondaries laying around that I may still submit just because. I think you should as well if it's not too much of a financial burden. DO tends to have a longer application cycle, so what may be late for MD may be okay for DO.

I've realized adcoms tend to be more forgiving than what a lot of people project on SDN. As someone else said, you seem like a relatively solid applicant. And hopefully someone will look at your application before the class gets full. However if I were you, I would prepare to reapply next cycle. I told myself if I did not hear back from any schools before 2015 is over, I would prepare to reapply. What really hurt you was applying late. I applied less than 24hours after AMCAS opened and have not heard back from any MD schools in terms of IIs. I think what hurt me was turning in my secondaries late for them. It took me an average of 3-4 weeks to submit each one. I applied about 1.5 months after the DO app opened and I got an acceptance at a DO school. So that shows you how forgiving the DO process can be. I would focus your efforts on them as in this point, you may have a better shot.

My biggest regret was not applying DO I feel so stupid that I believed people when they told me to need a DO's reference to apply for DO school... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone. SDN noob here, figured I'd contribute to stay posted on how other fellow URMs are doing. I don't know any other URMs applying this cycle and honestly, it's kind of saddening. Wish you all a successful cycle!

Non-traditional, Latino
LizzyM 69-70ish (new mcat)
~16 MD schools
6 II (NYU, Hofstra, Cornell, Stony Brook, Mt Sinai, Brown)
1 Pre-interview rejection (Georgetown)
9 Silences

Having a ridiculous cycle. I was complete 9/1 so hopefully I hear back from more schools soon!

Reactions: 4 users
What up what up! I didn't know this thread existed!

I'm a Latino male applying to med school and here's how I'm doing so far!

IIs: BU, UIC, case western, northwestern, Columbia, university of Chicago

Accepted to university of Chicago last week!! Seriously so shocked, one of my dream schools.

I can post stats and whatnot later if you want them but trying to stay anon as best as I can! Always willing to help so PM me for absolutely anything!
lol at "what up what" love your energy and congrats on your acceptances!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on the acceptance! Would you be willing to PM me a bit more information such as completion dates, schools applied/interviewed at, etc? Just wanting to know how I compare with other applicants... This process is stressful.

16 MD's
4 II's
1 Waitlist (although, kind of a nontraditional waitlist process); waiting to hear back from the other three
2 Pre-interview rejections

I just need ONE acceptance lol

Might submit a DO or two if I don't hear back by mid-December...wonder if that's too late?

Reactions: 2 users
16 MD's
4 II's
1 Waitlist (although, kind of a nontraditional waitlist process); waiting to hear back from the other three
2 Pre-interview rejections

I just need ONE acceptance lol

Might submit a DO or two if I don't hear back by mid-December...wonder if that's too late?
that's real....just need one acceptance LOL where do you have interviews!?

Just updating!
Applied to 13 schools
11 II's
9 II's attended
6 acceptances!
0 waist lists/ rejections
1 hold

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wonderful to see everyone's successes this cycle, and the support everyone's given on this thread!

Update:
16 II (8 attended, 5 declined, 3 upcoming in Dec/Jan)
5 Acceptances
2 Waitlists
0 Hold

Keep up the good work, all.

Reactions: 10 users
Wonderful to see everyone's successes this cycle, and the support everyone's given on this thread!

Update:
5 Acceptances
2 Waitlists
0 Hold

care to share your states and school you get accepted to ??

Update:
5 Acceptances
2 Waitlists
0 Hold

Not to sound rude or anything, but why attend more interview with 5 acceptance ? I think it will be great if others can get a chance to interview. Congrats on your success.

Not to sound rude or anything, but why attend more interview with 5 acceptance ? I think it will be great if others can get a chance to interview. Congrats on your success.

Don't worry, it's a legit question.

Quite a few reasons. Getting into a school is no reason to just immediately stop interviewing, if circumstances are such that you have interviews at schools you might attend over your current top choice accepted (for whatever reason, whether geographical location, potential lower tuition, etc). The first set of interviews were all before Oct 15th. Once acceptances began post Oct-15th, the five I then declined are just that -- ones I knew I now wouldn't attend even if accepted. The three left are ones I feel I would given the right circumstances.

Acceptance and waitlist-wise, I've also already withdrawn from schools I likewise know there's little chance of attending, as acceptances are more finite than interview slots. I don't see the point of holding onto those, personally. But I know people that do, and I don't hate. We all worked hard to get here, and I think everyone has the right to thoroughly explore every option they're given.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Don't worry, it's a legit question.

Quite a few reasons. Getting into a school is no reason to just immediately stop interviewing, if circumstances are such that you have interviews at schools you might attend over your current top choice accepted (for whatever reason, whether geographical location, potential lower tuition, etc). The first set of interviews were all before Oct 15th. Once acceptances began post Oct-15th, the five I then declined are just that -- ones I knew I now wouldn't attend even if accepted. The three left are ones I feel I would given the right circumstances.

Acceptance and waitlist-wise, I've also already withdrawn from schools I likewise know there's little chance of attending, as acceptances are more finite than interview slots. I don't see the point of holding onto those, personally. But I know people that do, and I don't hate. We all worked hard to get here, and I think everyone has the right to thoroughly explore every option they're given.

Understood and I agree with the reasons listed for doing more interviews. I asked because I have heard of cases where other have multiple acceptances / interviews and hold on to them until April. While we all worked hard to arrive at this point I firmly believe that we should also be considerate of our fellow men and women. Altruism is what the profession calls for

Reactions: 1 users
Understood and I agree with the reasons listed for doing more interviews. I asked because I have heard of cases where other have multiple acceptances / interviews and hold on to them until April. While we all worked hard to arrive at this point I firmly believe that we should also be considerate of our fellow men and women. Altruism is what the profession calls for

Well, also keep in mind that some schools may not figure out your financial aid package until spring. Not all scholarships, grants, etc show up with the acceptance letter.

Hanging on to 20 acceptances until deadline is extreme, but I don't think holding your top choices until you can compare finances is something that should be shamed.

Reactions: 3 users
Well, also keep in mind that some schools may not figure out your financial aid package until spring. Not all scholarships, grants, etc show up with the acceptance letter.

Hanging on to 20 acceptances until deadline is extreme, but I don't think holding your top choices until you can compare finances is something that should be shamed.

Wasn't advocating you should be ashamed of the latter statement. Am currently waiting on FA package before I decide so I understand. Again congrats on ur success this cycle, all the hard work paid off.

Wasn't advocating you should be ashamed of the latter statement. Am currently waiting on FA package before I decide so I understand. Again congrats on ur success this cycle, all the hard work paid off.

Oh no, I wasn't taking it personally, meant as more a general statement. You're good ;) Congrats to you too!

Sure can't wait till I can say I'm waiting on a FA package....lol ;p

Reactions: 5 users
Just found this thread not too long ago. I m loving all of the positivity and encouragement everyone has been showing through the arduous process that is the med school application cycle!

Complete at 12 schools, 2 II, 3 rejections, and still alive at the other 7! Non-traditional and late applicant due to a September mcat. So to all my late babies lets keep hope alive! It ain't over until it's over!

Reactions: 3 users
Just found this thread not too long ago. I m loving all of the positivity and encouragement everyone has been showing through the arduous process that is the med school application cycle!

Complete at 12 schools, 2 II, 3 rejections, and still alive at the other 7! Non-traditional and late applicant due to a September mcat. So to all my late babies lets keep hope alive! It ain't over until it's over!

In the same boat here due to September 23rd MCAT! I don't have any II's yet, and have only been rejected post secondary by both USC and UCSF (no surprises there tho!). My DO secondaries are in this week and I'm still holding hope for an acceptance this cycle! Good luck to you!

In the same boat here due to September 23rd MCAT! I don't have any II's yet, and have only been rejected post secondary by both USC and UCSF (no surprises there tho!). My DO secondaries are in this week and I'm still holding hope for an acceptance this cycle! Good luck to you!

Yeah I took my mcat on September 12. It was late for sure, but it was the time that worked best for me. I also submitted my primary app way back in June and completed some secondaries (for schools that automatically send them to all verified applicants) before my mcat score was released so hopefully that helps. But good luck to you as well! Rooting for you!!

Update: 6 MD IIs, 5 pre interview rejections, 17 schools silent, 1 acceptance!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
its awfully quiet here! Hope everyone is doing well! Has anyone committed to a school yet...or is it too early? For those who are still waiting, keep the faith, we're all rooting for you!

My emotions are so up and down with this whole process. Some days I'm sooo hopeful and then other days I feel foolish. It's very draining but I wish everyone the best in their cycle and remember that it's definitely not over yet. You'll end up where you're meant to be so long as you putting in 110%! *extends good vibes*

Reactions: 8 users
Never did I imagine I would actually be given a chance at this...but here I am on a flight to my first interview. We doing this homies. Let's infiltrate this system!

Reactions: 12 users
Hi everyone- I thought I should finally contribute to this thread! First time applicant, first-generation, and I wasn't expecting much this cycle but I have been blessed beyond what I hoped for. 12 MD schools, 4 MD II's so far (2 recently attended, 2 scheduled), 1 rejection pre-II, silence at the others. I wasn't even expecting to have II's this cycle but it truly seems numbers aren't everything. Whatever happens, I am grateful. It's so nice to see a supportive community here.

Interviewed at UACOM Tucson, UTHSC San Antonio. Upcoming II's at TX Tech-El Paso and Morehouse!

Reactions: 5 users
nvm

Last edited:
anyone here interview at SLU? I have an interview on the 22nd and would love some advice.

My emotions are so up and down with this whole process. Some days I'm sooo hopeful and then other days I feel foolish. It's very draining but I wish everyone the best in their cycle and remember that it's definitely not over yet. You'll end up where you're meant to be so long as you putting in 110%! *extends good vibes*
you're not alone! best of luck to you!

I submitted in my primary on September 29th and was complete on October 1st.

Anything is possible :)

I got two more interviews, NYMC and SUNY Upstate.
Only Jah knows the struggle of a pre-med.

Hi all!

Just wanted to send some good vibes your way!!! Before we all know it we will be practicing our careers :D

Best of luck to all of you and if there's anything I can help with don't hesitate to PM me! And I mean absolutely anything!!!

Hi,

Im gunna add my stats to the pile, I'm an AA female, CA resident, 3.2 smp gpa (my smp finishes in june so ill at least graduate with a higher gpa than a 3.2), applied DO only, first mcat score was a 21 new mcat score is a 498. So far rejected from Western Pomona, and Burnell College. Waiting on PCOM GA, Touro CA, ATSU, Western U lebanon, PCOM PA.

ugh

Just wanted to add my update to this thread since you guys have been nothing short of supportive, kind, and understanding to me and others on here.

*Applied a tad late to MD* Currently have 2 MD interview invites, one at a top 10 school and another on the East Coast :) SO HAPPY!! Definitely more than a glimmer of hope, the dream is becoming a reality! Thanks for all of the support, you guys are rad. Great thread!

Just wanted to add my update to this thread since you guys have been nothing short of supportive, kind, and understanding to me and others on here.

*Applied a tad late to MD* Currently have 2 MD interview invites, one at a top 10 school and another on the East Coast :) SO HAPPY!! Definitely more than a glimmer of hope, the dream is becoming a reality! Thanks for all of the support, you guys are rad. Great thread!
Congrats!!!!

Just now taking a look at this thread
LizzyM ~63
complete at 10 school
4 II --> 1 rejection, 1 wait list, 1 acceptance, 1 I am still waiting to hear back
6 silence

Didnt think I would get so many interview invites but I just kept my faith and prayed for good news every time I checked my email :claps:

You guys are really inspirational....everyone.

Hey everyone. SDN noob here, figured I'd contribute to stay posted on how other fellow URMs are doing. I don't know any other URMs applying this cycle and honestly, it's kind of saddening. Wish you all a successful cycle!

Non-traditional, Latino
~16 MD schools
6 II (NYU, Hofstra, Cornell, Stony Brook, Mt Sinai, Brown)
9 Silences

Having a ridiculous cycle. I was complete 9/1 so hopefully I hear back from more schools soon!

How did you calculate your Lizzy M score with the new MCAT?
By complete, you mean all secondaries were submitted by 9/1?
We applied to similar schools but I submitted most of my secondaries late October to early November.

When were you complete for Stony, NYU, Mt Sinai and Brown?

How did you calculate your Lizzy M score with the new MCAT?
By complete, you mean all secondaries were submitted by 9/1?
We applied to similar schools but I submitted most of my secondaries late October to early November.

When were you complete for Stony, NYU, Mt Sinai and Brown?

Honestly, it's just a rough estimate based on conversions I've seen online. My MCAT was 508, which seems to fall around 30, according to some sources on Google.

By complete, I meant confirmed as complete either via email or status update. I submitted most of my secondaries by late August, but it took like another week or so for all my letters and stuff to get in.

Complete at Stony 9/3, Sinai 8/22, NYU 8/20, Brown 9/1.

I'm happy to help! I got the bulk of my invites about 2 months after completion. Hang in there!

Uh, so I guess I should update this:

Non-traditional, Latino
~16 MD schools
8 II (NYU, Hofstra, Cornell, Stony Brook, Mt Sinai, Brown, Einstein, Harvard)
7 Silences

Reactions: 4 users
Uh, so I guess I should update this:

Non-traditional, Latino
~16 MD schools
8 II (NYU, Hofstra, Cornell, Stony Brook, Mt Sinai, Brown, Einstein, Harvard)
7 Silences

My Lizzy score is a 64 :(
I was complete late-October to mid November for all of my schools.
I would love to get an interview from Stony, Mt Sinai, Brown, Einstein and Harvard, lol
I didn't apply to Hofstra or Cornell.

Where are the 7 silences from?