* 2015-2016 URM Medical School Application Thread *

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When you say II attended, you mean interviews? What EC's did you do?

3.93 cGPA, 3.97 sGPA, 508 MCAT

Yeah, interviews attended. I received 8, attended 6, and withdrew from 2.

I have a bunch of ECs, but I will say most of my ECs revolve around leadership and service. I also have almost 2 years of research, but no pubs. Perhaps my strongest "EC" is my story, however. It is rather unique, and I think it's made the biggest difference in my application and my interviews. Also, 6 very strong LORs + Committee letter. If you want actual details or help with anything, feel free to PM me!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Got some alerts from this page lol so figured I'll update:

Non-traditional, Latino
LizzyM 69-70ish (new mcat)
~17 MD schools
6 II Attended (NYU, Cornell, Stony Brook, Mt Sinai, Brown, Harvard)
2 II Withdrawn (Hofstra, Einstein)
3 Pre-interview Rejection (Georgetown, Hopkins, Penn)
6 Silences
3 Acceptances (NYU, Stony Brook, Mt Sinai)

Awaiting 3 more decisions, but yeah, I'm more than happy with my options lol. Hope everyone's cycle is going okay!

Why did you WD from Einstein
Congratulations on the NYU, SB and Mt. Sinai acceptances ;).
Penn and Hopkins also rejected me.
Out of your acceptances, which schools could you see yourself attending?

Are you a NYS resident?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
3.93 cGPA, 3.97 sGPA, 508 MCAT

Yeah, interviews attended. I received 8, attended 6, and withdrew from 2.

I have a bunch of ECs, but I will say most of my ECs revolve around leadership and service. I also have almost 2 years of research, but no pubs. Perhaps my strongest "EC" is my story, however. It is rather unique, and I think it's made the biggest difference in my application and my interviews. Also, 6 very strong LORs + Committee letter. If you want actual details or help with anything, feel free to PM me!

Your stats are excellent! The GPA combined with a high MCAT score :). Congrats again on everything.

Why did you WD from Einstein
Congratulations on the NYU, SB and Mt. Sinai acceptances ;).
Penn and Hopkins also rejected me.
Out of your acceptances, which schools could you see yourself attending?

Are you a NYS resident?

Haha okay, you got me. I didn't withdraw from Einstein YET...but after my second Manhattan school acceptance, I don't really see the point. I'm scheduled to interview in late Feb, but yeah, I just really don't see myself choosing it over my current options, so I was planning on withdrawing.

Would YOU go to Einstein over Sinai, SB, NYU? I'm open to advice/being convinced.

Yes, I am NYS.

I don't know, honestly. I think I liked Sinai the most, but I didn't give NYU a fair shot. NYU was my first interview + MMI format so I just really didn't get a chance to absorb it well because I was too nervous. Luckily I live in the city, so it's fairly convenient for me to revisit both schools and give them a closer look. I'm currently under consideration for scholarships at SB and Sinai, so that could make the decision far easier. Lol.

Last edited:
Your stats are excellent! The GPA combined with a high MCAT score :). Congrats again on everything.

Thanks friend. Although honestly, my MCAT score for these schools is like, below the 10th percentile LOL. I'm that one random outlier that nobody can make sense of. God himself must have willed it to happen.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks friend. Although honestly, my MCAT score for these schools is like, below the 10th percentile LOL. I'm that one random outlier that nobody can make sense of. God himself must have willed it to happen.

My MCAT score is really below average so I know if I'm accepted this cycle, only God could have made it happen.

Yeah, but for urm it is fine and the process is holistic. You have the %tile for the MCAT coupled with your near perfect GPA. They know you know the work.
Doesn't matter what the data says. You were invited which means you're on the same level as everyone else, bump the grades ☺.

Haha okay, you got me. I didn't withdraw from Einstein YET...but after my second Manhattan school acceptance, I don't really see the point. I'm scheduled to interview in late Feb, but yeah, I just really don't see myself choosing it over my current options, so I was planning on withdrawing.

Would YOU go to Einstein over Sinai, SB, NYU? I'm open to advice/being convinced.

Yes, I am NYS.

I don't know, honestly. I think I liked Sinai the most, but I didn't give NYU a fair shot. NYU was my first interview + MMI format so I just really didn't get a chance to absorb it well because I was too nervous. Luckily I live in the city, so it's fairly convenient for me to revisit both schools and give them a closer look. I'm currently under consideration for scholarships at SB and Sinai, so that could make the decision far easier. Lol.

NYU or Sinai is your best bet. SB is an excellent school, too! Money talks, bs walks. NYU needs to give you money. It is like being on a first date. Wine and dine the person to show that this may be a promising relationship, lol

How bad do they really want you? They need to have a better impression, since you're up for grabs!

Einstein is rank 40, so nope I would not. The community they serve is different at both schools. Does that matter to you?
If you're interested in Derm or plastics, nyu is your best bet. What about their teaching hospitals and how are their students? Are they happy?

Yeah, but for urm it is fine and the process is holistic. You have the %tile for the MCAT coupled with your near perfect GPA. They know you know the work.
Doesn't matter what the data says. You were invited which means you're on the same level as everyone else, bump the grades ☺.

Thankfully, it is holistic. That was really what I was hoping for...score high enough for them to consider everything else. I knew a 30 is like a threshold for many schools. Some schools...not so much.

If anyone is considering applying to Penn or WashU with an mcat in low 30s, I'd reconsider. WashU never even sent me a secondary lol.

Seems like a really cool thread. Joining.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
My interview at Howard is the end of February.

Morehouse did not show me any love o_O.
How was your SUNY Downstate interview? I have mines mid-Feb?

Congratulations on your acceptance :)!

Thank You!

And yea, MH showed no love unfortunately but I lowkey didn't want to go there anyway. Downstate was...cool lol. I've had warmer welcomes on the interview trail but I still felt a positive vibe from them. The student tour guides were pretty cool and were relatively laid back.

Good Luck on you interview!

Thank You!

And yea, MH showed no love unfortunately but I lowkey didn't want to go there anyway. Downstate was...cool lol. I've had warmer welcomes on the interview trail but I still felt a positive vibe from them. The student tour guides were pretty cool and were relatively laid back.

Good Luck on you interview!

I don't want to go there either, but an interview would have been nice lol
Yeah I live in close proximity to Downstate and it is an amazing school with so many hands on opportunities

Pretty low is relative. What does that mean? Low, nationally or low based on SDN standards?
For example, low on SDN is a <35, but low according to AAMC is anything <25

Around AAMC low

Have no choice ;). I can't afford to re-apply next year because I already use my FAP for this cycle. With 7 interviews, I should have at least one acceptance, lol
That's a lot of interviews, I am sure you will get into at least one of those schools. Do you mind me asking what your stats were (GPA + MCAT)?

Did you start studying or are you waiting on a decision or something?
I suggest you start now because this test can be tedious. I prefer the new one over the old one.
I didn't start studying again yet. I took the new one last year. I will probably start again next month.

Next month for a June exam. The earlier the better. I also took the new exam, and practice exams are key! You need as much time as you can get.
Yea. I am still hopeful for this cycle too.

Hi everyone!! I'm just finding this thread, but I'll contribute :)

- Female
- Applied: 25
- Rejected: 5
- II & Attended: 11 (surprisingly non of these are from my in-state schools)
- Waitlist: 4
- Accepted: 5 :)

Reactions: 6 users

- Female
Someone's having a good cycle.

;)

- Female

What state are you in? What schools accepted yoi?? Congrats by the way! :)

What state are you in? What schools accepted yoi?? Congrats by the way! :)
I live in Florida and the accepted schools are: Case Western Reserve, Tulane, Cincinnati, University of Virginia, and University of Pittsburgh

Reactions: 1 users
Thought I'd put my final update on the page since I'm officially done with the application process:

Non-traditional, African American Male, 1st Generation College Student, SES Disadvantaged
3.0 cGPA, 3.85 gGPA, 510 MCAT (September)
15 schools received my primary app
2 pre-secondary rejections (Morehouse, VCU)
3 schools that I did not send secondaries to (Maryland, UNC, Marshall)
3 rejections pre-interview (Georgetown, GW, UVA)
6 II (Howard, Quinnipiac, Hofstra, EVMS, Drexel, UTHSC)
1 silence (Meharry)
2 Interviews Attended (Howard, Quinnipiac)
2 Acceptances (Howard, Quinnipiac)

I'm really surprised at being finished with my application cycle so early. I figured with taking the MCAT in September and not being complete at schools until mid Oct/early Nov would have set me up for a long application season. However, my first II was from my top choice school and I just received the acceptance which is why I declined 4 II. It is so good to see all of the success that mostly everyone on this thread is having! Keep up the good work and good luck to everyone still searching for the right school!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Thought I'd put my final update on the page since I'm officially done with the application process:

Non-traditional, African American Male, 1st Generation College Student, SES Disadvantaged
2 pre-interview rejections (Morehouse, VCU)
3 rejections post-secondary (Georgetown, GW, UVA)
1 silence (Meharry)

I'm really surprised at being finished with my application cycle so early. I figured with taking the MCAT in September and not being complete at schools until mid Oct/early Nov would have set me up for a long application season. However, my first II was from my top choice school and I just received the acceptance which is why I declined 4 II. It is so good to see all of the success that mostly everyone on this thread is having! Keep up the good work and good luck to everyone still searching for the right school!

Congratulations! Howard or Quinnipiac?

Hey everyone!! I don't post often but I decided to share my stats with my fellow URMs. :shy:

cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.2
MCAT: 502
Non-trad, Puerto Rican female
Texas resident
1.5 years research, no publication
RN for 3 years

Applying to all 10 Texas schools (including Baylor, just to say I did LOL) and Univeristy of Colorado!

Awesome! I was a prior LVN before med school and currently in Texas for residency! Good luck!

2 pre-interview rejections (Morehouse, VCU)
3 rejections post-secondary (Georgetown, GW, UVA)
1 silence (Meharry)

Congrats!!

- Female

Stats?

Gonna do an update :)

9 II
Went to 4 of them
3 acceptances :D:D:D
1 waitlist :oops:

All in all, so blessed and grateful for how everything went this cycle!

Reactions: 7 users
Some rejections, acceptances, and IIs to report:

Non-traditional, Latino
LizzyM 69-70ish (new mcat)
~17 MD schools
6 II Attended (NYU, Cornell, Stony Brook, Mt Sinai, Brown, Harvard)
3 II Withdrawn (Hofstra, Einstein, Dartmouth)
4 Pre-interview Rejection (Georgetown, Hopkins, Penn, Stanford)
4 Silences
4 Acceptances (NYU, Stony Brook, Mt Sinai, Brown)

It appears I interview well, lol. Only 2 schools left to hear back from. Ready for March!

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Didn't know this thread existed. Congrats to all of you, everyone is doing so well :) My cycle hasn't been so great but I have 1 II coming up in a couple weeks and I'm going to give it my all :)

Reactions: 5 users