2015 MCAT / Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drewmz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am a little more than 50% through all of my classes, but I need to take Organic Chemistry. Biochemistry, and I also need to take Physics.

1) Now, my first question is that should I take the OChem and Physics together?

2) Also, do I have to take the more Calculus based Physics or just the introductory based physics with minimal calc. involved?

3) Would it be beneficial to take the 2014 MCAT over the 2015 NEW MCAT?

4) If the 2014 MCAT is beneficial would it hurt me greatly to only have one semester of physics under my belt? (I would be studying a rigorous 8-10 weeks before I take the MCAT, using Kaplan / TPR materials with AAMC prac exams)

Members don't see this ad.

So, I am a little more than 50% through all of my classes, but I need to take Organic Chemistry. Biochemistry, and I also need to take Physics.

1) Now, my first question is that should I take the OChem and Physics together?

2) Also, do I have to take the more Calculus based Physics or just the introductory based physics with minimal calc. involved?

3) Would it be beneficial to take the 2014 MCAT over the 2015 NEW MCAT?

4) If the 2014 MCAT is beneficial would it hurt me greatly to only have one semester of physics under my belt? (I would be studying a rigorous 8-10 weeks before I take the MCAT, using Kaplan / TPR materials with AAMC prac exams)

1) what are the pros and cons? I took physics and Ochem together and it was fine...

2) You can take calc physics or the algebra college physics... all depends on what you need for your major. I actually took "algebra physics 1" and then "calc physics 2" LOL ... I honestly didn't think either was harder than the other, just that physics is way cooler with a calculus mentality.

3) all depends on what you know and study for

4) there is no such thing as a "beneficial" mcat... physics 2 material is on the mcat including electricity and magnetism, circuits, waves, optics, etc.

Sounds like you want to take 2014 mcat and I don't blame you. Why can't you just take it summer 2014 in August? You have a whole year to take O-chem 1,2 physics 1,2

My thoughts:

1) Depends; You should have all chemistry and physics courses out of the way before your MCAT imho. If you can spread organic and physics into different semesters and still get them out of the way before hand then that is what I would do (unless your physics teachers are known to be easy). If that isn't possible, then I advise you take them together.

2) Intro physics will be just fine. For the MCAT you will not need to do any calc based physics (I scored 11 on PS with basic physics)

3) Dk - took the 2012 MCAT and haven't looked into the newer test formats

4) same as above