2015 PRITE Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2015MD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So comments on interpreting 2015 PRITE Scores? Resources for individual topics one finds themselves weak in? For ex. it seems I suck at Emergency & C/L, what resources are there for that?

Members don't see this ad.

The best way to tell is look at the questions assigned to those topics and look at the reference. Often the PRITE sub sections are too small and you miss one or two and you are below 50%. One year ER psych had about 5 questions and they were all about NMS and serotonin syndrome plus one cheese reaction.

Reactions: 1 user
The best way to tell is look at the questions assigned to those topics and look at the reference. Often the PRITE sub sections are too small and you miss one or two and you are below 50%. One year ER psych had about 5 questions and they were all about NMS and serotonin syndrome plus one cheese reaction.

I don't want to thread jack, but as a quick aside, MacDonaldTriad, how strongly do PDs view PRITE? Is it a measure of a residents' clinical performance (is there even any correlation?), or just a formality in training exam?

I am aware that this answer will vary from program to program, but just wondering what the overall consensus is?

Members don't see this ad :)
It does have some validity as a predictor of boards performance so it is useful. I am unaware of any correlation with clinical performance except the fact that people who take their job seriously also see reading as part of their job.

Reactions: 4 users
There's a reasonable correlation between PRITE scores and attending ratings of residents. How much either of those mean remains a question.

At my last program when I was chief there was a definite, if loose, correlation between percentile/raw score, and the quality of work of the resident clinically. It was hardly perfect, and it may have been more of a threshold effect if anything. I'm not sure that residents who scored 90 percentile were consistently better than those that scored in the 60s, but the ones in the 60s were consistently better than those in the 30s.

There's a reasonable correlation between PRITE scores and attending ratings of residents. How much either of those mean remains a question.

At my last program when I was chief there was a definite, if loose, correlation between percentile/raw score, and the quality of work of the resident clinically. It was hardly perfect, and it may have been more of a threshold effect if anything. I'm not sure that residents who scored 90 percentile were consistently better than those that scored in the 60s, but the ones in the 60s were consistently better than those in the 30s.

Yeah, my PD was mostly concerned when someone had a bad score more than anything. We had a PG3 last year whose score was so atrocious I'm not sure he was even trying.

Yeah, my PD was mostly concerned when someone had a bad score more than anything. We had a PG3 last year whose score was so atrocious I'm not sure he was even trying.

Reminds me of super troopers.... "Oh that little guy there? Yeah, I wouldn't worry about him..."

I honestly don't even know how to interpret my PRITE results. I just see us being ranked amongst interns, but I don't have anything objective as to what these numbers mean etc.

I just saw my score report and don't know what percentile i fall under, anyone have any tips?

I honestly don't even know how to interpret my PRITE results. I just see us being ranked amongst interns, but I don't have anything objective as to what these numbers mean etc.

I just saw my score report and don't know what percentile i fall under, anyone have any tips?

Does don't worry about it count as a tip?

The American College stopped reporting year by year averages, but they agreed to report these later this month. As it stands, the overall mean is 500 with a standard deviation of 100. Right now it is very hard to say if PGY-I should be at 400, 425, 450? It is also hard to say what is good for a PGY-IV, 550, 575, 600?

The American College stopped reporting year by year averages, but they agreed to report these later this month. As it stands, the overall mean is 500 with a standard deviation of 100. Right now it is very hard to say if PGY-I should be at 400, 425, 450? It is also hard to say what is good for a PGY-IV, 550, 575, 600?

Yikes, lets just say I got lower than 400 for my standard score.

Your PD will not take it personally. This was taken 3 months into your training. Besides, since we don't know how much people improve between the PGY-I and II years, maybe 300 isn't so bad. We just don't know yet. All I can say is that you are more than a standard deviation below the average resident for all training years.

I did pretty good on my PRITE surprisingly because I felt like I had bombed it. I just hope I don't get a lower score next year and show lack of improvement.

Members don't see this ad :)
huh, we were always given national percentiles for overall and your particular year of training (plus your individual rank within your program both for your own class and overall.

huh, we were always given national percentiles for overall and your particular year of training (plus your individual rank within your program both for your own class and overall.
This has been changed to not have the percentile. Of course if you score anything over a bottom 25 percentile you should roughly have an idea since the mean and SD is given

Hi,
I'd like to find out how to improve my performance on PRITE next year? I did pretty poorly on it this year (intern year) and am feeling pretty crummy about it. I scored in the 5th percentile and I have not had any issues in the past. I'm feeling very sad about it, but I know that I have to improve. No one has said anything to me about it, but it's so hard to muster up the courage to read anything. When I was sutdying for USMLE's I had Uworld which would mimic USMLE questions. I wish there was a similar resource for PRITE.

Please advise. Thanks

Hi,
I'd like to find out how to improve my performance on PRITE next year? I did pretty poorly on it this year (intern year) and am feeling pretty crummy about it. I scored in the 5th percentile and I have not had any issues in the past. I'm feeling very sad about it, but I know that I have to improve. No one has said anything to me about it, but it's so hard to muster up the courage to read anything. When I was sutdying for USMLE's I had Uworld which would mimic USMLE questions. I wish there was a similar resource for PRITE.

Please advise. Thanks
The best resource is the book of questions from the test you took--which should be returned to you by your program.

Hi,

Please advise. Thanks

Don't worry, you will then have nice room to improve. Continue to be active in your training. Read read and read (particularly on conditions/medications/treatments you see each day). As years progress you will be able to integrate information. Being successful in medicine is engaging in learning on your own as well as seeking out help from your supervisors on clinical topics you find challenging.

The best resource is the book of questions from the test you took--which should be returned to you by your program.

They did not return the questions to me. I just got my report.

I wish there was a question bank online or something that would explain answer choices.

I honestly felt so crappy after getting my score report back and looking at the correlation with the boards. I did really well on Step 1 and Step 2 so I'm shocked as to why I am having a difficult time with this.

I wish there was a question bank online or something that would explain answer choices.

I honestly felt so crappy after getting my score report back and looking at the correlation with the boards. I did really well on Step 1 and Step 2 so I'm shocked as to why I am having a difficult time with this.

Don't even think twice about it. You'll pass your boards.

Don't even think twice about it. You'll pass your boards.
Thanks for the re-assurance. My chief was saying a score of 500 correlates with passing the boards. It's so tough to study psychiatry because what you do on a day to basis is not what's tested in my opinion. They don't test the social work type stuff you do

Thanks for the re-assurance. My chief was saying a score of 500 correlates with passing the boards. It's so tough to study psychiatry because what you do on a day to basis is not what's tested in my opinion. They don't test the social work type stuff you do
I'd be interested to hear what he/she is basing that off of.

I know, it's just totally disheartening to know that I got less than 50% of the answers right on the test

I know, it's just totally disheartening to know that I got less than 50% of the answers right on the test

You're doing fine. It just means there is still a lot left to learn. But you already know that. You're still an intern!

Why would they not return your books/answer sheet? You should request it

They returned the answer sheet, but did not return the test booklet.

That's unusual, we receive both every year and it's actually the only paper copy of anything I have kept from residency.

I'm worried because I have also read in our contract that promotion to the next year is dependent on a variety of factors. PRITE scores are one of them. I'm honestly just clueless as to how I screwed up so royally when I have been doing so well on my USMLE's and Med School tests.

I'm worried because I have also read in our contract that promotion to the next year is dependent on a variety of factors. PRITE scores are one of them. I'm honestly just clueless as to how I screwed up so royally when I have been doing so well on my USMLE's and Med School tests.

PRITE scores are seen as a promotional criteria? That sounds very absurd to me.

My understanding is that PRITE cannot be used for advancement according to RRC.

I would be very grateful if you could please show me some evidence of this. Before I found out about my PRITE score in December, my PD (who is also my attending) was very warm and friendly with me, commenting on how good of a job I'm doing. Now that the score is out, I am being constantly badgered and threatened by my Chief resident for bringing the program down and my PD has told me how disappointed he is in me. It's really shaken me to the core as well and has made me very nervous around my colleagues, staff and faculty since they all think I'm incompetent and don't know how to be a good Psychiatrist.

I would be very grateful if you could please show me some evidence of this. Before I found out about my PRITE score in December, my PD (who is also my attending) was very warm and friendly with me, commenting on how good of a job I'm doing. Now that the score is out, I am being constantly badgered and threatened by my Chief resident for bringing the program down and my PD has told me how disappointed he is in me. It's really shaken me to the core as well and has made me very nervous around my colleagues, staff and faculty since they all think I'm incompetent and don't know how to be a good Psychiatrist.

It's called guilt and you fell into the trap.
For full confirmation, contact your institutional RRC. Perhaps one of the PDs on the forum can weigh in.....

I seriously can't believe there is a program that gives a crap about PRITE scores.

I am sorry to hear your PD is such a douche bag. This was exactly the reason that they wanted to stop reporting percentiles for the PRITE - because we knew that it was being abused in this kind of way. Now, a 5 %ile score is pretty bad BUT you are an intern and it is ridiculous to even take the PRITE as an intern except to give you a baseline for future years. Which is not possible anymore because the PRITE 2016 will be a radical departure in content to previous PRITEs and thus does not really give a good comparison. As an intern you have spent much of the year not doing psychiatry at all, and you have 3 years ahead of you where you will be improving your psychiatric knowledge. Assuming that your day to day knowledge is reasonable (I really just want my interns to be able to formulate a reasonable differential diagnosis, know the psychopharmaocology of drugs in acute settings, and formulate a suicide risk assessment) and there are no concerns about your "professionalism" (residents are far more likely to be dinged for having a sucky attitude than sucky knowledge) you should be fine.

Also the breakdown of topics is useless because there are few questions in each area and I certainly wouldn't focus your efforts in that way. Crack open Kaplan and Sadock's Synopsis of psychiatry, read around the cases you are seeing, work your way through my 100 Papers, and read Stahl's Essential Psychopharmacology and you will be doing fine.

If they tried to get rid of you for a PRITE score alone, you could successfully sue them and I would be happy to be an expert witness in the deposition :)

Reactions: 1 users
My understanding is that PRITE cannot be used for advancement according to RRC.
The ACGME's requirements are only that "The program must formally examine the cognitive knowledge of each resident at least annually in the second, third and fourth years, and conduct an examination across biological, psychological, and social spheres that are defined in the program’s written goals and objectives." The PRITE is not required. There is no formal tie-in of this cognitive exam to advancement.
https://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/portals/0/pfassets/programrequirements/400_psychiatry_07012014.pdf

The ACGME's requirements are only that "The program must formally examine the cognitive knowledge of each resident at least annually in the second, third and fourth years, and conduct an examination across biological, psychological, and social spheres that are defined in the program’s written goals and objectives." The PRITE is not required. There is no formal tie-in of this cognitive exam to advancement.
https://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/portals/0/pfassets/programrequirements/400_psychiatry_07012014.pdf

It's funny, can be interpreted in either direction.

Either way Ara, that's pitiful behavior by your program. Normally I'm the advocate for both sides of a story, but how hard you are taking this leads me to believe you outright. If you pm me your email, I will send you some old PRITEs to study from. At the very least, they do recycle questions from year to year so you'll get a few freebies next go round.

I am sorry to hear your PD is such a douche bag. This was exactly the reason that they wanted to stop reporting percentiles for the PRITE - because we knew that it was being abused in this kind of way. Now, a 5 %ile score is pretty bad BUT you are an intern and it is ridiculous to even take the PRITE as an intern except to give you a baseline for future years. Which is not possible anymore because the PRITE 2016 will be a radical departure in content to previous PRITEs and thus does not really give a good comparison. As an intern you have spent much of the year not doing psychiatry at all, and you have 3 years ahead of you where you will be improving your psychiatric knowledge. Assuming that your day to day knowledge is reasonable (I really just want my interns to be able to formulate a reasonable differential diagnosis, know the psychopharmaocology of drugs in acute settings, and formulate a suicide risk assessment) and there are no concerns about your "professionalism" (residents are far more likely to be dinged for having a sucky attitude than sucky knowledge) you should be fine.

Also the breakdown of topics is useless because there are few questions in each area and I certainly wouldn't focus your efforts in that way. Crack open Kaplan and Sadock's Synopsis of psychiatry, read around the cases you are seeing, work your way through my 100 Papers, and read Stahl's Essential Psychopharmacology and you will be doing fine.

If they tried to get rid of you for a PRITE score alone, you could successfully sue them and I would be happy to be an expert witness in the deposition :)

Can you toss me a link about the PRITE changes, splik? I've mentioned this a couple times to different people in my program and I get a "deer in the headlights" look.

Interesting. What are the major anticipated changes to the content? At least broadly speaking.

in with neuroscience and out with psychodynamics, in with systems based practice out with sex therapy, in with professionalism and practice-based learning and out with hypnosis etc. essentially it is supposed to map onto the milestones. IIRC 23% is going to be neuroscience (not neurology, neuroscience - neurology is a further 9%). personally i think this has gone too far and i think there will probably be a huge backlash against this but such as it is. they've also reified DSM-5 so =psychiatric syndromes not in the DSM will no longer be tested.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
in with neuroscience and out with psychodynamics, in with systems based practice out with sex therapy, in with professionalism and practice-based learning and out with hypnosis etc. essentially it is supposed to map onto the milestones. IIRC 23% is going to be neuroscience (not neurology, neuroscience - neurology is a further 9%). personally i think this has gone too far and i think there will probably be a huge backlash against this but such as it is. they've also reified DSM-5 so =psychiatric syndromes not in the DSM will no longer be tested.

Great... replacing entertaining BS questions with "slams head against table" BS questions

Wow, as if I didn't feel bad enough, it seems they are going to make it more vague. I'm really hoping to do a lot better next year.

Great... replacing entertaining BS questions with "slams head against table" BS questions
Choose only the best answer.

Physicians should engage in life-long learning:
a) Enthusiastically and energetically
b) Continuously
c) By participating in CME and keeping up with MOC
d) After finishing their daily work

Hey, do you guys know of a good resource for audio/video learning? I have a long ride on the subway and want something on the go. Thanks

Choose only the best answer.

Physicians should engage in life-long learning:
a) Enthusiastically and energetically
b) Continuously
c) By participating in CME and keeping up with MOC
d) After finishing their daily work

Is... is the answer C? I think it's C.

I seriously can't believe there is a program that gives a crap about PRITE scores.

If you're still scoring low in years 3 and 4 I could see your PD getting worried about you not passing boards and putting a black mark on the program. I'd assume some academic remediation could be in order, but I ain't a PD.