2016-17 Pain Fellowship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

painguy9852

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know its early, but who has applied? Any interviews yet? Either way figure this would be a good spot to post any interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the timeline on applying? Isn't it still too soon to submit?

Interview Dates Offered:

Medical College of Georgia - March 29, 31
University of Kansas - March 21, April 11
Dartmouth-Hitchcock - May 9

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately none of the places I applied are in the "early invitation" club, as none of them have downloaded any of my information from ERAS yet. I regret submitting my application very early, only because it has been making the waiting game more difficult and it has not garnered any early interest. I could have fleshed it out more with some recent things I've done if I had known it wouldn't matter to get it in early, but I didn't have anyone to go to in-person for good advice. I can't go back now, so it's time to sit and wait! Anyone have any updates to add?

I did receive an interview offer from Emory on Feb. 16th and got a rejection from Dartmouth yesterday. The waiting game is very tough, however, it is very early on in the cycle. I found a link from 2015 on here that shows when most of the interview offers were sent out. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/pain-fellowship-match-2015.1121549/page-5
Judging from this, it appears that most offers don't pick up until April-June. So I guess just try your best to relax and take them as they come. That's what I'm trying to do. Good luck!

I have heard from 5 programs that have requested ITE scores and 2 that said they are reviewing applications now. I heard UNC sent out some offers this week. Anyone hear anything else?

Reactions: 1 user
I have heard from 5 programs that have requested ITE scores and 2 that said they are reviewing applications now. I heard UNC sent out some offers this week. Anyone hear anything else?
Yea I've heard from a few about ite scores they also said they will be reviewing apps in May lol. Wat programs said they r reviewing now?

Maryland asked for ITE scores and said they are now reviewing my application. Oregon said they are reviewing as well.

It's a long interview process. You will be getting invites till July!!!

Can you submit an application without having all letters of recommendation in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah man bummer didn't hear from Maryland. Any1 else get invited anywhere else?

Kansas asked for ITE scores today. But apparently some of you guys already have an interview there.

Last year we had to send it separately.

Rush and Dartmouth are excellent programs. Nicely done.

Yes. The only documents you can upload on ERAS are LoR, USMLE transcript, Med School Performance Eval and Transcript, and your photo.

UNC sent out their first invites a couple weeks ago. UC Davis asked for ITE scores today, BID in January. UVA says invites sent out in the near future.

The waiting game is brutal. Have you guys heard from anywhere else? And I know I just need to be more patient!

Last edited:
Nope silence for a couple weeks now. Every time I hear my phone email ring I hope for more lol

I remember this process was brutal. Check out last years thread for a good timeline. As you'll see it extends all the way from end of February to early August

Whichever is available. For most, it'll be CA-1 ITE scores I assume. Some of the programs that send out invites "later" will ask for CA-2 scores as well. Really just depends on the program.

I sent all of my ITE scores and told those that asked for them that I would send CA 2 score as soon as it is available.

I was invited to a program last week and I responded as quickly as I could. They took almost a week to get back to me and then told me all dates were full. I won't say where this was because I don't want to trash any programs by name, but this seemed like an entirely inappropriate approach to me. Just thought everyone should be aware of this type of behavior.

I was invited to a program last week and I responded as quickly as I could. They took almost a week to get back to me and then told me all dates were full. I won't say where this was because I don't want to trash any programs by name, but this seemed like an entirely inappropriate approach to me. Just thought everyone should be aware of this type of behavior.

Is it one of the program's listed on this thread? Or can u state a region/city? Wanna keep an idea of what's been sent out and what hasn't been

That is understandably frustrating. However, last week was match week and I know some of the program coordinators pull double duty and were overwhelmed. Hopefully, this won't be the case going forward.

Is it one of the program's listed on this thread? Or can u state a region/city? Wanna keep an idea of what's been sent out and what hasn't been

It's a program that has already been mentioned herein.

I know which program you're referring to. I don't know if anyone else does that as well. My guess is that they probably wanted to receive as many responses as possible before confirming the interview responses to ensure that they didn't lose out on interviewing their top candidates.

However, I don't want to rush to judgement cuz this could just be the secretary being busy due to the residency match. Somehow this program continues to get bad press - deservedly or not.

To keep the theme going from last year, everyone please post the date you received an invite as well as interview dates

NAME (date interview sent out) - Interview dates

1. Medical College of Georgia (2/15) - March 29, 31
2. University of Kansas (2/15) - March 21, April 11
3. Dartmouth-Hitchcock (2/15) - May 9
4. Emory (2/16) - March 19
5. University of Rochester (3/2) - ??
6. North Carolina (3/4??) - ???
7. Maryland (3/9) - ??
8. Rush (3/16) - ??
9. University of Florida (3/25) - ??

Please repost this and update the list as you get interviews and can fill in the ?? above. This will help people out with organizing interviews. Thanks!

4. Emory (2/16) - March 19
7. Maryland (3/9) - ??
8. Rush (3/16) - ??
9. University of Florida (3/25) - June 15, June 24

4. Emory (2/16) - March 12, March 19
7. Maryland (3/9) - ??
8. Rush (3/16) - May 14, May 31, June 2

7. Maryland (3/9) - ??
10. Baystate Medical Center/Tufts (3/28) - June 16, August 11, 18, September 8

7. Maryland (3/9) - ??
10. Tufts/Baystate (3/28) - June 16, August 11, August 18, September 8

7. Maryland (3/9) - ??
11. University of Chicago (3/28) ????
12. University of Iowa (3/28) ????

7. Maryland (3/9) - ??
11. University of Chicago (3/28) ????
12. University of Iowa (3/28) ????

When do pain interviews actually happen? April - May of the same year or is it of the year before matching? You are all posting interview dates in March, I assume most of you are in your final year of training? It seems some of the 3rd years in our program are interviewing for pain fellowships. How is this possible?

When do pain interviews actually happen? April - May of the same year or is it of the year before matching? You are all posting interview dates in March, I assume most of you are in your final year of training? It seems some of the 3rd years in our program are interviewing for pain fellowships. How is this possible?

It's an year in advance. Current applications and interviews are for the july 2017 start date. Interviews happen anytime from now till august, match date in october, and start the July after.

It's an year in advance. Current applications and interviews are for the july 2017 start date. Interviews happen anytime from now till august, match date in october, and start the July after.

Seriously? Why is the match in October when you don't start until July then? Sorry I guess I'm confused and trying to get more info here. So realistically there's little time to do profound research and stuff like that? I'm finishing my 2nd year in PMR, was going to start the research, rotation, letter process in my 3rd year, so am I late already!?

So are you a pgy-2 or 3? If you are a 3, then yes, you are running way behind

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

So are you a pgy-2 or 3? If you are a 3, then yes, you are running way behind

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

No, I am a PGY-2, but I am freaking out.

You are ok. You will not start applying until winter/spring of 2017. Just know that the time to get started on stuff is now and not 1 year from now if you want to pad your resume at bit before applying.

You are ok. You will not start applying until winter/spring of 2017. Just know that the time to get started on stuff is now and not 1 year from now if you want to pad your resume at bit before applying.

Ok. I guess I thought applications went out during mid- 4th year. Getting published in less than a year is kinda hard. I guess I have to start talking to people now.

Sorry to be obsessive, but is winter/spring meaning Feb-March? I have searched around the forums and some people have told me to apply around New Year/January...and if I'm not mistaken, ERAS opens in December. ..

Also, I'm a Psych Resident (PGY2). Will my research/publications in psych be considered, or will they only regard pain stuff?

Thanks,

People that are receiving interviews, are you finding that they are looking at USMLE scores?

6. North Carolina (2/26) - May 23, June 13, July 18, August 15
7. Maryland (3/9) - ??
9. UC Davis (3/21) - April 26, 29
10. University of Florida (3/25) - June 15, June 24
12. Tufts/Baystate (3/28) - June 16, August 11, August 18, September 8
13. University of Chicago (3/28) ????
14. University of Iowa (3/28) - MWF April, May, June

Just like with any application process, it's program dependent. Some will factor in USMLE scores higher than others--all depends. Important thing is to improve what you can at this point in time, I believe. Cheers.

Sorry to be obsessive, but is winter/spring meaning Feb-March? I have searched around the forums and some people have told me to apply around New Year/January...and if I'm not mistaken, ERAS opens in December. ..

Also, I'm a Psych Resident (PGY2). Will my research/publications in psych be considered, or will they only regard pain stuff?

Thanks,

Most people apply between the end of January and middle of February. Some wait until early/mid March if they don't have everything together yet. For the most part programs don't seem to look at applications until February and most the interviews last year I got were sent out in May and June. Look at last years list to get a better idea of when most of the interviews were offered. I am sure your general pysch research would be considered as it shows you have an interest in doing projects, but it would be nice if you had at least a poster or something related to pain.

Also for the list purposes of this thread I know someone whom interviewed at UCLA already and was offered an interview around the end of Feb and interviewed in March.

Reactions: 1 users