2016-2017 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else waiting on Manhattan Psychiatric Center? :(
I got a mass email rejection last week so I'd stay positive on this one. Good luck hanging in there through the end of this Springfield tire fire of a year.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Sooo this is a bit of a diversion from our typical banter, but as you all know, no one but our clinical comrades really gets how nuts this process is. Therefore, I'm crowd-sourcing my latest curve ball to my fellow soon-to-be-interns in hopes of gathering some grounding advice. Turns out i'm PREGNANT, and due within a couple weeks of when most of my sites start their training year (this wasn't exactly planned--we had fertility treatments to get pregnant with my now-toddler, so I never thought a surprise pregnancy would be in the cards!)

If any of my colleagues out there have words of wisdom for getting creative in terms of how to make life & internship fit together (general or specific; doesn't have to be related to pregnancy!) please lay them on me. I'm excited but totally unsure of how to wrap my head around what happens next...

Sooo this is a bit of a diversion from our typical banter, but as you all know, no one but our clinical comrades really gets how nuts this process is. Therefore, I'm crowd-sourcing my latest curve ball to my fellow soon-to-be-interns in hopes of gathering some grounding advice. Turns out i'm PREGNANT, and due within a couple weeks of when most of my sites start their training year (this wasn't exactly planned--we had fertility treatments to get pregnant with my now-toddler, so I never thought a surprise pregnancy would be in the cards!)

If any of my colleagues out there have words of wisdom for getting creative in terms of how to make life & internship fit together (general or specific; doesn't have to be related to pregnancy!) please lay them on me. I'm excited but totally unsure of how to wrap my head around what happens next...

Well, I know a gal who had a similar problem and her site allowed her to start the internship early, then go on maternity leave and re-start--she ended up finishing on time with her current intern year applications as she started early.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I know a gal who had a similar problem and her site allowed her to start the internship early, then go on maternity leave and re-start--she ended up finishing on time with her current intern year applications as she started early.
Ohhh I'm so glad to hear that!! Thanks for sharing!!

Does anyone who interviewed with the Gulf Coast VA in the past have any tips about the interview process? I think it will be a 1 hr phone interview but not sure... Did others interview only with the TD or were other staff involved? Any curveballs in the interview or more of a get-to-know-you type of thing?

Also, this is one of my favorite sites but I have interviews during their optional Open House days. Do you think it will put me at a disadvantage if I do not attend?

I appreciate any input from others! You can also pm me :)

I got a mass email rejection last week so I'd stay positive on this one. Good luck hanging in there through the end of this Springfield tire fire of a year.
Thank you for your kind words and encouragement! They called yesterday to invite me for an interview...I am still very excited about this!! :D Best luck to you on this crazy process! And thank you again!

I don't have any relevant life experience to offer, I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 3 users

Same, I've heard that usually sites will let you start early or later so that you can have a maternity leave

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

AAAWWW Congrats !!! I just had a baby at the end of therapy prac/ beginning of advanced..... Both TD were very understanding and allowed me to end therapy year early and start advance a month later than everyone else. I was super nervous having the conversation, but sought guidance from my training department on how to word things correctly.

I don't know if this is the best place to put this, but if you're writing thank you notes, what do you put in them? I don't want to put anything that could be construed as ranking information, but I also want to convey appreciation and excitement.

Did you ever get a response to this? I'm not sure what else to say except "thank you for the opportunity", it was great to visit and learn more about the training, blah blah blah...?

EDIT: So, in digging around through past threads it seems like the consensus is NOT to email solely as a "thank you note". In other words, unless you had a follow-up question that you should not email purely to say thanks. Sooooo, don't do it? Thoughts?

Last edited:
Did you ever get a response to this? I'm not sure what else to say except "thank you for the opportunity", it was great to visit and learn more about the training, blah blah blah...?

EDIT: So, in digging around through past threads it seems like the consensus is NOT to email solely as a "thank you note". In other words, unless you had a follow-up question that you should not email purely to say thanks. Sooooo, don't do it? Thoughts?
I didn't write any... Because I am tired.

Reactions: 8 users
I didn't write any... Because I am tired.
A-MEN.

I am 100% burned out after the last 6 months of comps, proposal and internship apps and I'm hoping it doesn't ruin my chances by making me come across as a depressed lump in my interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize for not posting, I swore I saw someone else mention it earlier in the month on this feed but it wasn't in the desired format that most have been posting notifications. I received an interview notification on 12/2 for the correctional track. And they only offered one interview date: 1/13. The email seemed like a semi-mass email, although it did have my name rather than dear applicant like some
of the other true mass emails I have gotten. This site gets a good amount of applicants and their notification date is late so let's hope they are doing rolling notifications and an interview is coming your way.

I also heard on 11/23. I was also only offered one day, but they were super flexible in offering other days for me to come

I wrote something short, just because I was raised to always send a thank you note and would feel weird if I didn't do so.

If you're not particularly inclined to do so, I wouldn't worry about it. It's not going to factor into their ranking of you, and you likely won't get a reply.

I wrote something short, just because I was raised to always send a thank you note and would feel weird if I didn't do so.

If you're not particularly inclined to do so, I wouldn't worry about it. It's not going to factor into their ranking of you, and you likely won't get a reply.

Fwiw: I think it's nice to write a brief, thoughtful email thanking the interviewer for their time and emphasizing your interest in their program (within appic rules of course). However, the forced letters that detail what you discussed/ how much you enjoyed the interview (let's be real, you were anxious, I asked you to basically sell yourself to me using predetermined questions, and this is the most stressful time in your life) is too obvious/ leads to an unintentional eye roll. With that said, I don't remember the people who sent letters vs those who did not.

Source: I am an internship supervisor/conduct internship interviews.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Rejection email from king county hospital in Brooklyn NY this morning.

My policy for thank you notes is to actually just thank people, maybe point out what you enjoyed about the interview, and leave it at that. Don't use it as an opportunity to sell yourself any further.

Congrats!!!

AAAWWW Congrats !!! I just had a baby at the end of therapy prac/ beginning of advanced..... Both TD were very understanding and allowed me to end therapy year early and start advance a month later than everyone else. I was super nervous having the conversation, but sought guidance from my training department on how to word things correctly.

Thank you!! Great to hear from someone who's had a similar experience!

SUNY Oneonta
Personal Email, 1.4.2017
Called to ask me when I schedule a phone or Skype interview at my earliest convenience.

I have an interview at Friends Hospital for the Child/Adolescent track tomorrow but no one has emailed me a schedule of events or location for the interview. I called and emailed... does anyone have any information on this interview?

I have an interview at Friends Hospital for the Child/Adolescent track tomorrow but no one has emailed me a schedule of events or location for the interview. I called and emailed... does anyone have any information on this interview?

There's a very real chance you hear from them later today. You have to remember these sites are extremely busy with interviews and clinic work, so sometimes things go out last second.

There's a very real chance you hear from them later today. You have to remember these sites are extremely busy with interviews and clinic work, so sometimes things go out last second.
That said, waiting till the day before to alert applicants as to where to go for the interview? That's pretty crazy. Not giving a schedule is no big deal; some sites give the schedule the day of, but you'd think they'd at least provide a time-frame (meet at 9; you'll be done by 4) and a location (come to room XXX in Building) well in advance.

Similarly, has anyone heard from Worcester Recovery Center and Hospital/UMass Medical School (General Track) on information about the interview day? I haven't received any information about locations, start and end times of the day, etc. I was wondering if an e-mail went out that missed me somehow.

Hi! Is there a place on here to find out about people's experiences at an internship site or is that kind of taboo to do? I know we can ask interns about their experiences but kind of wanted a non biased point of view.

Hi! Is there a place on here to find out about people's experiences at an internship site or is that kind of taboo to do? I know we can ask interns about their experiences but kind of wanted a non biased point of view.

I was wondering the same thing.

Last edited:

Can you explain what you mean about "non biased"? Do you mean feeling like they can't be honest because they're currently on internship there? In my experience residents were exceptionally honest, especially when I set up phone chats with them. Current interns really do have the best lay of the land of how the internship experience functions.

Can you explain what you mean about "non biased"? Do you mean feeling like they can't be honest because they're currently on internship there? In my experience residents were exceptionally honest, especially when I set up phone chats with them. Current interns really do have the best lay of the land of how the internship experience functions.

I would second this. Additionally, the people most likely to want to give you an opinion on a specific site on here, are not what I would call unbiased. Rather, they tend to be the possibly Axis II type individuals where the problems they had on internship, were in no way connected to the internship site. By and large, some exceptions of course, the interns that were there when you interviewed, are going to give you much better information than someone with an ax to grind on the internet.

It could also be useful if you have any past students from your program who interned there to contact them. Our DCT encouraged us to do that about certain sites if we were unsure or were very excited about the site – after interviewing.

Does anyone know anything about the Ped Psych program at University of Michigan Health System? It's going to the accreditation process, but isn't registered in APPIC. The website says that last interns have gone on to postdocs at good programs. The TD said that applicants who accept offers are expected to drop out of the match.

Any insight into the program's likelihood of getting accredited and thoughts about them not using APPIC is appreciated.

It could also be useful if you have any past students from your program who interned there to contact them. Our DCT encouraged us to do that about certain sites if we were unsure or were very excited about the site – after interviewing.
I have taken this approach. During the interview process, I have chatted with other intern candidates about their experiences at different sites and what folks in their programs have said about their experiences at particular sites. I found these tactics helpful. Most interns who I have spoken with have shared that they are not part of the evaluation process and the conversation has felt candid. Only one current intern from one site seemed to have a terrible experience and it was not clear if it was personality-related or if things are truly that bad.

Is it better to not send a "thank you" email or to send a late "thank you" email? I've been traveling for interviews all this week and hadn't sent "thank you" emails for my interview on Monday. Thanks!

How are people feeling about their interviews? I have to say, I haven't left any feeling that I've done exceptionally well or that I've done exceptionally bad. Just curious as to how others are feeling about the whole process.
I think this is to be expected, when speaking with my school's TDs and even internship site supervisors, this is done to be fair to all applicants which I can appreciate. Personally, I'm ready for the travel and interviews to be done with!

-South Shore Mental Health Center
-Adult Track
-Invite
-Date notified: 12/2/16 @ 6:27pm
-How notified: personal email
- Interview date - 1/11/17
How did your interview go? How did you feel about the site?

Beginning to think about ranking-- are folks ranking all sites, even ones they didn't interview at? I remember reading that sometimes, sites will rank all applicants in order to not go into Phase II. Any info/thoughts would be helpful!

It doesn't make sense [to me] to rank sites that explicitly sent emails saying "we're no longer considering your application." I'm only ranking sites I interviewed at. If you have a site that told you they weren't interviewing but you were still being considered, seems fair game to rank.

It doesn't make sense [to me] to rank sites that explicitly sent emails saying "we're no longer considering your application." I'm only ranking sites I interviewed at. If you have a site that told you they weren't interviewing but you were still being considered, seems fair game to rank.
I agree with this. Some sites indicate that they rank candidates they did not interview, but most clearly communicate that they are no longer considering you if they did not offer you an interview. I will only rank sites that offered me an interview or specified that they rank candidates that they did not interview. It seems like a waste of my time and energy to rank other sites.

Beginning to think about ranking-- are folks ranking all sites, even ones they didn't interview at? I remember reading that sometimes, sites will rank all applicants in order to not go into Phase II. Any info/thoughts would be helpful!
I would definitely be super nervous about ranking sites that I had not a) visited in person, or b) at least interviewed through Skype or phone. Even with my Skype interviews, I was nervous to rank those sites since I hadn't seen them or got the "full" experience. There were definitely places I interviewed where I had a totally different (and often negative) impression versus how I felt after reading the brochure. Actually visiting a site makes a huge difference. Plus, you'll probably match in Phase I since the numbers are getting better and better each year. No need to overshoot.

I would definitely be super nervous about ranking sites that I had not a) visited in person, or b) at least interviewed through Skype or phone. Even with my Skype interviews, I was nervous to rank those sites since I hadn't seen them or got the "full" experience. There were definitely places I interviewed where I had a totally different (and often negative) impression versus how I felt after reading the brochure. Actually visiting a site makes a huge difference. Plus, you'll probably match in Phase I since the numbers are getting better and better each year. No need to overshoot.
Also, I really hope everyone goes through and reads the email people participating in the Match and signed up for the mailing list ("MATCH NEWS: Ranking Questions & Answers") just got. It answers a lot of questions.

Just wanted to wish you all well and remind you that you're in the homestretch now and interviews are almost done, so hang in there! I matched last year and ranking was definitely one of the hardest parts of the process, followed only by waiting to hear about results. This too shall pass!

Next year at this time, you'll get to see the process from the intern side, and it's a lot more fun!

Reactions: 2 users
Me too. So so tired. Three more interviews left

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile
I third this, I am tired and now wrestling with rankings. Top and bottom of the list are set, but the middle is more confusing.

Reactions: 2 users
Me too. So very tired, and probably getting sick. A little more than a week to go and a few more interviews. I feel like I could sleep for a month.