2016-2017 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just checked my temperature and I have a fever... and I'm not done with interviews yet . No idea why I thought I was immune to getting sick during this process!

Members don't see this ad.

I have 20 interviews, the majority are out of state. I am sick of the airport. I physically can't do onsite interviews at every site so I am also doing a lot of phone interviews but those are mentally draining as well. On top of all this, any day or a few hours that I'm free, I'm rushing to my practicum site or seeing offsite patients to make up practicum hours. Weekday nights are spent "studying" for each interview while weekends are spent on my dissertation or class assignments (I have two classes this semester).

I have 4 more interviews to do, 2 of which will be phone interviews done while I'm at the airport because it's the only way I can catch my flight on time to another interview.

I feel so drained - physically and mentally. And I am constantly dealing with the anxiety of "what if I don't match at all"? I can not wait for this to be over.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have 20 interviews, the majority are out of state. I am sick of the airport. I physically can't do onsite interviews at every site so I am also doing a lot of phone interviews but those are mentally draining as well. On top of all this, any day or a few hours that I'm free, I'm rushing to my practicum site or seeing offsite patients to make up practicum hours. Weekday nights are spent "studying" for each interview while weekends are spent on my dissertation or class assignments (I have two classes this semester).

I have 4 more interviews to do, 2 of which will be phone interviews done while I'm at the airport because it's the only way I can catch my flight on time to another interview.

I feel so drained - physically and mentally. And I am constantly dealing with the anxiety of "what if I don't match at all"? I can not wait for this to be over.

Going through this process as well. Sorry for the tough love but why did you apply to so many sites after being informed that applying to more than 15 is not recommended? Moreover, why did you accept 20 interviews? While I agree this is quite a stressful process, much of what you lament about sounds self-imposed. Also, you are worried about not matching at all?!?! Given the number of interviews you have, that scenario is statistically VERY unlikely. Take a deep breath, cancel any outstanding interviews for sites you are not jazzed about, and put all your energy into challenging those anxious thoughts. You really will be fine, and when you inevitably are, please comeback to this.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm hoping to learn more about the Colorado Mental Health Institute at Pueblo. I'm in my 3rd year in a doctoral program and will be completing applications this Fall. I'm VERY interested in this site (this and Western State Hospital are my sites of greatest interest so far). Looking at my school's history, no one in the past handful of years has been successful at securing an interview.

So I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to discuss their interview experiences, and impressions of the site. Also, if you're willing, could you discuss what your impressions are of what the site is looking for and maybe what your stats/experiences are if you secured an interview (or matched!).

Please feel free to direct message me. I tried to search for this site in other forums and could only find it mentioned in threads for interview notifications so I'm hoping I didn't miss it being discussed. Thank you! =)

Does anyone have any information on whether Trump's federal hiring freeze will affect VA internships?

Does anyone have any information on whether Trump's federal hiring freeze will affect VA internships?
There's a thread about this on the main page. Someone posted that internship positions aren't affected.

Reactions: 1 user
I was actually wondering this about the BOP internships as well. Hope no one is affected!

I've noticed that several sites I applied to/interviewed at have a statement on their website that they will let you know prior to rank order day if you're application is no longer being reviewed. I was just wondering if this is a real thing that some sites do--has anyone heard from a site after their interview that they will not be ranked or that their application is no longer being reviewed?

I've noticed that several sites I applied to/interviewed at have a statement on their website that they will let you know prior to rank order day if you're application is no longer being reviewed. I was just wondering if this is a real thing that some sites do--has anyone heard from a site after their interview that they will not be ranked or that their application is no longer being reviewed?

Some sites do it. Most sites presumably just have a DNR (Do not rank) list after their interviews and it is not known. Either way, it shouldn't really affect your own ranking decisions.

Anyone else apply to all VAs and freaking out that there might no be no internship slots for us?

Anyone else apply to all VAs and freaking out that there might no be no internship slots for us?
I am not in your exact situation, but I definitely know that you are not the only one. A post in the thread about the federal hiring freeze indicated that one possibility is that APPIC may delay the match process until more is known about how internships at VAs and BoPs are affected. I imagine that many of us are very anxious about the level of uncertainty and potential problems this has brought to the match process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right there with you. Now I'm obsessively reading threads about VA's, as I was obsessively reading this thread a few [not-so] short weeks ago.

Right there with you. Now I'm obsessively reading threads about VA's, as I was obsessively reading this thread a few [not-so] short weeks ago.

Just got word from a DCT that it's been confirmed (and documented) that internships are exempt. :banana:

Reactions: 1 users
Would anyone consider ranking a non-accredited VA (has had a site visit and received some really good feedback but still awaiting a final response) before an accredited VA? What about before an accredited non-VA? (My goal is to be a VA psychologist). Or am I out of my mind? Obviously I like it a lot.

-Site name: Brigham Young University
-Invite or rejection: Invite
-Date notified: 11/29/2016
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Personal email
-Interview date: January on the 11th, 18th and the 25th
-What you've done lately to cope with this crazy internship process: Binge watching Westworld.
Hi, please do you have couples match pair generator?
Pleeeeese.

Would anyone consider ranking a non-accredited VA (has had a site visit and received some really good feedback but still awaiting a final response) before an accredited VA? What about before an accredited non-VA? (My goal is to be a VA psychologist). Or am I out of my mind? Obviously I like it a lot.

If you really ONLY want to be a VA Psychologist, the non-accredited VA sites are fine. They don't start training sites unless they already comply with accreditation guidelines. But I, personally, would rank all accredited sites higher. I'd want to keep my options as flexible as possible, you don't know what's coming down the road and want to be able to easily find an alternate position if you so choose. I thought I'd be a lifelong VA psychologist, now I'm relishing my job hunt out of federal service. It's not for everyone, and the benefits keep getting slashed.

If you really ONLY want to be a VA Psychologist, the non-accredited VA sites are fine. They don't start training sites unless they already comply with accreditation guidelines. But I, personally, would rank all accredited sites higher. I'd want to keep my options as flexible as possible, you don't know what's coming down the road and want to be able to easily find an alternate position if you so choose. I thought I'd be a lifelong VA psychologist, now I'm relishing my job hunt out of federal service. It's not for everyone, and the benefits keep getting slashed.
What are your thoughts regarding the liklihood of accreditation after a site visit?

Does anyone know what time match results will be emailed on the 17th or what time they have been emailed in the past? The email from Greg Keilin today just said "Results will also be sent via e-mail on the morning of February 17, before 10:00 a.m. Eastern Time."

Does anyone know what time match results will be emailed on the 17th or what time they have been emailed in the past? The email from Greg Keilin today just said "Results will also be sent via e-mail on the morning of February 17, before 10:00 a.m. Eastern Time."
I was out West (Mountain time), and mine came at like 6 in the morning.

What are your thoughts regarding the liklihood of accreditation after a site visit?

High. VA sites don't start a training program unless they have the appropriate training infrastructure in place (generally speaking). Accreditation can be retroactive to a certain step in the process, it just takes a long time in many cases.

High. VA sites don't start a training program unless they have the appropriate training infrastructure in place (generally speaking). Accreditation can be retroactive to a certain step in the process, it just takes a long time in many cases.
Thank you WisNeuro. This is tough.

Thank you WisNeuro. This is tough.

I can empathize. In the end, you need to do what is right for your career aspirations. My advice to most is to make sure you give yourself some flexibility. Choices are nice, you never know if you want to end up moving to a state you never thought you'd live in, or a setting that you never thought you'd work in. Also, those settings change, the VA has drastically changed some of their benefits in recent years (not for the better) and may continue to do so in the current administration. But, other settings could have similar issues, keep an open mind and consider broad aspects (retirement perks, PTO, etc) about your possible jobs. These things matter more than you'd think once you're actually out there and not a trainee anymore.

Can anyone speak to the likelihood of accreditation -- post-APA site visit, having received positive feedback -- for non-VA sites that haven't yet received final word? I'm currently struggling with whether to rank a site in this position last on my list, versus not at all.

Can anyone speak to the likelihood of accreditation -- post-APA site visit, having received positive feedback -- for non-VA sites that haven't yet received final word? I'm currently struggling with whether to rank a site in this position last on my list, versus not at all.

I assume it was the site itself which told you it received positive feedback? If it was actually good feedback, chances are pretty high, but you're going purely on hearsay most likely. I guess it depends on whether or not you actually want to be at that site or not. When it came to sites on the bottom of my list, I had to ask, would I rather be at a site that I di dnot like (for whatever reason) or risk the low chance of not matching and going again next year. In the end, I left two sites off my list entirely.

I received an email in early-mid December with information about the interview process at the Michigan state university counseling center. In the email, it says that as a courtesy, each interviewed applicant will be notified on or before 1/27/2017 with information whether the MSUCC is ranking us or not. I haven't received such an email, and while I realize whether they rank me or not shouldn't impact my rankings, I'd still like to know since I've been expecting this information from them. Has anyone else who interviewed there received this email? If so, was it that you are or aren't being ranked by them? Thanks!

Does anyone know how long it takes for a VA site to become accredited following a site visit? I imagine this varies but as previously mentioned earlier in the thread there is a non accredited VA that I am interested in and offers really good training. The training director seems very confident (though I know this does not mean anything) anyone haveinsight into this? I'd appreciate it

I'm really hoping the emails are sent a little early. I'm scheduled to start work at my prac/GA site with clients at 10 on the 17th on the east coast.

I took the day off as it will go 1 of 2 ways. 1. I'm spending time with family, friends, etc. celebrating. 2. I'm having the realization that I need to get it together to begin applying for round two. Either way, I didn't think I would be in the best head space to see patients.

I would consider ranking it highly. If you loved it go with your gut. Seems a lot of sites get accredited retroactive, to the date of their site visit. Have they told you this would be the case. If you're still nervous are there post doc positions as well? Maybe you could complete your internship and return the following year for a post doc!?

I would consider ranking it highly. If you loved it go with your gut. Seems a lot of sites get accredited retroactive, to the date of their site visit. Have they told you this would be the case. If you're still nervous are there post doc positions as well? Maybe you could complete your internship and return the following year for a post doc!?
I'm still feeling conflicted. If I matched somewhere else and then heard they received accreditation I think I would be disappointed that I didn't take the chance. But yes, I've heard that the accreditation would be back-dated to the site visit date but I believe that you only have to be present for one day of the accreditation to say that you completed an accredited internship. The post-doc question is an interesting one. I know that past and current interns have done pretty well in terms of number of interviews at great sites and positions obtained. There's no arguing that the training isn't top notch.

I'm still feeling conflicted. If I matched somewhere else and then heard they received accreditation I think I would be disappointed that I didn't take the chance. But yes, I've heard that the accreditation would be back-dated to the site visit date but I believe that you only have to be present for one day of the accreditation to say that you completed an accredited internship. The post-doc question is an interesting one. I know that past and current interns have done pretty well in terms of number of interviews at great sites and positions obtained. There's no arguing that the training isn't top notch.
I don't have any advice or suggestions, but I just wanted to say that ranking has been harder than I expected and you are not alone in struggling with decisions. Just a few more days!

Does anyone have sites they applied to with multiple codes (e.g., different tracks)? If so, do people typically rank all codes for a site together or have people split them up if one track is preferred, then maybe ranked a few sites before ranking the 2nd track? Sorry if this question is confusing...

I have two sites like that and I think I may split them up... but only with one in between.

Does anyone have sites they applied to with multiple codes (e.g., different tracks)? If so, do people typically rank all codes for a site together or have people split them up if one track is preferred, then maybe ranked a few sites before ranking the 2nd track? Sorry if this question is confusing...

If I understand the question correctly, I don't think the order you input the sites necessarily matters. You can adjust the individual rank of each site (or of each track per site) by adjusting the number next to each program on your page on the NMS website.

The APPIC website has a good example of how to handle multiple tracks when ranking.

Meanwhile...
75187262.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
I was actually wondering this about the BOP internships as well. Hope no one is affected!

For BoP from matchnews listserv:

BUREAU OF PRISONS - ADDITIONAL RANKING GUIDANCE
Several applicants have asked: What if the BoP programs can't participate in Phase I and I end up matching to a non-BoP position in Phase I? Can I still apply for BoP positions later, if and when they become available?
The answer is no. If the BoP programs are not able to participate in Phase I, and an applicant is matched to a non-BoP program in Phase I, then that applicant must attend the non-BoP program to which they matched. The results of the Match are binding; a matched applicant may not seek a BoP position at a later date.
Some applicants have told us that they have a very strong interest in a BoP internship position and wish to avoid the above scenario. They have asked if it's acceptable to rank only BoP sites in Phase I, which would leave them unmatched if the BoP sites did not participate in Phase I. Being unmatched in Phase I would then leave them free to apply to the BoP programs if and when they became available (e.g., during Phase II or the Post-Match Vacancy Service).
While this is an acceptable approach, it's important to understand the potential risks:
1. By definition, this approach increases one's chances of remaining unmatched.
2. While we are hopeful that BoP positions will be available to applicants at some point in the future, there is no guarantee that will ultimately happen.
3. While we expect a surplus of internship positions this year, there is no guarantee that an applicant who is unmatched in Phase I will be able to secure a suitable position in Phase II or the Post-Match Vacancy Service. This is particularly true if the applicant wants to obtain an APA- or CPA-accredited position.
4. Even if BoP positions do become available, they may not be offered until the Post-Match Vacancy Service, which means that the applicant would need to remain unmatched in Phase I and Phase II in order to be eligible for those positions. In other words, the wait for BoP positions to become available could be weeks or months.
Please contact me at (512) 410-0002 if you wish to discuss your specific situation.
BUREAU OF PRISONS - LIST OF PROGRAMS
The following BoP sites are impacted by the federal hiring freeze and all programs at these sites will be removed from the Match by APPIC if we do not receive notice of an exemption:
1133 - Metropolitan Detention Center - Los Angeles, CA
1222 - Federal Bureau of Prisons - Tallahassee, FL
2126 - Federal Correctional Complex - Terre Haute, IN
1407 - Federal Correctional Complex - Butner, NC
2169 - Federal Correctional Complex - Petersburg, VA
2365 - Federal Correctional Complex, Allenwood - White Deer, PA
1575 - Federal Correctional Institute - Fort Worth, TX1167 - Federal Correctional Institution, Terminal Island - San Pedro, CA1385 - Federal Medical Center - Rochester, MN1743 - Federal Medical Center, Carswell - Fort Worth, TX1722 - Federal Medical Center, Devens - Ayer, MA1311 - Federal Medical Center - Lexington, KY1398 - U.S. Medical Center for Federal Prisoners - Springfield, MO
The following program is also impacted by the freeze and will be removed from the Match by APPIC if we do not receive notice of an exemption for the BoP positions; however, other programs at this site are NOT affected by the freeze:140912 - University of North Carolina School of Medicine - Chapel Hill - "Clinical Forensic" program only(All other programs at this site are available and NOT affected by the freeze)

IHS however are not affected thankfully

No official word from BoP or appic yet but I found this memorandum released today (released around 5pm or so). The BoP psychology internship falls under the "pathways" internship program. Look at item 3h on this form. I'm 99.9% sure that means the exemption came through.

https://www.chcoc.gov/content/federal-civilian-hiring-freeze-guidance

3. Exemptions:
h. Appointments made under the Pathways Internship and Presidential Management Fellows (PMF) Programs (this does not include the Recent Graduates Program). Agencies should ensure that such hires understand the provisional nature of these appointments and that conversion is not guaranteed.

Guys, it's February.

Reactions: 3 users
I know this is an extremely neurotic question as the email I have received states in bold, "there is nothing further you need to do." But after I submit my rank order list and it is certified, I can log out and impatiently wait until 2/17? Please humor me in my reassurance-seeking question.

I know this is an extremely neurotic question as the email I have received states in bold, "there is nothing further you need to do." But after I submit my rank order list and it is certified, I can log out and impatiently wait until 2/17? Please humor me in my reassurance-seeking question.
I can relate. I keep logging back in to make sure my list is still certified. So far so good haha

Reactions: 4 users
So, forgive my neuroticism...if a program is technically showing up as withdrawn from the match we should still rank them anyway in case they become active again? I go to certify my list and a big warning message pops up about the withdrawn program that is making me a bit nervous.

Eh I would. It won't hurt you.

Anyone else have a Texas site that's affected by the governor's announcement of a hiring freeze? APPIC just sent an email with guidance on ranking these.

Sent from my XT1080 using SDN mobile

Anyone else have a Texas site that's affected by the governor's announcement of a hiring freeze? APPIC just sent an email with guidance on ranking these.

Sent from my XT1080 using SDN mobile
And from my knowledge, some Texas sites have clarified already to their applicants about whether they're affected.