[2016-2017] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sure nobody actually knows the answer, but I figure what the hell... anybody have any idea how good we should feel about programs that we haven't gotten correspondence from, but we know have sent out rejections? Is that like as good as getting waitlisted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone interviewed at SUNY upstate? I was wondering what time the interview day is finished. I'm trying to plan flights. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm sure nobody actually knows the answer, but I figure what the hell... anybody have any idea how good we should feel about programs that we haven't gotten correspondence from, but we know have sent out rejections? Is that like as good as getting waitlisted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could be that, or it could be they haven't reviewed your app yet. Not to be a downer! I just know a couple of places have slammed me on their second round of rejections. I am hoping though that some places where I haven't been rejected and others have are just full and waiting for slots to open up

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am sitting here with 50 applications out, 10 rejections, and zero interview invites (two of my aways interviewed me while I was there, so I guess they count). Steps 1 & 2 both 240s, aways H/H/HP. Added a few lower-tier programs a couple of weeks ago.

Had my advisor review my app and SLOEs and was told "I don't understand why you aren't getting interviews. No red flags in your app. You are an average candidate."

Soooo....is "you are an average candidate" code for "Think about another specialty" or "Hang in there and wait - we've already invited the superstars, and are working our way through the rest of the apps" ?

I know it's just early November and interviews go through January/February but still. . . .
make sure that you have assigned all your documents to the programs (esp LOR.. your app may be sitting around incomplete. I was in a similar situation and once i realized i contacted every program and got interviews.

Last edited:
What are some of the best and worst program websites you've come across?

Mother eff. I just found out I got a Pass on my away rotation. For those who haven't memorized my resume yet, for the record, I'm now the proud owner of two passing SLOEs -- one at home, and now one at my away. And not great Step scores. Nevermind that I'm really confused about this second P -- I thought I had improved significantly -- I just don't know what this means for my chances. Question #1: Do I upload this SLOE? I know the conventional wisdom is that you need two SLOEs to get ranked, so I'm not sure what the alternative would be if I pocket this SLOE. Question #2: Obviously I can kiss matching at my away goodbye, but how much will this hurt my chances at other programs? If I've done okay -- but not great -- at getting interviews so far with my one P SLOE uploaded, will having a second P SLOE kill me at these places come ranking season?

God, this process is really demoralizing.

Mother eff. I just found out I got a Pass on my away rotation. For those who haven't memorized my resume yet, for the record, I'm now the proud owner of two passing SLOEs -- one at home, and now one at my away. And not great Step scores. Nevermind that I'm really confused about this second P -- I thought I had improved significantly -- I just don't know what this means for my chances. Question #1: Do I upload this SLOE? I know the conventional wisdom is that you need two SLOEs to get ranked, so I'm not sure what the alternative would be if I pocket this SLOE. Question #2: Obviously I can kiss matching at my away goodbye, but how much will this hurt my chances at other programs? If I've done okay -- but not great -- at getting interviews so far with my one P SLOE uploaded, will having a second P SLOE kill me at these places come ranking season?

1. Upload the SLOE. Program directors across the board agree that not uploading an away SLOE is a red flag.

2. This is hard to answer not knowing the details of your away experience. If you did well clinically, but for some reason did poorly on a final exam, then this could be more easily explained in an interview setting/less likely to affect your ranking. Probably a bigger deal if it was based on interpersonal/character issues.

Best of luck.

So it depends. While programs like it when you have two SLOEs, many just require one at a minimum. Similarly, schools prefer an away SLOE because theoretically the away institute doesn't have any ties to you so their opinion should be less biased then perhaps your home institute's SLOE. Having said that, how many programs did you apply to and how many invites have you received with just your home SLOE? In my opinion, I would upload it to your home institute and ask your advisor as soon as you can if there are any red flags in it. If not, I'd say go ahead and upload it. Otherwise, I don't see it hurting you.

1. Upload the SLOE. Program directors across the board agree that not uploading an away SLOE is a red flag.

I'm going to have to disagree with this. I don't think not uploading an away SLOE is a red flag at all. I did an away pretty late and so I only had my home SLOE in and still got 5 invites. Programs certainly may ask why you chose not to upload it and that may be a sticky situation during the interview but I don't think not having an away SLOE uploaded itself is a red flag. Just my 2 cents

2. This is hard to answer not knowing the details of your away experience. If you did well clinically, but for some reason did poorly on a final exam, then this could be more easily explained in an interview setting/less likely to affect your ranking. Probably a bigger deal if it was based on interpersonal/character issues.

Thanks for your advice! I am working to get some insight into whether the actual letter itself reflects any red flags other than the fact that I was just average overall. The feedback I received during the rotation didn't suggest that there were interpersonal/character issues, but I guess I'd be surprised if those giving feedback were very forthcoming about that. My evals from most rotations are generally pretty positive about my personality and patient interactions, so I'd be surprised if folks at my away suddenly had a lot of negative things to say on that front. But I guess i have no idea. I do know that I only passed the exam, but it's not like the exam was worth more than half of the overall grade.

So it depends. While programs like it when you have two SLOEs, many just require one at a minimum. Similarly, schools prefer an away SLOE because theoretically the away institute doesn't have any ties to you so their opinion should be less biased then perhaps your home institute's SLOE. Having said that, how many programs did you apply to and how many invites have you received with just your home SLOE? In my opinion, I would upload it to your home institute and ask your advisor as soon as you can if there are any red flags in it. If not, I'd say go ahead and upload it. Otherwise, I don't see it hurting you.

Thanks, I will definitely see if my home PD can read the letter and let me know if it's in my interest to upload. I applied to a ton of programs -- more than 100 -- but could have easily applied to 50 less and probably had the same results so far. I wanted to throw my hat in the ring for a bunch of reaches in case I got lucky (which hasn't worked but no regrets). I have 12 interviews but that includes my home and away interviews, which I'm basically disregarding at this point. I'd feel a little better with a few more interviews, especially with this new revelation and all of the panic about this being an even more competitive year, but I'm not expecting any more invites at this point in the season.

Thanks for your advice! I am working to get some insight into whether the actual letter itself reflects any red flags other than the fact that I was just average overall. The feedback I received during the rotation didn't suggest that there were interpersonal/character issues, but I guess I'd be surprised if those giving feedback were very forthcoming about that. My evals from most rotations are generally pretty positive about my personality and patient interactions, so I'd be surprised if folks at my away suddenly had a lot of negative things to say on that front. But I guess i have no idea. I do know that I only passed the exam, but it's not like the exam was worth more than half of the overall grade.

Thanks, I will definitely see if my home PD can read the letter and let me know if it's in my interest to upload. I applied to a ton of programs -- more than 100 -- but could have easily applied to 50 less and probably had the same results so far. I wanted to throw my hat in the ring for a bunch of reaches in case I got lucky (which hasn't worked but no regrets). I have 12 interviews but that includes my home and away interviews, which I'm basically disregarding at this point. I'd feel a little better with a few more interviews, especially with this new revelation and all of the panic about this being an even more competitive year, but I'm not expecting any more invites at this point in the season.

Dude, stop freaking out. 12 interviews = 99% matching rate.

There are people with 240/250 boards and Honors in rotations that are hardly getting ANY interviews.

Yep. 250/250 here with 7 interviews, including home and aways. Haven't heard anything in weeks despite emailing a bunch of PDs. Not feeling great

I have 12 interviews but that includes my home and away interviews, which I'm basically disregarding at this point.

Honestly I think you're fine. 12 invites is great. The graphs used in the past that correlate # of ii with acceptance rate includes home and away rotations. Lots of people don't go on more than 10 interviews and most stop around 12. You're right where you want to be imo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, stop freaking out. 12 interviews = 99% matching rate.

There are people with 240/250 boards and Honors in rotations that are hardly getting ANY interviews.

Honestly I think you're fine. 12 invites is great. The graphs used in the past that correlate # of ii with acceptance rate includes home and away rotations. Lots of people don't go on more than 10 interviews and most stop around 12. You're right where you want to be imo.

Thanks to you both -- I am definitely working on trying to chill out after the initial panic last night! I guess I just wanted to make sure that I can still feel confident in the "12 interviews = near match certainty" algorithm when I got the interviews before uploading another Pass SLOE. If the consensus is that most of these programs are still likely to rank me even with the new SLOE uploaded (as long as it's not a brutal character attack), then I'll take it. Thanks again!

Hello everyone,
I would like to know your opinions about my situation - as it may be dire. I received 11 interviews due to research and dedication to the field, along with great clerkship grades and honors in EM rotations and great SLOEs. I had a 220 STEP I. Have a red flag from one pre-clerkship F.

I just got CK back and I literally passed by 1 point. My home PD says that everyone will be asking me on interviews about CK (and they have been) because I was below average on STEP I. He says if I hide it or lie they will eventually find out, as I have to release it to rank. I agree that I should be honest and forthcoming. He says I am at danger to not match because I can be seen as a risk to not pass the EM boards.

Wondering if anyone has advice. With 11 or 12 interviews I have a pretest probability of 97% for matching, however I would certainly agree that I have reached 11 interviews a different way than other people, and my academic record is comparatively suspect.

Hello everyone,
I would like to know your opinions about my situation - as it may be dire. I received 11 interviews due to research and dedication to the field, along with great clerkship grades and honors in EM rotations and great SLOEs. I had a 220 STEP I. Have a red flag from one pre-clerkship F.

I just got CK back and I literally passed by 1 point. My home PD says that everyone will be asking me on interviews about CK (and they have been) because I was below average on STEP I. He says if I hide it or lie they will eventually find out, as I have to release it to rank. I agree that I should be honest and forthcoming. He says I am at danger to not match because I can be seen as a risk to not pass the EM boards.

Wondering if anyone has advice. With 11 or 12 interviews I have a pretest probability of 97% for matching, however I would certainly agree that I have reached 11 interviews a different way than other people, and my academic record is comparatively suspect.

Just submit in January once all your interviews are done. If they ask about it then be honest with your score.

Hello everyone,

I personally wouldn't release the information. It will probably hurt your chances in terms of getting interview invites. It is also better to justify/explain what happened with your score during the interview.

Hello everyone,

You need to talk to your advisor at your home institution. We can only speculate from the perspective of people who are going through the process and are quite neurotic. Take everything on this site with a grain of salt. It may be fine, it may not, but we don't know jack. :)

I'm sorry this happened. Hopefully the rest of your application is strong enough to get through this!

So anyone else still have yet to hear back from the majority of programs they applied too? I applied to +80 and still waiting to hear back from around 50 of them. Is it wrong to assume that all spots are filled at this point and that any ii sent out will be to fill cancellations?

So anyone else still have yet to hear back from the majority of programs they applied too? I applied to +80 and still waiting to hear back from around 50 of them. Is it wrong to assume that all spots are filled at this point and that any ii sent out will be to fill cancellations?

I have interviewed with other applicants who got the call only a day or two ahead of time to fill an open spot. Probably not common but it happens.

Anyone know about the pre-interview dinner (ie time, location) at Crozer-Chester? Interview on is on Monday, dinner is supposedly tomorrow night but I haven't heard anything from the program regarding it...Thanks!

I'm also interviewing monday. I didn't even know there was a dinner. I've gotten no information regarding this.

I'm also interviewing monday. I didn't even know there was a dinner. I've gotten no information regarding this.

In the confirmation email it just mentioned that information regarding the pre-interview dinner was to follow and I guess we're in the same boat with not receiving information about it. But the likelihood of both of us missing such an email is minimal, so maybe plans changed and there isn't one. If I hear anything either way I'll post it here =)

In the confirmation email it just mentioned that information regarding the pre-interview dinner was to follow and I guess we're in the same boat with not receiving information about it. But the likelihood of both of us missing such an email is minimal, so maybe plans changed and there isn't one. If I hear anything either way I'll post it here =)

An email was sent last night; if anyone needs the info, PM me.

I guess there are not many people left panicking? Am I that guy at a house party that's overstaying his welcome?

Had anyone interviewed at Maimonides? What time does the interview day end? Need to make plans. Thanks!

I guess there are not many people left panicking? Am I that guy at a house party that's overstaying his welcome?

Ha I'm still riding the panic bus. I'm guessing we've just exhausted ourselves that we no longer have the energy to keep posting on sdn on what our future has in store :corny:

I just stay hopeful everyday......havent heard from anyone in 3.5 weeks now.....misery loves company

Hey guys. Having A bit of an interview emergency. This might be a long shot, but can anyone who interviewed at UT Southwestern for EM please send me the exact location for where we meet at 715? I just realized (night before) that the email I was sent (I got sent a separate email than other students) mentioned an attachment that wasn't actually attached which is supposed to contain this information. I only know the address of the building but not the actual building or room number we are meeting in. I emailed the PC but I don't know if she'll see it before 715 when I'm supposed to be there. Please help if you can

I have a 1/06 interview at University of Florida-Jacksonville. Would really like a 12/12 date since I'll be in the area 12/9. If anyone can switch, I'd really appreciate it:)

How are DO students doing with invites?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm a DO and can speak only for myself and a few people from my school who are competitive applications in terms of class rank, scores, SLOEs, etc. A few of us currently have 15+ interviews, in my case almost all of them came between the 2nd-4th week of October. It's been an incredibly slow November. I did however get rejected from 2 programs, one who I found out later does not interview/accept DOs, and another who only interviews DOs if you rotated with them. So it seems either we are a no from the get-go bc that's not their thing, or we are just as competitive as our MD counterparts with similar scores and good SLOEs. (That may partially be my rose-colored glasses speaking.... if you are a competitive DO student and are having a different experience, please correct me).

I will say most of us have done/will do between 3-5 Sub-Is in order to get more SLOEs, so that may be one big difference.

EDIT: 15+ interview INVITES... we are not sitting on over 15 interviews.

Last edited:
I'm a DO and can speak only for myself and a few people from my school who are competitive applications in terms of class rank, scores, SLOEs, etc. A few of us currently have 15+ interviews, in my case almost all of them came between the 2nd-4th week of October. It's been an incredibly slow November. I did however get rejected from 2 programs, one who I found out later does not interview/accept DOs, and another who only interviews DOs if you rotated with them. So it seems either we are a no from the get-go bc that's not their thing, or we are just as competitive as our MD counterparts with similar scores and good SLOEs. (That may partially be my rose-colored glasses speaking.... if you are a competitive DO student and are having a different experience, please correct me).

I will say most of us have done/will do between 3-5 Sub-Is in order to get more SLOEs, so that may be one big difference.

EDIT: 15+ interview INVITES... we are not sitting on over 15 interviews.

Just curious - what type of programs are you getting all these ii's from? 15+ is no small amount - definitely a great accomplishment. Are they a mix of AOA and ACGME programs? Top tier programs vs mid tier?

Just curious - what type of programs are you getting all these ii's from? 15+ is no small amount - definitely a great accomplishment. Are they a mix of AOA and ACGME programs? Top tier programs vs mid tier?

Sure - all ACGME. I am not participating in the AOA match. In terms of type of program, a mix, but I can tell you that my application list is geographically based, and I applied to all programs in Texas and surrounding states, with a few random Florida/ Midwest programs (34 total). All 4 of my SLOEs come from the Texas region and I assume that's been a big factor, since most of my invites have been from that region as well.

Also- my friend who has about the same amount of invites did things completely different - but applied to 70 total programs. All ACGME, all over the country, top vs mid-tier, 4 SLOEs from all over the place.

DO here, did three aways across the country, applied to 70 ACGME residencies, received 22 interview invites (only going on 13, cancelled the rest) mostly in the midwest and southwest. I've only had rejections the past three weeks, no new invites.

Reactions: 1 users
Sure - all ACGME. I am not participating in the AOA match. In terms of type of program, a mix, but I can tell you that my application list is geographically based, and I applied to all programs in Texas and surrounding states, with a few random Florida/ Midwest programs (34 total). All 4 of my SLOEs come from the Texas region and I assume that's been a big factor, since most of my invites have been from that region as well.

I've heard that SLOEs carry more weight than step scores (and step 2 carries more weight than step 1). I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if there is any advantage to having that many SLOEs. I only submitted 2, which I'm assuming for most MD applicants is the average. You don't have to share numbers, but were your step scores above average? Just want to know what you and your friends secret was :claps:

I've heard that SLOEs carry more weight than step scores (and step 2 carries more weight than step 1). I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if there is any advantage to having that many SLOEs. I only submitted 2, which I'm assuming for most MD applicants is the average. You don't have to share numbers, but were your step scores above average? Just want to know what you and your friends secret was :claps:

Sure I have no problem sharing my scores. I was a bit above average, ~240/250+. I was also told Step scores are not as important as SLOEs etc, and I think if anything my scores simply put me on a level playing field with my MD counterparts, at least for programs that tend to vet DO applicants a bit more rigorously. I do believe all of my SLOEs ranked me in the top 10% or top 1/3, for what it's worth. Safe to say I worked my tail off on aways, and always picked up extra shifts/switched shifts to work with PDs/aPDs/clerkship coordinators. If put on the spot, I would certainly say my SLOEs are probably what gave me a slight advantage. I also sent a letter (email) of interest to programs within my top ~15 that I hadn't heard from yet once I got my final SLOE uploaded.

Reactions: 1 users
So my first and only SLOE was uploaded Tuesday (late, I know, I was only able to get one away in October because I decided on EM late, around May/June). Do I need to contact programs and let them know? I'm panicking a little now, sitting on 8 AOA invites and only 2 ACGME invites. Should I start sending love letters to programs?

(I'm a DO student, 214 step 1, 248 step 2, 495 comlex 1, 650 comlex 2, 1 general EM letter, 1 SLOE (just uploaded) applied to 85 ACGME programs and 25 AOA programs, mostly in the midwest/northeast)

So my first and only SLOE was uploaded Tuesday (late, I know, I was only able to get one away in October because I decided on EM late, around May/June). Do I need to contact programs and let them know? I'm panicking a little now, sitting on 8 AOA invites and only 2 ACGME invites. Should I start sending love letters to programs?

(I'm a DO student, 214 step 1, 248 step 2, 495 comlex 1, 650 comlex 2, 1 general EM letter, 1 SLOE (just uploaded) applied to 85 ACGME programs and 25 AOA programs, mostly in the midwest/northeast)
I mean, at this point what are they going to do? Not send you an invite? I'd imagine you'll get more love from DO programs with your scores, but again not a lot to lose at this point. You don't need to tell them your SLOE was uploaded, but yeah why not send some love letters.

I'm going to be canceling ~5 interviews next week.
January dates.
Hope they flow SDN's way, brethren.

Reactions: 3 users
Do I need to contact programs and let them know?

I would do two things
a) Contact all programs you haven't heard from yet letting them know your SLOE is in
b) Contact your top/most desired programs with some words showing a little extra love

It's been 4 weeks now since I heard from any program. Just two rejections. Am I da only one going thru this?

It's been 4 weeks now since I heard from any program. Just two rejections. Am I da only one going thru this?

Nope!

No love for 3 weeks now. And my advisor just told me I need to scrounge up a few more invites. But how??

I recently got an interview invite after nearly 4 weeks of nothing but a rejection here and there. Is it safe to assume that when programs send out invites this late that you're on the bottom of their rank list?

I recently got an interview invite after nearly 4 weeks of nothing but a rejection here and there. Is it safe to assume that when programs send out invites this late that you're on the bottom of their rank list?

I understand why you would say that, but why even interview anyone if they've already ranked people based on pre-interview desirability?