[2016-2017] Emergency Medicine Rank Order List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've heard almost nothing after interviews from programs other than generic thanks for interviewing emails. Should I stress out or nah?
Nah.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No reason to stress.

Out of the 160+ EM residencies out there only a small minority send out love letters.

Do the chairs at any of your home EM programs call on your behalf to your number 1 program? Give an added recommendation or something... I have seen it done in some other departments.

I've heard almost nothing after interviews from programs other than generic thanks for interviewing emails. Should I stress out or nah?
I say nah. Of 16 interviews I've had 2 follow up emails to ask if I have any more questions and 1 telling me to remember to upload step 2 scores. 13 nothing. No stress from my end. If I was a PD/APD I wouldn't want to follow up with 100+ people. If they liked you enough to take the time to interview you, they'll rank you too. Don't stress

I met someone on the trail a couple of months ago that was openly saying how malignant UTH was. Anyone hear anything similar? The applicant seemed pretty convinced as she was telling people not to interview there.

Rumors are rumors. You can only go by your gut. And some people are really crappy gunners who want to improve their chances by sabotaging others.

Submitted anonymously, via Google Form.

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 240, Step 2: 240
EM rotations: HP/HP/HP
Medical school region: South
Anything else that made you more competitive?
'My good looks'

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Location and gut feeling from rotation or interview

1) BIDMC - Spent a month here and got to do more and learn more than probably any other time in my med school career. Focuses on independent practice. Internal EMR is great. Good group of people and non-boring conferences.

2) SLR - Different vibe than other NY programs. Friendly group of people. Subsidized housing. ED looked busy despite being in a nice part of manhattan.

3) Harbor - busy county experience. Lots of indigent patients. just seems very strong clinically with confident residents

4) UT Houston - feels like home. Large program with a number of hospitals. Would get to see lots of practice environments. Houston is very comfortable to live in.

5) UT San Antonio - upstart program with a mission. Lots of vets on staff and a very driven PD. Feels like a program with an upward trajectory and lots of leadership roles to take on

6) Baystate - Focus on resident wellness with a very sincere PD. Hospital is busy and good looking. Unfamiliar with the area, certainly less busy than Boston but seems like there is a college scene

7) Allegheny - Very old hospital with a lot of tradition, somehow doesn't seem rundown. Residents are well adjusted and faculty are approachable and doing various things to advance the field of EM.

8) Methodist - loved park slope. Program seems like a typical NYC community shop with a very busy ED. Small facilities but busy, busy, busy

9) NYPQ - great immigrant patient population. Hospital has some new buildings. Another busy NYC shop.

Rest of list: Kaweah delta, riverside, siuh, Corpus Christi

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 250, Step 2: 272
EM rotations: H/H
Medical school region: West Coast
Anything else that made you more competitive: Step scores, clinical grades (one HP 3rd year, the rest H's), strong SLOE from a respected program

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL:
1. Perceived fit with residents & faculty
2. Job prospects - breadth & depth of alumni network
3. Breadth of clinical experience - academic, county, community
4. Location
5. Critical care prospects - EM/CCM faculty, fellowship placement of recent grads

Of note: 1 = 2, > 3 >> 4 or 5. We make so many arbitrary distinctions in this process, based on such small snapshots we experience from each program, going into it with concrete criteria for judging programs can be very helpful. I want an academic experience where I can carve out a niche, with the possibility of doing whatever (fellowship, academic or good community gig), wherever, after I graduate.

1) Denver Health
Pros - felt very at home at the resident dinner and enjoyed the faculty I met, the breadth of clinical experiences is excellent with DH covering the county and UC covering the academic side, I really vibe with the "learn by experience/trial by fire" attitude, strong history and thus a huge alumni network (especially in the west), the program has an attitude of constant improvement, strong commitment to graduated responsibility, Denver has all the outdoor opportunities I'm into on the weekends, several EMCCM faculty on staff, although some might count the medicine floor month as a big downer, it's very useful to have an IM month already in place without taking out any elective time (since it's part of the ABIM CCM fellowship prereqs), recently has placed a few residents in fellowship programs I'm very interested in, one of the few places where I already have friends in the area

Cons - not as much elective time as some of the other 4 years

2) Cincinnati
Pros - fit very well with the faculty and residents, surprisingly diverse clinical settings (UC serves as a county type population, with an academic flair), department chair is an integral piece of the department and not a distant admin figure, unparalleled financial resources, room to carve out a CCM track with interest from new PD, several EMCCM faculty, PD transition will allow Stettler more time to work clinically (residents I spoke to were stoked about this prospect), ownership of the SRU in third year, graduated responsibility, Air Care shifts allow for excellent autonomy in critical care situations early in your training, oldest program in the country = huge alumni network replete with PD's/chairs/faculty in every geographic region, more elective time (6.5 mo) than any other program, program-wide commitment to continual improvement, COL in Cincinnati is a big improvement from my current spot and the recreational opportunities are not as bad as I initially thought

Cons - even being optimistic, Cinci as a city is not great, EM is the big dawg in the hospital, the resident population is not as diverse as some of the other programs I visited

3) Stanford
Pros - fit really well with the faculty and residents, probably the most welcoming interview experience I had, great academic support for research, critical care track through pathway programs, strong EMCCM faculty on staff, good diversity of clinical experience with SC Valley giving a high volume experience, would be able to live near friends, the bay is dope (rich of social opportunities), strong off service rotations, true commitment to resident wellness rather than bull**** lip service of some other programs, shiny new ED coming soon, for what that's worth.

Cons - the bay is expensive AF (COL, traffic), sites are far apart, newer program, although this could be overcome by the power of the name for some

4) Brown
Pros: total dark horse for me, felt very at home at the interview dinner, excellent diversity of faculty (in both background and medical interests), surprisingly large catchment with the volume per resident to match, strong diversity of sites without long commutes, graduated responsibility, critical care alley run by PGY2/3, awesome PD who is committed to her residents beyond the hospital, strong critical care experience, new EMCCM faculty, many residents involved in leadership of national organizations with lots of support from admin, improved US program with frequent reviews on Qpath, a lot of interesting resources (ED specific MRI, cath lab in ED, etc.), Newport ED rotation sounds dope, good amount of NIH money

Cons: Providence is not my jam

5) Indiana
Pros - awesome amount of critical care time for a 3 year, peds experience, diversity of clinical experiences, strong history and thus a huge alumni network, solid CCM faculty, academic track with CCM focus, chill residents overall, impressed with the size and diversity of faculty, very relatable PD, great new county hospital (gotta admit, I loved the roof top garden), all sites are high volume, large program for a 3 year (60 residents), strong emphasis on residents' ownership of the program

Cons - didn't quite fit, less time for ABIM prereqs if that's the way I wanted to go, Indy is less than ideal as a location for my interests

6) Wash U
Pros - strong critical care curriculum, great research opportunities (especially in critical care), several EMCCM faculty in the program and have fellowships in ABA/ABEM and ABIM/ABEM tracks, good patient mix of the affluent & inner city, supportive ancillary staff per the residents, ambitious program from the top down, cheap COL in STL, accessible hospital in a much nicer neighborhood than I expected, I appreciated the focus on training residents to teach, PD was very relatable, interested in innovation and a total badass; seemed genuinely interested in recruiting like-minded individuals to the program, strength of off-service rotations was a theme of the interview day.

Cons - less established program and thus smaller alumni network than others on my list, slightly worried about the status of EM at the institution (a division as of 2016), and getting pushed aside on off-service months, some suggestion at the interview that the residents are work averse, kind of luke-warm on faculty I met, limited community exposure, EM is a division (didn't delve into this on interview day).

7) U Michigan
Pros - UM may be THE place for EMCCM and the prospect of rotating through EC3 is enticing, plenty of EMCCM faculty and professional development tracks would be great prep for fellowship, in house ABA and ABIM pathway fellowships, huge amount of research opportunities, excellent off-service rotations, diverse experience with Flint/UM/Joe's, apparently great access to food at Joe's even during off site months, 4 weeks vacation sounds nice

Cons - Ann Arbor is not an ideal locale socially or topographically, I didn't quite fit with the residents and faculty as much as I wanted to, EM does not own airway at all times at all sites, I'm slightly worried that UM may be a bit too academic (but lots of time at SJMH could compensate for this).

8) MGH/BWH (HAEMR)
Pros - undeniable academic power, strong off service rotations, potentially learning from some of the most accomplished academic clinicians around, residents were surprisingly pretty chill, Boston was a bustling & interesting city, many opportunities for "something else", Brigham has a strong CCM fellowship

Cons - focus on extra stuff seems to be the main focus rather than training (as the PD put it) "badass docs", Boston (COL), exposure to community is limited, peds is done in blocks, the feel of MGH was very strange for me - the hospital is like a massive, impersonal machine, with a bunch of solo services, the fourth year allows for more time to take advantage of the "something else" activities but doesn't add much clinically .

9) University of Washington
Pros - Great diversity of clinical experience with maybe the best balance of county/academic/community of any program I went to, great CCM fellowship that is friendly to EM-trained folks, EMCCM faculty on staff, I did not expect to love Seattle as much as I did but am stoked on the city, love Harborview and their mission as an institution, strong critical care curriculum, faculty are from all over the country in terms of residency training, PD is one of the friendliest around.

Cons - newer program with a less established presence in the hospital, remains a division as of 2016 with several quirks (surgery rotates as primary docs through the trauma side of the department, EM does not own trauma, anesthesia does trauma airways), didn't vibe with a lot of the faculty/residents, low social capital in the hospital, several rotations where residents are reportedly scutted out hard (especially ortho).

10) Pittsburgh
Pros - strong & reputable critical care experience with their own CCM department, varied clinical experience with Presby & Mercy, Pittsburgh is much cooler than I anticipated, have some good friends in the area, RLT is responsive to resident feedback, new revamped curriculum sounds promising, COL in Pitt is solid.

Cons - didn't fit with the residents I met; at the interview dinner a couple residents spoke poorly of other EM programs and that really turned me off, I didn't vibe with the RLT and my interview with the PD was my least favorite of the whole season, only one month of elective time in a 3 year program makes it near impossible to get into CCM via the ABIM/ABEM pathway (unless it's Pitt's program, as a PGY3 was reportedly granted a spot in the E17 fellowship class), the RLT was unable espouse a vision for the future of the program, Pitt's presence in the western US is not as strong as other programs on my list.

11) Vanderbilt
Pros - really liked the residents I met at the dinner, undeniably solid educational environment, Nashville is a happening place with a lot of young people & solid night life, serious clout from Slovis in job search, reportedly solid peds experience, lots of critical care time for a 3 year, incoming PD was very welcoming and seemed to be supportive of creating a CCM fellowship track.

Cons - didn’t vibe with Slovis or Wrenn, program is overly focused on didactics for my taste - every answer on interview day went back to "teaching" and I'm more of a learn by doing kind of guy, no EMCCM faculty (although they are reportedly recruiting from UM?), likely transition in next couple years with Slovis retiring, don't own trauma in the ED, Vandy grads don't have the geographical spread that other shops have.

12) Utah
Pros - Salt Lake City, invested PD, Salt Lake City, ortho rotation on the mountain, Salt Lake City, overall residents were pretty chill.

Cons - honestly would have cancelled this one if I could've since two weeks into interview season I knew that I wouldn't want to be here, alas it was too late to cancel politely... I didn’t really fit with the residents, relatively new program, limited critical care exposure and no senior MICU time, only two months of elective, residents are oriented towards the place rather than the program (which is totally understandable, just not what I'm looking for culturally), only place I didn't interview with the PD, limited diversity of SLC, EM is a division, don't own trauma at the U, lack of a unified vision going forward from the program leadership, limited track record of fellowship placement compared to other shops I liked.

Other:
Invited to interview - Christiana, Cook County, Emory, Hennepin, Highland, Maine Med, New Mexico, Northwestern, OHSU, U Conneticut

Waitlisted - LAC/USC, UCSF-SFGH

Rejected - Maryland [really bummed about this one], Carolinas, UCLA-Harbor

Removed upon request of anonymous poster.

Last edited:
Pros - Great diversity of clinical experience with maybe the best balance of county/academic/community of any program I went to, great CCM fellowship that is friendly to EM-trained folks, EMCCM faculty on staff, I did not expect to love Seattle as much as I did but am stoked on the city, love Harborview and their mission as an institution, strong critical care curriculum, faculty are from all over the country in terms of residency training, PD is one of the friendliest around.

Cons - newer program with a less established presence in the hospital, remains a division as of 2016 with several quirks (surgery rotates as primary docs through the trauma side of the department, EM does not own trauma, anesthesia does trauma airways), didn't vibe with a lot of the faculty/residents, low social capital in the hospital, several rotations where residents are reportedly scutted out hard (especially ortho).

If Washington is still letting non EM trained docs run an entire side of the emergency department I'd run as far away from here as possible.

Honestly they should have their accreditation revoked.

Members don't see this ad :)
If Washington is still letting non EM trained docs run an entire side of the emergency department I'd run as far away from here as possible.

UW student here. Surgery residents rotate through the trauma side at Harborview, but it is always staffed by EM attendings.

Grey's Anatomy makes sense now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 250, Step 2: 272
Medical school region: West Coast
Anything else that made you more competitive: Step scores, clinical grades (one HP 3rd year, the rest H's), strong SLOE from a respected program

1. Perceived fit with residents & faculty
2. Job prospects - breadth & depth of alumni network
3. Breadth of clinical experience - academic, county, community
4. Location
5. Critical care prospects - EM/CCM faculty, fellowship placement of recent grads

Of note: 1 = 2, > 3 >> 4 or 5. We make so many arbitrary distinctions in this process, based on such small snapshots we experience from each program, going into it with concrete criteria for judging programs can be very helpful. I want an academic experience where I can carve out a niche, with the possibility of doing whatever (fellowship, academic or good community gig), wherever, after I graduate.

1) Denver Health
Pros - felt very at home at the resident dinner and enjoyed the faculty I met, the breadth of clinical experiences is excellent with DH covering the county and UC covering the academic side, I really vibe with the "learn by experience/trial by fire" attitude, strong history and thus a huge alumni network (especially in the west), the program has an attitude of constant improvement, strong commitment to graduated responsibility, Denver has all the outdoor opportunities I'm into on the weekends, several EMCCM faculty on staff, although some might count the medicine floor month as a big downer, it's very useful to have an IM month already in place without taking out any elective time (since it's part of the ABIM CCM fellowship prereqs), recently has placed a few residents in fellowship programs I'm very interested in, one of the few places where I already have friends in the area

Cons - not as much elective time as some of the other 4 years

2) Cincinnati
Pros - fit very well with the faculty and residents, surprisingly diverse clinical settings (UC serves as a county type population, with an academic flair), department chair is an integral piece of the department and not a distant admin figure, unparalleled financial resources, room to carve out a CCM track with interest from new PD, several EMCCM faculty, PD transition will allow Stettler more time to work clinically (residents I spoke to were stoked about this prospect), ownership of the SRU in third year, graduated responsibility, Air Care shifts allow for excellent autonomy in critical care situations early in your training, oldest program in the country = huge alumni network replete with PD's/chairs/faculty in every geographic region, more elective time (6.5 mo) than any other program, program-wide commitment to continual improvement, COL in Cincinnati is a big improvement from my current spot and the recreational opportunities are not as bad as I initially thought

Cons - even being optimistic, Cinci as a city is not great, EM is the big dawg in the hospital, the resident population is not as diverse as some of the other programs I visited

3) Stanford
Pros - fit really well with the faculty and residents, probably the most welcoming interview experience I had, great academic support for research, critical care track through pathway programs, strong EMCCM faculty on staff, good diversity of clinical experience with SC Valley giving a high volume experience, would be able to live near friends, the bay is dope (rich of social opportunities), strong off service rotations, true commitment to resident wellness rather than bull**** lip service of some other programs, shiny new ED coming soon, for what that's worth.

Cons - the bay is expensive AF (COL, traffic), sites are far apart, newer program, although this could be overcome by the power of the name for some

4) Brown
Pros: total dark horse for me, felt very at home at the interview dinner, excellent diversity of faculty (in both background and medical interests), surprisingly large catchment with the volume per resident to match, strong diversity of sites without long commutes, graduated responsibility, critical care alley run by PGY2/3, awesome PD who is committed to her residents beyond the hospital, strong critical care experience, new EMCCM faculty, many residents involved in leadership of national organizations with lots of support from admin, improved US program with frequent reviews on Qpath, a lot of interesting resources (ED specific MRI, cath lab in ED, etc.), Newport ED rotation sounds dope, good amount of NIH money

Cons: Providence is not my jam

5) Indiana
Pros - awesome amount of critical care time for a 3 year, peds experience, diversity of clinical experiences, strong history and thus a huge alumni network, solid CCM faculty, academic track with CCM focus, chill residents overall, impressed with the size and diversity of faculty, very relatable PD, great new county hospital (gotta admit, I loved the roof top garden), all sites are high volume, large program for a 3 year (60 residents), strong emphasis on residents' ownership of the program

Cons - didn't quite fit, less time for ABIM prereqs if that's the way I wanted to go, Indy is less than ideal as a location for my interests

6) Wash U
Pros - strong critical care curriculum, great research opportunities (especially in critical care), several EMCCM faculty in the program and have fellowships in ABA/ABEM and ABIM/ABEM tracks, good patient mix of the affluent & inner city, supportive ancillary staff per the residents, ambitious program from the top down, cheap COL in STL, accessible hospital in a much nicer neighborhood than I expected, I appreciated the focus on training residents to teach, PD was very relatable, interested in innovation and a total badass; seemed genuinely interested in recruiting like-minded individuals to the program, strength of off-service rotations was a theme of the interview day.

Cons - less established program and thus smaller alumni network than others on my list, slightly worried about the status of EM at the institution (a division as of 2016), and getting pushed aside on off-service months, some suggestion at the interview that the residents are work averse, kind of luke-warm on faculty I met, limited community exposure, EM is a division (didn't delve into this on interview day).

7) U Michigan
Pros - UM may be THE place for EMCCM and the prospect of rotating through EC3 is enticing, plenty of EMCCM faculty and professional development tracks would be great prep for fellowship, in house ABA and ABIM pathway fellowships, huge amount of research opportunities, excellent off-service rotations, diverse experience with Flint/UM/Joe's, apparently great access to food at Joe's even during off site months, 4 weeks vacation sounds nice

Cons - Ann Arbor is not an ideal locale socially or topographically, I didn't quite fit with the residents and faculty as much as I wanted to, EM does not own airway at all times at all sites, I'm slightly worried that UM may be a bit too academic (but lots of time at SJMH could compensate for this).

8) MGH/BWH (HAEMR)
Pros - undeniable academic power, strong off service rotations, potentially learning from some of the most accomplished academic clinicians around, residents were surprisingly pretty chill, Boston was a bustling & interesting city, many opportunities for "something else", Brigham has a strong CCM fellowship

Cons - focus on extra stuff seems to be the main focus rather than training (as the PD put it) "badass docs", Boston (COL), exposure to community is limited, peds is done in blocks, the feel of MGH was very strange for me - the hospital is like a massive, impersonal machine, with a bunch of solo services, the fourth year allows for more time to take advantage of the "something else" activities but doesn't add much clinically .

10) Pittsburgh
Pros - strong & reputable critical care experience with their own CCM department, varied clinical experience with Presby & Mercy, Pittsburgh is much cooler than I anticipated, have some good friends in the area, RLT is responsive to resident feedback, new revamped curriculum sounds promising, COL in Pitt is solid.

Cons - didn't fit with the residents I met; at the interview dinner a couple residents spoke poorly of other EM programs and that really turned me off, I didn't vibe with the RLT and my interview with the PD was my least favorite of the whole season, only one month of elective time in a 3 year program makes it near impossible to get into CCM via the ABIM/ABEM pathway (unless it's Pitt's program, as a PGY3 was reportedly granted a spot in the E17 fellowship class), the RLT was unable espouse a vision for the future of the program, Pitt's presence in the western US is not as strong as other programs on my list.

11) Vanderbilt
Pros - really liked the residents I met at the dinner, undeniably solid educational environment, Nashville is a happening place with a lot of young people & solid night life, serious clout from Slovis in job search, reportedly solid peds experience, lots of critical care time for a 3 year, incoming PD was very welcoming and seemed to be supportive of creating a CCM fellowship track.

Cons - didn’t vibe with Slovis or Wrenn, program is overly focused on didactics for my taste - every answer on interview day went back to "teaching" and I'm more of a learn by doing kind of guy, no EMCCM faculty (although they are reportedly recruiting from UM?), likely transition in next couple years with Slovis retiring, don't own trauma in the ED, Vandy grads don't have the geographical spread that other shops have.

12) Utah
Pros - Salt Lake City, invested PD, Salt Lake City, ortho rotation on the mountain, Salt Lake City, overall residents were pretty chill.

Cons - honestly would have cancelled this one if I could've since two weeks into interview season I knew that I wouldn't want to be here, alas it was too late to cancel politely... I didn’t really fit with the residents, relatively new program, limited critical care exposure and no senior MICU time, only two months of elective, residents are oriented towards the place rather than the program (which is totally understandable, just not what I'm looking for culturally), only place I didn't interview with the PD, limited diversity of SLC, EM is a division, don't own trauma at the U, lack of a unified vision going forward from the program leadership, limited track record of fellowship placement compared to other shops I liked.

Other:
Invited to interview - Christiana, Cook County, Emory, Hennepin, Highland, Maine Med, New Mexico, Northwestern, OHSU, U Conneticut

Waitlisted - LAC/USC, UCSF-SFGH

Rejected - Maryland [really bummed about this one], Carolinas, UCLA-Harbor

Why do people think wash u isn't well established? Also, as a resident does it actually make a difference if you are a division vs. department? Not theoretical issues, actual issues

Why do people think wash u isn't well established? Also, as a resident does it actually make a difference if you are a division vs. department? Not theoretical issues, actual issues
Part of the reason why people think a program isn't well established is because of the SDN bias where we don't utter any program's name in the same breath as "Cincy, Carolinas, Indy and Denver" which we all know are the only good programs in EM worth applying to :laugh:

I'm a PGY-1 now at another midwest program, but I thought WashU was amazing when I rotated/interviewed there last year. They had one of the best PDs on the trail (not sure if he is still there), great faculty who loved to teach, unbelievably high acuity ED, sickest patients I had ever seen, crazy trauma, ED residents who ran the show, were total badasses and got awesome training. I would have ranked it much higher if it wasn't for SO preference who had much better job opportunities in other cities. The price you pay for love!

Last edited:
Anyone else waiting for a normal rank list post cause they an AVERAGE candidate tho??

Reactions: 11 users
4) Lastly, Step 1 IS weighted. It's actually one of the most important factors of where you rank as an applicant. According to the PD survey, Step 1 score was the 2nd most important factor for selecting applicants to interview. It is also the 2nd most objective factor for ranking, after interview scores (interaction w/ faculty, staff, residents, etc) and your SLOE.

Actually, Step 1 is the 5th most important factor for the rank list

y3mQpNYPfc3_drl39QRIw-hTDjVAeHZbxr8slqUfl0xjeiX90Ay9jc1H_bJWVcFJM6f0WLbfXYssFVRVA8EHyOPPqHSDrnvzyTGX2esxkJ1yGs7KMMugL3flJKlqYEA3pms4K8UTjyUAOTIhK2Q-2M18324yhajEDOj4QfGZ_-uQAQ

y3mQpNYPfc3_drl39QRIw-hTDjVAeHZbxr8slqUfl0xjeiX90Ay9jc1H_bJWVcFJM6f0WLbfXYssFVRVA8EHyOPPqHSDrnvzyTGX2esxkJ1yGs7KMMugL3flJKlqYEA3pms4K8UTjyUAOTIhK2Q-2M18324yhajEDOj4QfGZ_-uQAQ

Interestingly enough, it's only 5th highest in terms of percent of programs that cite it as a factor, but its average rating of 3.9 means that when it is cited, it is cited as a top factor.

So really it's more that for programs that consider it at all, it's considered very highly. And then there are the 21% of programs that don't consider it at all.

My quote was "Step 1 score is the 2nd most objective factor for ranking, after interview scores (interaction w/ faculty, staff, residents, etc) and your SLOE. The 4 factors above Step 1 in the picture can be summed up as your interview score.

The point of the comment was that your Step 1 score is important no matter how you slice it. It affects your chances to interview and it also affects your rank.

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 246, Step 2: 252
AOA
Medical school region: East Coast

Fit (chill people, community connectedness), clinical strength, big city preferred. I interviewed at 18 programs because of couples matching, but I'm posting a rank list as if I'm not couples matching, in order to be more helpful to others.

1) Cook County: loved the people, very diverse faculty and residents, got a good sense of their commitment to their community. 8 hour shifts. Chicago is a great city. Cons: only $49K pay, low pediatric volume (but not a problem for jobs at big hospitals which are divided between peds & adults).

2) Bellevue: pros are some of the same as Cook. I swooned when I met Dr. Goldfrank, he's so cool. Better peds experience than Cook though, way less trauma which can be pro or con, more 12 hour shifts. Higher pay but also REALLY expensive COL. Tiny $2500+ apartments.

3) Jacobi/Montefiore: good clinical reputation, well-rounded experience, all 12 hour shifts. Reasonable COL if I live locally.

4) U Chicago: only 3 years, well-rounded, finally got pressured by the local community into opening a level 1 trauma center. Cons: needs to drive to north side through Chicago traffic, multiple interviewers asked weird/cliche questions, not sure if will get along with the people as well as at #1-3

5) Georgetown: only 3 years, well-rounded, PD seems invested. I like DC. Good interview food and freebies. Cons: less reputation, needs driving to Maryland and northern VA with DC traffic.

6) Duke: 3 years, well-rounded. I only met white people on my interview day.

7) VCU: only 3 years, new ED, cool gadgets, PD & the rest of faculty seem energetic about making the program great. Richmond seems like a fun smaller city. Cons: tons of white physicians even though Richmond is not a white majority city, less reputation.

8) Northwell/Long Island Jewish: 3 years, pay is $70K, well-rounded. More suburban feel even though it's close to NYC.

9) Maimonides: seems like a comfortable place to get good well-rounded training. Don't need to drive around. Nice people. Thanks for the free trauma shear on interview day. Less reputation though.

10) Loma Linda: good training, comfortable living, really nice people, but is in the middle of the dessert 2+ hours from LA.

11) Kings County: strong county training, but didn't click with the people, and I don't think I'll be able to speak Haitian Creole.

12) Johns Hopkins: on paper it has all the elements for me to rank it high, but didn't click on interview day. The announcement for how to submit thank you letters was a turn off, when most other programs say no follow up is needed. PD said this was a program for adult learners, but there seems to be quite a bit of resident management. I also just don't want to wear a white coat in the ED and be overshadowed by other residency programs in the Hopkins system.

13) Eastern Virginia: well-rounded, nice technology, nice people, but less reputation, very little diversity in the program. Best free pen on the interview trail (it's a stylus, flash light and laser pointer). Nicest apartments walking distance from the ocean on a residents' salary. Seems like if I go here I won't be going back to a big city any time soon.

14) UVA: didn't click with the people, small volume, small town, faculty seem inbred (mostly UVA-educated and trained), a lot of white residents/faculty. Seems like if I go here I won't be going back to a big city any time soon.

Rest of list: No particular order: Newark, Jefferson, Drexel, West Virginia

Other: Couldn't make it to interview at these places: Mayo in Minnesota, Brookdale, Brooklyn, Presbyterian Queens.

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 246, Step 2: 252
AOA

Fit (chill people, community connectedness), clinical strength, big city preferred. I interviewed at 18 programs because of couples matching, but I'm posting a rank list as if I'm not couples matching, in order to be more helpful to others.

1) Cook County: loved the people, very diverse faculty and residents, got a good sense of their commitment to their community. 8 hour shifts. Chicago is a great city. Cons: only $49K pay, low pediatric volume (but not a problem for jobs at big hospitals which are divided between peds & adults).

2) Bellevue: pros are some of the same as Cook. I swooned when I met Dr. Goldfrank, he's so cool. Better peds experience than Cook though, way less trauma which can be pro or con, more 12 hour shifts. Higher pay but also REALLY expensive COL. Tiny $2500+ apartments.

3) Jacobi/Montefiore: good clinical reputation, well-rounded experience, all 12 hour shifts. Reasonable COL if I live locally.

4) U Chicago: only 3 years, well-rounded, finally got pressured by the local community into opening a level 1 trauma center. Cons: needs to drive to north side through Chicago traffic, multiple interviewers asked weird/cliche questions, not sure if will get along with the people as well as at #1-3

5) Georgetown: only 3 years, well-rounded, PD seems invested. I like DC. Good interview food and freebies. Cons: less reputation, needs driving to Maryland and northern VA with DC traffic.

6) Duke: 3 years, well-rounded. I only met white people on my interview day.

7) VCU: only 3 years, new ED, cool gadgets, PD & the rest of faculty seem energetic about making the program great. Richmond seems like a fun smaller city. Cons: tons of white physicians even though Richmond is not a white majority city, less reputation.

8) Northwell/Long Island Jewish: 3 years, pay is $70K, well-rounded. More suburban feel even though it's close to NYC.

9) Maimonides: seems like a comfortable place to get good well-rounded training. Don't need to drive around. Nice people. Thanks for the free trauma shear on interview day. Less reputation though.

10) Loma Linda: good training, comfortable living, really nice people, but is in the middle of the dessert 2+ hours from LA.

11) Kings County: strong county training, but didn't click with the people, and I don't think I'll be able to speak Haitian Creole.

12) Johns Hopkins: on paper it has all the elements for me to rank it high, but didn't click on interview day. The announcement for how to submit thank you letters was a turn off, when most other programs say no follow up is needed. PD said this was a program for adult learners, but there seems to be quite a bit of resident management. I also just don't want to wear a white coat in the ED and be overshadowed by other residency programs in the Hopkins system.

13) Eastern Virginia: well-rounded, nice technology, nice people, but less reputation, very little diversity in the program. Best free pen on the interview trail (it's a stylus, flash light and laser pointer). Nicest apartments walking distance from the ocean on a residents' salary. Seems like if I go here I won't be going back to a big city any time soon.

14) UVA: didn't click with the people, small volume, small town, faculty seem inbred (mostly UVA-educated and trained), a lot of white residents/faculty. Seems like if I go here I won't be going back to a big city any time soon.

Rest of list: No particular order: Newark, Jefferson, Drexel, West Virginia

Other: Couldn't make it to interview at these places: Mayo in Minnesota, Brookdale, Brooklyn, Presbyterian Queens.

So i definitely would not have said it how he/she did... it is actually a major red flag when all I see is "white people" on the interview day. I'm not saying it is right or wrong but I want to train at a place that is diverse (whether it is M/F, Caucasian/not, east/west, different backgrounds) and that might me summed up ultimately to white/black whether we like it or not. Again I'm not defending it but the point of this thread is to show future applicants why we did/didn't like some place so if that's their OPINION I don't see why it's a big deal.

Having your own department means that your field is well represented and well regarded within the hospital and can advocate for its own interests. Having interviewed at and knowing friends who come from programs that dont care too much for their ED's, I can tell you that it actually does make a significant difference in your educational experience and QOL at work.

Reactions: 1 users
@doggydog note: This poster is asking for comments/thoughts on her/his ROL

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 225, Step 2: 230
EM rotations: P/HP/H
Medical school region: Midwest
community service, interviewers commented on good SLOEs

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: location, urban>rural, 3>4, don't have wife/family, all comments welcome let me know what you think!

1) UIC: great mix of people, strong program, I like the variety of sites and benefits of university affiliation

2) Resurrection Chicago: great QOL for residents (benefits, meals, etc), great PD, I love the off-service (1mo of ID in PGY2 year, trauma at Mt. Sinai)

3) Wisconsin: PD and residents warm and happy, Mad town is fun, great university in general, nice EDs, top3 are like 1a 1b 1c for me

4) Iowa: beautiful ED (right next to football field), Iowa City not as mundane as my preconceived notions, impressive residents

5) UMKC Truman: sleeper pick on my list - Awesome PD, good mix of urban population which I appreciate

6) UC Riverside: new program but established PD, good curriculum with no fluff rotations, ~1hr from LA, con - still don't know a ton about the area, big jump after my 1-5

7) UICOMP (Peoria): nice PD who had his MPH, good facilities, con - Peoria

8) Wayne State Sinai Grace: great urban opportunities, residents seem happy but a bit overworked

9) UCSF Fresno: good reputation but did not interview with PD (changing roles), residents seemed a bit pompous, 4 yr

10) Southern Illinois: PD very down to earth, great sim, 6 residents per class is a pro for me

11) Western Michigan: Decent program with good EMS, Kalamazoo seems alright, not much diversity in residents, APD is an asset

12) Sparrow MSU: I enjoyed the PD, but E. Lansing seemed much more rural than I imagined, was not impressed by residents

Rest of list: Will probably not rank Brooklyn hospital, would rather get an MPH and re-apply

@doggydog note: This poster is asking for comments/thoughts on her/his ROL

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 225, Step 2: 230
EM rotations: P/HP/H
community service, interviewers commented on good SLOEs

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: location, urban>rural, 3>4, don't have wife/family, all comments welcome let me know what you think!

1) UIC: great mix of people, strong program, I like the variety of sites and benefits of university affiliation

2) Resurrection Chicago: great QOL for residents (benefits, meals, etc), great PD, I love the off-service (1mo of ID in PGY2 year, trauma at Mt. Sinai)

3) Wisconsin: PD and residents warm and happy, Mad town is fun, great university in general, nice EDs, top3 are like 1a 1b 1c for me

4) Iowa: beautiful ED (right next to football field), Iowa City not as mundane as my preconceived notions, impressive residents

5) UMKC Truman: sleeper pick on my list - Awesome PD, good mix of urban population which I appreciate

6) UC Riverside: new program but established PD, good curriculum with no fluff rotations, ~1hr from LA, con - still don't know a ton about the area, big jump after my 1-5

7) UICOMP (Peoria): nice PD who had his MPH, good facilities, con - Peoria

8) Wayne State Sinai Grace: great urban opportunities, residents seem happy but a bit overworked

9) UCSF Fresno: good reputation but did not interview with PD (changing roles), residents seemed a bit pompous, 4 yr

10) Southern Illinois: PD very down to earth, great sim, 6 residents per class is a pro for me

11) Western Michigan: Decent program with good EMS, Kalamazoo seems alright, not much diversity in residents, APD is an asset

12) Sparrow MSU: I enjoyed the PD, but E. Lansing seemed much more rural than I imagined, was not impressed by residents

Rest of list: Will probably not rank Brooklyn hospital, would rather get an MPH and re-apply
personal opinion - I think res is a bit high. Wisconsin and Iowa are both very good programs. Res is in Chicago (kind of) and that's the only positive, IMO.

personal opinion - I think res is a bit high. Wisconsin and Iowa are both very good programs. Res is in Chicago (kind of) and that's the only positive, IMO.

Personal opinion. Peoria had some of the greatest benefits out of any program in the country including food for your family for free??. That by itself raised the standard. Found it to be a good sleeper pick. As opposed to some of the other programs like umkc Truman and Wayne offering no meal plan

Last edited:

I think your being overly hard on res. You can easily live in ravenswood/Lincoln square/wrigleyville and have an easy commute to both their main sites. IMO as far as Chicago locations go it's second only to Northwestern. If being urban is important to you, it could easily trump a program in a smaller college town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really depends on how much you value living in a big city.

Madison and Iowa City are not rural by any means but they're also not big cities like Chicago or Kansas City. Both are basically medium sized college towns with Madison being a little larger than Iowa City. If you move there expecting to have big city dining/nightlife/social opportunities you'll probably end up disappointed. There's a reason why most of the residents at both programs are already in long term relationships or married with kids.

Actual issues? That is probably dependent on the leadership and the department.

However, EM is its own specialty and has not been a conjoint board for nearly 30 years. ANY ED (especially one with a residency) that is not its own academic or institutional department is weak and the leadership lacks either pride, grit, or initiative to break away on their own. My department, prior to the EM residency starting nearly 20 years ago, was completely run by medicine and originally was not staffed by residency-trained EM docs (though there were a few that were boarded in EM). When my chair took over, he quickly moved to establish it as its own academic department and was out from under medicine in a couple years. He did this in addition to a large number of other policy changes (anesthesia out of the trauma bay, admitting privileges, procedural sedation, etc.). Our department is well represented in the medical school and at administrative levels in the hospital and health system. My residency, though not considered a "top" program on SDN, is one of the strongest in the hospital. We are at the top insofar as board scores (we are right along side ophtho, plastics, ortho, etc.) and resident satisfaction (the best in the hospital). I'd put our training and leadership up against any other program in the country, including the "big name" places by SDN standards. Can you get great training and experience at a place where EM is a division? Absolutely. But with all else being equal, I'm going with the place that is standing on its own two feet.

Reactions: 2 users
Keep it professional in here people.
While I can see why people would be offended by the "only met white people", the statement didn't have any followup statements or anything inflammatory. I say this as a white man. Further posts appear intending to inflame. They will be removed if necessary.

Reactions: 5 users

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 246, Step 2: 256
EM rotations: HP/P

Location, reputation

1) Vanderbilt
2) Carolinas
3) Wake Forest
4) UT Austin
5) Emory
6) UPMC
7) Indiana
8) Cincinnati
9) Advocate Christ
10) UT Murfreesboro
11) Oregon Health and Science
12) Baylor
13) Northwestern

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 230, Step 2: 264
AOA
Anything else that made you more competitive: Former healthcare career, honors in all clinicals but one, community service and leadership experience

Location (outdoors access, singles scene), social mission (public health, underserved, etc), wellness/humaneness, clinical training

1) Maricopa County:
(+) amazing program director, great clinical training, electives all 3 years seemed like good opportunity to build a niche, chill residents with no obvious hierarchy, low COL

(-) bit iffy on Phoenix, not a lot of pre-existing electives in public health arena

2) University of Arizona, South Campus:
(+) residents seemed really happy, PD well-liked and extremely nice and wellness-oriented, longitudinal medical spanish, focus on underserved populations, low COL

(-) Smaller city, couple odd interviews with faculty, not much elective time

3) Stanford:
(+) location (outdoors + friends in area), cool curriculum program structure with social med track as well as elective time, lots of resources, experience in academic, county and community

(-) Too academic-heavy, 12 hr shifts and a lot of them, COL

4) Denver:
(+) location (cool city + outdoors + friends in area), well-respected program with grads getting into a lot of competitive markets, 8-hr shifts, sounded like useful, strong off-service rotations, faculty member who does public health

(-) 6/8 shifts with fast night/day turnaround all 4 years, didn't sell 4th year well

5) University of Chicago:
(+) Really good vibe from residents, probably my favorite PD on the trail, leadership and diversity-focused with close community ties, humane schedule, location (cool city with relatively low COL)

(-) pretty average curriculum, location (no outdoors, don't want to be in midwest)

6) UCLA-Olive View:
(+) Amazing chill residents, approachable really nice faculty, 50-50 county-academic split, pretty liveable area of LA

(-) lots of driving, 12 hr shifts, lots of flux (unclear exactly what curriculum was or leadership)

7) UCSF-Fresno:
(+) great faculty and residents (did my away here), ancillary staff is incredibly nice and happy, cool park medic program, great pathology, cheap COL

(-) pretty non-existent dating scene, didn't sell 4th year well

8) University of New Mexico:
(+) really cool chill residents, mountain medicine program, good peds exposure, strong social mission, cheap COL

(-) pretty non-existent dating scene, big boarding problems

9) Kaiser San Diego:
(+) young cool faculty, 1:1 teaching with attendings, interesting curriculum

(-) residents seemed too bro-y, not the patient population I want to work with primarily

10) UC Irvine:
(+) location (good friend here + outdoors), ultrasound training top-notch

(-) too business-oriented for me, not much community-health work

11) Mayo Clinic:
(+) very patient-oriented culture, beautiful facilities and resources, surprisingly good patient volume and pathology, COL

(-) seemed like a hard location as a single person, not the patient population I want to work with primarily

12) Advocate Christ:
(+) location, good clinical training

(-) too "it's so busy we never eat," nothing really set it apart

13) Loma Linda:
(+) location (mountains!), good clinical training, amazing peds

(-) not much community-health work, 3/4 shift schedules were pretty awful (3p-11, 5p-1, 9p-8)

14) Christiana (joint program):
(+) PD is high energy and awesome, residents were cool, good clinical training, low COL

(-) location, decided joint program not necessary for my goals

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 250s, Step 2: 250s
EM rotations: H/HP
AOA
Anything else that made you more competitive: good third year grades (1 P, all the rest H), leadership, volunteer.. nothing unique. No cool tattoos or anything.

Fit, resident wellbeing, 3 > 4

1) University of Wisconsin
Pros - Super impressive program. Did not expect such a great interview day. Fun interview dinner with lots of nice residents and good conversation. The PD and department chair are total bosses (in a good way). Young faculty from all over the country (lots of different methods of practicing EM). Huge on program improvement and feedback. Best flight med program I interviewed at. Good relationship among attendings and residents. I think this program will be a powerhouse in years to come, so the value of being educated here will only increase.

Cons - possibly location, if you prefer bigger cities. Otherwise Madison is gorgeous. I literally cannot think of a con for the program.

2) University of Arizona South Campus (Tucson)
Pros - Again, very surprised by this one. Probably the most unique program I interviewed at. Big fan of the family atmosphere, seem extremely supportive of each other. (I know other applicants might not like when residents/faculty bring kids to interview dinner, but I think it shows a lot about the community feel). PD was maybe the nicest person I met on the trail and had a very pleasant conversation. Spanish curriculum is huge plus. If you want to learn or improve on Spanish, this is the place to be. Good global health opportunities being so close to the border. Nice mix of Community/County feel at South Campus and Academic at main campus. PD really tries to customize experience to what each resident is looking for. Mountains and hiking.

Cons - Tucson is hotttt. I like having 4 seasons. Traffic is kind of weird, Tucson is so spread out and lacks highways (ie, takes forever to get places). Otherwise, this place has a lot of upside.

3) Georgetown
Pros - This program really reminded me of Wisconsin. It is young, the PD is constantly looking to improve and get feedback, good vision for future. Strong peds experience. Strong community rotations. DC has some nice vibes (although you would need to live closer to Trump now..). Best freebies of any programs I interviewed at. If you are interested in health policy or politics, definitely would recommend checking this place out.

Cons - high COL in DC. Residents I talked with seemed exhausted. The ED seemed kind of hectic when we toured.. I like organization.

4) Hennepin County
Pros - Obviously an EM powerhouse. Tons of volume and acuity. Best ultrasound program by far (again, that I interviewed at). Sweet hyperbarics chambers. Residents seemed extremely competent. Beautiful hospital and good location in downtown Minneapolis. You can see the Vikings new stadium from the ICU. Free parking downtown.

Cons - Maybe not as much work/life balance. I expect to work hard during residency, but I still question whether a certain level of masochism is necessary or not (and after the past 3 months, I'm definitely tired of hearing "work hard, play hard").

5) University of Nebraska
Pros - Huge academic center that sees incredibly diverse pathology. Volume is high and increasing quickly. Some of the coolest residents I've met, really look out for one another. ED seemed very well-run. Young faculty. Great moonlighting opportunities. Omaha seems like a nice place to live if you don't want a huge city.

Cons - Huge academic center = lots of consulting. I'm not quite sure how to weigh being able to see crazy pathology at a big center vs having to consult out lots of patients. Lacks some "flashy" electives that other places have (international, wilderness). The program is kind of inbred, lots of their faculty trained at UNMC. Again not sure how to weigh this because it's also a good sign so many people want to stay. No free parking... come on, this isn't NYC!

6) UMKC
Pros - Kansas City is awesome. This is a county program disguised as an academic center. Patient population with lots of chronic, untreated disease and homelessness. High volumes. Low resources. BEST INTERVIEW DINNER EVER, Jack Stack bbq is delicious and you get to order whatever you want (hello ribs and good beer). PD is really cool. Great didactics. Residents are happy to be there. Many specifically chose this program over the other one in the city (KU medical center).

Cons - Also somewhat inbred. Would have liked a better ultrasound program. Some attendings seemed to not like working with interns (from what I heard..).

7) Mayo
Pros - Best interviewers on the trail. They seemed truly interested in you and wanted to help you find where you belong, whether that be Mayo or not. Good philosophy, always asking "what is best for the patient?". Strong academics and research opportunities. Only place I interviewed at that provided a hotel for the night which was a very nice touch.

Cons - you kind of have to drink the Mayo koolaid. Definitely a unique place. Rochester is small and cold.

8) Maricopa County
Pros - Well established program. Huge alumni network all over the country. You get 1 elective month each year, which is the only 3 year program with this opportunity that I know of. Cool opportunities for international, wilderness, rural rotations. They have some impressive current 3rd year residents - lots of unique interests with specific niches. Maybe the best work/life balance of any program I saw. The program pays for lots of resident bonding activities.

Cons - Didn't really vibe with the residents or faculty. PD says the word "gestalt" too much. Didn't really enjoy the interview day. Phoenix might as well be considered the surface of the sun for all intents and purposes.

Rest of the List in no particular order:
Presence Resurrection (fine program, Chicago traffic sucks)
KU (nice residents, good interview dinner and day, though preferred UMKC)
Mizzou (very new program, really liked the PD and think he will have an awesome program soon)
SLU (PD seemed very pessimistic to me. I don't want to end up there.)

Cons - Didn't really vibe with the residents or faculty. PD says the word "gestalt" too much. Didn't really enjoy the interview day. Phoenix might as well be considered the surface of the sun for all intents and purposes.

Lolol what a good observation. Complete turn off to the program.

Reactions: 2 users
Actual issues? That is probably dependent on the leadership and the department.

However, EM is its own specialty and has not been a conjoint board for nearly 30 years. ANY ED (especially one with a residency) that is not its own academic or institutional department is weak and the leadership lacks either pride, grit, or initiative to break away on their own. My department, prior to the EM residency starting nearly 20 years ago, was completely run by medicine and originally was not staffed by residency-trained EM docs (though there were a few that were boarded in EM). When my chair took over, he quickly moved to establish it as its own academic department and was out from under medicine in a couple years. He did this in addition to a large number of other policy changes (anesthesia out of the trauma bay, admitting privileges, procedural sedation, etc.). Our department is well represented in the medical school and at administrative levels in the hospital and health system. My residency, though not considered a "top" program on SDN, is one of the strongest in the hospital. We are at the top insofar as board scores (we are right along side ophtho, plastics, ortho, etc.) and resident satisfaction (the best in the hospital). I'd put our training and leadership up against any other program in the country, including the "big name" places by SDN standards. Can you get great training and experience at a place where EM is a division? Absolutely. But with all else being equal, I'm going with the place that is standing on its own two feet.

Thats a pretty bold, blanket statement.

I'm pretty sure Denver and Utah might disagree (top of my head both dept. Of surgery)