[2016-2017] Emergency Medicine Rank Order List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ugh, I still have so many questions! I thought I had my rank list nearly solidified based on feels and COL, but the more I think about things, the more confused I get. A couple of Qs:

(1) Can anyone recommend a good resource for guesstimating take-home income after taxes in each state? Some salaries are more attractive than others, but then some states have better/non-existent state income tax, so I find it hard to really know what my paycheck will actually look like at each program. I know, I know, it's not recommended to pick a program based on salary, but if there is a significant difference I want to know about it.

(2) How much are people taking into account vacation days when ranking? It seems like there is a pretty big spread between programs, and I'm finding it hard to ignore that some programs report 4 weeks of vacation time, while others report 10 days. Worth factoring in or nah?

(3) Does anyone know what the deal is with San Antonio's vacation policy? Interview pamphlet says 2 weeks, website says 10 days, but website also says there are 10 sick days. Is that in addition to the 10 vacation days? Really specific question but if anyone happens to know I may develop very real and deep feelings for you.

1) https://smartasset.com/taxes/income-taxes
This website is simple and accurate in terms of current tax rates. you just put in the income and it tells you an after tax take home amount! (its gonna make you feel :meh:)

2/3) Sick days can not be used for vacation, in general. Those are 'in case of emergency days' although you could probably use them for vacation it would probably reflect poorly on your character (which you wouldn't want to do for your first real job! =)) I would stick with vacation days as the only thing you can ask for to get time off in advance. I am not factoring this in to my decisions, as I dont think an extra week here or there will make or break how sucky residency will be. Especially EM where you get a day or two off every few days when you are on an ED month. Yes, sick days are in addition to vacation days. I can't answer in regards to the 10 vs 14 day discreptancy they have.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
1) https://smartasset.com/taxes/income-taxes
This website is simple and accurate in terms of current tax rates. you just put in the income and it tells you an after tax take home amount! (its gonna make you feel :meh:)

2/3) Sick days can not be used for vacation, in general. Those are 'in case of emergency days' although you could probably use them for vacation it would probably reflect poorly on your character (which you wouldn't want to do for your first real job! =)) I would stick with vacation days as the only thing you can ask for to get time off in advance. I am not factoring this in to my decisions, as I dont think an extra week here or there will make or break how sucky residency will be. Especially EM where you get a day or two off every few days when you are on an ED month. Yes, sick days are in addition to vacation days. I can't answer in regards to the 10 vs 14 day discreptancy they have.

Thank you, that website is baller! (And totally depressing -- but better to know now than once the first paycheck arrives, I guess?)

I agree that sick days =/= vacation, but it's good to know where sick days won't come out of your vacation time.

And thanks for the info on SA! The discrepancy is weird. I can understand why 10 days would equal 2 weeks in a job where you work M-F every week, but that's a false equivalency for EM.

I did an away rotation in September and the school has not yet sent out my evaluation form to the registrar that is req to put a grade on my transcript. They sent out an awesome SLOE in October (so no problems there). Do PD's see an updated transcript when making a rank list or is it what we had originally sent when we approved the application?

If they do not see the updated form, then I will wait until after match for this. If not, I guess I will contact them now so it shows on there. I don't think it should be a red flag since there is a clear SLOE associated with that month... but this is the season to freakouts...

PS: I was in contact with them back in Nov via email and also did it in person during Dec when I was at the site for an interview. I just do not want to come off as overbearing, but this is kinda getting a little ridic...

Members don't see this ad :)
...Do PD's see an updated transcript when making a rank list or is it what we had originally sent when we approved the application...

No one will care or see your transcript (updated or not) when it's time to do the rank list. Relax as much as you can.

Edit: regarding vacation - it may seem petty (and everyone is different) but I think that time off can't be underestimated. Time in the ED should be fun and rewarding on its own, but it is exhausting. Getting a single day off between shifts can be really frustrating when it's a Wednesday and your SO, friends, etc. have more "normal" schedules. Having protected time off is really valuable and should play a modest but real role in comparing programs. I love being in the ED and actually dislike taking time off on my ED months, but without vacation, it is the only way I can ensure I see the non-EM people in my life in some sort of predictable way.

Last edited:
What did you guys think of Maimonides vs Methodist?

Summary
Step1~250/Step 2~255
EM: HP/H/H
Not AOA
Applying from Northeast
Couples matching, so location=fit>prestige>patient population>prox to family/friends
lots of work with underserved populations

1. Temple
Honestly, just a great, great program, really enjoyed everything here. PD seemed like a nice, genuine down to earth guy, very relatable and easy to talk to. Really felt solid commitment to underserved. Residents were chill, laid back, and seemed real happy. Shift length-9's, lots of volume, crazy procedural experience, strong leadership. Love Philly and it is one my fav cities in the country

Cons: Maybe limited diversity in pt population

Clarification for you and others: 10s as an intern at TUH, 8s at TUH and Episcopal as a 2nd and 3rd year, 12s at Jeanes (14 per 28 day block). CHOP and SCHC are 8s (actually there is an occasional 6 and 9 at CHOP).

Clarification for you and others: 10s as an intern at TUH, 8s at TUH and Episcopal as a 2nd and 3rd year, 12s at Jeanes (14 per 28 day block). CHOP and SCHC are 8s (actually there is an occasional 6 and 9 at CHOP).

good to know, and thanks, getting some of the details mixed up at this point.

What criteria do you value more because everyone has different priorities? Albany is way better to live in than Springfield if location matters. I can't comment on specifics of the programs, but whenever people pit programs against each other, they need to have some criteria by which you are evaluating them.

Location is equal to me. I'm just trying to find something to put one against the other and my pro-con list is coming up dead equal right now...

Submitted anonymously, via Google Form.

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: >260, Step 2: >260
EM rotations: H/H/H
AOA
Medical school region: Looking to go to the Northeast
Anything else that made you more competitive: Well...the Step scores and grades I suppose...

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL:
Started out open to 3 or 4 years, ended up liking most of the 4 year options better. Looking at continuing in academics so extra time and resources for research/career development ended up being important. Honestly 1-5 have shuffled around alot since ending interview, would be happy at any of them

1) Brown
Pros: Awesome academic resources, huge catchment, apparently really sick population with great critical care experience. Program leadership was enthusiastic, worked well as a team. Was very impressed, didnt expect to like it as much as I thought I would

Cons: Not much to say here.

2) Yale:
Pros: Great mix of academic institution with county and community type patients in both New Haven and Bridgeport. PD was very impressive, seemed really attuned to what residents wanted and needed. Engaged and productive faculty. While being an academic powerhouse, resident and faculty were surprisingly down to earth

Cons: New Haven isnt that exciting? Not much to say

3) UPenn
Pros: Amazing critical care and peds experience, seems like the best Ive seen. Former PD and New PD both seem very dedicated to education and teaching. Residents were ambitious, driven, and down to earth. Trauma bay and CHOP were probably the most impressed ive been on a hospital tour.

Cons: Wards medicine seems like a downer, but learning from UPenn faculty would probably be beneficial

4) MGH/BWH
Pros: So really similar to rest of top 5, great academic resources. Faculty and ED chairs were very engaged. Residents were fun.

Cons: Boston expensive

5) NYU
Pros: Again, pretty darn similar to rest of top 5. Bellevue always strikes a cord with me, and faculty dedication to the care of the less recognized in Manhattan was inspiring.

Cons: Really think Id have a tough time adjusting to Manhattan, but man is it enticing

6) Northwestern
Pros: Program leadership's dedication to career development was very attractive. Best pitch for the 4 year over 3 year i've heard. Probably the most impressive group of residents I have met, all very motivated, driven, fun.

Cons: Love Chicago, but dont think its my city

7) Hennepin
Pros: The Epitome of County excellence. 3rd year residents were so excellent in the STAB room. Well funded for a county program, and doing a ton of cool research

Cons: Seemed like they KNEW they were great, which was a little off-putting. Residents, while excellent, seemed a little burned out

8) Vanderbilt
Pros: Great teaching, great academic resources especially for a 3 year program.

Cons: I didn't really think it would bother me, but this program was so, so white. Feels kinda weird in an area with a large non-white population. I dunno

9) Carolinas
Pros: Awesome clinical training, faculty and residents all seemed like a big family

Cons: Was somewhat concerned with how much nursing turnover they had in the ED. To me, indicates its a tough place to work.

10) Mount Sinai
Pros: County experience in Queens was definitely cool. Great academic resources.

Cons: I liked NYU better, and NYC would be tough enough for me

Rest of List:
BIDMC (Just didn't click with the people) SLR (Again, didn't feel like I fit in)

@doggydog note: This poster is asking for feedback, hopefully we can give some after they provided this detailed rank list.

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 220s, Step 2: 230s
EM rotations: P/P
Medical school region: Mid-Atlantic
Anything else that made you more competitive:
Non-traditional student with public service/trauma work experience before med school (I'm fairly certain this was the reason for at least half of my interview invites).

If any of the programs I'm ranking seem like reaches based on my terrible stats, I probably got the interview for one of the following reasons:
(1) Rotated there
(2) Home institution
(3) Knew someone who worked there

Cost of living, location (trying to get away from the East Coast), family friendly, job opportunities for SO who is a professional in another field, overall feeling from interview day, curriculum emphasis on ultrasound/peds/wilderness/other things I like, felt most comfortable with medium-sized programs

Would really appreciate any feedback -- please let me know if I'm making any big mistakes!

1) UTHSCSA
Pros - Nice newer facility, residents seemed really laid back on interview day, clicked with the PD, lots of Peds and US exposure, 10 residents/class is my ideal size for learning, San Antonio seems like a nice and affordable place to live, no state income tax, decent job opportunities for SO, some family nearby, warmer weather, Mexican food (really should have listed that first).

Cons - Salary is at the bottom of the scale, vacation days are meh compared to other programs, program is still relatively new (but it seems like reputation is on the rise)

2) Arizona (University Campus)
Pros - Excellent facility in a good part of town, love Tucson (affordable, Southwestern charm, a lot to offer to those who love being outdoors), 4 weeks of vacation, good interview feeling, Mexican food.

Cons - Class size (18 if I'm remembering correctly?) was a little big for my liking, temp is 90s well into the Fall (but it's a dry heat!), nasty poisonous creepy crawlies

3) UMKC
Pros - 12 residents/class seems pretty comfortable, KC seems like the perfect mix of suburbia and city life, good modern housing options, job opportunities for SO, some family nearby

Cons - Though there was nothing to hate about this program, there was nothing overwhelmingly exciting about it either. I'm mostly ranking it so highly because it's affordable and not on the East Coast.

4) Arizona (South Campus)
Pros - See University Campus above

Cons - Facility was kind of run-down, and no good housing nearby, only 6 residents/class which makes me anxious

5) Kaiser San Diego
Pros - Amazing sim lab, great US exposure, San Diego has the most amazing weather in the entire country, the beach, would be a foot in the door for an attending position in Cali, abundant job opportunities for SO

Cons - Not a Level 1, salary at the bottom of the scale, San Diego cost of living and housing market is almost a non-starter, traffic, only 6 residents/class

Really struggle with this one because I would like to rank it higher, but I honestly can't figure out how to make it work from a financial perspective.

6) Riverside
Pros - Decent weather, would be a foot in the door for an attending position in Cali, clicked with/had a lot in common with the faculty on interview day

Cons - Brand new program, which is risky, still pretty expensive even though in a less desirable part of Cali

7) UF Gainesville
Pros - Program really seemed focused on resident quality of life, Gainesville is affordable, no state income tax, two hours to Disney World and beaches

Cons - Alligators, humidity, bad job market for SO

8) Albany
Pros - Salary is much higher than almost everywhere else I interviewed, Albany is affordable, good job market for my SO, emphasis on wilderness medicine, faculty were outdoorsy and my kind of people

Cons - Albany was cold and dark. I really feel like having ROLs due in cold February is disadvantageous to programs up North. At this time of year, no one can really stomach the thought of more cold/snow.

9) York
Pros - Affordable, really clicked with the PD, interview day gave me some warm fuzzies, have some family nearby

Cons - In the middle of nowhere, would have to drive to Baltimore to fly anywhere, housing market is limited and kinda funky

10) Allegheny
Pros - Pittsburgh would be a cool place to live, and actually not super expensive

Cons - Had a rough interview day here, didn't feel like it was well organized. Hate Big Ben.

11) SUNY Upstate
Cons - Though Syracuse is very affordable, the salary is bottom of the scale, which is rough when you take into account the NYS tax scheme. Facility was old and dark.

12) UConn
Cons - Nothing to get excited about in Hartford. Facility was old and dark. Too many residents/class.

13) Drexel
Pros - 20 vacation days plus major holidays off, which is pretty generous

Cons - 12 hour shifts, probation history, Philly bums me out, and I also can't afford to live there. Facility was old and dark.

14) Georgetown
Pros - Sick and diverse patient population at WHC (but not so much at Georgetown).

Cons - DC is literally the worst place in the US to live. It's expensive AF and traffic/public transit is a nightmare.

Other:
I attended every interview I was invited to.

Never got off waitlists at UWV, Michigan, or Arkansas. I applied to a ridiculous amount of programs based on my lower-than-average stats (low Step scores, bad EM grades, only 1 departmental SLOE).

I probably would have received the same amount of interviews if I cut my application number in half, as I unsurprisingly received no love from the top tier. A girl/guy can dream though.

5) Kaiser San Diego
Pros - Amazing sim lab, great US exposure, San Diego has the most amazing weather in the entire country, the beach, would be a foot in the door for an attending position in Cali, abundant job opportunities for SO

Cons - Not a Level 1, salary at the bottom of the scale, San Diego cost of living and housing market is almost a non-starter, traffic, only 6 residents/class

Really struggle with this one because I would like to rank it higher, but I honestly can't figure out how to make it work from a financial perspective.

Specifically, I was hoping someone could speak to this. Anyone familiar with the program/area?

Specifically, I was hoping someone could speak to this. Anyone familiar with the program/area?
Many factors to consider such as their debt burden, SO financial situation and expected income, minimum QOL required I.E. crap apt with no washer/dryer vs. balcony + gym + pool. You can find cheap housing there, especially further inland but still close to the hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly its not that bad if you can find a place near the hospital in La Mesa or El Cajon. I just wouldn't expect to be living anywhere near the beach.

Can anyone give me some input on a current question about my ROL. I'm trying to decide between 2 fairly different programs which one will be in front.

U-Tenn Nashville/Murfreesboro and UNM.

I really liked UTenn when I was there, liked the vibe of the town, the faculty, etc. I think that peds acuity and trauma volume is an issue (they have away rotations trying to remedy this). I'm thinking of fellowship in EMS, Peds and I'm thinking because of that I might want to rank UNM higher. I liked UNM, just not as warm fuzzy about it. Any input guys?

Can anyone give me some input on a current question about my ROL. I'm trying to decide between 2 fairly different programs which one will be in front.

U-Tenn Nashville/Murfreesboro and UNM.

I really liked UTenn when I was there, liked the vibe of the town, the faculty, etc. I think that peds acuity and trauma volume is an issue (they have away rotations trying to remedy this). I'm thinking of fellowship in EMS, Peds and I'm thinking because of that I might want to rank UNM higher. I liked UNM, just not as warm fuzzy about it. Any input guys?

I rotated/interviewed at UNM. I honestly thought it was one of the best places I'd rotated/interviewed at anywhere because of location, faculty, and opportunities.

One thing I told myself then and med students now is to think about where you want to be in the future - where you might want to work, what your niche in medicine would be, etc and then try and find a program that would help you get to there. Based on what you've written, UNM definitely has those opportunities. I also think it's helpful to find places where you'll get the mentoring you need to achieve your goals from attendings doing the things you want to do and again, UNM might have what you want in that regard. It's hard to address UNM's shortcomings here since, by definition, the "fuzzys" are hard to define. Residency is hard and despite what I just wrote, I would say I'd rank your gestalt happiness above everything else and if you choose place A because over place B of this, I'd just be aware of whatever shortcomings place A might have (EMS, peds in your case) and work to mitigate that.

Good luck!

Removed upon request of anonymous poster.

Last edited:
@doggydog note: I'm going to try to jump out in front of this one: people can have different opinions than you, it's okay, no need to lambast them for it.

Applicant Summary:
EM rotations: H/H
leadership experiences in some impressive projects. told personal statement was particularly interesting.

1. reputation within + outside of EM (fully understand my own vanity is a legit criticism of my RoL)
2. strength of clinical training.
3. partner job market.
4. prefer 3 vs 4 year.
5. location (NE closer to family and prefer larger city, outdoor stuff like mountains, beaches, etc)

1) Brown
Wasn't on my radar before interview season. Of all the "name will impress my grandmother" programs, stood out as having excellent clinical training (singularly fulfills #1 and #2 on things that mattered to me). Training: 110k+ visits at main training site with excellent throughput (no psych boarding, fast track mostly taken care of by mid-levels, strong social work and safety net in RI), "county with resources" environment, EM is own department. Trauma is a consult service. QPath with US fellows giving feedback on scans. Graduated responsibility (but not so strict that you won't touch an airway until 3rd year like some other programs). Speaking of 3rd year, residents spend most of it running 8? CC rooms. Upper level ICU rotations. Dedicated ED radiology that routinely goes over imaging whenever you have time. 4th year pretending role but also enough elective time to develop niche or start fellowship/masters degree. Emphasis on resident as educator with teaching opportunities. Highest % of academicians in graduating classes that I encountered (60%).

Location: Downtown and East Side with beautiful architecture, preservation and renovation movements lead by RISD. No traffic or commute to different sites (Miriam close by and for Newport month, program gives you a beach house). Close to Boston without the traffic of COL. RI beaches are nice.

Cons: Providence wouldn't be the greatest for single residents. Fairly limited to two neighborhoods with decent QOL (the rest is sort of depressed-post-industrial). Winter in NE sucks. 4 year program. Not the EM-reputation of Pitt/Hennepin. Somewhat limited moonlighting (critical patient transfers for ~80/hour).

2) Yale
Training: also large primary hospital (~100k visits), again "county with resources" feel (using "county" to mean where the indigent patients go), again with a diverse patient population, similarly "the only game in town". Most impressive research, especially in med-ed. Very strong US, again with fellows reviewing QPath. J&J scholars program would be incredible if Global EM was my jam. Great sim, similar 4th year setup to develop niche. Ivory tower concerns should be mitigated knowing PD is a no-nonsense army guy.

Location: New Haven is a killer. That's how much I liked the program that it still made #2. Not much job opportunity for spouse. Winter sucks. Could make it work if you did a condo with exercise room, pool, etc, and some nice culture owing to the University.

Cons: didn't feel the same ownership of the ED/independence that Brown (among other programs) had. Rotate running trauma with surgery (complicated schedule). Really a tiny factor... location was the big drawback here.

3) Hopkins
Was my #1 for quite a while but something didn't feel right and I overthought it.

Training: 50k visits, have to rotate at a bunch of other sites (+ for diversity of experience/clinical setting but - for commuting and having that home-base big county hospital feel). These guys smell like internal medicine. Rounding and white coats in the ED, impressive DDx during chairman's rounds - felt like they knew Harrison's and Rosen's inside and out. Can't blame them considering modern medicine was founded here. One of oldest EDs (1974), have been their own department forever which ensures a huge alumni network with PDs/chiefs/chairs across the US. 4th year you work 1/2 time (attending schedule in the ED), designed for niche development but really makes more sense if you stay on for a 5th year to complete a fellowship as the 4th year work can count as the first year of certain fellowships. Plenty of trauma (no concern w Shock Trauma being closeby as Baltimore gets divided by East/West and produces more than enough trauma to support two residencies).

Location: It's not Manhattan, but that goes hand-in-hand with low COL and having a population conducive to EM pathology. Actually has a really nice waterfront - the city is super "block by block" and divided into small neighborhoods. Temperate and very walkable. Major transport hub, well-plugged into eastern seaboard.

Cons: ED felt quiet, no QPath, surgery runs the traumas, PD seems a little rule-oriented (no airways until you do anesthesia month), decent amount of commuting, 4 year program, really loved the program across the street (but just too hard to turn down the Hopkins pedigree).

4) Stanford
California dreaming. Has the academic reputation and research, strong job market for partner, and plenty of outdoor stuff to do.

Training: mostly at San Jose - 2nd busiest ED in Cali (90k?). In broad strokes, has all research/academic support you could want. Country club reputation is unwarranted considering a majority of the patients you see are at the county hospital in San Jose. Consider Stanford and the other Kaiser site the finishing touches on a robust clinical experience that really allows you to see the full scope of EM. Unrealistically strong (but shouldn't we all shoot for the stars) safety net and outpatient coordination through the Kaiser system - would feel comfortable applying Hestia criteria to these patients. 4th year is NOT designed as a niche/academic development year - leadership really feels that it takes 4 years to learn EM.

Location: most resident live in Mountain View between Palo Alto and San Jose to cut down on commute time. Cali. Bay area. Beach. Mountains. Sun.

Cons: commute was 2nd worst I experienced. Leadership schedules shifts so that you're opposite of the heavy-heavy-heavy-traffic, but I have a hard time believing there's not still in heavy traffic. 4 year program with less bang for your buck since it's not really designed to build a niche.

5) Maryland
Should be my #1. Best fit. Too vain to walk away from the names at 1-4.

Training: 50k visits, similar population to Hopkins. Everybody has an opinion re: Shock Trauma (not part of ED so never see trauma on an ED shift, but the volume is incredible so when you rotate for several months there you become expert. PD made analogy of learning to ride a bike: would you rather practice every day for a month or once a month for 3 years? At the end of the day, I feel like it's the procedures that matter [running a trauma is pretty algorithmic] and procedures are a-plenty here). Mattu is a boss. Willis is a boss (moved into med school leadership - academic affairs or something - but still works in the ED). Heavy "resident as educator" emphasis. Education/program leadership mentoring is second-to-none. This programs highlights that they train leaders, not just clinicians. I bought it. 3 year program (you work hard but what do you expect in a condensed timeframe?) and still strong research component. Multiple sites including some in DC which is a hellish commute.

Location: See Hopkins, though Maryland is on such a huge campus (nursing, other health schools) that there a buffer to the rest of Baltimore.

Cons: my Macbeth of a partner isn't as impressed by the name. Significant commuting. Doesn't have that 90k+ visit huge primary training site. Didn't feel same strength of US as Brown/Yale.

6) Pittsburgh
EM people in the northeast LOVE this program.

Training: Truly split (Mercy and Presby each like 60k), plus a couple other sites. One of those classically strong EM programs among the likes of Hennepin, Carolinas, LAC, Denver, Cinci... Stayed a 3 year program, so expect to work hard, but again probably worth it to get through a year quicker. Most would argue Pitt has the strongest EMS in the country, but that's not an interest of mine. Reputation, especially in the northeast (which has fewer long-established programs than the midwest) is super high. Most PDs produced of any program in the country.

Location: the horrible-ness of northeastern weather without the niceties of being connected to the eastern seaboard. This is a midwest city. The people are nicer here, but don't expect to ever see NYC/Boston/DC/Philly. COL is great. Traffic isn't bad. Gray gray city, little sun. Rivers are nice, hills are okay, delusional people compare the topography to San Francisco.

Cons: thought the emphasis on EMS was weird - outside of major cities, EMS director are often filled by non-BCBE folk, and within academic centers, it seems like the most junior faculty member gets pushed into the job - felt like it was a case of too much inertia to move on (program having lots of original EMS research, hard to let go of a field you started). Again not the 'wow-factor' outside of EM (which shouldn't matter, but excuse my vanity). Location doesn't help.

7) Baylor
Best city in the best market for EM in the country. If I don't train here, I'm coming down to practice here.

Training: Ben Taub (90k+ visits) is an absolute zoo. If there's a fellowship in hallway medicine, it will originate here. Incredible for training, not so incredible for patients, but then again, Texas is much better to doctors than it is to poor people. At first glance, feels like this program has the most diverse population in the country until you stop using "diversity" as a buzzword for non-white people. Almost exclusively indigent, uninsured, underserved population. Pathology here is amazing. Newer program than UTSW and UTH but I have no doubts that this will be the premiere program in Texas soon. PD Pillow was the most charismatic and engaging of the trail. Huge commitment to med-ed. When you think of "badass county programs" (Cook, Emory, etc), Baylor needs to be on your list. Just got granted full departmental status (in an impressively short time).

Location: Houston is awesome. Baylor sits in the middle of the largest medical center in the world. COL is cheap and all the buildings (except ironically Ben Taub) are new. Tarffic, despite the reputation, isn't bad at all. Don't live in the suburbs and try to commute. If you're within the 610 loop you're fine. Knowing Spanish would be a huge plus but is not a requirement.

Cons: might have trouble with the insured, medically literate patient. Resource poor is a blessing and a curse - you won't be using the cutting edge anything, but you'll learn how to get by with what you've got.

8) Georgetown
Sort of want to live in DC, sort of don't.

Training: not at Georgetown. Based out of Washington Hospital Center. Triple-focus on critical care, peds, and I forgot the third one. Really impressive what they squeeze into a 3 year curriculum (like 6 months of peds and ICU). Lots of 1 on 1 time with attendings. Came away really impressed but didn't get the same reaction from my advisors - I get the impression that we're in a different tier here than 1-6.

Location: DC, heard good things, COL and traffic are concerns - worth it?

Cons: none really, just didn't seem to have the reputation as some of the others

9) Albany
The glorious capital city of New York.

Training: solid all around. Well respected within the hospital (don't have the same intensity of medicine/surgery program reluctant to give up turf as some of the other programs on this list). Still a big enough city to feel urban, but you get trained like you're the only doc around (lots of responsibility, not a reliance on consult services). Best moonlighting opportunities that I came across (external, $150+/hr).

Location: lots of outdoor stuff between ADK and Berkshire mountains. Albany itself kind of depressed with a long gray winter (think Pittsburgh) - the attendings all live in the suburbs.

Cons: northeast winter, not as big a city as I'd like, again probably not the top-est of tier but an incredibly solid program.

10) NY Presby
Hats off to you if you want to live in NYC.

Training: split between Cornell and Columbia campuses. Bonus to have resources of both institutions, negative to have to commute between the two. Working toward departmental status, seems functionally independent. PD Carter is a big name in EM - they have a great resident as educator curriculum.

Location: Manhattan. Hellish COL. Hellish traffic. Hellish people.

Cons: didn't click with residents (though I do commend their geographic diversity - they even had someone from Queens in the program!).

11) Duke
Didn't get the impression that EM has made its footprint within the temple of Duke. Division of surgery. Can't imagine that Durham has the population base to support EM pathology (your rare disease medicine patients can fly into the triangle for specialists, but emergency medicine is local medicine).

12) Hennepin
Deserves better, but partner veto'd Minneapolis. Felt like this had the strongest procedural training. Loved the EM-run hospital (there are few other residencies based out of HCMC). Bought that this could be the best overall clinical training of the list. Cool stuff like broncoscopy suite in the resus rooms - do stuff here that you wouldn't anywhere else... but not sure that those skills translate (for example, nowhere else will have bronchoscope capability)

13) UConn
Very wellness-oriented program. Lightest schedule (18 8s as an intern, guaranteed 3 day weekend 1x/month), large impressive sim center. Not the same reputation (within EM and out) as other programs on here.

14) Denver
Community program on steroids. Learn by doing. They see more patients than any other program. Could graduate without ever picking up an EM text. I wholeheartedly disagree with their training philosophy. Little time for discussion about patient management or feedback. Residents proudly proclaimed they never needed to read since they see so much. Multiple surgeons (faculty and residents) who switched careers into EM who bring that mindset to EM.

Convinced that these docs graduate churning out RVUs like nobody else and are thus highly valued in community practice. However, I'm not convinced that they get the best EBM foundation.

Denver is kinda grungy. If you don't like weed or skiing you have no reason to idolize this city. Biggest disappointment of the trail.

Other:
Rejections: BIDMC, MGH/BWH, BMC, Penn, LAC, Carolinas, UNC, NYU

Last edited:
@doggydog note: I'm going to try to jump out in front of this one: people can have different opinions than you, it's okay, no need to lambast them for it.

Applicant Summary:
EM rotations: H/H
leadership experiences in some impressive projects. told personal statement was particularly interesting.

1. reputation within + outside of EM (fully understand my own vanity is a legit criticism of my RoL)
2. strength of clinical training.
3. partner job market.
4. prefer 3 vs 4 year.
5. location (NE closer to family and prefer larger city, outdoor stuff like mountains, beaches, etc)

1) Brown
Wasn't on my radar before interview season. Of all the "name will impress my grandmother" programs, stood out as having excellent clinical training (singularly fulfills #1 and #2 on things that mattered to me). Training: 110k+ visits at main training site with excellent throughput (no psych boarding, fast track mostly taken care of by mid-levels, strong social work and safety net in RI), "county with resources" environment, EM is own department. Trauma is a consult service. QPath with US fellows giving feedback on scans. Graduated responsibility (but not so strict that you won't touch an airway until 3rd year like some other programs). Speaking of 3rd year, residents spend most of it running 8? CC rooms. Upper level ICU rotations. Dedicated ED radiology that routinely goes over imaging whenever you have time. 4th year pretending role but also enough elective time to develop niche or start fellowship/masters degree. Emphasis on resident as educator with teaching opportunities. Highest % of academicians in graduating classes that I encountered (60%).

Location: Downtown and East Side with beautiful architecture, preservation and renovation movements lead by RISD. No traffic or commute to different sites (Miriam close by and for Newport month, program gives you a beach house). Close to Boston without the traffic of COL. RI beaches are nice.

Cons: Providence wouldn't be the greatest for single residents. Fairly limited to two neighborhoods with decent QOL (the rest is sort of depressed-post-industrial). Winter in NE sucks. 4 year program. Not the EM-reputation of Pitt/Hennepin. Somewhat limited moonlighting (critical patient transfers for ~80/hour).

2) Yale
Training: also large primary hospital (~100k visits), again "county with resources" feel (using "county" to mean where the indigent patients go), again with a diverse patient population, similarly "the only game in town". Most impressive research, especially in med-ed. Very strong US, again with fellows reviewing QPath. J&J scholars program would be incredible if Global EM was my jam. Great sim, similar 4th year setup to develop niche. Ivory tower concerns should be mitigated knowing PD is a no-nonsense army guy.

Location: New Haven is a killer. That's how much I liked the program that it still made #2. Not much job opportunity for spouse. Winter sucks. Could make it work if you did a condo with exercise room, pool, etc, and some nice culture owing to the University.

Cons: didn't feel the same ownership of the ED/independence that Brown (among other programs) had. Rotate running trauma with surgery (complicated schedule). Really a tiny factor... location was the big drawback here.

3) Hopkins
Was my #1 for quite a while but something didn't feel right and I overthought it.

Training: 50k visits, have to rotate at a bunch of other sites (+ for diversity of experience/clinical setting but - for commuting and having that home-base big county hospital feel). These guys smell like internal medicine. Rounding and white coats in the ED, impressive DDx during chairman's rounds - felt like they knew Harrison's and Rosen's inside and out. Can't blame them considering modern medicine was founded here. One of oldest EDs (1974), have been their own department forever which ensures a huge alumni network with PDs/chiefs/chairs across the US. 4th year you work 1/2 time (attending schedule in the ED), designed for niche development but really makes more sense if you stay on for a 5th year to complete a fellowship as the 4th year work can count as the first year of certain fellowships. Plenty of trauma (no concern w Shock Trauma being closeby as Baltimore gets divided by East/West and produces more than enough trauma to support two residencies).

Location: It's not Manhattan, but that goes hand-in-hand with low COL and having a population conducive to EM pathology. Actually has a really nice waterfront - the city is super "block by block" and divided into small neighborhoods. Temperate and very walkable. Major transport hub, well-plugged into eastern seaboard.

Cons: ED felt quiet, no QPath, surgery runs the traumas, PD seems a little rule-oriented (no airways until you do anesthesia month), decent amount of commuting, 4 year program, really loved the program across the street (but just too hard to turn down the Hopkins pedigree).

4) Stanford
California dreaming. Has the academic reputation and research, strong job market for partner, and plenty of outdoor stuff to do.

Training: mostly at San Jose - 2nd busiest ED in Cali (90k?). In broad strokes, has all research/academic support you could want. Country club reputation is unwarranted considering a majority of the patients you see are at the county hospital in San Jose. Consider Stanford and the other Kaiser site the finishing touches on a robust clinical experience that really allows you to see the full scope of EM. Unrealistically strong (but shouldn't we all shoot for the stars) safety net and outpatient coordination through the Kaiser system - would feel comfortable applying Hestia criteria to these patients. 4th year is NOT designed as a niche/academic development year - leadership really feels that it takes 4 years to learn EM.

Location: most resident live in Mountain View between Palo Alto and San Jose to cut down on commute time. Cali. Bay area. Beach. Mountains. Sun.

Cons: commute was 2nd worst I experienced. Leadership schedules shifts so that you're opposite of the heavy-heavy-heavy-traffic, but I have a hard time believing there's not still in heavy traffic. 4 year program with less bang for your buck since it's not really designed to build a niche.

5) Maryland
Should be my #1. Best fit. Too vain to walk away from the names at 1-4.

Training: 50k visits, similar population to Hopkins. Everybody has an opinion re: Shock Trauma (not part of ED so never see trauma on an ED shift, but the volume is incredible so when you rotate for several months there you become expert. PD made analogy of learning to ride a bike: would you rather practice every day for a month or once a month for 3 years? At the end of the day, I feel like it's the procedures that matter [running a trauma is pretty algorithmic] and procedures are a-plenty here). Mattu is a boss. Willis is a boss (moved into med school leadership - academic affairs or something - but still works in the ED). Heavy "resident as educator" emphasis. Education/program leadership mentoring is second-to-none. This programs highlights that they train leaders, not just clinicians. I bought it. 3 year program (you work hard but what do you expect in a condensed timeframe?) and still strong research component. Multiple sites including some in DC which is a hellish commute.

Location: See Hopkins, though Maryland is on such a huge campus (nursing, other health schools) that there a buffer to the rest of Baltimore.

Cons: my Macbeth of a partner isn't as impressed by the name. Significant commuting. Doesn't have that 90k+ visit huge primary training site. Didn't feel same strength of US as Brown/Yale.

6) Pittsburgh
EM people in the northeast LOVE this program.

Training: Truly split (Mercy and Presby each like 60k), plus a couple other sites. One of those classically strong EM programs among the likes of Hennepin, Carolinas, LAC, Denver, Cinci... Stayed a 3 year program, so expect to work hard, but again probably worth it to get through a year quicker. Most would argue Pitt has the strongest EMS in the country, but that's not an interest of mine. Reputation, especially in the northeast (which has fewer long-established programs than the midwest) is super high. Most PDs produced of any program in the country.

Location: the horrible-ness of northeastern weather without the niceties of being connected to the eastern seaboard. This is a midwest city. The people are nicer here, but don't expect to ever see NYC/Boston/DC/Philly. COL is great. Traffic isn't bad. Gray gray city, little sun. Rivers are nice, hills are okay, delusional people compare the topography to San Francisco.

Cons: thought the emphasis on EMS was weird - outside of major cities, EMS director are often filled by non-BCBE folk, and within academic centers, it seems like the most junior faculty member gets pushed into the job - felt like it was a case of too much inertia to move on (program having lots of original EMS research, hard to let go of a field you started). Again not the 'wow-factor' outside of EM (which shouldn't matter, but excuse my vanity). Location doesn't help.

7) Baylor
Best city in the best market for EM in the country. If I don't train here, I'm coming down to practice here.

Training: Ben Taub (90k+ visits) is an absolute zoo. If there's a fellowship in hallway medicine, it will originate here. Incredible for training, not so incredible for patients, but then again, Texas is much better to doctors than it is to poor people. At first glance, feels like this program has the most diverse population in the country until you stop using "diversity" as a buzzword for non-white people. Almost exclusively indigent, uninsured, underserved population. Pathology here is amazing. Newer program than UTSW and UTH but I have no doubts that this will be the premiere program in Texas soon. PD Pillow was the most charismatic and engaging of the trail. Huge commitment to med-ed. When you think of "badass county programs" (Cook, Emory, etc), Baylor needs to be on your list. Just got granted full departmental status (in an impressively short time).

Location: Houston is awesome. Baylor sits in the middle of the largest medical center in the world. COL is cheap and all the buildings (except ironically Ben Taub) are new. Tarffic, despite the reputation, isn't bad at all. Don't live in the suburbs and try to commute. If you're within the 610 loop you're fine. Knowing Spanish would be a huge plus but is not a requirement.

Cons: might have trouble with the insured, medically literate patient. Resource poor is a blessing and a curse - you won't be using the cutting edge anything, but you'll learn how to get by with what you've got.

8) Georgetown
Sort of want to live in DC, sort of don't.

Training: not at Georgetown. Based out of Washington Hospital Center. Triple-focus on critical care, peds, and I forgot the third one. Really impressive what they squeeze into a 3 year curriculum (like 6 months of peds and ICU). Lots of 1 on 1 time with attendings. Came away really impressed but didn't get the same reaction from my advisors - I get the impression that we're in a different tier here than 1-6.

Location: DC, heard good things, COL and traffic are concerns - worth it?

Cons: none really, just didn't seem to have the reputation as some of the others

9) Albany
The glorious capital city of New York.

Training: solid all around. Well respected within the hospital (don't have the same intensity of medicine/surgery program reluctant to give up turf as some of the other programs on this list). Still a big enough city to feel urban, but you get trained like you're the only doc around (lots of responsibility, not a reliance on consult services). Best moonlighting opportunities that I came across (external, $150+/hr).

Location: lots of outdoor stuff between ADK and Berkshire mountains. Albany itself kind of depressed with a long gray winter (think Pittsburgh) - the attendings all live in the suburbs.

Cons: northeast winter, not as big a city as I'd like, again probably not the top-est of tier but an incredibly solid program.

10) NY Presby
Hats off to you if you want to live in NYC.

Training: split between Cornell and Columbia campuses. Bonus to have resources of both institutions, negative to have to commute between the two. Working toward departmental status, seems functionally independent. PD Carter is a big name in EM - they have a great resident as educator curriculum.

Location: Manhattan. Hellish COL. Hellish traffic. Hellish people.

Cons: didn't click with residents (though I do commend their geographic diversity - they even had someone from Queens in the program!).

11) Duke
Didn't get the impression that EM has made its footprint within the temple of Duke. Division of surgery. Can't imagine that Durham has the population base to support EM pathology (your rare disease medicine patients can fly into the triangle for specialists, but emergency medicine is local medicine).

12) Hennepin
Deserves better, but partner veto'd Minneapolis. Felt like this had the strongest procedural training. Loved the EM-run hospital (there are few other residencies based out of HCMC). Bought that this could be the best overall clinical training of the list. Cool stuff like broncoscopy suite in the resus rooms - do stuff here that you wouldn't anywhere else... but not sure that those skills translate (for example, nowhere else will have bronchoscope capability)

13) UConn
Very wellness-oriented program. Lightest schedule (18 8s as an intern, guaranteed 3 day weekend 1x/month), large impressive sim center. Not the same reputation (within EM and out) as other programs on here.

14) Denver
Community program on steroids. Learn by doing. They see more patients than any other program. Could graduate without ever picking up an EM text. I wholeheartedly disagree with their training philosophy. Little time for discussion about patient management or feedback. Residents proudly proclaimed they never needed to read since they see so much. Multiple surgeons (faculty and residents) who switched careers into EM who bring that mindset to EM.

Convinced that these docs graduate churning out RVUs like nobody else and are thus highly valued in community practice. However, I'm not convinced that they get the best EBM foundation.

Denver is kinda grungy. If you don't like weed or skiing you have no reason to idolize this city. Biggest disappointment of the trail.

Other:
Rejections: BIDMC, MGH/BWH, BMC, Penn, LAC, Carolinas, UNC, NYU

Nice ROL and explanations OP.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I wish I could learn by only "doing and never having to pick up a textbook." Sadly, my program is very EBM-heavy, which implies a need to keep up with the literature. Also, Denver Health is a county hospital.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone having have hard time ranking a new but promising program in a desirable location versus an established program with a proven track record in a less desirable location?

Deleted upon request of anonymous poster.

Last edited:

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 240s, Step 2: 260s
EM rotations: P/H
Medical School Region: Northeast
Top 25 school, leadership experience, strong SLOE from away rotation

Location/cost of living, fit/personality of program leadership and residents, sick/under served patient population, 3 >> 4

1/2) Temple ---
Pros: Residents were friendliest I met on the interview trail, was clear they were a tight knit bunch; they all stayed after interview dinner to hang out together after the applicants filed out. Safety-net hospital with (some) resources feel; sick patients, tons of trauma/procedures. Trauma integrated into each shift so junior residents get comfortable with chest tubes/lines early on. Residents spoke highly of ICU months. CHOP for peds. Early responsibility, no hand holding. Dr. McNamara is a big name in the field and the current PD is great. CoL in Philly is awesome, great city.

Cons: Not many; perhaps lack of patient diversity, unsure how residents felt about their community sites

1/2) Cooper ---
Pros: Really liked the Chair and other interviewers here, everyone was super down to Earth and seemed to love being at Cooper. Program seems to welcome innovation/new ideas in resident education and places a strong emphasis on resident education. Great SIM center and curriculum. Have a bunch of CC/EM boarded faculty which is an interest of mine. Good relationship with ED ancillary staff/nurses. Camden, NJ sick/underserved population but Cooper also serves as Level 1 trauma center/tertiary hospital for huge catchment area of South Jersey so very diverse patient population. Commute from heart of Philly is 10min subway ride.

Cons: Trauma not integrated (similar to Maryland/Shock Trauma) however they triage lot of traumas to regular ED that would be trauma activations elsewhere (there's no shortage of trauma in Camden).

3) BIDMC/Harvard ---
Pros: 3+1 format is great; could stay on 4th year for junior attending salary while completing a fellowship. Mass healthcare system means that patients have insurance/PCPs and ED visitors are typically pretty sick. Residents here were some of nicest I met on the trail. Super strong group of faculty despite being a relatively young program. Variety of clinical sites means that residents have their pick of jobs after graduating; residents get desirable academic positions even without completing the +1 year.

+/- Residents rotate through a ton of clinical sites; however they didn't seem to mind this as each site provides something different. Get most of penetrating trauma on rotation at St. Luke's in New Bedford 1 hr away.

Cons: Boston weather/CoL. Probably don't see as much trauma as some other programs

4) University of Maryland ---
Pros: Really strong emphasis on resident education and on shaping residents into future top educators in the world of EM; loved the morning conference/didactic we attended. Sick patient population at both main hospital and community site (very close by). Shock Trauma is great however trauma is separate from regular shifts. Baltimore is super affordable and has some great neighborhoods. Dr. Mattu is a leader in the field and other big names in the FOAM world.

Cons: Trauma not integrated, 12 hr shifts at main hospital

5) Stanford ---
Pros: Diversity of 3 very different clinical sites (Stanford, Kaiser, busy county hospital). Despite recent transition from 3 --> 4 years, curriculum seems well thought out and best global med opportunities I saw on trail. Beautiful weather, facilities. The faculty and residents were laid back. PD seems great.

Cons: 4 years, cost of living (despite having highest salary on the trail), traffic, many 12 hr shifts, county hospital is great but don't spend as much time there as I would like

6) Georgetown ---
Pros: Residents seemed like a really fun bunch. PD is very well-liked. WHC (home base ED) sees sick/underserved population. Children's National for Peds. Residents work 1:1 with attending as interns, develop skills quickly.

Cons: cost of living

7) UPenn ---
Pros: Resus area/rotation is great. Increased presence at Penn Presby hospital seems like a big +, lots of trauma with the nicest trauma bay I saw on trail. PD is awesome. CHOP for peds.

Cons: 4 years and didn't sell me on 4th year, didn't click with a few of the interviewers

8) UChicago ---
Pros: Residents seemed incredibly well trained. Early responsibility, no hand holding. Diversity of clinical sites. Opening a new level 1 trauma on south side next year. Great PD. CoL is reasonable for a big city. Flight program seems pretty awesome. Super well-established program with huge alumni footprint in EM.

Cons: Chicago winters

Rest of List:
9 - 12 below in no particular order. I'd be happy to match anywhere on my list, didn't come across a program I didn't think I would get great training at.

UMass (residents work very hard but seemed extremely well trained, location was only downside to this program), Yale (really liked the PD and residents here, training sites seem like a good fit, 4 years and location moved it down on list), Jefferson, GW

Other:
Waitlist/Rejections: USC/LAC, UCSF, UCLA Harbor, UCLA Olive View, Duke, UNC, BMC, Advocate Christ, Vandy, UCSD, Northwestern, Hopkins

Declined Interviews: Cook County, Cinci, Brown, Highland

patients have insurance/PCPs and ED visitors are typically pretty sick.

People have mentioned/discussed this before. My experience is that the opposite is true, i.e. uninsured patients are sicker due to their lack of care. The thought process you're obviously going through is that if a patient has a PCP, their lesser issues may not end up in the ER. While this is true, it doesn't greatly influence your average EP. If someone comes in for a med refill, URI or something else stupid, it is either seen by a midlevel or takes you no time to see, document and DC the patient. Whereas if a patient don't have PCPs, their health problems get out of control, e.g. that tiny lump got neglected until it's widely metastatic cancer, people can't afford their insulin so come in with a pH of 6.8 or patients don't manage their CHF so come in with florid pulm edema and cardiogenic shock. Obviously, having a PCP is certainly better for the patient, but I disagree that widespread use of PCPs leads to sicker patients.

Where I did residency, we served as both the academic and the county hospital. I found the uninsured patients to be much sicker on average. Sure, we got the homeless alcoholic who wanted a sandwich or the "I can't afford my copay so I figured you'd just write me my anti-HTN rx for free!" - but again, those take 30 seconds to treat and street.

Can people offer some more feedback on NY places such as St Lukes, NYP-Queens, LIJ/Northshore, NYU, Jacobi/Montefiore?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Can people offer some more feedback on NY places such as St Lukes, NYP-Queens, LIJ/Northshore, NYU, Jacobi/Montefiore?

Thanks!

Hofstra Northwell LIJ/Northshore

PROS:
- Very high salary (~70K as an intern)
- Subsidized housing - $900/month for 1 bedroom – close to North Shore Hospital (5 min walk) and 10 min drive to LIJ.
- Diverse patient population (very sick/well connected at Northshore, underserved at LIJ).
- Established international programs in Africa and Asia. Tons of resources for residents.
- Very strong ultrasound and pediatric experience.
- Emphasis on medical education ("residents as teachers") beginning intern year

CONS:
- 3+1 program is new this year – lots of changes within the program
- Cramped EDs, didn’t seem like a fun place to work
- Long Island traffic
- Travel to Shock Trauma for a rotation.
- 12-hour shifts all 4 years
- Wasn’t really feeling the program – residents were okay, PD was nice but didn't quite vibe with him

Einstein - Jacobi/Montefiore
I wrote a review on the program's thread:

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...e-jacobi-montefiore-residency-reviews.771690/

Hofstra Northwell LIJ/Northshore

PROS:
- Very high salary (~70K as an intern)
- Subsidized housing - $900/month for 1 bedroom – close to North Shore Hospital (5 min walk) and 10 min drive to LIJ.
- Diverse patient population (very sick/well connected at Northshore, underserved at LIJ).
- Established international programs in Africa and Asia. Tons of resources for residents.
- Very strong ultrasound and pediatric experience.
- Emphasis on medical education ("residents as teachers") beginning intern year

CONS:
- 3+1 program is new this year – lots of changes within the program
- Cramped EDs, didn’t seem like a fun place to work
- Long Island traffic
- Travel to Shock Trauma for a rotation.
- 12-hour shifts all 4 years
- Wasn’t really feeling the program – residents were okay, PD was nice but didn't quite vibe with him

It's a 3 year program, right? 4th year is optional in case you want to add something

Alright, SDN. Since it's been pretty quiet in here, how about you all help me decide how to rank Denver vs. Christ (I know, nobody can tell me what's best for me except me...but these programs are almost equivalent in my mind and I'm tired of endlessly mulling it over with nothing really helping me decide. One day I'm in favor of one program, the next day it's the other. So why not).

Things I'm considering:

-Perceived quality of training (which I think is different for everybody - I'm really interested in a program that emphasizes learning by doing and being primarily responsible for patient management while they are in the ED, for example, while others might be looking for something different or more of an academic experience where the ED might be coordinating the patient's care among multiple services)
  • Both programs churn out some clinically excellent graduates. Not sure if Denver perhaps has a slight advantage here with their fourth years literally running the entire ED + some awesome off-service rotations or if that makes a difference several years out anyway. Christ 3rd years were (and even 2nd years) were extremely impressive as well.
- Quality of life for my family (which includes things like where we would be living, COL/salary/insurance cost, easy access to things for them to do and for us to do on days off, flight length for traveling home or incoming family), and general feeling of "fit" (which is vague and will be different for everyone - part of this though was determined by how "at home" we might feel there, how I got along with the current residents and by the program leadership's reaction when I brought up my family, etc.)
  • This one is hard. We'd probably rather live in Denver, but might have an extra couple of days off/month at Christ, which could be used to hang out with family/moonlight internally starting second year = extra cash for a growing family.
  • People at Denver seemed pretty nice. Residents at Christ were some of the most awesome people I've seen on the trail.
- Reputation is something I'm thinking about (I think most people would be lying if they said they didn't) but was really less important than the above factors.
  • Denver probably wins here on SDN anyway, but Christ is also a well-known program in the world of EM. And for good reason.
  • I think where this really might come into play is getting into desired geographical location for fellowship (see below); don't really care so much about which residency graduation certificate or whatever is hanging on my wall (because I won't have a wall or want to hang anything up there if I did).
- I'm proooobably going to do a CCM fellowship. About 70% sure. This might change.
  • Both have EM CCM mentors. Denver has sent grads to programs I'd love to go to later on. Has a floor month built in + some other elective time; might be easier to fit requirements for EM --> CCM pathway. Christ does have a decent bit of elective time for a 3 year program (3 months).
  • Christ is 3 years vs. Denver's 4. Would be finished faster, but if I end up deciding to not do a fellowship I might feel better about having that 4th year of training.

Alright, SDN. Since it's been pretty quiet in here, how about you all help me decide how to rank Denver vs. Christ (I know, nobody can tell me what's best for me except me...but these programs are almost equivalent in my mind and I'm tired of endlessly mulling it over with nothing really helping me decide. One day I'm in favor of one program, the next day it's the other. So why not).

Things I'm considering:

-Perceived quality of training (which I think is different for everybody - I'm really interested in a program that emphasizes learning by doing and being primarily responsible for patient management while they are in the ED, for example, while others might be looking for something different or more of an academic experience where the ED might be coordinating the patient's care among multiple services)
  • Both programs churn out some clinically excellent graduates. Not sure if Denver perhaps has a slight advantage here with their fourth years literally running the entire ED + some awesome off-service rotations or if that makes a difference several years out anyway. Christ 3rd years were (and even 2nd years) were extremely impressive as well.
- Quality of life for my family (which includes things like where we would be living, COL/salary/insurance cost, easy access to things for them to do and for us to do on days off, flight length for traveling home or incoming family), and general feeling of "fit" (which is vague and will be different for everyone - part of this though was determined by how "at home" we might feel there, how I got along with the current residents and by the program leadership's reaction when I brought up my family, etc.)
  • This one is hard. We'd probably rather live in Denver, but might have an extra couple of days off/month at Christ, which could be used to hang out with family/moonlight internally starting second year = extra cash for a growing family.
  • People at Denver seemed pretty nice. Residents at Christ were some of the most awesome people I've seen on the trail.
- Reputation is something I'm thinking about (I think most people would be lying if they said they didn't) but was really less important than the above factors.
  • Denver probably wins here on SDN anyway, but Christ is also a well-known program in the world of EM. And for good reason.
  • I think where this really might come into play is getting into desired geographical location for fellowship (see below); don't really care so much about which residency graduation certificate or whatever is hanging on my wall (because I won't have a wall or want to hang anything up there if I did).
- I'm proooobably going to do a CCM fellowship. About 70% sure. This might change.
  • Both have EM CCM mentors. Denver has sent grads to programs I'd love to go to later on. Has a floor month built in + some other elective time; might be easier to fit requirements for EM --> CCM pathway. Christ does have a decent bit of elective time for a 3 year program (3 months).
  • Christ is 3 years vs. Denver's 4. Would be finished faster, but if I end up deciding to not do a fellowship I might feel better about having that 4th year of training.

for us noobs, do you mean Christiana or Advocate? You didn't really mention location for Christ.

for us noobs, do you mean Christiana or Advocate? You didn't really mention location for Christ.

Advocate. Location for Christ would be fine but not great. Denver wins in that regard for me, but that's the only really clear cut victory, and honestly the greater Chicago area would be more than fine for a few years.

Advocate. Location for Christ would be fine but not great. Denver wins in that regard for me, but that's the only really clear cut victory, and honestly the greater Chicago area would be more than fine for a few years.
If you read your previous post, the context in which you talk about the two programs shows a clear preference towards Christ. Atleast thats what I am reading into it.

Seeing a lot of west coast med school applicants that get interviews all up and down California. Is the bias that strong or are there west-to-east coast implants having this much success matching back home too?

The bias is real.

Unless you did a rotation or have strong connections out west I wouldn't expect to get tons of interviews from CA programs.

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: second attempt - 229, Step 2: 221
EM rotations: HP/HP/P
Medical school region: Caribbean Medical School (5 year path)

Location (originally from midwest region), 8>12hr, 3>4yr

1) Kendall -
Pros: great newer program in florida, awesome faculty and first intern class was really friendly, really drank the 'we're gonna be great' kool-aid when I was there because the PD portrays it well, probably the best 'newer' program (0-1 year old) in my opinion

Cons: its always hott but thats better than cold

2) UIC -
Pros: SO has good job opportunities in town which helps us out quite a bit, would love to be here but the cold weather gives me chills (literally)

Cons: multiple sites to work at makes it a hassle

3) Arkansas -
Pro: well established program in the midwestish area, great hold of EMS all over arkansas which helps them pull patients of all pathology, although its 12 hours shifts everyone there was happy which convinced me to place them higher

Cons: 12 hour shifts

4) Arizona -
Pros: great program in a decent area in town, I was extremely impressed with their facilities and lots of CC trained docs which I am interested in

Cons: the applicants I were with were not the nicest peopple, although this shouldn't affect what I think of the program it subtly does

5) SLU -
Pros: smaller program with lots of residents with kids/families which I appreciated, not the biggest fan of STL but the program is well established and 3 years (as opposed to the 4 yr program across town)

Cons: the PD was aggressive, not as well liked as other PDs (per residents)

6) Mayo -
Pros: can NOT live in rochester but its this high up due to the name of the program..i didn't really drink the kool-aid that the previous posters talked about hence why it is 6th.

Cons: rochester is not survivable in the winter lol

7) Stroger Cook County -
Pros: 4 year program, they speak so highly of the trauma they see but thats just a alogorithm in my opinion so i didn't really buy into the importance of that..patient population was slightly more underserved than UIC which I can appreciate

Cons: 4 longgg years

8) UT murphreesboro -
Pros: none listed

Cons: accepted interview to try and get to golden number of ranks..was not impressed but I am just not a small town guy (not that small atleast)

Rest of the List:
UT Chatanooga, Ohio state, U. of Kansas, U of Missouri

Complete and utter BS. With these scores, it would be impossible for a carib grad to match EM, yet alone family in some of the most godawful IMG sticken programs of NYC or Michigan. on the other hand, If applied wisely/broadly, a US-MD applicant with the same scores would get close to 10 interviews and most likely match.

Things I'm considering:

Don't do 4 years if you're going to go on to do 2 more years of CCM. An extra year will push you closer to being tired and just wanting to be done with training thereby increasing the odds of skipping fellowship. Heck, with 6 years you could do EM/IM/CCM, pulm/CCM, surg/CCM, anesthesia/CCM/ct. You would be selling yourself short.

Anyone with closer to average scores going to post their rank lists? I see maybe a couple and one of them looks fake AF

Seeing a lot of west coast med school applicants that get interviews all up and down California. Is the bias that strong or are there west-to-east coast implants having this much success matching back home too?
It's that strong. I am not from CA originally, but I was a resident for 7 years; I have multiple degrees from CA schools and unique research that shows I have strong CA ties. Average applicant. No west coast love minus a single waitlist.

Anyone with closer to average scores going to post their rank lists? I see maybe a couple and one of them looks fake AF
I expect to see an increase in submissions after the ROL cerification date.

This may have been asked before but when do programs submit their final rank list - the same day as we do?

Due date for programs to submit is Feb 22

Question for PDs on SDN: if an applicant has a friend who is a current resident, do the words and recommendations from that resident carry any weight for that applicant? Assuming both applicant and resident are solid/in good standing.

I imagine this varies for each PD, but I'm curious.

Of course. Assuming the residency is a tightnit and open group, obviously most PDs and faculty want their residents to all get along. So if a resident knows someone well and thinks they'd be a good fit, and its a resident who you really appreciate as a PD, you'd definitely weigh that in choosing where to rank a candidate.

I'd imagine most residencies weigh resident input in general regarding all the candidates ranked. Residents are a big part of interview season and will be the colleagues for each match class. Their opinions are very important as to where people get ranked in general.

Reactions: 4 users