2016 - 2017 Nontrad M-1 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm curious what others are planning on doing/did. Any suggestions?

Selling virtually everything. We are moving from a four bedroom house to a two bedroom apartment with no storage/patio/garage. Keeping some essentials (computers, bed, some of the kid's toys) and then replacing anything we find out we actually need.

images

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
We just bought a house! I guess this is what adulthood feels like... (and god bless the extremely affordable cost of living in the rural south)

Reactions: 5 users
We just bought a house! I guess this is what adulthood feels like... (and god bless the extremely affordable cost of living in the rural south)
Congrats! I love owning... except for the unexpected costs/repairs where we can't call the super to take care of it.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! I love owning... except for the unexpected costs/repairs where we can't call the super to take care of it.
^^^^^
We had to replace a sewer line. Repercussions: I have a trench going down my backyard and lost 50% of the backyards grass in its wake and I have a fence post dead center the trench that has settled with the hole. (I can either pull it or move the brackets up 2-5inches so you don't see the subtle V the rails create)

^^^^^
We had to replace a sewer line. Repercussions: I have a trench going down my backyard and lost 50% of the backyards grass in its wake and I have a fence post dead center the trench that has settled with the hole. (I can either pull it or move the brackets up 2-5inches so you don't see the subtle V the rails create)
Our basement flooded during a rainstorm. New gutters. The house was flipped before we bought it and they did shoddy plumbing in the guest bathroom that caused some drywall to rot.

Welcome to adulthood :)

Reactions: 1 user
From what my friends who just finished MS3/4 have said about it - none of them were a fan. Theres a good thread on here somewhere about anki/bro's deck vs firecracker/vs other tools, I'll look if I can find it

From what my friends who just finished MS3/4 have said about it - none of them were a fan. Theres a good thread on here somewhere about anki/bro's deck vs firecracker/vs other tools, I'll look if I can find it
I've read that one - thanks for thinking of it!

If you have the $$ though, my thought is it's best to try all the tools until you find one that fits - I just happen to LOVE anki, and find that making cards myself is the best active learning technique for my own learning style. Others hate it - I just find I can make cards ridiculously quick now that i've spent some time getting the tool itself down, that time is well spent. But to each their own

If you have the $$ though, my thought is it's best to try all the tools until you find one that fits - I just happen to LOVE anki, and find that making cards myself is the best active learning technique for my own learning style. Others hate it - I just find I can make cards ridiculously quick now that i've spent some time getting the tool itself down, that time is well spent. But to each their own
Yeah I've looked at Anki and tried to figure out cards, etc. I think it seems like a big investment in time, but I understand how the actual process of making the cards is still beneficial/educational. I think there's an opportunity to try FC free for a short period, so maybe I'll look into doing that and seeing if I hate it too. And thankfully I do have the resources to be able to purchase FC should we decide that's the best use of the money.

Househunting in our city-to-be today :D

Happy Memorial Day weekend!

Reactions: 6 users
Packed up my apartment last night.

Driving out of town after work ends today.

Excited and sad at the same time.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When is it appropriate to change my LinkedIn profile description to student? And how does one phrase it in the "headline"? I've seen "Candidate, MD class of 2020" or whatever on LinkedIn but wanted to crowd source.

And when do us old-farts consider it appropriate to add it to Facebook? I'm 100% set on the school, but I don't want to come off as too eager :)

I'm always asking the important questions.

When is it appropriate to change my LinkedIn profile description to student? And how does one phrase it in the "headline"? I've seen "Candidate, MD class of 2020" or whatever on LinkedIn but wanted to crowd source.

And when do us old-farts consider it appropriate to add it to Facebook? I'm 100% set on the school, but I don't want to come off as too eager :)

I changed my Linkedin recently, changed my school stuff on FB on traffic day. FB primarily because it lets everyone know if they dont already and they cant get mad that I didnt tell them. -eye roll-

That's a good question. I'd like to hear what other people phrased it as as well.

I do not have a LinkedIn so can't comment on that, but I planned on adding the med school I will be attending on Facebook around the time classes start. I've heard the "MD candidate" thing is sometimes seen as a little odd, as that usually refers to PhD programs (again, only from hearsay).

:laugh:

I think it's fine if you want to do it by this point, and I'd agree with @VegasPreMed that "candidate" feels unnecessary. "Class of 2020" seems fine if you really want to tell people your grad date, as that already implies you're a future graduate.

I did a lot of googling and found examples of other medical students. Top 3 versions of headlines are:

1. Medical student, class of 20XX
2. Student Doctor, class of 20xx
3. Medical student, MD/DO candidate

#2 seems pretentious to me, but maybe that's just me. A small minority had "future [specialty] physician".

I did a lot of googling and found examples of other medical students. Top 3 versions of headlines are:

1. Medical student, class of 20XX
2. Student Doctor, class of 20xx
3. Medical student, MD/DO candidate

#2 seems pretentious to me, but maybe that's just me. A small minority had "future [specialty] physician".

I agree, #2 made me chuckle. I tend to be a minimalist, so I vote for #1. Simple, clean, and to the point.

Funny that this came up - with my undergrad I recently got called out on my email signature. Long story, but I had something like
"Name
Univ. Wash, 2016
B.S. molecular, cellular, developmental biology"

Or the likes. Well when it's 2014 it's clearly a future grad. But after the new year, it's now ambiguous. The person made a point of asking, "Did you graduate, because your email says you did". I graduate on the 11th. It was a bit ridiculous, esp since they knew when grad was

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do I need a linkedin?

As a person without a career that involved networking, I never created one. Is that something that is important for making contacts in medical school?

Do I need a linkedin?

As a person without a career that involved networking, I never created one. Is that something that is important for making contacts in medical school?
IDK about med school but it's been totally useless to me up until this point...

Do I need a linkedin?

My husband's in a field where it really matters, so I kinda just went along and made one. Who knows?

Do I need a linkedin? As a person without a career that involved networking, I never created one. Is that something that is important for making contacts in medical school?

I saw a dramatic increase in the number of times my LinkedIn page was viewed during interview season. I don't think it would hurt to have a page there, and it could help, so why not? All the cool kids are doing it.

You already wrote out descriptions for everything you've ever done for AMCAS anyway, so it shouldn't take long to populate a LinkedIn page. :)

Do I need a linkedin?

This is my question too. Maybe it's a rite of passage.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using SDN mobile

Got to my new city today. Viewed apartments for half the day. One has a chance, the rest were pretty depressing. The apartment hunt is already a touch emotionally draining. Who knows, though? It only takes one really great visit to find something awesome...

Got to my new city today. Viewed apartments for half the day. One has a chance, the rest were pretty depressing. The apartment hunt is already a touch emotionally draining. Who knows, though? It only takes one really great visit to find something awesome...
Found the perfect place for a great price today on Zillow. I contacted the property managers after only 30 minutes of it being posted. They already had someone who had paid the $60 application fee and submitted an application. I'm next if it falls through but I can't believe how fast that place went. I'll have to jump right on the next one.

Found the perfect place for a great price today on Zillow. I contacted the property managers after only 30 minutes of it being posted. They already had someone who had paid the $60 application fee and submitted an application. I'm next if it falls through but I can't believe how fast that place went. I'll have to jump right on the next one.

Yeah we sprinted to two places today as soon as they opened. Ended up not really liking either... We have an option on the table that isn't something we love. We're in that inbetween space where we don't know if we should wrap it up or keep looking through the next week. (Class begins two weeks from Monday.)

A non trad thread?!? Be still, my heart.

What's everyone reading right now? Work ends in 10 days and I'm looking forward to some books! I like literary fiction (meaning, no vampires or such) and also non-fiction. I'm open to medical and non-medical suggestions!

What's everyone reading right now? Work ends in 10 days and I'm looking forward to some books! I like literary fiction (meaning, no vampires or such) and also non-fiction. I'm open to medical and non-medical suggestions!

If ANYONE says anatomy textbooks or anything implying pre-studying before med school starts, you might find yourself banned from the Nontrad forum...

That's all. Carry on.

:cool:

Reactions: 2 users
I would get an anatomy textbook and some other pre-study materials. Maybe start studying for boards.

Reactions: 3 users

Like sci-fi? The Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson is one of my all time favorites. It's not just hard sci-fi though. It's also highly political.

In seriousness though, I'm reading "Life is a Miracle" by Wendell Barry. It's a philosophical book arguing against reductionism and promissory materialism. I think he misunderstands materialism sometimes and I don't agree with all of his conclusions but he also makes some really good points. It has changed the way I view science and medicine.

Have any of you read when "breathe become air"?

Do I need a linkedin?

No. Medical school is like HS. You'll fall into the proper clique soon enough.

I did join FB during med school at the urging of my trad classmates. It was quite a new experience for me. My fourth grade bf is now bald as a billiard ball and breeds dogs for a living. Just saying. :p

House of God is phenomenal.

A chance to Cut is a Chance to Cure if you can find it.

Twilight.

(kidding).

We are trying to decide how to move. I don't think our stuff is worth enough to rent a moving truck or a pod (we are moving from Utah to Florida). That said, selling everything and then buying everything again seems like a real hassle and could also be expensive. We are thinking about buying a cargo trailer, loading it up, moving and then selling it.

I'm curious what others are planning on doing/did. Any suggestions?

I drive a mini. I'm basically getting rid of everything. and going to drive 10 hours with an inability to see out my car windows.

Yeah, this is why we went with a realtor. Sent her Zillow listings I'd seen before and she was able to check and let me know those had been rented ages ago.

Just set my official resignation date for both jobs. Wew, that feels weird...but oh so good.

Reactions: 4 users
Just landed our apartment! It is a short walk from the medical school. We didn't pick it for the neighborhood, but for the commute and proximity to the gym. I'm relieved to have a place to land. :)

Re: books -- I'm currently reading the sci-fi classic Nueromancer. Medically oriented, I enjoyed "The Real Doctor Will See You Shortly" about a doctor's intern year and "The Healing of America" about health systems around the world. An all time favorite for me is "Blindspots" about how people with the best of intentions can end up doing highly unethical things. Blindspots has been deeply influential for me and has affected how I have attempted to approach many situations in life.

I'm staying put in the exact same apartment I've been in for the past 3 years! I was bummed at first because I wanted the excitement of a new living space but I have to say, I'm pretty glad I'm not packing or hauling my stuff around right now!

As for books, I'm getting into graphic novels. I read Fun Home recently and just finished Persepolis. Liked them both a lot!

When does everyone start school? And is anyone doing a summer (pre-orientation) program at their school?