*****2016-2017 Official IMG General Surgery Interview Invites/Rejections Thread*****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are your thoughts on taking that prelim position? I've heard nothing but horror stories surrounding prelims matching to PGY-2 the next year
Hard to explain. I have quite a career here, YOG 2007. I have put my entire life and family on stand by to pursue this dream. I am still waiting the reply of some old colleague who are chiefs and PDS in the US.. when I realize everything I have sacrificied to come this far, it turns out that accepting a prelim sounds not like be gambling after all...

Members don't see this ad.

Interviews:
Brookdale University hospital and Medical Center (Categorical) - 11/15
University of New Mexico (Categorical) - 12/1

Rejects:
Columbia Presbyterian (10/4)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes VCorp, that is for step 2 CK I have seen >240 and >235. The average US step 2CK is 240, in my opinion if you are scoring around 210 don't take it because once you take it and you end up with a low score there is nothing you can do to fix it. You always have a choice to do a year of research or a graduate degree and apply with a better resume with higher scores.

Interviews:

Rejects:
Congratulations
When did you recieve the invitation ??

Yes VCorp, that is for step 2 CK I have seen >240 and >235. The average US step 2CK is 240, in my opinion if you are scoring around 210 don't take it because once you take it and you end up with a low score there is nothing you can do to fix it. You always have a choice to do a year of research or a graduate degree and apply with a better resume with higher scores.

:(. I already missed the match last year because I was struggling with CK. I feel like I have to take it this Friday and just hope for the best.

Interviews:

Rejects:

If you don't mind me asking, what are your scores and are you fmg or us-img?

VCorp in that case try to focus on your time management. The material is not difficult but the questions are long try to take a few full length exams containing questions that you have not seen before. This will help you, I promise.
Good luck
I hope you do well .

According to this website if you have a 70% on UW you should end up with a 250 if you get through all the questions;
https://usmle-score-correlation.blogspot.com

Rejection: Memorial University Medical Center/Mercer University School of Medicine - Savannah

VCorp in that case try to focus on your time management. The material is not difficult but the questions are long try to take a few full length exams containing questions that you have not seen before. This will help you, I promise.
Good luck
I hope you do well .

According to this website if you have a 70% on UW you should end up with a 250 if you get through all the questions;
https://usmle-score-correlation.blogspot.com

Yeah, I agree on the time mgmt part. On UWSA I didn't answer 25 questions since I didn't have time to answer them.
Rejection: Memorial University Medical Center/Mercer University School of Medicine - Savannah

Disappointed. I just got the rejection email from them as well. I wonder why. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
10/13- Upenn prelim
10/13- Waterbury hosp , CT

Reactions: 1 users
same here rejection at TJUH and University of Toledo :(

Rejection from TJUH.
No answer from Toledo. Maybe a silent rejection ? Actually, I have no idea how this whole selection process works...

Rejection from TJUH.
No answer from Toledo. Maybe a silent rejection ? Actually, I have no idea how this whole selection process works...

No response is better than a rejection response. If someone cancels an interview, you're still in the pool of applicants to call up.

I got nothing today.... Seems that programs started sending rejections in waves

Hello everyone, I wish best of luck to all of us. I graduated from med school in 2009, then went on to finish general surgery residency in turkey. I got my ECFMG certificate last year. My scores are pretty low when I compare with all of the scores written here (step 1 205, step 2 ck 223) I have applied to 69 programs, but I didn't receive any interview invitations or rejections yet. I called the ERAS yesterday to check if everything was ok with the application. They said all the documents went through. I am not sure if I have to worry yet. Do you think I can do anything extra?

I am officially panicking now. I thought with my board scores and all the work I have put into additional graduate degrees and research I should have received at least a few interviews. Any ideas people?

250/236/CS passed/ECFMG certified/MPH/ YOG 2014 multiple publications and abstract submissions
Applied to 180 programs
Rejections:
1. University of South Dakota 9/29/16
2. Columbia University 10/5/16
3. MedStar Union Memorial 10/7/16
4. Marshal University 10/11/2016
5. Tulane University 10/16/2016

I am officially panicking now. I thought with my board scores and all the work I have put into additional graduate degrees and research I should have received at least a few interviews. Any ideas people?

250/236/CS passed/ECFMG certified/MPH/ YOG 2014 multiple publications and abstract submissions
Applied to 180 programs
Rejections:

I Will wait two more weeks, then maybe give up and try IM next year... I am confident I did my best and for now that is nothing I can do about it...

Hi , I am new to this forum. M a final year Gen Surgery resident in India. 236/241/CS pass/Ecfmg certified 2015/ 2 month observership/ YOG 2011/ Multiple publications. No invite yet. 3 rejections. One of my seniors from my med school ,who also did a surgery residency in India first, matched into a categorical PGY2 spot last year at a community program in New York. By his experience, he received only 1 invite for a prelim spot by this time in October,2014 and most of his calls came in late October or November( total 7). So, let's hope for the best.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi , I am new to this forum. M a final year Gen Surgery resident in India. 236/241/CS pass/Ecfmg certified 2015/ 2 month observership/ YOG 2011/ Multiple publications. No invite yet. 3 rejections. One of my seniors from my med school ,who also did a surgery residency in India first, matched into a categorical PGY2 spot last year at a community program in New York. By his experience, he received only 1 invite for a prelim spot by this time in October,2014 and most of his calls came in late October or November( total 7). So, let's hope for the best.
Thanks, Thats was reassuring. Hope things will go fine for us.

Reactions: 2 users
OncoSurg I think I am going to go for another specialty too if this doesn't work out.

I feel good about this coming week... Let's get those interviews!
Strangely, I have good feelings about this week too! On the other side, if nothing shows up....

Reactions: 3 users
Hi, I check the forum from time to time but never had a chance to write before, so many excellent candidates here. I also applied very broadly to general surgery programs (cat+prelim) this year. I did 2 years of cardiovascular residency back home (YOG 2012) and now work as a post-doc. Step 1 245, Step 2 CK 230, CS & Step 3 passed, all first attempt. I have 1 publication, 2 more submitted last month and multiple posters. All I receive is rejections so far, I copied the list below. Wish the best of luck to all of us :)

Florida Hospital Medical Center Program
Memorial Health-University Medical Center/Mercer University School of Medicine (Savannah) Program
Iowa Medical Education Collaborative Program
Tulane University Program
Union Memorial Hospital Program
New York Presbyterian Hospital (Columbia Campus) Program
Thomas Jefferson University Program
PinnacleHealth Hospitals Program
University of South Dakota School of Medicine Program
Marshall University School of Medicine Program

Rejections:
- Columbia NYP
- Thomas Jefferson
- Tulane
- Florida Hospital

Applied to 180 programs
Rejections:
6. Florida Hospital 10/17/2016

FMG need Visa/ 266/276/CS passed/ECFMG certified/MRCSEd/4month USCE /YOG 2014/ 2 publications, poster presentations
Applied to 182 programs
Rejections:
5. Florida Hospital 10/17/2016
6. Mountin view hospital program 10/9/2016
7. St Elizabeth Hospital program 10/10/2016
8. Thomass Jeffreson Medical Center 10/12/2016

Me too I got florida rejection today. It seems that they really dont consider FMGs

Last edited:
ACS Clinical Congress is happening right now (Oct 16th to 20th), perhaps PDs are taking a little break from offering interviews?

No interview invites yet. I got the first rejection from university of Chicago

Rejection. UChicago.

Applied to 180 programs
Rejections:
6. Chicago Univeristy 10/18/2016

Quiet tuesday for the main thread too. Hope we're not missing anything today... These last two weeks of October are really important.

Q: How important it is having research experience when applying general surgery residency program?
Hi, I just got accepted into a medical school, and will be starting in next year August. Currently, I am enrolled in a master program and doing some pre-clinical research. I don't know if I should continue my master program or should withdraw to save some money for med school, and I just want some second opinions from you who might have similar experience.

The master program that I am enrolled in is 2-yr program and I am a second year student, so I have at least one year of research experience. I have been studying osteosarcoma. I wrote a review paper and thesis proposal and presented it. I have talked to my research mentor and the publication of my work is not guaranteed, so I don't know if it is worth of finishing my program. So here is my question. Do they consider the research experience without publication as well? If so, is my one year research experience enough?

Thank you.