*****2016-2017 Official IMG General Surgery Interview Invites/Rejections Thread*****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There's a silver lining here... Although we are getting rejected, at least we are ALL getting rejected. I realize it's a small sample size of individuals posting, but at least this means that programs simply just don't take IMG's, rather than some of us getting invited and others not. There are some insane scores and backgrounds here that would rival any AMG... I think we're going to find post-match that this year was hyper competitive, beating growing trends of previous years.

How many people are going to go to the Providence Park Prelim interview?

I am still deciding if I will interview at Providence Park. Probably Yes.
I thought I had a chance to interview at Brookdale or Bronx, but this hasn't proved to be true so far.... Still, I have a few (very few actually!) places where I
think I may have a chance (or not....)

Members don't see this ad.

rejection Santa barbara cottage hospital surgery 10/18 :(
Interview Kendall regional internal medicine 10/18 off topic I know...

Reactions: 1 user
Rejection Georgetown University (cat)
They are still processing prelim applications...

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a rejection, too.
They said "We are still reviewing applications for a potential undesignated preliminary spot. If you have applied to our preliminary program, we will contact you separately once we determine if the spot will be filled for the 2017-18 academic year." So I already added this one as a rejection to both cat+prelim.

Been a quiet week for me so far. Hoping for some news, any news today.

Unsettling quiet actually.

Best hope is that all the surgeons will come back from the ACS Clinical Congress in DC by the 21st and start hacking away at the application stacks again.

I am still deciding if I will interview at Providence Park. Probably Yes.
I thought I had a chance to interview at Brookdale or Bronx, but this hasn't proved to be true so far.... Still, I have a few (very few actually!) places where I
think I may have a chance (or not....)
I also got interview from Providence Park. What do you mean by "I am still deciding if I will interview at Providence Park."? I don't know about the program so much. Is the program really bad? or Is the place really dangerous to live in? Please tell me.

It's a Prelim position. They do not take IMG's for categorical unless they've done a prelim year. The problem with prelim positions is that once you complete the year, you have to match again to a PGY-2 position, which are very hard to come by. I know a lot of people who have gone prelim, didn't match, did a second prelim, didn't match, and are now pursuing a different career path. Prelim is risky.
I understand. Thank you so much. I misunderstood that Providence program was really bad. But it isn't.
Yeah, as you said, preliminary position is really risky.

I think as an IMG we don't have an option if we are really serious about pursuing a surgery residency in the US. It is very rare for an IMG IMG to be offered a categorical position straight away no matter how good your CV. Most of the people have to take the prelim route which has it's inherent risks and struggles. Most of these prelim spots are nothing more than cheap labour for programs. But , I personally know 4 people who did land categorical spots after doing 1-2 year of prelim. I think, your performance during your prelim is as important as luck. On the flip side, I also know 2 people who didn't get a categorical spot after 2 yrs of prelim. At the end of the day, it's a calculated risk which any surgery aspirant has to take.

I think as an IMG we don't have an option if we are really serious about pursuing a surgery residency in the US. It is very rare for an IMG IMG to be offered a categorical position straight away no matter how good your CV. Most of the people have to take the prelim route which has it's inherent risks and struggles. Most of these prelim spots are nothing more than cheap labour for programs. But , I personally know 4 people who did land categorical spots after doing 1-2 year of prelim. I think, your performance during your prelim is as important as luck. On the flip side, I also know 2 people who didn't get a categorical spot after 2 yrs of prelim. At the end of the day, it's a calculated risk which any surgery aspirant has to take.

Carribean IMGs from the top 4 can land a categorical position with 2 years of clinical experience but it is still very hard with stellar board scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
No IVs, No rejections... Silence. Thank God this is coming to an end...

In 2015 match, I went to an interview at Providence actually. I would be happy to share my observations about the hospital, if anyone is interested.

How many programs did you apply to? You've heard nothing?!
I mean.. today!
Applied to 103 programs
So far:
Interview
1. St. John Providence Park
Rejections:
1. Columbia NYP
2. Thomas Jefferson
3. UCHICAGO
4. Tulane
5. Georgetown

In 2015 match, I went to an interview at Providence actually. I would be happy to share my observations about the hospital, if anyone is interested.
I would like to know about the program, questions at interview, and the place Novi.

Rejection Northwestern
Rejection St Joseph Mercy - Ann Arbor
I did one of my Observships in the same hospital of Northwestren and i got a rejection. It Seems that they are very clear in not accepting IMGs.

Ross University 2016 grad.
Interviews:
Marshall
Spartanburg

No Thank yous:
Union Memorial
St. Joseph (Denver)
Mercer
Florida Hosp.
U of Chicago
U of Arizona (Tuscon)
Northwestern (Cat.)
U of Tennessee (Cat.)

Last edited:
Ross University 2016 grad.
Interviews:
Marshall
Spartanburg

No Thank yous:
Union Memorial
St. Joseph (Denver)
Mercer
Florida Hosp.
U of Chicago
U of Arizona (Tuscon)
Northwestern (Cat.)

Hey CutEmUp, congrats on the interview offers! Do you mind posting your credentials?

I didn't match to Providence obviously and personally I didn't like the hospital very much (didn't apply to them this year) but I'll try to be as objective as possible, It was almost 2 years ago so I might not remember everything, sorry about that. They first started with a presentation of the program. They took pride on the volume of the cases and resident's publications (but seems like there's one resident published most of them, as a first author I mean). Residents were friendly in general and yes, there're many IMGs in this program. If I remember correctly, the year I went there were 4 prelims and one guy (AMG) decided to go to IM instead and 3 girls (all IMG) were competing for one categorical spot. I didn't have a chance to go resident's dinner the night before but while talking with PD, he told me that they can train anyone but he especially wants someone who can get along with the rest of the team (so resident dinner is important and you may squeeze into your talk how good of a team player you're). I was interviewed by PD, an associate prof and the chief resident. They asked me generic questions like "tell me about yourself, why surgery etc." PD also asked me questions about what kind of surgical experience I have, the operations I did during residency and pointed out specific words from my PS and wanted me to explain them. To be honest, at that time I thought he's not the most friendly person. I think their new hospital (at Novi) is really good as they say but I didn't go see it (it's couple of hour away from their main hospital). The interview with the chief resident was very interesting (an IMG), all he asked me questions about J-1 (he came with an H-1 but he told me the program are not gonna sponsor H-1 s anymore). I keep on hearing J-1 talks from but it's more depressing to hear from an IMG in the system. Overall, being an IMG we don't have much choices but I think we should somehow like the program and the hospital :) This hospital is in a small city, seems like there's not much to do (although an intern probably won't have time). Maybe I feel this way because it was freezing cold in January and everything looked dark and gloomy. Also In 2014, because my ECFMG certificate came at December so I applied to programs in December and got an interview from Providence for January so seems like they still keep on sending invites even this late. Hope that helps, and not very long and confusing :))

Hey CutEmUp, congrats on the interview offers! Do you mind posting your credentials?

Thank you. Ross 2016 grad. Step 1/2/CS: 226/248/First time pass. 2 posters, 1 publication, attended several conferences.

Thank you. Ross 2016 grad. Step 1/2/CS: 226/248/First time pass. 2 posters, 1 publication, attended several conferences.
What do you think contributed most to your getting interviews?

Univ of Illinois/MGH Skype interview for prelim spot.

Any U.S. IMGs here? How is it looking out there for you all?

So I am a USIMG who applied early in the season at around 155 surgery programs, got two acknowledgments, 11 rejections, and 1 IV (at UTMB). I also wanted to apply to FM (I'd be very happy in either field for very different reasons, but surgery is and always will be my passion), so I applied to 74 FM programs as well and have received a quick 7 rejections. Both my Steps were in the low 240s first attempt, CS pass first attempt, 3 LORs in surgery, 2 of which are very strong, one written by a US chair who is also my mentor (whose program I am targeting and haven't heard from yet).
For some reason I haven't been stressing too much, kept telling myself that I just wanted a chance in the form of an interview, and each interview would be a chance for me to show the program that I am what they are looking for. I am hopeful, but I don't know because November is almost upon us.

Should I send emails to programs I have ties to, particularly my mentor's?

So I am a USIMG who applied early in the season at around 155 surgery programs, got two acknowledgments, 11 rejections, and 1 IV (at UTMB). I also wanted to apply to FM (I'd be very happy in either field for very different reasons, but surgery is and always will be my passion), so I applied to 74 FM programs as well and have received a quick 7 rejections. Both my Steps were in the low 240s first attempt, CS pass first attempt, 3 LORs in surgery, 2 of which are very strong, one written by a US chair who is also my mentor (whose program I am targeting and haven't heard from yet).
For some reason I haven't been stressing too much, kept telling myself that I just wanted a chance in the form of an interview, and each interview would be a chance for me to show the program that I am what they are looking for. I am hopeful, but I don't know because November is almost upon us.

Should I send emails to programs I have ties to, particularly my mentor's?

Hello and first of all I wish you a good luck, hope you will get more IV's and succesfully match!
What I want to ask is, what actually people send to programs in their emails? What do they ask for? Let's say you have ties with 5 programs ( For example you have done 5 electives at that institutions and you have ties with them, as minimum you know them) and your hear nothing yet from them (IV's). what are you supposed to email them at this moment? Thank you!

250/236/CS passed/ECFMG certified/MPH/ YOG 2014 multiple publications and abstract submissions
Applied to 180 programs
Rejections:
1. University of South Dakota 9/29/16
2. Columbia University 10/5/16
3. MedStar Union Memorial 10/7/16
4. Marshal University 10/11/16
5. Tulane University 10/16/16
6. Florida Hospital 10/17/16
7. Chicago Univeristy 10/18/16
8. St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor 10/20/16
9. McGaw Med Ctr 10/20/16

University of Texas RGV (DHR) Program Rejection.

Texas RGV (DHR) Program Surgery-
Rejection

Michigan State University preliminary interview 10/21

Reactions: 7 users
Hello All,

All the best for all of us.
I have received 9 IVs till now
Cleveland Clinic: Prelims
Johns Hopkins: Prelims
UT San Antonio: Cat
UTMB Galveston: Cat
U Toledo: Cat
St Mary's Waterbury: Cat
Abington Memorial: Prelims
UIC-MGH: Prelims
UT RGV: Cat

Rejections:
U Chicago
Florida Hospital
UT Chattanooga
Georgetown Uni

Reactions: 1 users
Hello All,

Rejections:
U Chicago
Florida Hospital
UT Chattanooga
Georgetown Uni

Hey Gen Surg 007, have you heard from UTRGV after you chose an interview date on the scheduler?

Last edited:
Hello All,

Rejections:
U Chicago
Florida Hospital
UT Chattanooga
Georgetown Uni
Congratulations for the great interviews. Hope f or more for you and all of us.
But seriously are you an AMG ???

@blahblah56: I received a PDF with details about interviews in different slots. I am thinking about calling them in the first week of November just to be sure.
@ultrunique : I am a non-US IMG.

@blahblah56: I received a PDF with details about interviews in different slots. I am thinking about calling them in the first week of November just to be sure.
@ultrunique : I am a non-US IMG.

Yeah I got the same pdf initially, but no further communication from them since about confirmation or hotel information

Hello All,

Rejections:
U Chicago
Florida Hospital
UT Chattanooga
Georgetown Uni

Congratulations, can you confirm when you recieved the invitation for hopkins and abington please. Because those are not listed on the main thread. Thank you