[2016-2017] Official Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yup, everyone is holding on to whatever they have. I canceled one a couple days ago, and I have only received scattered rejections here and there over past 3 weeks. I talked some sense into a fellow EM applicant who cancelled a couple as well. Unfortunately, I have run at least through two people in my interviews who are literally at their 10th interview with 10 more to go, many at places they have no intention to move to (they say that themselves!). Funny thing is these are students from a school whose PD is very vocal in AliEM about applying to fewer schools and only interviewing at 12 places.

I've had a similar experience talking to fellow applicants. Out of the 10 ppl I interviewed with today at least half were taking 18+ interviews.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I've had a similar experience talking to fellow applicants. Out of the 10 ppl I interviewed with today at least half were taking 18+ interviews.

I don't get it! Do other folks have endless energy, funds, and time off from school? I've only done a handful of interviews so far and I'm (a) exhausted (b) so so poor and (c) maxed out on my time off for this rotation.

If people really are hoarding more interviews this year than in years past (hard to say if that's the case), can we expect to see a few more programs go unfilled after the match than in years past? Or is that flawed logic?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't get it! Do other folks have endless energy, funds, and time off from school? I've only done a handful of interviews so far and I'm (a) exhausted (b) so so poor and (c) maxed out on my time off for this rotation.

If people really are hoarding more interviews this year than in years past (hard to say if that's the case), can we expect to see a few more programs go unfilled after the match than in years past? Or is that flawed logic?

Theoretically, yes. More hoarding will lead to more unfilled positions. BUT:

1) I don't think it's actually that much different than previous years. I know a bunch of people that went on 18 interviews last year. One kid actually went on 31 (he matched to his #2, too. Jesus, amirite?).
2) I think these programs are very good at interviewing a wide of range of applicants. Read: these programs are good at having safety interviewees.

Hold strong, team.

Reactions: 2 users
Are there any threads with feedback about the interview experience?

Theoretically, yes. More hoarding will lead to more unfilled positions. BUT:

1) I don't think it's actually that much different than previous years. I know a bunch of people that went on 18 interviews last year. One kid actually went on 31 (he matched to his #2, too. Jesus, amirite?).
2) I think these programs are very good at interviewing a wide of range of applicants. Read: these programs are good at having safety interviewees.

Hold strong, team.

I wear my Safety Interviewee badge with pride, haha.

I think you're probably right about this year being similar to years past, though I will definitely be curious to see this year's charting outcomes -- hopefully as a spectator and not an anxious repeat participant!

accidentally double booked an interview
was too excited to hear from the program and now it is time for the awkward call back =(

Last edited:
I am expecting a brexit-style shocker in mid tier program fill rates this year...personally my top ranks so far are places that invited me spontaneously and did so before December...places that I had to call or email just leave a bad taste that extends to the interview day...a job is a job and to each their own but I think interest should be reciprocal and reflected in your rank list to hopefully send a message and correct the system for future applicants

Reactions: 1 user
I am expecting a brexit-style shocker in mid tier program fill rates this year...personally my top ranks so far are places that invited me spontaneously and did so before December...places that I had to call or email just leave a bad taste that extends to the interview day...a job is a job and to each their own but I think interest should be reciprocal and reflected in your rank list to hopefully send a message and correct the system for future applicants
You and the kid on Reddit are so angry about not getting the first round of invites at programs.

+Brooklyn Hospital Center: interviews every Friday starting 12/02 - 1/27

every invite so far has been before December no??

Reactions: 6 users
Yeah! How dare programs try to recruit the best candidates possible! Only applicants can have reaches and safeties! :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Overall, I think people are overanalyzing. 1 person matches to 1 residency, I honestly dropped one from 12 to 11 based on the fact that I couldn't afford the 12th. If you feel good about programs <10, you should be fine. Most of my experience around the country is that most programs have great training and residents (great to be an EM applicant.)

Last edited:
What Reddit kid? Link please. Tried to search and came up empty.
He flipped out and deleted his account after a long rant about how he was going to take a research year and apply to a surgical specialty 'where numbers actually matter'.

This was all after posting weekly about how great his numbers were and how he wasn't going to take any program's 'sloppy seconds'. Meaning non-first round invites.

He flipped out and deleted his account after a long rant about how he was going to take a research year and apply to a surgical specialty 'where numbers actually matter'.

This was all after posting weekly about how great his numbers were and how he wasn't going to take any program's 'sloppy seconds'. Meaning non-first round invites.

Wow. Now we know why he wasn't getting any invites.

I have in my hands free time to indulge on some reddit drama. Link?

/

Last edited:

I won't say that it was not a bit amusing at first, but I don't think re-posting this is useful to anyone. Clearly he kind of lost it when things didn't go his way, but continuing to mock a colleague is messed up. He probably realized he over-reacted once things started to get better and deleted his account, and re-posting this for others' amusement is disrespectful. It's easy to forget we are all students going through the same thing when all we have is a little picture or studpid username, but I'd be so pissed off if people pulled this kind of thing on me while going through some bad times and he probably does visit this site.

Looking to swap interviews.
UC Irvine / UCI: Currently scheduled for 1/3/17, would like to switch to 12/20 or 12/21.
Georgetown: Currently scheduled 1/4/17, would like to switch to 1/10/17 or 12/14/16

interestingly enough I came off 2 waitlists (arkansas and a new york program) and received 2 second round interview invites from Henry Ford (no dates) and UC Irvine (2 December dates open as of 8pm central). really stoked as I have been only able to schedule 14 interviews thus far

all happened on thanksgiving weekend ! and only the first half is over =)

(before anyone gets mad I was told to schedule ~18 iinterviews because my step scores are lower (210s step 1/ 220s step 2)

interestingly enough I came off 2 waitlists (arkansas and a new york program) and received 2 second round interview invites from Henry Ford (no dates) and UC Irvine (2 December dates open as of 8pm central). really stoked as I have been only able to schedule 14 interviews thus far

Lol how many interviews do you think you're supposed to go on?

(And congrats)

(before anyone gets mad I was told to schedule ~18 iinterviews because my step scores are lower (210s step 1/ 220s step 2)

been waiting for HF too. No luck. Congrats!

Lol how many interviews do you think you're supposed to go on?

(And congrats)
Im hoping 18 but 20 would be better. My step scores are lower (210s s1 and 220s s2 and Pass on all 3 EM rotations) so Im tryna get that EM residency spot. My PD said im on the right track by interviewing close to 20

4 interviews in like 30 minutes on a Saturday? Damn dude, congrats. I'm on cloud nine for you.

Im hoping 18 but 20 would be better. My step scores are lower (210s s1 and 220s s2 and Pass on all 3 EM rotations) so Im tryna get that EM residency spot. My PD said im on the right track by interviewing close to 20

20? That's brutal.

Sounds like you'll hit the mark over these next couple weeks.

Even with those stats you listed, with 14 interviews your ~99% likely to match.

You're gonna make it bro.

4 interviews in like 30 minutes on a Saturday? Damn dude, congrats. I'm on cloud nine for you.

it was actually all saturday (over 10ish hours) just thought Id update anyone who still is looking for hope =)

20? That's brutal.

Sounds like you'll hit the mark over these next couple weeks.

Even with those stats you listed, with 14 interviews your ~99% likely to match.

You're gonna make it bro.

I can talk my way into being liked at interviews well so statistically I should pan out into a spot whether its a program I rank 1 or 18. put some RESPEK on my name i might be your under-qualified colleague next year.

I can talk my way into being liked at interviews well so statistically I should pan out into a spot whether its a program I rank 1 or 18. put some RESPEK on my name i might be your under-qualified colleague next year.
Mad RESPEK bro

Im hoping 18 but 20 would be better. My step scores are lower (210s s1 and 220s s2 and Pass on all 3 EM rotations) so Im trying get that EM residency spot. My PD said im on the right track by interviewing close to 20
I think the 12 ranks = 96% chance of matching holds true even for lower step scores. You clearly have some good positive things in your application, is your PD seriously telling you to go on 20? in any case, good luck.

I think the 12 ranks = 96% chance of matching holds true even for lower step scores. You clearly have some good positive things in your application, is your PD seriously telling you to go on 20? in any case, good luck.
i neglected to inform you all that I have failed step 2 CS and a clinical core twice.

i neglected to inform you all that I have failed step 2 CS and a clinical core twice.

But if you are still getting that many interviews with all those aspects of your application, doesn't it mean you don't have to worry about those limiting you anymore? What is your advisors reasoning for going on that many interviews? Congrats on everything!

But if you are still getting that many interviews with all those aspects of your application, doesn't it mean you don't have to worry about those limiting you anymore? What is your advisors reasoning for going on that many interviews? Congrats on everything!

I think the logic is that many programs still use objective methods to rank students and place a greater emphasis on that (highest scores get ranked high unless they aren't incredibly poor at interviewing) due to the fact that every program wants their residents to have a 100% board pass rate and lower scores correlate to more fails . Or at least that's what I am told.

I think the logic is that many programs still use objective methods to rank students and place a greater emphasis on that (highest scores get ranked high unless they aren't incredibly poor at interviewing) due to the fact that every program wants their residents to have a 100% board pass rate and lower scores correlate to more fails . Or at least that's what I am told.
Yeah, the programs use that phrase about lower scores correlate to more fails. The ridiculous thing is it's usually the higher tier programs that use it to justify their 230 step 1 screening cut off, which doesn't really make sense. Someone who scores a 225 on step 1 isn't going to fail any board exam, ever.

This makes no sense. Take a look at charting outcomes, in 2016 there were 657 US seniors who ranked 13 or more programs, exactly THREE of them went unmatched. Once you have >12 ranks, going on more interviews will not substantially increase your chance of matching, regardless of whatever red flags you have.

This makes no sense. Take a look at charting outcomes, in 2016 there were 657 US seniors who ranked 13 or more programs, exactly THREE of them went unmatched. Once you have >12 ranks, going on more interviews will not substantially increase your chance of matching, regardless of whatever red flags you have.

charting the outcomes also says 5.9% of US seniors applying EM last year did not match soooo chart that outcome

charting the outcomes also says 5.9% of US seniors applying EM last year did not match soooo chart that outcome

Why do you think that they didn't match? Because they had no interviews.

There were 124 US Allopathic seniors who did not match last year.
Chart EM-2 shows 99 of those had less than 8 or less ranks. Only 3 people with more than 12 ranks didn't match and when that few people didn't match, it's noise. Those people clearly had some serious stuff going on. Likely professionalism.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Yes.... There were a total of 124 unmatched US seniors in 2016. 121 of them went on <13 interviews.

Charting the outcomes does not guarantee accuracy in fact, if only medical school had a reading class requirement, you can read the fine print noting all statistics are approximate and may not reflect 100% accuracy.

Think we got a troll here.

Honest question, you didn't? Or, you know of a medical program that doesn't do it? Because, I had one (all those years ago), and I thought it was standard.
My medical school doesn't have a stats class integrated into its curriculum, no. We had to take statistics to get into medical school though.