[2016-2017] Official Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been on the wait list for a month. Not a peep.
I haven't gotten off any waitlists either. Things will move eventually.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just cancelled an interview in TX. Hopefully that causes a bit of waitlist movement for someone down the line.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Peeps who have gotten interviews at UCSD or/and Loma Linda, could you please check on your IB link to see how far interviews extend into and whether they are all on Tue/weds? Thanks a lot! :p

Does anyone who has interviewed at Aventura know what time the interview day starts?

Has anyone interviewed at kendall in Florida and know when the interview day ends?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey has anyone here interviewed at UC Riverside. They are a new program with their first match this cycle. Not much info out there on blogs. Anyone have any info they can share about the program? I have my interview with them coming up in a week.

hey has anyone here interviewed at UC Riverside. They are a new program with their first match this cycle. Not much info out there on blogs. Anyone have any info they can share about the program? I have my interview with them coming up in a week.

Hey! I actually loved it there; the PD has his stuff together and presents a GREAT outline and mission of the program. He makes a good case for 3 years vs. 4. Big emphasis on recruiting leaders to shape the program, focus on wellness and burnout prevention, and the hospital boasts an excellent patient population with very high volume and acuity as well. Peds, ultrasound are strong, and the hospital is lovely and a major part of it is new; older part of the building has been there over 100 years, supposedly, but it really looks great. Benefits are awesome, food is good, free Sbux and meals, lots of perks since it's HCA. Only drawback for me is I didn't dig the town of Riverside as much as others. Also, the international medicine scene isn't set up yet since it's a new program but I got the feeling that the PD would back you strongly in anything you wanted to accomplish in residency, he was a really impressive guy. BTW, pre-interview gathering entails generous appetizers & drinks at Marriott, very nice too!

Is that 2nd wave happing for anybody?

:boom:
haven't moved on a single wait list yet lol

Arg seriously those waitlists! I just want ONE more interview to make the magic number of 12... But I've only got rejections for the past month. Has there been any movement at all?! Is 11 ranks a good number to end the season with? One side of me tells me to chill but my neurotic side is kind of freaking out.

Arg seriously those waitlists! I just want ONE more interview to make the magic number of 12... But I've only got rejections for the past month. Has there been any movement at all?! Is 11 ranks a good number to end the season with? One side of me tells me to chill but my neurotic side is kind of freaking out.
Dude, you will do great, 11 is a great number, that's like in ninety- something percent chance of matching. Chill :) and just do great in the interviews you do have. Im doing 13, but easily blew off a couple by not being well prepared :/ , so more like 11. Good luck.

i am told military match tonight (occurring in 1 hour!) may unhinge the wait lists a bit as many hold spots until they match military and then cancel all interviews they held

congrats on those who match tonight !
:claps:

My original goal was 12 and I got 13. I actually ended up with cancelling 2 to put me at 11 and I'm totally fine with that. I just had my last interview this past week. I have no idea how I'm gonna decide between my top 3-4.

i am told military match tonight (occurring in 1 hour!) may unhinge the wait lists a bit as many hold spots until they match military and then cancel all interviews they held

congrats on those who match tonight !
:claps:

Military student here,

Probably won't have as much effect as you think. A large portion of military med students are DO's and apply mainly to AOA residencies. Plus the Army and Navy don't give out civilian deferments for EM so those students don't even apply through ERAS. Sorry to be a downer.

Military student here,

Probably won't have as much effect as you think. A large portion of military med students are DO's and apply mainly to AOA residencies. Plus the Army and Navy don't give out civilian deferments for EM so those students don't even apply through ERAS. Sorry to be a downer.

Probably some truth to this. Navy gave out deferments this year and required all applicants to apply via ERAS. About 45 students, 4 of which got civilian deferments yesterday. So probably around 40 students canceling a couple interviews each. Some more some less.

I did hear that the Army didn't give out any civilian deferments this year though.

Probably some truth to this. Navy gave out deferments this year and required all applicants to apply via ERAS. About 45 students, 4 of which got civilian deferments yesterday. So probably around 40 students canceling a couple interviews each. Some more some less.

I did hear that the Army didn't give out any civilian deferments this year though.

I stand corrected about the Navy. Good to know though.

Air Force had about 60 applicants, 14 of which (myself included) got deferments yesterday.

Last edited:
I have no idea how I'm gonna decide between my top 3-4.

Probably the best advice I can give you in forming your rank list is to not rank my number one, assuming you applied there and all. They're much more likely to scrape the bottom of the barrel for me then. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
+ Rochester... but no open dates available :shrug:

For those of you who applied and interviewed at cook county...if i failed my attempt (s) at the peripheral nerve activity should I even bother ranking them? I missed completely.

For those of you who applied and interviewed at cook county...if i failed my attempt (s) at the peripheral nerve activity should I even bother ranking them? I missed completely.

I did not interview there, but this topic has been discussed numerous times on here.

Rank ALL of your programs unless you're happier not matching at all. The ranking system favors the applicant.

I did not interview there, but this topic has been discussed numerous times on here.

Rank ALL of your programs unless you're happier not matching at all. The ranking system favors the applicant.
I just didn't know if I would even get ranked after messing up so bad. Its not that I don't think less of the program vs others

I just didn't know if I would even get ranked after messing up so bad. Its not that I don't think less of the program vs others

It doesn't matter if you botched it.

The idea is that there is zero downside for you to rank it. Assuming you dont match there, it doesn't impact your eventual match if they ranked you or not.

Unless you rather not go there vs going unmatched, rank it.

They had me do a peripheral nerve block based off the peripheral vein maps for guidance

They had you do that in EM? When I interviewed they all they had were your typical interviews and a tour... Was this a follow up task I some how missed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of you, Im sure, have been getting the question ' were you able to make it to the dinner last night?' from interviewers the following day. I have an interview coming up where I will not be able to the make the dinner due to time constraints. Is it looked down upon if we are not present at the dinner in terms of where a program ranks you? I didn't wish to have them think I am not interested.

I've been on waitlists for over 2 months now..... am I just unlucky and last on the waitlists or is there 0 movement

A lot of you, Im sure, have been getting the question ' were you able to make it to the dinner last night?' from interviewers the following day. I have an interview coming up where I will not be able to the make the dinner due to time constraints. Is it looked down upon if we are not present at the dinner in terms of where a program ranks you? I didn't wish to have them think I am not interested.
When I asked that question of interviewees, it was to gauge whether they got the chance to ask current residents the important questions about the program in an unguarded atmosphere, not to try to determine your level of interest.

Resident: "Hey, did you get to go to the dinner last night?"
6yearmedstud: "Unfortunately, my flight didn't get in until X:30 so I couldn't. Kind of bummed about it."
Resident: "No problem, glad you got in OK. Any questions you want to ask about how this place really is?"

That's it.

I've been on waitlists for over 2 months now..... am I just unlucky and last on the waitlists or is there 0 movement
It's likely zero movement. This has been stated to me by multiple coordinators.

I think most likely 0 movement...or I'm just as unlucky as you are