[2016-2017] Official Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else who interviewed 1/17 come down with a terrible case of gastroenteritis? Not naming where I interviewed as food poisoning from the lunch is #2 on my differential to caught something from the little satans I am seeing this week in the peds ED

Members don't see this ad.

There is a horrible stomach bug going around New England right now. Doubt it was the food...

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know when a good time is to start sending out "You're my #1" emails? A classmate (not applying to EM) told me it should be done soon before they finalize their rank list... ??

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when a good time is to start sending out "You're my #1" emails? A classmate (not applying to EM) told me it should be done soon before they finalize their rank list... ??

Yeah I would send them out in the next week. Some placed 'finalize' the list in January. We do ours in the middle of February sometime.

Lol that was fast. I was expecting a Skype invite. Eh their loss, been done with interviews anyway

Lol that was fast. I was expecting a Skype invite. Eh their loss, been done with interviews anyway
B4p9uE4CQAET5_M.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No. However I applied to the Wayne/Henry combined thing. I did receive 'love notes' from Truman (Kansas) and mclaren Oakland today however

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No. However I applied to the Wayne/Henry combined thing. I did receive 'love notes' from Truman (Kansas) and mclaren Oakland today however

I interviewed at one of those places and a friend of mine did the other. We didn't get the mclarend one unfortunately so they must be selective in their love notes at least !

I'm guessing the Truman 'love note' was something more personal than the "thank you for interviewing" email they sent a while back?

This is stressful

@jessk2015
It wasn't that personal. Pretty bland actually.

In accordance NRMP Match Policy “applicants and programs may express interest in each other, but statements implying a commitment are prohibited.”

Following your interview, the EM department is expressing interest in you as a candidate and will be including your name in the NRMP Match list.

Reactions: 1 users
@jessk2015

In accordance NRMP Match Policy “applicants and programs may express interest in each other, but statements implying a commitment are prohibited.”

Following your interview, the EM department is expressing interest in you as a candidate and will be including your name in the NRMP Match list.

Thanks! Sheesh, it kind of reads like if you didn't get the email, you won't be included in their match list? Is that crazy talk?

Now I'm a little sad.

Thanks! Sheesh, it kind of reads like if you didn't get the email, you won't be included in their match list? Is that crazy talk?

Now I'm a little sad.

I didn't get one either, who knows what the deal is.

@jessk2015

I received the same message earlier today.. not sure what to think of that. Although not really interested in the program. I was wondering if anyone knew or heard back from a thank you email/I like your program email to U Chicago??

I got a thank you for interviewing couple of weeks ago but didn't get the love note today from Truman. I'm kind of disappointed, I thought I interviewed well there and I thought I did well with the residents too.

Did anyone get anything from emails from Northwell? I'm thinking of placing it top of my list.

And this is why programs sending messages to applicants is becoming more and more rare...

People are spending hundreds of dollars out of their own pocket for these interviews. So yes it's disappointing when you don't get an email.

Completely agree. Emails help ensue confidence in ranking one program higher than another or confidence in knowing you have hope. Instead of posting things like 'Jesus, guys' which helps no one, you should contribute to see who received what emails rather than critique them. If this bares(bears?? Idk which one) no influence on your list then so be it. But don't comment criticisms for no ones benefit.

I believe it isn't helpful to track this information. Rank lists are designed to be made with only your considerations in mind. Whether or not I get an email from a place should have no bearing on my own preferences and adjusting my rank list because I didn't get an email from a program that somebody else told me emailed them is silly - the match algorithm encourages you ranking your more desirable programs higher than less desirable ones.

There is no "confidence." Post interview correspondences are inconsistent, non-binding, and discouraged for a reason. Getting a "we like you" email from a program does not mean that you'll match there if you rank them number 1, and the converse holds true as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Completely agree. Emails help ensue confidence in ranking one program higher than another or confidence in knowing you have hope. Instead of posting things like 'Jesus, guys' which helps no one, you should contribute to see who received what emails rather than critique them. If this bares(bears?? Idk which one) no influence on your list then so be it. But don't comment criticisms for no ones benefit.

No, you're wrong.

The only thing that these posts do is cause people to freak out when they don't receive these emails that we can't even verify exist or not. Emails should not impact your rank list at all. Zero. Changing your rank list because you get an email or don't get an email is the stupidest thing that you can do. Don't do it.

Reactions: 4 users

That's not how the Match works. Just rank the places you interviewed based on where you want to be. There is no gaming the Match by trying to align with programs. It is amazing that no matter how many times people say this, they myth of trying to game the system still persists.

Not changing my ROL based on love notes received or not received. But I reserve the right to be bummed about not receiving love notes from programs I like (and conversely, only receiving a love note from a program I am ranking dead last. Boo).

Reactions: 5 users

Regarding your bolded statement: This is completely incorrect and is a terribly misleading statement for anyone reading it.

The algorithm favors the applicant. Where a program ranks you on their list SHOULD NOT AFFECT YOUR RANK LIST.

The only reason to rank programs in any given order is because that is the order in which you would like to be accepted. Doing anything else only serves to increase your chance of matching at a program you like less.

Remember, if program X ranks you number 1 and you rank them number 1, you will match there. If program X ranks you number 1 and you rank program X number 20 and you don't match at any of your 19 other preferred programs... YOU STILL MATCH AT PROGRAM X.

It boggles my mind how people can have such a significant part of their life invested in a system but not take the time to actually understand how it works.

Reactions: 4 users
Regarding your bolded statement: This is completely incorrect and is a terribly misleading statement for anyone reading it.

The algorithm favors the applicant. Where a program ranks you on their list SHOULD NOT AFFECT YOUR RANK LIST.

The only reason to rank programs in any given order is because that is the order in which you would like to be accepted. Doing anything else only serves to increase your chance of matching at a program you like less.

Remember, if program X ranks you number 1 and you rank them number 1, you will match there. If program X ranks you number 1 and you rank program X number 20 and you don't match at any of your 19 other preferred programs... YOU STILL MATCH AT PROGRAM X.

It boggles my mind how people can have such a significant part of their life invested in a system but not take the time to actually understand how it works.

No need to sound condescending, we all know how the match works. Some people are having issues ranking their 5-12 choices- for me they pretty much weigh the same so every little information helps.

No need to sound condescending, we all know how the match works. Some people are having issues ranking their 5-12 choices- for me they pretty much weigh the same so every little information helps.
That was not condescending, at least from my view, and it seems clear that how the match works is NOT clear to some people. There is one inarguable point, though - these emails are nil. All of the angst is wasted emotion. They have no bearing. The ONLY salient element is the match.

What's done is done. How you've performed in med school, your stats, and interviews - all done. As my college roommate used to say, "it's all over but the crying". You'll ALL do fine.

That was not condescending, at least from my view, and it seems clear that how the match works is NOT clear to some people. There is one inarguable point, though - these emails are nil. All of the angst is wasted emotion. They have no bearing. The ONLY salient element is the match.

What's done is done. How you've performed in med school, your stats, and interviews - all done. As my college roommate used to say, "it's all over but the crying". You'll ALL do fine.
If these mean nothing then why would these programs go through the effort to intentionally send them to some applicants and not others. I get that they dont mean you will or wont match but some information of how the program will rank can be determined if many people who interviewed confirm or deny getting them. I'm also fully aware that trying to change your rank list based on these emails to increase your chance of matching is stupid. However, to me, knowing a program wants me there is just as important as location or cost of living. Thus getting, or more importantly not getting, a "love letter" could change my evaluation of the program and then my rank list.

If these mean nothing then why would these programs go through the effort to intentionally send them to some applicants and not others. I get that they dont mean you will or wont match but some information of how the program will rank can be determined if many people who interviewed confirm or deny getting them. I'm also fully aware that trying to change your rank list based on these emails to increase your chance of matching is stupid. However, to me, knowing a program wants me there is just as important as location or cost of living. Thus getting, or more importantly not getting, a "love letter" could change my evaluation of the program and then my rank list.

I must be misunderstanding you, because say that it's stupid use the emails to change your rank list, and then you imply that getting an email from a program is just as important as location or cost of living (and thus influences your rank list). Location or cost of living is something you'll live with for 3-4 years as a resident. Whether or not you were one of the top x number of people on the program's rank list is absolutely inconsequential if you match there and will have no bearing on your time there.

The program wants you or else they wouldn't have offered you an interview and subsequently rank you. It's sheer vanity to say that you don't want to be at a program that doesn't have you ranked in the their top x number of spots.

I must be misunderstanding you, because say that it's stupid use the emails to change your rank list, and then you imply that getting an email from a program is just as important as location or cost of living (and thus influences your rank list). Location or cost of living is something you'll live with for 3-4 years as a resident. Whether or not you were one of the top x number of people on the program's rank list is absolutely inconsequential if you match there and will have no bearing on your time there.

The program wants you or else they wouldn't have offered you an interview and subsequently rank you. It's sheer vanity to say that you don't want to be at a program that doesn't have you ranked in the their top x number of spots.
Yeah there is some ego involved. If I match to my #15 program, I'll be happy I matched but I will definitely be disappointed. I wouldn't be shocked if a program felt a similar way if applicant #150 walks in during orientation. In regards to how it should or shouldn't alter your rank list I guess it's about perspective. For example, program x sends a letter to the top half of its list and you don't get one. If you still really want to go to x then don't change your list because you think you won't match. However, if finding out youre not even in the top half of the list makes you wonder if maybe youre not as good of a fit as you thought and program y is basically equivalent and did send a similar email, I don't think it's unreasonable to go with y.

Again this is just another aspect of this process that lacks transparency and I don't see the harm in talking about who is sending them.

Completely agree. Emails help ensue confidence in ranking one program higher than another or confidence in knowing you have hope...
What about postcards? #askingforafriend.

I think what @doggydog and others are seeing is that questions of who got emails/calls/etc. from where produce spikes in anxiety, which certainly aren't productive. Of course, if people want to expose themselves to that, I guess it's their choice. I'd echo that it should have no influence on ROL decisions.

Guys. Whether or not they send you an email has nothing to do with "fit". It's numbers and games. Rank them by how you want them. Period.

believe absolutely nothing the programs and PDs tell you. it should influence you not a single bit. rank based on your feel and preference. that is all.

full disclosure: ex spouse was a PD of a program for a few years (not EM), ie, i know the games they play and why they play them

Not trying to nitpick. But Truman is in Missouri. Many people mistakenly assume when they hear about "Kansas City" it must be in Kansas. Although there is a Kansas City Kansas, Truman, as well as the Chiefs and Royals, are actually very much in MO.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

I was informed by a program that my NRMP # was not in ERAS. They made it sound like it could have become an issue? I just wanted to let you guys know to check.

I was informed by a program that my NRMP # was not in ERAS. They made it sound like it could have become an issue? I just wanted to let you guys know to check.
I had a program contact me too, gave me a heart attack!

Yeah, I have received some generic emails about putting in NRMP numbers and uploading step scores. Freaked me the hell out. I have downloaded my application a few times to verify...

PS: we just resubmit our scores on eras, right? That is all that needs to be done