2016-2017 SUNY - Buffalo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can you link the portal to me? Where on the portal did you find it?
Thanks! :) not having much luck locating it myself!

Members don't see this ad.

My financial aid info is available on UB portal. However it only shows loans. I applied for some of their internal scholarships, but haven't heard word back from them yet.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
Never mind, I found my aid!
I only have two federal loans totalling 40k a year

My financial aid info is available on UB portal. However it only shows loans. I applied for some of their internal scholarships, but haven't heard word back from them yet.

How soon were you able to log into your portal to see your financial aid? I already sent them my FAFSA when I was waitlisted so that they would have it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although I just checked the portal, and it still says I'm waitlisted... So I think I'm going to call admissions and confirm JUST in case....

Mine took a while to update I believe

Reactions: 1 user
Does your award/loans not also cover the full cost of attendance? I just checked mine and it does not...

Never mind, I found my aid!
I only have two federal loans totalling 40k a year

Same. Only two loans for fall and spring semester and it only totalled around 40k. I guess the grad plus loans is on us, in order to cover the rest of the expenses.

How soon were you able to log into your portal to see your financial aid? I already sent them my FAFSA when I was waitlisted so that they would have it.

I took a while to activate my UB account but I think my financial aid was available around 3 weeks after I was accepted.

Same. Only two loans for fall and spring semester and it only totalled around 40k. I guess the grad plus loans is on us, in order to cover the rest of the expenses.
I wonder if they are going to add anything else in to supplement that aid...my guess is no, but I have yet to receive an official financial aid email with an official award, so maybe they're still in the process of putting it together?

Interviewed 12/7. Waitlisted 12/8. Accepted 4/18. Stoked!

Reactions: 10 users
Does anyone know if they are planning to send out further information regarding the wait list, such as which third we may be in?

I wonder if they are going to add anything else in to supplement that aid...my guess is no, but I have yet to receive an official financial aid email with an official award, so maybe they're still in the process of putting it together?

Actually I contacted the FinAid Office earlier today and they told me they don't put in scholarships/grant awards you received from Buffalo until June after the class is closer to being finalized.

EDIT: To clarify, you can receive scholarships from Jacobs before June, but the folks at financial aid don't factor it into your overall package until June.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Actually I contacted the FinAid Office earlier today and they told me they don't put in scholarships/grant awards you received from Buffalo until June after the class is closer to being finalized.
Thanks for doing this!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the constant posting/questions, but how long did it take to receive your UB Person Number after your acceptance? I received an email with the terms & conditions, but the instructions said I should get another email with my UB Number BEFORE I pay the deposit (that's due in a week)... but, it's been two days and I haven't gotten it.

Sorry for the constant posting/questions, but how long did it take to receive your UB Person Number after your acceptance? I received an email with the terms & conditions, but the instructions said I should get another email with my UB Number BEFORE I pay the deposit (that's due in a week)... but, it's been two days and I haven't gotten it.

It took them ~6 days to get it to me!

Hi everyone, I’ll be an incoming dental student this fall. I recently signed a lease for a 2 bedroom/2 bath in Collegiate Village, and I'm looking for someone (preferably female) to share the apartment. It’s roughly 5 minutes away from school and has a shuttle to and from south campus and the area hospitals as well. I'm looking for a studious person to live with who appreciates having a quiet place to study, as well as enjoying whatever little free time we have together! If you're interested, please PM me. Thanks!

Accepted this morning after interviewing and being wait listed in October.

So very excited for UB!

Reactions: 8 users
Sure! I promise to do this in the next few days. I'm not very anonymous on here but I'll try to be as honest as possible about my experience. I really like going to UB for medical school, and I'm generally a more positive person who tries to complain less, but I can definitely write up pros and cons for me.

What are your thoughts on the graded curriculum? Does it make things more stressful?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Anyone know how many students get off of the waitlist?

Did anyone who was put on the waitlist in March hear back yet?

Last edited:
No, not yet. I became nervous about having my deposit in on time so I mailed a check instead of waiting for the online payment option.

In the email with the link to pay the deposit, there is also another link to log into GrAdMIT. If you log in, then go to the "status" tab, you will find your Person Number there.

In the email with the link to pay the deposit, there is also another link to log into GrAdMIT. If you log in, then go to the "status" tab, you will find your Person Number there.
We must have had differing instructions... I don't have the other link, and I'm supposed to be expecting another email concerning this but haven't received it yet.

We must have had differing instructions... I don't have the other link, and I'm supposed to be expecting another email concerning this but haven't received it yet.

Did you get the email titled "Confirm your Acceptance and Join our UB community!"? The one that has instructions on how to pay the deposit online? If so, that's odd that you would get a different version. On the bottom of that email, there is a box with "Login Information" written in it.

Did you get the email titled "Confirm your Acceptance and Join our UB community!"? The one that has instructions on how to pay the deposit online? If so, that's odd that you would get a different version. On the bottom of that email, there is a box with "Login Information" written in it.
No I never received this email... I thought you meant it was part of the first acceptance email

No I never received this email... I thought you meant it was part of the first acceptance email

Oh no, it's separate. I got that email two days after the initial acceptance email. I would double check your spam folder or deleted emails folder to see if maybe it's there, and if you can't find it then you should probably contact Mr. Rosso.

It took 6 days for me as well... Hopefully all my recent posts including this one can save someone else the stress of worrying about it :) got to me in time in case I really only wanted to pay online

Same! I was panicing because I wanted to pay online + I got an additional email saying that I didn't pay my deposit but I need to soon. I spoke to Mr. Rosso, and the "week" deadline to pay the deposit doesn't count until you get that second email with the appropriate information. However, if that second email doesnt arrive before the week is up, you should email and call them to let them know.

Finally accepted off the waitlist! Interviewed in September WL'd 10/15.

Reactions: 7 users
Finally accepted off the waitlist! Interviewed in September WL'd 10/15.
Congrats! Have you sent them any letter of intent/ interest? Or did you have any contact with the school in general while you were on the waitlist?

Other than the FAFSA, is there anything else that we need to do to get our financial package? Also, when are the packages sent out? TIA!

Congrats! Have you sent them any letter of intent/ interest? Or did you have any contact with the school in general while you were on the waitlist?
Nope. They have a ranked waitlist based off of a post-interview score you're given. Letters cannot change this score so they are essentially meaningless here. This is all from Mr. Rosso.

Hey Everyone! I found a 2 bedroom apartment in downtown Buffalo for $1300(.9miles from the new campus, and a 15min drive from the current ones, also close to transportation). It's above a coffee shop, has a fitness room (its not that great, but still gym shtuff), and laundry on every floor. If you're interested in being roommates, lemmme know!

Hey Everyone! I found a 2 bedroom apartment in downtown Buffalo for $1300(.9miles from the new campus, and a 15min drive from the current ones, also close to transportation). It's above a coffee shop, has a fitness room (its not that great, but still gym shtuff), and laundry on every floor. If you're interested in being roommates, lemmme know!
This is random, but I was reading your thread about NYMC vs. Buffalo and it seems that you chose Buffalo? I'm in a similar predicament and was wondering what ultimately swayed your decision? lol.

There's a room mate spreadsheet on the class fb page!

Withdrew my acceptance. Best of luck to you guys!

Reactions: 2 users