2016-2017 SUNY - Buffalo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No cut-offs for how many people can get Honors/High Satisfactory.
Are the first two years P/F or no? I thought I remember them saying that at my interview

Members don't see this ad.

Are the first two years P/F or no? I thought I remember them saying that at my interview

Are they? I read a post that said honors/high pass but maybe they changed to P/F. Is there still internal rankings? How do they decide AOA then?

Have any current students posted here? I have so many questions haha

Are they? I read a post that said honors/high pass but maybe they changed to P/F. Is there still internal rankings? How do they decide AOA then?

Have any current students posted here? I have so many questions haha
I'm pretty sure the clinical years are graded, I'm not sure about the first two, all the schools are kind of blending together in my head, haha. I thought they said it was P/F, and that's what makes them super collaborative and whatnot. May be completely wrong though.

As for NY residency, it looks like you can get it as long as you rent out an apartment for your first year and are proactive about getting a NY drivers license and car registration and whatnot. I interviewed at SUNY Stony Brook and they said just about everyone switches to IS residency after the first year, so I can't imagine it would be different for Buffalo.
I think you're a fellow CA applicant, right? :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're a fellow CA applicant, right? :p

Yupp! I remember they said it was pretty easy to get IS tuition after the first year.

And I agree with you about all of the grading systems blending together. I know like 6 years ago it was honors and high pass but maybe they did change it which would be amazing.

Edit: Found this from 2016:

A. RECOGNITION OF ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE The Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences makes many efforts to encourage academic excellence, initiative, creativity and leadership. This commitment is demonstrated by the many Honors and Awards presented to students attaining excellence. Awards to recognize exceptional performance are given by the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, individual academic departments, corporations, private individuals, foundations, and community organizations. A complete listing of these awards is given in The Student Handbook. Several departments have awards that recognize the best performance achieved by students in their disciplines. The awards are presented at graduation for seniors and special awards ceremonies for second and third year students. 1. Dean's Letter of Commendation Upon completion of each academic year, students who have demonstrated academic excellence in required courses /modules /clerkships receive a certificate of commendation from the Dean. In Year 1 and Year 2, students receiving Honors grades in 75% of their modules/courses or accruing 75% of possible Honors points (calculated by awarding 2 points per credit for an Honors grade and 1 point for a High Satisfactory grade in required modules/courses) receive a Dean's Letter of Commendation. In Year 3, achieving 5 Honors or 4 Honors and 2 High Satisfactory grades in core clerkships will lead to the awarding of a certificate of recognition. Students who receive an Unsatisfactory grade during an academic year will not receive a Dean's Letter of Commendation in that year. 2. Alpha Omega Alpha Alpha Omega Alpha is the National Honor Society in medicine. Students are nominated at the Junior and Senior level by an Advisory Committee consisting of AOA faculty, senior AOA members, and members of the Dean's staff. At least two letters of commendation from the Dean are generally required for consideration. Selection is based upon overall scholastic excellence and integrity.

Some other valuable info:

http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/FACULTY...ol_Policies/Academic_Status_Policies_2016.pdf

They're Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail!

How do you feel about the grading scheme? Do you think the class is pretty competitive?

Also, since you're a current student, can you share some of the positives and negatives of your student experience thus far? Thanks!

My adviser told me the medical school accepts 66 of its own students first. Since the new medical school is opening up, the number of seats will increase.

At this point are peopling finding out if they got in or not the very next day?

My adviser told me the medical school accepts 66 of its own students first. Since the new medical school is opening up, the number of seats will increase.
Where did your adviser get this information? I have not heard of such a thing. And I can tell you with 100% certainty that our class does not have 66 UB alumni.

I'll try to post how my experience has been so far in the next week or so - our schedule is a little busy at the moment and I'm doing a lot of catching up on things.

Reactions: 2 users
Where did your adviser get this information? I have not heard of such a thing. And I can tell you with 100% certainty that our class does not have 66 UB alumni.

I'll try to post how my experience has been so far in the next week or so - our schedule is a little busy at the moment and I'm doing a lot of catching up on things.
I go to UB and my pre-med adviser told me.

I was going through UB's website and came across this:

"In 2016, the medical school received 4,490 applications, 2.9 percent more than in 2015. Of those, 576 were selected for interviews.
'We had our highest yield yet, thus requiring us to write only 307 letters of acceptance to fill our class of 149 students,' Cain said.
The vast majority, or 88 percent of the freshman class, comes from New York. Forty-four percent of the class hails from Western New York."

So about a 53% chance to get an acceptance once you got an interview invite, and a 37% chance to get pulled from the waitlist once you're put on it. This according to my notoriously bad math skills. I myself am on the waitlist here and don't know if this makes me feel better or worse, but still thought I'd share. Odds might be slightly better though, because if I remember correctly, during the interview Dr. Severin said they are still only going to be interviewing the same amount of people as in the past, but the class size is increasing by 40 students.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know how the grading works? I know it's basically letter grades but are there like certain percentages of each class that will get high pass or honors?

Nope, they don't limit how many people get honors (which they repeat many times in orientation). Satisfactory 70-79, High sat 80-89, honors 90 +.

Edit: Whoops someone already answered this! Also IS tuition isn't hard to get.

Current students, I was wondering: what states are OOS mostly from?

I'd guess California but most people are from New York, like the vast majority, so any other one state doesn't have a huge representation. But people do come from all over.

Reactions: 1 user
Nope, they don't limit how many people get honors (which they repeat many times in orientation). Satisfactory 70-79, High sat 80-89, honors 90 +.

Edit: Whoops someone already answered this! Also IS tuition isn't hard to get.

Very helpful, thank you!

I go to UB and my pre-med adviser told me.
I think the adviser is misquoting what Dean Cain said in his address quoted above^^^. There are ~66 people from Western New York in our class, but not all of those (not even close) are from UB. I know this because I counted during our White Coat Ceremony ;)

As far as OOS students go, we have people from Maine, California, Washington state, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Vermont, and Florida in our class. There might be more states but I'm forgetting where they're from at the moment.

Also, High Satisfactory is 85-89!

Just rejected pre-II. Good luck everyone!

I think the adviser is misquoting what Dean Cain said in his address quoted above^^^. There are ~66 people from Western New York in our class, but not all of those (not even close) are from UB. I know this because I counted during our White Coat Ceremony ;)

As far as OOS students go, we have people from Maine, California, Washington state, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Vermont, and Florida in our class. There might be more states but I'm forgetting where they're from at the moment.

Also, High Satisfactory is 85-89!
Thanks so much for all the info!

Could you tell us a little about what your experience has been, pros/cons and such? It's super helpful to have a current student on this thread!

Thanks so much for all the info!

Could you tell us a little about what your experience has been, pros/cons and such? It's super helpful to have a current student on this thread!
Sure! I promise to do this in the next few days. I'm not very anonymous on here but I'll try to be as honest as possible about my experience. I really like going to UB for medical school, and I'm generally a more positive person who tries to complain less, but I can definitely write up pros and cons for me.

Reactions: 5 users
II today, been complete since July. Awfully confused, but I'm not complaining :)

Reactions: 7 users
Also got an II today for April, and I've been complete since August. Anyone have an idea if the class is full and we're just interviewing for the waitlist, or if there's a legitimate chance? Didn't seem like any April interviews got accepted without getting waitlisted first.

Reactions: 3 users
II today, been complete since July. Awfully confused, but I'm not complaining :)

Also got an II today for April, and I've been complete since August. Anyone have an idea if the class is full and we're just interviewing for the waitlist, or if there's a legitimate chance? Didn't seem like any April interviews got accepted without getting waitlisted first.

Congrats! What date is your interview? Just wondering since they told me April 5 is the last day.

I asked the same thing a week or 2 ago and this was the response that someone gave me "They don't interview for waitlist at this school. If you got an interview invite you are interviewing for a spot in the class! Word for word what the dean of admissions said on the interview day. Totally go for it."

April 12th for me
I asked to reschedule to the 12th and they told me they weren't interviewing then. Perhaps they under-interviewed and added additional dates. Good luck to all!

I was able to find some info online about UB's MD/MBA dual degree. Is there anyone here who could give further insight (as an applicant, current student, etc.)?

I'm wondering do ppl get rejected post interview or are they ranked and put on the waitlist?

I'm wondering do ppl get rejected post interview or are they ranked and put on the waitlist?

I was wondering the same thing. Finished app in August, interviewed in November, been on the wait list ever since. Between the fact that the Dean of Admissions told us he keeps his WL short and that there are ~600 interviewees, one might imagine that many would have to be rejected. Do many people check threads on schools that rejected them outright though?

Edit to add: they also told us that we those on the wait list will usually hear acceptances in April, which would make sense since they don't interview for the wait list alone and interviews end in April. Given that the latest interview date someone mentioned is April 12th, I would imagine we should start crossing our fingers around that time.

Finally, II for April 12th! Complete since June.

Reactions: 3 users
Is there any way to be proactive in getting off the waitlist (showing interest in some way) or is the only option to wait for things to happen for us? Also, SUNY Upstate allows calls at a certain point to check where we are on the list, will Buffalo similarly release this information or is everything hush hush? Thanks
Hush hush, and it's a ranked waitlist, the score for which you are given immediately post interview and cannot change from that point on (per Mr Rosso). So UB looks like the ultimate sit and wait waitlist

II yesterday!

What is the post interview acceptance rate at Buffalo?

Also what percent of applicants are taken off the waitlist?

Stay positive everyone! I interviewed April 6th last year, was waitlisted, and then accepted mid-May. And another person from my interview day was accepted as well!

Anyone with an April 12th interview interested in sharing a hotel room? Lmk