2016-2017 SUNY - Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are the chances of getting in if you've received an interview? Can't find it online. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
HFS today, interviewed late Jan., LM 74. Any idea how much movement there is off the list?

HFS today, interviewed late Jan., LM 74. Any idea how much movement there is off the list?

There is a good amount. Looking at last years, they put people on an alternate list if you had a decent chance, starting on April 15. Everyone on this list then got a checklist of tasks to complete like sending in immunizations etc.. Then around may 8 or 9 they started accepting people off of the list. People last year were saying that something like 1/3 of the accepted students came off this list, maybe more.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know if Downstate is receptive to "in the area" emails?

Accepted today. HFS in December.

Reactions: 9 users
Not sure what a Lizzy M is.
3.75 cgpa / 3.6 sgpa
519 MCAT

Interviewed Nov/HFS December. Instate. No updates/LOIs. Was completely shocked.

uhhm, they contacted me via email and the acceptance packet is being snail mailed.

There's hope guys!

Reactions: 2 users
Just withdrew my II, good look to those still waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my II date for Tuesday 2/28!! Super excited and super nervous. Any and all advice is welcome! Thxs in advance.

I'm out of state, Interviewed 2/22. Anyone know the numbers on out-of-state acceptances? either pre or post II would be helpful

First time posting on this thread but thought I'd let y'all know: Rejection pre-II this morning, OOS, MCAT 510, GPA 3.7

Sent an update letter 2 days ago, just found out I've been put on "Hold for additional Review" Pre II. Probably should have sent that letter sooner...

Reactions: 1 user
Sent an update letter 2 days ago, just found out I've been put on "Hold for additional Review" Pre II. Probably should have sent that letter sooner...

Same but I didn't send an update

+1, any thoughts on when they might re-review our apps considering II's probably won't be going out for much longer?

Is the pre II hold essentially a kiss of death ( like other schools)?

How long is it taking folks to hear back post interview? I interviewed earlier this month and am wondering if the "10 weeks" they mentioned it would take is reflective of other people's experiences.

How long is it taking folks to hear back post interview? I interviewed earlier this month and am wondering if the "10 weeks" they mentioned it would take is reflective of other people's experiences.
Idk about others but I interviewed the second week of December and heard back the first week of January (HFS)

For me it was just about 7 weeks. Interviewed just before Thanksgiving and heard back first week of Jan as well (also HFS)

Did anyone here do the whole Shadow a Student thing? If so did it help you make a decision on whether or not Downstate is for you?

Thanks!

I did! They basically pair you up with a current medical student for the day, and what you do depends on the student's schedule. I met my student around noon for lunch, she showed me the school and the residence halls, then I attended a group learning session with her in the afternoon. I also met with research faculty in the morning, but I arranged that through the graduate division. I definitely got a good vibe but am still not 100% decided on where I'll go.

I received an II via email, but the letter says I will be notified one month before the interview date (after February 24th). For those who received the email, have you heard back from the admissions office?

Would you recommend I give admissions a call?

I just heard back today. They scheduled me for an interview but said it was for the alternates list only :/
What does that say about my chances?

I just heard back today. They scheduled me for an interview but said it was for the alternates list only :/
What does that say about my chances?

No one knows really. But I've heard that there is a lot of movement from the alternate list

I received an II on Feb 2nd via email for an unspecified date, and was told I would be notified 1 month before my interview.. I didn't think it would be at least a month later that I heard when my interview date was.. Anyone else in the same boat? I don't want to annoy the adcom but I'm getting a little concerned that I miss something!

I received an II on Feb 2nd via email for an unspecified date, and was told I would be notified 1 month before my interview.. I didn't think it would be at least a month later that I heard when my interview date was.. Anyone else in the same boat? I don't want to annoy the adcom but I'm getting a little concerned that I miss something!
Call! The worst that can happen is they get annoyed and give you a answer with a little attitude, better that than missing a interview and it will give you peace of mind

I got that same II with no specified date on Feb 2nd as well, but received an actual interview date for Mar 23rd just yesterday (Feb 28th) in an email.

I haven't heard back from them yet either

Hey does anyone know about the pre-matriculation program? Or any info about it for accepted students? I got an email about it but I'm not sure if its something that is worth doing, or if most people do it.

Hey does anyone know about the pre-matriculation program? Or any info about it for accepted students? I got an email about it but I'm not sure if its something that is worth doing, or if most people do it.

I'm wondering this too...

I do! Are you referring to OS?

If so, it's not offered to every accepted applicant lol. I have a couple of friends who did it last year and HIGHLY recommend it. You get a head start on gross anatomy dissections, biochem, and a couple of other med school courses. Really helps ease you into the curriculum. I'll be joining in the Summer as well :) Definitely worth it!

Interview invite just now! OOS, LM>72

Will be turning it down though. Good luck to anyone still waiting for an interview! I hope it goes to one of you.

Last edited:
Can anyone give me more information on Operation Success? What is covered in the program? Thanks!