2016-2017 SUNY - Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
interview date set within first week of march. See ya'll there!

Members don't see this ad.

I just got put "on hold for spring consideration." Interviewed 1/18. From the old threads, it looks like the alternate list is better than the hold. Looks like more waiting and chances aren't too good. Oh well....

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got put "on hold for spring consideration." Interviewed 1/18. From the old threads, it looks like the alternate list is better than the hold. Looks like more waiting and chances aren't too good. Oh well....

I may be wrong, but I think the alternate list doesn't get made until late April or May

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Can anyone please inform me of the parking situation here at Downstate? Any nearby parking besides ESP parking? Also is the walk to the Winthrop street station at night safe? Your help is much appreciated!

Basically the hfs list will start moving most in may once people need to hold only 1 acceptance. Then once the class is initially "full" it becomes the "alternate list" which still sees considerable movement but at a slower rate than hold. Your chances are still good...it's just a little longer wait!

Can anyone please inform me of the parking situation here at Downstate? Any nearby parking besides ESP parking? Also is the walk to the Winthrop street station at night safe? Your help is much appreciated!

Esp is a monthly lot that costs like $175 a month. Some houses/apartments in the area have driveways. Sometimes you can find a classmate who has one of those places but doesn't have a car and work out a deal with them for the spot. There's also a municipal lot for commuters but it requires camping at the student center at like 7 am on wednesdays to get a ticket for the week for the lot lol. For one day things there's a valet for like $10. But those are the only real options.

In over 1.5 years of being here I haven't really had a problem walking to/from the train or really anywhere in this area. Obviously you have to be vigilant, keep your head out of your phone, and look like you've been here before. But it really isn't all that scary haha. Though there is a shuttle that you can call if you ever feel uncomfortable!

It's been 3 days since I emailed them about wanting an interview and no response. Should I be worried?

Reactions: 1 user
It's been 3 days since I emailed them about wanting an interview and no response. Should I be worried?
I got the same email in early December for "after Jan 15"

I wasn't scheduled until mid-late January

I got the same email in early December for "after Jan 15"

I wasn't scheduled until mid-late January

Did you get a confirmation email saying they received your interest to interview before that?

How does one withdraw ones application from Downstate? Via email? Or do they have a way of doing it through their site?

I interviewed back on 10/13/16, HFS on 11/10/16 :(

I really want to go here. 3 HFS/waitlist decisions so far, haven't heard back from 2 schools I just interviewed at. Getting really nervous ;___;

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to clarify, no grants are awarded by SUNY Downstate except for the greatly need based scholarship? Only federal loans?

Just to clarify, no grants are awarded by SUNY Downstate except for the greatly need based scholarship? Only federal loans?
Yea I only got loans on the loan acceptance letter

Anyone know when Downstate interviews until?

Does anyone know when second look day is here?

Just got the Hold for Spring email ugh. Strange because I thought my interview went very well. Based on my interviewer responses anyway. Oh well.

Just got the Hold for Spring email ugh. Strange because I thought my interview went very well. Based on my interviewer responses anyway. Oh well.

When did you interview? Sorry it's not an acceptance but there's still a lot of hope according to this thread, especially if you think your interview went well!

Does anyone know when second look day is here?

At my interview they said they do a "shadow a student" day in lieu of traditional second look. It's not a formal program and you can pick any day Monday-Friday until May I believe.

On hold for spring consideration. Interviewed on January 3rd.

Womp womp.

At least I got some good cannolis while I was in Brooklyn.

Reactions: 1 users

I could really relate to this but my interview was late September and hfs early November. My interviewer was talking to me like I was already accepted and giving me tips for life in Brooklyn lol
They hfs so many students I wish we had access to some raw numbers on this :/
Anyways I hope we get in lol
Good luck to you Noodles

Did anyone here do the whole Shadow a Student thing? If so did it help you make a decision on whether or not Downstate is for you?

Thanks!

The SUNY downstate website is so hard for me to navigate haha. I can't seem to find clubs/extra curriculars. Can any MS give me some tips on what sort of activities and organizations are offered to students?

http://sls.downstate.edu/student_orgs/clubs/ This list is not complete.
I'm in a few clubs and I am a board member of one. Clubs are much different in med school. MS2s stop getting involved in december, MS3s are not around, MS4s have better things to do. Most clubs have a meeting or event every other month. The only club that people actively commit to and stay in for 4 years is the BFC, so I wouldn't worry at all about what clubs a school has.

yeah, I get that. I'm not much of a club person, but I was more interested in student-run organizations or groups. Thanks!

do people usually do research at suny downstate or do most students choose to go elsewhere to find research projects? It doesn't seem like research is one of downstates strengths.

Hey, not sure if you still need a response. Just going to respond in case others need the info.

There is some streetside parking, though that can be tricky to find depending on the day / alternate side laws - there is also limited parking in front of the HSEB but 99% of the time taken and I believe you need a permit (don't quote me on this, I use public trans). Honestly, with the city, you're much better off with the subway unless you live nearby. The walk from Winthrop to Downstate is around 5 minutes and is quite safe - I walk from school to the subway regularly after 8:30-9 PM. You walk through a commercial area first and when you turn on Clarkson you can see the school + hospital straight ahead. Also, there are people walking at all times of the night so you're really fine. :)

Anyone know what days of the week Downstate normally interviews (if it is set)? I have to create my work availability for the next month, but downstate said they would get back to me about an interview a month prior to the assigned date after I replied to the interested email. Would rather not harass the admissions office if I don't have to!

I still haven't heard back after my interested email... anyone else in the same boat?
I haven't heard back yet either.

Last week I was super paranoid that maybe they didn't get my email so I called them and they said that we won't hear from them until exactly 1 month before our interview date.

Reactions: 1 users
At my interview they said they do a "shadow a student" day in lieu of traditional second look. It's not a formal program and you can pick any day Monday-Friday until May I believe.
More information on this? What is the second look anyways? Is it for hold students, accepted?

Many Downstate students were put on some sort of hold first. I was accepted to a bunch of schools, but waitlisted by Downstate. Many classmates had other acceptances and chose Downstate after getting off the hold, others only got into Downstate, so there is no rhyme or reason to it. Don't be discouraged by a hold. It's sucky having to wait it out, but you still have a decent chance at an acceptance
Thank you for these words of encouragement. Right now I am sitting on 2 holds, 1 priority waitlist, and waiting to hear back from 2 interviews....no acceptances in my hand yet. :') I'm nervous as hell but really really hoping that I get in somewhere, and Downstate is my top choice!

Got my follow up email confirming my interview date! Is the interview day here typically shorter than other ones? Thought it was odd that they said to arrive at 11:30 instead of like 8

Got a follow up e-mail confirming my interview date as well but I'm going to be out of the country during that week :(
Apparently they said it's very hard to re-schedule so I guess we'll see what happens.

Got my follow up email confirming my interview date! Is the interview day here typically shorter than other ones? Thought it was odd that they said to arrive at 11:30 instead of like 8

Got a follow up e-mail confirming my interview date as well but I'm going to be out of the country during that week :(
Apparently they said it's very hard to re-schedule so I guess we'll see what happens.

if you don't mind me asking, around when are they scheduling you guys for? i'm trying to plan my spring break lol

Silence since August. How does Downstate evaluate apps? A friend of mine said they do something similar to Buffalo where they use a random app generator. Is there any truth to this?

Buffalo essentially reviews apps by picking an app out of a hat and reviewing it. Completely random. I was complete for 5 months and hadn't heard anything and my friend got an II the day after being complete.

Last edited:
Has anybody done the shadow-a-student? Or have any input about it?