2016-2017 University of Toledo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the AAMC Core Competencies for entering medical students involves cultural competence: "Demonstrates knowledge of socio-cultural factors that affect interactions and behaviors; shows an appreciation and respect for multiple dimensions of diversity; recognizes and acts on the obligation to inform one's own judgment; engages diverse and competing perspectives as a resource for learning, citizenship, and work; recognizes and appropriately addresses bias in themselves and others; interacts effectively with people from diverse backgrounds." Discuss a specific experience from your life that you feel demonstrates your cultural competence. (1000 word limit)

One of the AAMC Core Competencies for entering medical students involves resilience and adaptability: "Demonstrates tolerance of stressful or changing environments or situations and adapts effectively to them; is persistent, even under difficult situations; recovers from setbacks." Discuss a specific experience from your life that you feel demonstrates your resilience and adaptability. (1000 word limit)

Optional essay:

Briefly explain any extenuating circumstances (e.g., poor grades, course withdrawals, etc.) which you feel may be pertinent to your application. (1000 word limit)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Best of luck errbody. (Soon to be) M4 here if you have questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
The questions are below:

One of the AAMC Core Competencies for entering medical students involves cultural competence: "Demonstrates knowledge of socio-cultural factors that affect interactions and behaviors; shows an appreciation and respect for multiple dimensions of diversity; recognizes and acts on the obligation to inform one's own judgment; engages diverse and competing perspectives as a resource for learning, citizenship, and work; recognizes and appropriately addresses bias in themselves and others; interacts effectively with people from diverse backgrounds." Discuss a specific experience from your life that you feel demonstrates your cultural competence. (1000 word limit)

One of the AAMC Core Competencies for entering medical students involves resilience and adaptability: "Demonstrates tolerance of stressful or changing environments or situations and adapts effectively to them; is persistent, even under difficult situations; recovers from setbacks." Discuss a specific experience from your life that you feel demonstrates your resilience and adaptability. (1000 word limit)

Optional essay:

Briefly explain any extenuating circumstances (e.g., poor grades, course withdrawals, etc.) which you feel may be pertinent to your application. (1000 word limit)

@WedgeDawg

Reactions: 1 user
1000 words? There's no way in hell I'm coming close to that. I also don't have the secondary yet.

Reactions: 1 users
I just got it too. Anybody know what the screen was?

Just got mine too! Not sure what the screen was, going to check out their website now.

Received and submitted! I've never been to Toledo, but it would be really nice to stay in Ohio.

What are you guys doing for length? Theres just no way I can write 1000 words per prompt.

Mine was 500ish for both. I just wrote what I wanted to write, and that's where it ended up.

@apple16 same here! I submitted mine like 3 hours after receiving it..I would really like to stay in Ohio! :) Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did around 500 for both as well.

Hope they show some love to OOS!

For the biographical information section, the first part won't allow you to make any changes, but I don't see any information there (name, address, etc) is anyone else having this problem? I tried two different browsers and both had same issue.

For the biographical information section, the first part won't allow you to make any changes, but I don't see any information there (name, address, etc) is anyone else having this problem? I tried two different browsers and both had same issue.
The biographical information (name, address, etc) on the Secondary Application is automatically populated from your AMCAS application. To change your biographical information, you first must update your AMCAS application.

The biographical information (name, address, etc) on the Secondary Application is automatically populated from your AMCAS application. To change your biographical information, you first must update your AMCAS application.

Yeah I understand that, but I'm not seeing the information in there! Should I just assume it'll be entered in there when I submit?

I had the same problem but it seems to have fixed itself, if you hadn't noticed! I actually called the office because I was worried and the fields were populated when I opened it up so it should be good!

did you guys give an example for each part of the aamc core competencies, or did you just say how you were culturally competent in general?

did you guys give an example for each part of the aamc core competencies, or did you just say how you were culturally competent in general?

Those two are not related? The AAMC's core competencies are basic qualities or skills that they believe a student should have in order to become a physician. Cultural competency, per the Toledo secondary, is "as an awareness, understanding and ability to use specific methods to deal effectively with cultural issues and its role in health and health care." In other words, do you recognize the impact someone's culture can have on their health and how would you address that in your patients?

Those two are not related? The AAMC's core competencies are basic qualities or skills that they believe a student should have in order to become a physician. Cultural competency, per the Toledo secondary, is "as an awareness, understanding and ability to use specific methods to deal effectively with cultural issues and its role in health and health care." In other words, do you recognize the impact someone's culture can have on their health and how would you address that in your patients?
hmmm, i see what you're saying. i think i phrased the question wrong (i'll just blame it on all the secondaries haha). so the question is asking us to give an example of how we showed that we understood and used specific methods to deal with cultural issues right?

Anybody else's status showing that they don't have letters in, but the documents tab shows that they have received you letters?

Anyone else having trouble accessing the site to submit your secondary? The page I bookmarked keeps coming up with a "your connection is not safe" page, and when I follow the link from the email I get "applemed.utoledo.edu does not exist or is not available."

I was having the same issue with the site showing as not safe/issues with connection but I ended up accessing it through google chrome and it worked.

Also, for anyone who already submitted, did your signature disappear from the box? after I wrote my first and last name and clicked submit, I went back to check and it wasn't there anymore so I just wanted to make sure this was normal

Hey guys, M2 here. Good luck with the app, and let me know if you have any questions!

Kind of annoyed at the "Lived in Ohio since birth?" yes or no question. Moved here where I was 6 months old and never left...

Haven't heard anything from this school since submitting secondary on 7/11 but it doesn't seem like they have sent out II yet

Thinking about writing about an MCAT re-take for the essay prompt on recovering from a setback - anybody have any comments on whether this would be a bad idea?

Thinking about writing about an MCAT re-take for the essay prompt on recovering from a setback - anybody have any comments on whether this would be a bad idea?
Depends on how much you improved, what you did, how it changed you. Could work. Could not work. Just depends on how you word it really. Questions like that are more about self reflection than anything else.

anyone know what the screening criteria is for secondaries?

Did everybody else just get that email confirming that they got your primary? I submitted my secondary early in July, so I thought it was a rejection at first.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did everybody else just get that email confirming that they got your primary? I submitted my secondary early in July, so I thought it was a rejection at first.
Yeah I had a mild heart attack. Uncool, Toledo.

Yep, thought that email was an II as well. Especially after reading the first line. But it didn't make sense, because I've been complete there since 7/27...clearly I've already submitted my secondary.

Overall I think Toledo does a good job, but they have a tendency to send heart stopping emails. Welcome to application season!

Best of luck errbody. (Soon to be) M4 here if you have questions.

Hi, I appreciate you taking time to come on this thread and answer our questions. I've heard that the faculty is very good here and they really care about you. Can you please elaborate on that? How hard are the first two years here and can you do well by just watching the lectures on 2x speed? What were your study methods? Thank you and good luck with applying for residency!

I've heard that the faculty is very good here and they really care about you. Can you please elaborate on that?
I think so. I mean they're all very nice and approachable. For the people who needed it I think they generally went above and beyond to help them out. They've brought in some new people due to retirements, but I would assume they're just as good. Clinical years were good too, but your class will by and large be at a different hospital so I can't really comment on that.

How hard are the first two years here and can you do well by just watching the lectures on 2x speed? What were your study methods?
First year has its ups and downs, but overall it's manageable. Second year is just straight up hard from the word go, but by then you're kind of used to medical school. I stopped going to class after anatomy first year. I would generally sit at home watching lectures at 2x speed. I'm not the kind of person who asks questions and I appreciate the ability to pause the video if I get distracted (which happens a lot). Study methods? I don't know I mostly just studied the notes. They give you very comprehensive notes.

Haven't received an II but I checked my status and it is under review... is this specific to being reviewed or is this their version of saying that the app is complete?

Called today, they haven't started sending out IIs yet.

Reactions: 4 users