-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**
Started by WhittyPsyche
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
7
720606
Wow! Literally just left boston this morning!Just arrived in Boston!! So excited for my interview tomorrow. My host is a fourth year and she is amazing! And her place is literally, I mean literally, across the street from BU.
Reading over some interview prep but definitely trying to relax since it's a 1-on-1
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Good luck, you're gonna do great! 🙂
Thank you so much. I've been cold sweating all weekend!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looks like everyone loves Bahston. I'm definitely in love with the Brownstones and architecture! Exploring and branching with my host all day it's been amazing! [emoji847][emoji847]
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Le me watching shark tank to work on my pitch lolz
Soooo I just saw someone ask the very serious question of "don't URMs make up the bottom 10th percentile of MCAT ranges at schools?" *Rubs temples aggressively* sigh.
On that note. Here's hoping that tomorrow is a day of celebration for those of us crossing every limb for an acceptance.

On that note. Here's hoping that tomorrow is a day of celebration for those of us crossing every limb for an acceptance.


Soooo I just saw someone ask the very serious question of "don't URMs make up the bottom 10th percentile of MCAT ranges at schools?" *Rubs temples aggressively* sigh.
On that note. Here's hoping that tomorrow is a day of celebration for those of us crossing every limb for an acceptance.![]()
It's funny because when you look at many MDapps pages you see countless white applicants that get interviews and acceptances at schools where they are below the 10th percentile.
People see what they want to see. Your app is more than your stats, regardless of your skin color or ethnicity.
Good luck to everyone expecting news tomorrow! Sending positive thoughts to everyone!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Last edited:
Soooo I just saw someone ask the very serious question of "don't URMs make up the bottom 10th percentile of MCAT ranges at schools?" *Rubs temples aggressively* sigh.
On that note. Here's hoping that tomorrow is a day of celebration for those of us crossing every limb for an acceptance.![]()
And they're a current applicant? Oh boi



Anyone can pouint me to the direction I can find general questions I should be comfortable with before my interview/ Like describe yourself, why this school, why medicine etc
My compilation of interview advice after 2 years on SDN, good luck you got this! 👍
Advice from 21+ interviewer:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/advice-from-20-interviews.980593/
credit Card stuff:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...earn-miles-towards-interview-flights.1183657/
Brevity is the soul of wit: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...tions-lasting-too-long.1213696/#post-17984251
Brief outline of most common questions:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...d-don’ts-of-the-med-school-interview.1195850/
http://www.princetonreview.com/med-...ons?exid=6f305a5a-39df-478b-968c-79b317344af7 ( Princeton review list)
Dealing with nerves:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/interview-nervousness.1221881/#post-18137481
Bioethics topics:
https://depts.washington.edu/bioethx/topics/
quick and dirty summary
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/interview-prep-for-med-school.1175221
/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/preparing-for-interviews-what-to-expect.1154220/
Preparing stories/ not being too scripted
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-questions-and-my-plan.1216137/#post-18028413
List of typical questions:
http://www.princetonreview.com/med-school-advice/medical-school-interview-questions
Attire/Carry on:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/are-black-suits-to-interviews-overly-common.1188988/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/womens-interview-clothing-3.842732/page-91 ( go to next page to see the eagle creek sleeve suggestion)
MMI interviews
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/pugs-mmi-interview-strategy.1183568/
What kind of doc do you want to be interview question:
I like to break it down in another way.... do you look forward to short-term, intensive relationships with patients who have a specific problem to be solved (e.g. an injury that needs to be repaired), long-term relationships with patients who want to maintain or preserve their current state of health, or to be an expert in a specialized field so that you are the physician to whom particularly rare, challenging or puzzling cases are referred for short-term or long-term periods of care. (LizzyM)
What should you demonstrate to have a good interview(gyngyn):
Communications skills, interpersonal skills, teamwork and sparkle factor.
We're going to need these guys to get great residencies shortly.
PD 's really care about these qualities and we can't teach them.
Bioethics issues:
http://depts.washington.edu/bioethx/topics/index.html
What would you do if you didn't get in this year test
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...u-do-if-you-did-not-get-in-this-year.1167896/
Greatest Weakness Question:
This is not so much a question about your weaknesses as it is about your self-awareness, your ability to be self-critical, and your willingness to do something about it. You seem to have everything going for you in the response you've been thinking about for this question. (lizzyM)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/greatest-weakness-question.1160197/
http://www.studentdoctor.net/2008/02/trick-question/?reload=1&r=1432491487465
Tell about a time you failed:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/a-time-you-failed-or-were-unsuccessful-secondary.1208740/
Tell me about yourself interview question.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/so-tell-me-about-yourself-as-an-interview-questoin.1138597/
Examples of good and bad interviews and skills to notice
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...iew-skills-and-poor-interview-skills.1153797/
Why are you special?( good insight here!)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/why-are-you-special.1170424/#post-17126896
Typical questions asked in an interiew
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ions-do-they-ask-during-the-interiew.1168667/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/top-3-burning-interview-questions.1169934/#post-17111440
Questions to ask during an interview if presented with the opportunity
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-to-tell-strength-of-clinical-years.1048294/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...to-ask-at-each-school-from-a-4th-year.820524/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/goro’s-guide-to-your-interview-questions.1158264/ ( from GORO)
Assessing your interview:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-good-interview-from-a-bad-one.1163971/page-2
Impressions from a 4th year med student
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/application-process-looking-back-as-a-4th-year.104541/
Thanks😀 Hopefully I will be able to use this knowledge next cycle by snagging some interviews. Really hoping that I can prep well enough to get a good MCAT in April. Ugh studying sucks lemme tell ya haha. What country are you from btw?( if you are not comfortable disclosing that my apologies!) I'm from Nigeria but I have lived in the US most of my life.
Thanks😀 Hopefully I will be able to use this knowledge next cycle by snagging some interviews. Really hoping that I can prep well enough to get a good MCAT in April. Ugh studying sucks lemme tell ya haha. What country are you from btw?( if you are not comfortable disclosing that my apologies!) I'm from Nigeria but I have lived in the US most of my life.
lol that's a random question.
South America.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I just noticed that in your sig and I vaguely remember reading some of your posts where you mentioned that. Sorry I wasn't trying to be weird 😳
I just noticed that in your sig and I vaguely remember reading some of your posts where you mentioned that. Sorry I wasn't trying to be weird 😳
Oh haha! Good catch. I made that sig since I first joined SDN and I only use mobile now so completely forgot.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Dam, this is SDN gold thank you!!My compilation of interview advice after 2 years on SDN, good luck you got this! 👍
Advice from 21+ interviewer:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/advice-from-20-interviews.980593/
credit Card stuff:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...earn-miles-towards-interview-flights.1183657/
Brevity is the soul of wit: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...tions-lasting-too-long.1213696/#post-17984251
Brief outline of most common questions:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/linusballing’s-dos-and-don’ts-of-the-med-school-interview.1195850/
http://www.princetonreview.com/med-...ons?exid=6f305a5a-39df-478b-968c-79b317344af7 ( Princeton review list)
Dealing with nerves:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/interview-nervousness.1221881/#post-18137481
Bioethics topics:
https://depts.washington.edu/bioethx/topics/
quick and dirty summary
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/interview-prep-for-med-school.1175221
/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/preparing-for-interviews-what-to-expect.1154220/
Preparing stories/ not being too scripted
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-questions-and-my-plan.1216137/#post-18028413
List of typical questions:
http://www.princetonreview.com/med-school-advice/medical-school-interview-questions
Attire/Carry on:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/are-black-suits-to-interviews-overly-common.1188988/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/womens-interview-clothing-3.842732/page-91 ( go to next page to see the eagle creek sleeve suggestion)
MMI interviews
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/pugs-mmi-interview-strategy.1183568/
What kind of doc do you want to be interview question:
I like to break it down in another way.... do you look forward to short-term, intensive relationships with patients who have a specific problem to be solved (e.g. an injury that needs to be repaired), long-term relationships with patients who want to maintain or preserve their current state of health, or to be an expert in a specialized field so that you are the physician to whom particularly rare, challenging or puzzling cases are referred for short-term or long-term periods of care. (lizzym)
What should you demonstrate to have a good interview(gyngyn):
Communications skills, interpersonal skills, teamwork and sparkle factor.
We're going to need these guys to get great residencies shortly.
PD 's really care about these qualities and we can't teach them.
Bioethics issues:
http://depts.washington.edu/bioethx/topics/index.html
What would you do if you didn't get in this year test
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...u-do-if-you-did-not-get-in-this-year.1167896/
Greatest Weakness Question:
This is not so much a question about your weaknesses as it is about your self-awareness, your ability to be self-critical, and your willingness to do something about it. You seem to have everything going for you in the response you've been thinking about for this question. (lizzyM)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/greatest-weakness-question.1160197/
http://www.studentdoctor.net/2008/02/trick-question/?reload=1&r=1432491487465
Tell about a time you failed:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/a-time-you-failed-or-were-unsuccessful-secondary.1208740/
Tell me about yourself interview question.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/so-tell-me-about-yourself-as-an-interview-questoin.1138597/
Examples of good and bad interviews and skills to notice
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...iew-skills-and-poor-interview-skills.1153797/
Why are you special?( good insight here!)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/why-are-you-special.1170424/#post-17126896
Typical questions asked in an interiew
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ions-do-they-ask-during-the-interiew.1168667/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/top-3-burning-interview-questions.1169934/#post-17111440
Questions to ask during an interview if presented with the opportunity
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-to-tell-strength-of-clinical-years.1048294/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...to-ask-at-each-school-from-a-4th-year.820524/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/goro’s-guide-to-your-interview-questions.1158264/ ( from GORO)
Assessing your interview:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-good-interview-from-a-bad-one.1163971/page-2
Impressions from a 4th year med student
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/application-process-looking-back-as-a-4th-year.104541/
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My pleasure homie we all have to support each other! 🙂Dam, this is SDN gold thank you!!
Good morning and welcome to judgement day #1. I wish you all the best of luck.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Hey Mark....does that come with season tickets???Le me watching shark tank to work on my pitch lolz
Lol received the same. Had never heard of the school and thought it was a podiatry spam or something.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'm tired of those....
You rock, congratulations!
Thank you. Just accepted to GW. I'm.... at a loss for words.
Accepted to Case Western!
Congratulations! Awesome School. I hope you have plans to celebrate. Whatever they may be!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
@SydSing you are slaying!!!!!!!
Thank you. Just accepted to GW. I'm.... at a loss for words.
Killing the game!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
7
702599
Accepted into Pritzker today! Still in shock!!!
Accepted into Pritzker today! Still in shock!!!
Congrats I could tell you were going to have an amazing cycle !
7
720606
Accepted to Case Western!
Thank you. Just accepted to GW. I'm.... at a loss for words.
CONGRATULATIONS!!Accepted into Pritzker today! Still in shock!!!
7
720606
Accepted to Texas Tech F-MAT!
Accepted to Texas Tech F-MAT!
Aw yuz!!! Get it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
7
702599
THanks @Chromium Surfer ! As will you I am sure of it! 😀Congrats I could tell you were going to have an amazing cycle !
I've never been so excited for the success of so many people. Congrats! You all deserve the acceptances you got. I can't wait to hear more good news! And while this has been said so many times, the support on this thread has been absolutely amazing to watch. I hope this continues for every cycle!
Congratulations everyone with acceptances!!!
Just got out of my interview at BU. There were definitely people sneaking looks at their email and someone actually got an acceptance call during lunch! Lol
Anyways, for those looking at interviewing at BU. I loved it! Great time here and in Boston in general.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Just got out of my interview at BU. There were definitely people sneaking looks at their email and someone actually got an acceptance call during lunch! Lol
Anyways, for those looking at interviewing at BU. I loved it! Great time here and in Boston in general.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Heck yeah you rock!😎 Congrats🙂Late to the party cool kids, but ACCEPTED TO TUFTS![]()
7
720606
Yes!Late to the party cool kids, but ACCEPTED TO TUFTS![]()
Heck yeah you rock!😎 Congrats🙂
Yes!
Thanks guys 😍 man we did it. And we're doing it. It's crazy
Mind sharing how you reacted when you found out?Late to the party cool kids, but ACCEPTED TO TUFTS![]()
I'm so happy for everyone! I wish all of you many more acceptances 🙂
This thread makes me so excited for next cycle 😀
Mind sharing how you reacted when you found out?
I did a full play by play in the "when you got in, how did you react" thread lol enjoy 😍
I'm going to play Drake's Started From the Bottom....I'm ready!!!!!I did a full play by play in the "when you got in, how did you react" thread lol enjoy 😍
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So exciting hearing about all of y'all's success, I want to be in this position so badly! I can't help but feel extremely discouraged with all this good news, as I haven't even received a II yet. I really hope it's not too late for me! 🙁
Do not be discouraged (totally easier said than done). It is no where near too late. Schools legit interview into March. That's still 5 whole months left to speed date with these schools. And all of your IIs do not come at one time either. I had a superstar friend (17 total IIs) who got 5 IIs in December alone. So it's no where near over. Chins up, buttercup. We are rooting for you

9 days out from my first interview and I began to write out outlines of how I will answer common questions. I want to be over prepared not scripted!


9 days out from my first interview and I began to write out outlines of how I will answer common questions. I want to be over prepared not scripted!![]()
Be careful. You want to be natural and relatable.
There was a guy at my interview yesterday that came off as he scripted every single interaction ahead of time. Like during Q&A, but even when it was just us interviewees chatting, you expect people to come in with prepared questions to a certain point but literally everything he said sounded like he was reciting something he rehearsed. I can only imagine it carried over into the interview.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 339
- Replies
- 73
- Views
- 22K
You rock, congratulations!
