2016-2017 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The funny thing is, my interviewer told me he will push the committee for me to get a scholarship and "really thinks I deserve one"... instead I'm waitlisted for months now LOL
Funny, a guy who interviewed my day said that his interviewer said the same thing

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I know it's hard, I could barely sleep for months but come on you guys, Wayne State is a great school and they all are very nice there. We are all great candidates and I'm sure these meetings are really tough for them and the decisions are super hard. If they could, I'm sure they would accept everyone of us. There is still an entire month of acceptances to go out so stay positive!
We know, it's just funny and being #WayneStated is a thing there, everyone is in on the joke.

Reactions: 1 users
Out-of-State resident:

Interviewed: 01/20
Wait listed: 02/10
Accepted: 05/05

Good Luck Everyone !

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Cong
California resident:

Interviewed: 01/20
Wait listed: 02/10
Accepted: 05/05

Good Luck Everyone !

Congrats! This is not directed at you and I didn't apply this year, but as a Michigan resident I have a serious issue with Wayne taking out of state students (which from the past few pages seems to have happened today) especially California since NEARLY every single California school takes almost 96% CA residents

I guess Wayne is looking for the out of state tuition to help their budget

Cong

Congrats! This is not directed at you and I didn't apply this year, but as a Michigan resident I have a serious issue with Wayne taking out of state students (which from the past few pages seems to have happened today) especially California since NEARLY every single California school takes almost 96% CA residents
This is really uncalled for.

Reactions: 3 users
Y'all need to chill lol. May just started. We still got a long ways to go.

Sent from my SM-G935T using SDN mobile

They just all having fun giving false hope. Lol
I honestly just think they really do think we are all great candidates and would love to have everyone of us there. But keep the faith! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

Dr. Baker specifically mentioned that he wants OOS students to spread the Wayne name nationally... He mentioned that MI residents have a ton of options nowadays.

Sent from my LG-H872 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
This is really uncalled for.

For a Michigan resident.
Dr. Baker specifically mentioned that he wants OOS students to spread the Wayne name nationally... He mentioned that MI residents have a ton of options nowadays.

Sent from my LG-H872 using SDN mobile

That would be a smart policy if say California and New York schools felt the same way. If anything Michigan schools especially those that are public, should only take OOS from those states whose schools also take OOS. California unfortunately and New York for the most part do not fit in that category.

Just pointing this out because from last few pages, I see a lot of OOS acceptances from WL.

Members don't see this ad :)
For a Michigan resident.

That would be a smart policy if say California and New York schools felt the same way. If anything Michigan schools especially those that are public, should only take OOS from those states whose schools also take OOS. California unfortunately and New York for the most part do not fit in that category.

Just pointing this out because from last few pages, I see a lot of OOS acceptances from WL.

Applying this year so Im worried about chances. Congrats to all getting accepted. There is no need for anyone to take offense about a valid point

Applying this year so Im worried about chances. Congrats to all getting accepted. There is no need for anyone to take offense about a valid point
This process is super scary, so I can understand your reaction, but don't forget that your success is largely dependent on you. Blaming factors other than yourself serves only to protect your ego. I can't speak for everyone but I agree that what you said was uncalled for. Someone was celebrating their success and you took that as an opportunity to share your insecurity.

Reactions: 5 users
Detroit College of Medicine (Abraham Flexner Report in 1910):
Attendance: 161, Michigan Resident: 113 (70%), Out-of-State: 48 (30%).

WSUSOM Class Profiles - Entering Class of 2016:
Attendance: 286; In-State: 210 (73.4%); Out-of-State: 76 (26.6%)

There is no evidence that supports WSUSOM’s preference to OOS applicants.

Reactions: 2 users
For a Michigan resident.

I'm from a state that takes 20-30% OOS :) . Not from NY or CA

I'm from a state that takes 20-30% OOS :) . Not from NY or CA

And I understand it may seem unfair , I was not accepted at a school in my state yet OOS students were . However, you have to remember that it creates a diverse student body and that's a positive thing. There are reasons the committee does things, most of the time it's with the intent to benefit the Med students training there and patients in the community , not bc they are money hungry.

Guys please calm down with the medical school politics. We're all here trying to get more info about Wayne throughout the cycle. I'm sure there's a forum elsewhere where you can discuss IS vs OOS acceptance strategies and techniques.

We have that admissions guy ready to answer questions for us remember? :laugh:

Do we know how often ADCOM will be meeting? I hope it will not be once a month or so...

Do we know how often ADCOM will be meeting? I hope it will not be once a month or so...
Nah, it's gotta be more frequently in these crunch time months. Last year people got accepted almost every week in May and June.

Reactions: 4 users
Just so y'all know, the university board of governors (which has a vote on by the student senate!) voted for a tuition freeze across the board along with the 13% Tution decrease for OSS M1s. Glad to know we won't be paying any more money!

The email said we have 2 weeks to respond to the acceptance offer so I assume the next round may go out around May 19, hope that helps !

Hey guys, for those of you who will be starting at Wayne this upcoming academic year, congrats and welcome to wayne med! For those of you on waitlist, I wish you the best! I'm currently at Wayne and I wanted to give you all a heads up about the new system they're using. For many of our exams, they are having firecracker write the exams for us based on the course pack so if you want to get an early start on the material, you can request to be connected with firecracker material that corresponds to the Wayne curriculum. If you decide to get it anytime between now and when you start school, feel free and use my referral code, which gives you an additional discount.

The link is:
http://mbsy.co/hqCvC

Congrats again and enjoy the rest of your summer!
Hey, I was wondering if you or any other current students could comment on the firecracker exams. I've never heard of schools hiring a company to write their exams, the professors usually write them. How do you feel about them compared to traditional professor-written exams? Pros/Cons? Do your profs still have a say in writing them?

Here's to hoping we get some IS love this week :banana:

Reactions: 5 users
Hey, I was wondering if you or any other current students could comment on the firecracker exams. I've never heard of schools hiring a company to write their exams, the professors usually write them. How do you feel about them compared to traditional professor-written exams? Pros/Cons? Do your profs still have a say in writing them?

Current M1/rising M2 here. This was experimental this year and only for the neuroscience course. We had access to firecracker (typically a board review tool) for 3 months to help us study and then firecracker wrote a portion of the exam questions, which were then reviewed and approved by the individual lecturer and the course director. I personally do not foresee them extending this to other courses. Some students found Firecracker useful in reviewing, but overall it was not necessary to succeed in the course and the majority of us did not use it at all. It may not even be in place for neuroscience next year. Like I said. It was just something they were trying out this year.

+1, that post was just someone shilling for Firecracker to get a discount himself/herself.
Current M1/rising M2 here. This was experimental this year and only for the neuroscience course. We had access to firecracker (typically a board review tool) for 3 months to help us study and then firecracker wrote a portion of the exam questions, which were then reviewed and approved by the individual lecturer and the course director. I personally do not foresee them extending this to other courses. Some students found Firecracker useful in reviewing, but overall it was not necessary to succeed in the course and the majority of us did not use it at all. It may not even be in place for neuroscience next year. Like I said. It was just something they were trying out this year.

Thanks. Also do you (or anyone) know if it's acceptable for a Physics class to be a combined lecture/lab as opposed to 2 separate classes?
Yes, it's acceptable. There was a spot on the AMCAS app for denoting a combined lecture/lab grade.

This process is super scary, so I can understand your reaction, but don't forget that your success is largely dependent on you. Blaming factors other than yourself serves only to protect your ego. I can't speak for everyone but I agree that what you said was uncalled for. Someone was celebrating their success and you took that as an opportunity to share your insecurity.

"My ego" " insecurity" for rooting for my fellow Michiganders!!!
Say your colleague presents a valid point which is supported by facts, will you just emotionally overreact like this? This is not Gray's Anatomy. Chill out

Say your colleague presents a valid point which is supported by facts, will you just emotionally overreact like this? This is not Gray's Anatomy. Chill out

My apologies if I came across that way, but I wasn't emotional or anything. Just trying to share something I've learned after spending 6 years working on my app post graduation. No amount of energy I put towards focusing on factors that were out of my control could make up for the work I had to do. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

:whoa:

Accepted off waitlist! OOS (but family in the area), URM, LM 55.6.

There is still hope!

This wave of acceptances seemed small compared to previous years. I feel like the big one hasn't come yet.

If the two week theory has any legs, we would here something Friday because people heard the friday right before traffic day

For those on the waitlist, what are you back up plans for next year (assuming you're going to apply again in the 2018 cycle)?