2016-2017 "What are my Chances?" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think you guys might be a little too harsh. They asked for top programs outside of the the northeast, and there's a few that have DOs in the Midwest and South. The lack of psych activities and research may be more of a problem though.

It's still way too early for their post though. Our rank lists aren't even finalized yet.

Members don't see this ad.

For Pete's sake!
1) At least wait for this cycle's applicants to match. Then we'll have a dedicated thread for the 2017-2018.
2) What makes you think you should be applying to top tier residencies? Aside from your Step 1 score (congrats!), nothing stands out - not to mention lack of evidence of specific interest in psychiatry. If you realized you're not competitive for EM and Anesthesia, it doesn't make you competitive for top psych residencies.

P. S. - I'm generally a nice and polite person. But as someone dedicated to the field and doing all kinds of psych related stuff since MS1, it pissed me off that a very average applicant without proven interest in the field expects to be taken seriously by top programs.
Let's not let feelings get in the way of reality. Even without strong psych ECs - a 240+ step 1 application won't be laughed out of the room at any program in the country, including the top tier NE programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Let's not let feelings get in the way of reality. Even without strong psych ECs - a 240+ step 1 application won't be laughed out of the room at any program in the country, including the top tier NE programs.

Yeah. The reality is somewhere in middle. The guy destroyed Step 1 in terms for Psych purposes. He or she will match. Being a DO myself I can say top tier will be tough but who cares? One thing I agree with is that we should wait for the class in front of us to match before we start our own thread. Just a few weeks!!

Members don't see this ad :)

FWIW, I had a 238 Step 1 and plenty of psych research including a poster at an international psych conference and got no interviews from any top tier NE programs. Also, graduated from a US MD school. I agree he shouldn't have a problem matching but it does seem top tier is harder to break into now than it was a few years ago.

Step 1: 242/COMLEX 578
Step 2 CK/ CS: COMLEX PE in May, COMLEX II in June, STEP 2 June (Still debating whether to take Step 2)
School: DO School in NE
Class Rank: Bottom Half
Grades in Clerkship: HP (or As) in every rotation including Psych
AOA: No
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: Public Health publication before med school, clinical research in Anesthesiology, Class VP, Extracurrics in EM, Americorps Volunteer in low-income urban area.
Red Flags: (step failures, etc) none
Overview of where you want to end up: ACGME Northeast program (preferably in NYC) but willing to travel for great programs.

Any suggestions on target programs in Northeast/NYC or top tier programs elsewhere? Thanks!

I can't comment on your competitiveness as I am an M3 myself. From speaking to people who have been through the match process for psychiatry, questioning an applicant's interest in psychiatry is a very real thing that dings people. Remember, an application is not a list of things you have done; if some things on it point in a completely different specialty direction, I would consider not putting them on. I would do some early psychiatry electives +/- AI so you can re-route the interview conversations to psychiatry in case someone gets hung up on some of the things in your resume.

PS I didn't think your goals came off sounding too lofty and I have had an early interest in psychiatry as well. Things are getting more competitive, so people are getting pissy. Wishing you best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you claiming that there are programs that fill exclusively with 250+?
I think it has more to do with the fact that top programs in the NE (and probably everywhere else) rarely if ever take DOs..

There are definitely programs that have never taken DOs. Unfair in many ways, but also undeniably true.

Very true, but the original statement was focusing on the step 1 score, not the DO degree. I do agree that the DO degree will keep him out of MANY programs, unfortunately.

The top programs like Yale/MGH/Columbia have plenty of applicants with scores in that range or higher. They can afford to look at people who have amazing research and other things on their resume.

FWIW, a know a couple of people from my (MD) school with scores like that who didn't get those interviews. It's really competitive at the top.

I didn't read the poster to be looking at top tier programs in the NE. Sounds like he/she prefers the area, but willing to consider programs outside of it if they are strong.

Since this discussion seems to have taken a turn, I am curious as to what programs you would recommend for the student that would be achievable in the Northeast or "top-tier" residencies that are available outside that location?

It seems as though the opinion is that these top programs do not interview DOs but there are definitely some sprinkled around. Sure, they are the exception rather than the rule but not impossible to my understanding.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the top programs being a stretch for DOs, but mid-tiers (if that's really a thing, IDK) are most definitely in reach. Most will offer interviews. Plenty of good programs with plenty of DOs out there.

DOs out there... just apply and see what happens. Don't let comments here sway you either way.

HOWEVER... this is not the place for this discussion, nor is it time for "WTF are my chances." Let this year's class match first. It's their time!!! Now go outside and play kickball or something!

Reactions: 3 users
Since this discussion seems to have taken a turn, I am curious as to what programs you would recommend for the student that would be achievable in the Northeast or "top-tier" residencies that are available outside that location?

It seems as though the opinion is that these top programs do not interview DOs but there are definitely some sprinkled around. Sure, they are the exception rather than the rule but not impossible to my understanding.
Agree with the top programs being a stretch for DOs, but mid-tiers (if that's really a thing, IDK) are most definitely in reach. Most will offer interviews. Plenty of good programs with plenty of DOs out there.

DOs out there... just apply and see what happens. Don't let comments here sway you either way.

HOWEVER... this is not the place for this discussion, nor is it time for "WTF are my chances." Let this year's class match first. It's their time!!! Now go outside and play kickball or something!

I'd rather play kickball anyway. As a DO with a 239, I know the top-tier doesn't want me. I don't want them either. I want mid-tier all the way. The mid-tier guys/gals would rather play kickball than do hardcore Psych research. Raising my morning glass ....(of orange juice). Here's to the mid-tier guys and gals.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd rather play kickball anyway. As a DO with a 239, I know the top-tier doesn't want me. I don't want them either. I want mid-tier all the way. The mid-tier guys/gals would rather play kickball than do hardcore Psych research. Raising my morning glass ....(of orange juice). Here's to the mid-tier guys and gals.
I'm on a flipped schedule (working nights) so I'll raise my glass of Maker's Mark... especially because of that Tony avatar there. Fugatz!

I don't know what top tier means outside of MGH, Cornell, Yale, Stanford and possibly 5 other places I can't think of at the moment. In reality 135 or 140 programs out of 150 are well within reach for DOs. To the DOs reading this, I want to point out as DO with only Comlex I received invites from many solid places and a couple of Brand Name places bandied about on this forum.

I suspect at least 66.6% of DO applicants screen and rank programs using an algorithm similar to mine.

Is the number of DOs in this program proportional to the DO population?
Is this program not in danger of losing accreditation?
Will this program give me solid training?
Without excessive call?
Without pressure to do research?
Is there a resident from my school there?
Is this place close to family and friends?
Did their kickball team not lose to the emergency residents kickball team by double digits?

I don't know what top tier means outside of MGH, Cornell, Yale, Stanford and possibly 5 other places I can't think of at the moment.

UCSF, UCLA, UPMC, Columbia, NYU I would vote. Stanford isn't really in that tier either, if we are getting nit picky :rofl:

I don't know what top tier means outside of MGH, Cornell, Yale, Stanford and possibly 5 other places I can't think of at the moment. In reality 135 or 140 programs out of 150 are well within reach for DOs. To the DOs reading this, I want to point out as DO with only Comlex I received invites from many solid places and a couple of Brand Name places bandied about on this forum.
MGH, UPMC, UCLA, NYU, Columbia in my opinion.

Last edited:
There's some exceptionally good "tier 2" programs that are state universities too, particularly in the midwest!

Well what do you know? I am in the midwest and that's exactly what I am targeting.

Not to :beat:, but ask after March 17th and you'll get enthusiastic responses from us assuming you're still interested in psychiatry at that point.

As somebody in your class who is also starting the process too early just by watching the class above us go through this: guys. Seriously. Stop.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
In some other speciality forums, you might see these threads starting up because applicants have to think about away rotations and backup specialities. For psych, neither of those are issues. I know it's hard not to get anxious, but starting all of this now will only make things worse. Wait a few months.

I'm as anxious as anyone but come on. How about we start a 2017-2018 WAMC thread the day after the Match day, mmmmkay?

Reactions: 7 users
I'm as anxious as anyone but come on. How about we start a 2017-2018 WAMC thread the day after the Match day, mmmmkay?

Let's give them their time. Our time is coming soon from now. We will have the support of the most helpful forum on SDN (and probably most down to earth).

Sorry to bump an old thread, but as I try to figure out what my chances are in relation to different programs, I wanted to see if people who posted here last year would update with where they matched? Or, if there are concerns about maintaining anonymity, maybe just mention where you got interviews? I think it'd be extremely helpful to this cycle's applicants!

For the DO applicants, how many ACGME programs did you ultimately apply to? Did you get a sense of the average amount to be expected?

Thank you!

For the DO applicants, how many ACGME programs did you ultimately apply to? Did you get a sense of the average amount to be expected?

Thank you!

I applied to 55 and got interview offers at about half of them. I only went on 13 of those, however. I was an average applicant by the numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello all. Thank you for all these information+advice! Long time lurker here and just applied for 2018 Match. My Step score ain't so hot:/

Step 1: 192...
Step 2 CK/ CS: 212/Pass
School: Top 3 Carib
Class Rank: bottom half maybe? GPA 3.3
Grades in Clerkship: A's and B+'s
AOA: N/A
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: 2nd author on a book chapter, 3 poster presentation, did research in Johns Hopkins U, journal article with team of JHU phds already submitted and currently being peer-reviewed.
Majored Psychology in undergrad. Was a resident advisor so I counseled lots of college students (and busted parties). VP for oncology club, did volunteer work with Peds club on the island. Did my Psych core clerkship in an urban community hospital in NYC; worked with substance abuse patients during my CDU clerkship; did a clinical internship with a bipolar FM physician. Included some of these experiences in my PS, Good LoRs, no bad comments on MSPE.
Red Flags: (step failures, etc):
1. US-IMG
2. 192 Step 1 + 212 Step 2
3. T/W for step studying:/
4. Low scores/pass in 1st and 2nd year.
Overview of where you want to end up: I'm so nervous I applied to 110 programs. I don't really care where I go, but does anyone have any suggestions what programs these stats can get me into? I'm interested in academic psychiatry, psychoanalysis, and child/adolescent psych.

Thank you!

Hello all. Thank you for all these information+advice! Long time lurker here and just applied for 2018 Match. My Step score ain't so hot:/

Step 1: 192...
Step 2 CK/ CS: 212/Pass
School: Top 3 Carib
Class Rank: bottom half maybe? GPA 3.3
Grades in Clerkship: A's and B+'s
AOA: N/A
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: 2nd author on a book chapter, 3 poster presentation, did research in Johns Hopkins U, journal article with team of JHU phds already submitted and currently being peer-reviewed.
Majored Psychology in undergrad. Was a resident advisor so I counseled lots of college students (and busted parties). VP for oncology club, did volunteer work with Peds club on the island. Did my Psych core clerkship in an urban community hospital in NYC; worked with substance abuse patients during my CDU clerkship; did a clinical internship with a bipolar FM physician. Included some of these experiences in my PS, Good LoRs, no bad comments on MSPE.
Red Flags: (step failures, etc):
1. US-IMG
2. 192 Step 1 + 212 Step 2
3. T/W for step studying:/
4. Low scores/pass in 1st and 2nd year.
Overview of where you want to end up: I'm so nervous I applied to 110 programs. I don't really care where I go, but does anyone have any suggestions what programs these stats can get me into? I'm interested in academic psychiatry, psychoanalysis, and child/adolescent psych.

Thank you!

I reaaaaaally hope you did not include anything about doing an internship with a bipolar FM physician in your personal statement, because a) they could easily figure out who it was if they are so inclined given they have access to your transcripts, b) that is not your information to go around revealing and c) that would demonstrate that you are willing to step on literally anybody in order to achieve your goals, which is not a good look.

I reaaaaaally hope you did not include anything about doing an internship with a bipolar FM physician in your personal statement, because a) they could easily figure out who it was if they are so inclined given they have access to your transcripts, b) that is not your information to go around revealing and c) that would demonstrate that you are willing to step on literally anybody in order to achieve your goals, which is not a good look.

whoa. I wrote that it was an amazing experience bc of how empathetic and how he was able to connect with his patients and how I learned from this experience. 0.0

I wrote about how the negative stigma of mental illness affect health profession bla bla bla bla. Gave it to several psychiatrist who liked my PS....

And obviously I didn't write anything negative about the doctor. He actually inspired me to become a BETTER physician bc of his own interactions. He actually wrote me a strong LoR so programs want to look him up/call him, it wouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the tip though clausewitz2

And obviously I didn't write anything negative about the doctor. He actually inspired me to become a BETTER physician bc of his own interactions. He actually wrote me a strong LoR so programs want to look him up/call him, it wouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the tip though clausewitz2

Did you ask his permission before telling program directors across the United States that he personally and identifiably has a bipolar diagnosis? If you did not or it is not clear you can expect some people reading your statement to react as strongly as I am doing.

Edit -- meant to post in 2018 WAMC

Last edited by a moderator: