2016 edition tbr mcat books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted752711

Hey guys,

Summer is approaching, so I'm looking into the mcat prep materials. I have noticed that EK is coming out with their 10th edition mcat set next week. Naturally, I was wondering if TBR is doing the same thing or done the something similar in the past. I'm planning on buying them, but I prefer to buy the latest edition if possible.

Thanks guys and have a good day

Members don't see this ad.

For most if not all test prep companies (I'm not familiar with EK or TBR but I would assume they follow similar trends), the material in content review books does not change much if at all from edition to edition for the new MCAT. That's because they all basically follow the topic outline released by the AAMC that lists concepts that will be tested on the MCAT. So buying earlier editions may end up saving you a lot of money. I personally used the very first edition of Kaplan's 7-book series and they were just fine. The real determining factor would be if prep companies come up with better FLs. At this time, it is my opinion that no test company has FLs that are representative of the real thing. The closest I've ever seen is probably ~50% similar to the real thing.

FLs are also usually offered as online resources with the books so if you get an older edition, you would probably have access to the company's newest FLs once you activate the code online. That's how it works with Kaplan, at least.

TBR just came out with new books and they added a P/S book. Also I think their Ochem is now an ochem/biochem book. In my opinion TBR is great for chem and bio since they give you a ton of practice passages and a few shortcuts for solving problems. I can't attest to their new stuff though.

I bought the new editions of TBR minus physics (I may get it later) they are great, similar to their old ones just with a different strategical approach to teaching the material. It's way more integrative. I have the new Kaplan books as well. And the new EK set also...yes that 3 full sets. #overzealous biochem is part of the 2nd biology book. I haven't looked at psych yet. And I'm not sure how they approach CARS I may have to revisit th e website. I like TBR the best because they are the best at explaining their answers. Also, there are so many practice questions it's rediculous. Each chapter has 70-100 practice questions for each subject! And to supplement I have the kaplan and EK books for more practice. Honestly tho so far I like TBR >EK>kaplan

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk