2016 Grad Intern Offers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apex8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was not able to find a thread for the 2016 grad offers and figured I would start with some of the offers that I have heard thus far. These figures help us new grads determine how good/bad an offer is. Please post:

Salary: hourly/yearly
Position: FT/PT/PD
Company:

Salary: 56.50/hr
Position: FT
Company: Rite Aid
Accepted: unknown

there's also this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/walmart-grad-intern-offers-class-of-2016.1162159/ where someone has posted getting grad intern pay of $30/hr (which is usually half of pharmacist pay)

Members don't see this ad.

Are the salaries really that low one year later? I recently graduated in 2015 and was offered 65/hr to start at a retail chain

Are the salaries really that low one year later? I recently graduated in 2015 and was offered 65/hr to start at a retail chain

How is it in Cali with that kind of number?

Members don't see this ad :)
$56.50 is pretty consistent for my region (southeast), and starting around 118k a year isn't too bad for retail in my opinion (for most areas).

How is it in Cali with that kind of number?

Well I'm in a harder to staff rural area where the cost of living is cheaper compared to the rest of California, so it's a comfortable salary. I hear grads in the bay area or southern CA have hourly wages in the low 60's or even lower, and no guarantee of 40 hours/week. The amount taken out in taxes is pretty high...about 40% with each paycheck. :-(

Reactions: 1 user
I was offered $58 in rural Midwest last year if that helps. I'm pretty sure our district is keeping that wage into this year as well.

I wish NY pharmacists started in the 60s. The cost of living is so much higher (especially in NYC) yet the salary is lower because it's a "desireable" area. That and there are 3-4 pharmacy schools in the area

anyone had CVS ? I don't know how CVS offer looks like. They say they will send out an electronic offer with all the detail by mid October. Would that be offer for grad intern specifically or offer for pharmacist ? Will they tell you the salary for either grad intern or pharmacist position in the offer too ?

I wish NY pharmacists started in the 60s. The cost of living is so much higher (especially in NYC) yet the salary is lower because it's a "desireable" area. That and there are 3-4 pharmacy schools in the area
Everyone I know around here has hourly rate in the 50s. It's just the way it is in the area. :/ Still... I am not moving to Texas!!

Last edited:
anyone had CVS ? I don't know how CVS offer looks like. They say they will send out an electronic offer with all the detail by mid October. Would that be offer for grad intern specifically or offer for pharmacist ? Will they tell you the salary for either grad intern or pharmacist position in the offer too ?
I was told mid-October too for CVS but I haven't heard anything back yet.

I was told mid-October too for CVS but I haven't heard anything back yet.
let me know if you hear from them. i heard that its all computerized in term of the package offer from CVS, it gonna take a while for them.

I haven't heard any official cvs offers yet, but they should be out before the end of August I believe... They send it out as an email with your offer attached. The offer will include your salary based on what position they're offering you and also how much they will pay you as a grad intern until you become licensed.

I haven't heard any official cvs offers yet, but they should be out before the end of August I believe... They send it out as an email with your offer attached. The offer will include your salary based on what position they're offering you and also how much they will pay you as a grad intern until you become licensed.

thanks apex8. you mean by the end of october right ?

Members don't see this ad :)
$56.50 is pretty consistent for my region (southeast), and starting around 118k a year isn't too bad for retail in my opinion (for most areas).

Just out of curiosity, I calculated that a salary of $56.50/hour would result in a yearly income of around $108k (assuming 40hrs worked every week). Having said that, did you factor-in OT/bonuses to get the $118k number ?

Just out of curiosity, I calculated that a salary of $56.50/hour would result in a yearly income of around $108k (assuming 40hrs worked every week). Having said that, did you factor-in OT/bonuses to get the $118k number ?

I did $56.50 x 40 (hours) x 52 (weeks) to get $117,520.

a friend took a hospital job (small rural hospital 1hr away from "the city" of the area - 90k a year.

Salary: $56.50/hour
Position: FT (30 hours per week guaranteed, but I've been with this company for 5 years and I know that a new floater can usually average 45+ hours per week in extra shifts basically year round)
Accepted: yep

OP I wonder if we're classmates.

Salary: $56.50/hour
Position: FT (30 hours per week guaranteed, but I've been with this company for 5 years and I know that a new floater can usually average 45+ hours per week in extra shifts basically year round)
Accepted: yep

OP I wonder if we're classmates.
What part of Upstate NY, Albany or farther north?

Salary: $115K/yr
Company: Walgreens
Accepted: Unknown

Are some of the offers given actually in salary per year? Much easier to compare hourly rates. When I started 3 years ago i was offer 54.75/hr for a big chain in the midwest. When being hired I was told salaries were down 5% from the year before. Presently at 65.25$ as PIC

Are some of the offers given actually in salary per year? Much easier to compare hourly rates. When I started 3 years ago i was offer 54.75/hr for a big chain in the midwest. When being hired I was told salaries were down 5% from the year before. Presently at 65.25$ as PIC
The offer letter reported it as a total salary, but it works out to $55.50/hr.

Some salaries are given per year but they usually specify how many hours that is based on.

Your hourly rate increased a lot over 3 years. Good to see that our pay can increase that drastically

Some salaries are given per year but they usually specify how many hours that is based on.

Your hourly rate increased a lot over 3 years. Good to see that our pay can increase that drastically
$6 of that growth was for becoming pharmacy manager though. But I've still been happy with the yearly review raises as well.

$6 of that growth was for becoming pharmacy manager though. But I've still been happy with the yearly review raises as well.

So in general, is it pretty safe to say that a retail pharmacy manager can expect to make in the range of $130k - $140k? If you don't mind me asking, do you have the opportunity to receive yearly bonuses, work OT, etc.? Also, can I ask how many weeks of vacation you get per year? Thanks...

So in general, is it pretty safe to say that a retail pharmacy manager can expect to make in the range of $130k - $140k? If you don't mind me asking, do you have the opportunity to receive yearly bonuses, work OT, etc.? Also, can I ask how many weeks of vacation you get per year? Thanks...

yeah I would say that's pretty typical with a little bit of OT. I could work much more OT if I wanted but now that I've got an infant it's much harder/not really worth it. Personally I get 3 weeks vacation and get a larger bonus than staff

How much are yearly review raises (percent-wise or amount)? Is there a cap on how much our hourly rate can go with the yearly raises?

How much are yearly review raises (percent-wise or amount)? Is there a cap on how much our hourly rate can go with the yearly raises?

Not much, even though he/she probably had to suck up hardcore to the store manager with the parked Lexus out front.

yeah I would say that's pretty typical with a little bit of OT. I could work much more OT if I wanted but now that I've got an infant it's much harder/not really worth it. Personally I get 3 weeks vacation and get a larger bonus than staff

Thanks for the info. Just out of curiosity, do you know what the avg. hourly starting salary is for retail staff pharmacists in the southeast (I figured you might have an idea, considering your username, LOL) outside of the big cities like Atlanta and Birmingham? Thanks....

Salary: ~$58/hr
Company: One of big 3
Accepted: Yes (verbal offer only, expecting something in writing soon)

2 weeks vacation, floating for 3-4 months to start

Big 3?

There's only 2 in the game worth talking about bud.

Thanks for the info. Just out of curiosity, do you know what the avg. hourly starting salary is for retail staff pharmacists in the southeast (I figured you might have an idea, considering your username, LOL) outside of the big cities like Atlanta and Birmingham? Thanks....

I was hired 6 years ago at 55.50 for staff, make around 65 now as pic. I think the normal rate would be 56-59 to start these days. I live in a medium city (not Atlanta). I think you may see some higher rates in some of the smaller towns that are harder to find help. I know Wal-Mart just hired a PIC at 75/hr near me due to being difficult to staff

accepted at 3 locations at once?

Maruko, you ditched pharmacy and got accepted into med school?

You are quite concerned about "the oversaturation of pharmacy" by telling students not to get into or switch out of pharm, then why haven't you made the switch yourself?

Last edited by a moderator:
Salary: 120k (based on 40 hours/week)
Position: FT staff
Company: CVS
Accepted: unknown

let me know if you hear from them. i heard that its all computerized in term of the package offer from CVS, it gonna take a while for them.

Cloudyvan, have you heard anything from CVS? I know a couple of people on the east coast that have received offers this week.

Salary: $58-59/hour
Position: FT float
Company: Wags/Walmart/Kroger
Accepted: Undecided

Yes, I switched out of genuine interest for Medicine. Medicine is predicted to saturate soon due to the explosion of new schools, too, but that doesn't daunt me one bit.

You - on the other hand - are quite concerned about "the oversaturation of pharmacy" by telling students not to get into or switch out of pharm, then why haven't you made the switch yourself?
Medicine is a regulated and protected field

It will never be abused like pharmacy is

Salary: $56.40/hour
Position: FT Staff
Accepted: Yes

Cloudyvan, have you heard anything from CVS? I know a couple of people on the east coast that have received offers this week.

not yet apex8. my area is in DC, they are finalizing some paperwork and getting some approvals on the offer letters. I hope to hear back from them soon. So far, i only know NY people got it

let me know if you hear from them.
Salary: $61.50/hour
Accepted: undecided

I've heard up to $62-63 so far from classmates for California CVS offers. I hope more people share their input.

I wonder if negotiating is even an option anymore..

Salary: $64.50/hour

Salary: $64.50/hour

wish we saw those kind of rates on the east coast

Reactions: 1 users
Cali has incredibly high taxes (~9% when above 50k tax bracket) compared to most states and really high cost of living in its more desirable areas. You can use simple comparison tools online to check, but $65 an hour sounds about comparable to 50/hr to my area in Georgia.

Cali has incredibly high taxes (~9% when above 50k tax bracket) compared to most states and really high cost of living in its more desirable areas. You can use simple comparison tools online to check, but $65 an hour sounds about comparable to 50/hr to my area in Georgia.

Truth. Some places on the east coast like NYC share the same elevated COL, but the salary does not reflect it sadly.

Salary: $61.50/hour

I've heard up to $62-63 so far from classmates for California CVS offers. I hope more people share their input.

I wonder if negotiating is even an option anymore..

Same here. Northern cali to be more specific. I wonder how the other fool got 64.5/hr D=

Salary: $56.20/hour
Position: FT Staff

Same here. Northern cali to be more specific. I wonder how the other fool got 64.5/hr D=
I'm NorCal too, if you move a little out there in rural area. You get paid a little higher.