2016 Grad Intern Offers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm NorCal too, if you move a little out there in rural area. You get paid a little higher.

Oh I see.

Did your offer letter say anything about how many guaranteed hours per week? I'm not seeing that anywhere. I know some people who graduated last year and got offers from Walgreen's with only 32 guaranteed hours.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh I see.

Did your offer letter say anything about how many guaranteed hours per week? I'm not seeing that anywhere. I know some people who graduated last year and got offers from Walgreen's with only 32 guaranteed hours.

No, it didn't say it on my offer letter either. My friend who interviewed CVS at NYS said the DM told her she has 30 guaranteed hour. But she said it also depend on the DM or supervisor, her DM told her she can give her 40 hours if she wants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cloudyvan, have you heard anything from CVS? I know a couple of people on the east coast that have received offers this week.

Salary : 122K (40 hr/week) . I don't get hourly rate like Cali folks. not sure why though :(
Position: staff full time
Accepted : still thinking

Salary : 122K (40 hr/week) . I don't get hourly rate like Cali folks. not sure why though :(
Position: staff full time
Accepted : still thinking

Congrats man! no one gets the hourly rate written out. you just multiply your grad intern rate x2 and that's your hourly. I heard about the shortage in the DC area. do you have to relocate for that position?

I'm originally from the DC area and have had a few places discussing needing help there.

Love the area, but those taxes and living expenses make it almost as expensive as Cali minus the pay. That's my biggest reason for not wanting to go back home.

Reactions: 1 user
Pay: $66.50/hour
Position: full-time staff
Company: CVS
Accepted: undecided

Last edited:
Pay: $59/hour -- 20k sign-on bonus -- $1500 relocation package
Position: 32 hours with full benefits
Company: Walgreens
Accepted: Accepted

I didn't know they were still giving sign on bonuses. Curious, is this in a rural or hard-to-staff area?

Every new grad will make more money than I make. Good to know. #whatthefuh

I didn't know they were still giving sign on bonuses. Curious, is this in a rural or hard-to-staff area?

Definitely not a rural area, maybe hard to staff...

Last edited:

hole E fook.... that hourly...

that sign on bonus.... lucky man. did they say how long you have to work for them? any clause that says if you quit after 3 months you have to repay it?

Congrats on the sign-on bonus. Just out of curiosity, do you know if they mentioned anything about possibly being bumped-up to 40 hrs/week at some point?

Members don't see this ad :)

that sign on bonus.... lucky man. did they say how long you have to work for them? any clause that says if you quit after 3 months you have to repay it?

The bonus comes with a 2 year agreement of course!! So yes it has the be repaid if I quit prior to that.

Congrats on the sign-on bonus. Just out of curiosity, do you know if they mentioned anything about possibly being bumped-up to 40 hrs/week at some point?

When we talked, he did make it sound as though I was being started off with 32 hours for now. However, I have a young child so I prefer 32 vs 40 hours to spend more time with him.

Reactions: 2 users

Yeah, I was pretty shocked too; I don't have a lot of retail experience (none with CVS) and I didn't think the interview went that well. I spoke to a friend afterwards who works for CVS, she told me that they have trouble getting people to stay in this region, since it's somewhat rural compared to the rest of CA.

Yeah, I was pretty shocked too; I don't have a lot of retail experience (none with CVS) and I didn't think the interview went that well. I spoke to a friend afterwards who works for CVS, she told me that they have trouble getting people to stay in this region, since it's somewhat rural compared to the rest of CA.

any idea how much that would boil down to after taxes and such in cali? I know taxes and COL in cali are pretty high, but so is NYC but at least cali has better weather!

any idea how much that would boil down to after taxes and such in cali? I know taxes and COL in cali are pretty high, but so is NYC but at least cali has better weather!

You can expect to have about 40% taken out in taxes in California.

34 in the Midwest so how is that much different than the big cities...

If you make 120k a year a 6% difference is a lot (at least to me), that's $7.2k a year that you lose in taxes along with the higher cost of living in those areas.

I'm thinking of either going to the Midwest or back home to the DC area and the taxes back in DC and the CoL is my main deterrent. I'm currently in the southeast, if I relocate I'm going back up north unless I land a unicorn job here.

Last edited:
What's so great about cal that people would be willing to lose 40%? I feel like I have everything I need here in the midwest plus way lower cost of living.

What's so great about cal that people would be willing to lose 40%? I feel like I have everything I need here in the midwest plus way lower cost of living.

One thing I do like about working in CA are the strict labor laws, which mandate that a pharmacist (or any hourly worker) take a 30 min break during their shift.

How far north of Sac if you don't mind me asking? I live 30 miles north. I'm interning at a grocery pharmacy right now and would love to see those numbers when I graduate.

How far north of Sac if you don't mind me asking? I live 30 miles north. I'm interning at a grocery pharmacy right now and would love to see those numbers when I graduate.

The exact location isn't set yet, but they said it would be in the Chico-Redding area, which is roughly ~2 hours north of Sacramento.

The exact location isn't set yet, but they said it would be in the Chico-Redding area, which is roughly ~2 hours north of Sacramento.
Okay, I know that area very well. Chico is awesome, Redding is okay.

Okay, I know that area very well. Chico is awesome, Redding is okay.

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus when I've looked for comparisons. I'm hoping that the social scene at Chico isn't just college parties :cool:

My dad worked out in Redding for a bit, we were set to move out there but it didn't work out. He said he loved it. You're close to Mt. Shasta, not too far from Sac/San Fran and it's cheaper to live there.

Congrats man! no one gets the hourly rate written out. you just multiply your grad intern rate x2 and that's your hourly. I heard about the shortage in the DC area. do you have to relocate for that position?
yes , i have to relocate !

I'm originally from the DC area and have had a few places discussing needing help there.

Love the area, but those taxes and living expenses make it almost as expensive as Cali minus the pay. That's my biggest reason for not wanting to go back home.

i probably need your help in telling me which area is safe and affordable around DC, or outside of DC such as MD, VA

My dad worked out in Redding for a bit, we were set to move out there but it didn't work out. He said he loved it. You're close to Mt. Shasta, not too far from Sac/San Fran and it's cheaper to live there.

I do like the lower cost of living, but its farther from Sac. airport than Chico is. In my case, I won't know anyone when/if I move to either city, so that's a bit of a concern with Redding moreso than Chico, in terms of the social scene/overall friendliness of the place.

Many CVS stores in northern California are former Longs Drugs, like the two CVS locations in Redding, so at least there's no drive-thru. These two in Redding may have similar volume to the two in the Marysville/Yuba City area, which sell about 2,000-2,200 per week and do over 400 on Monday (Marysville CVS does more but it has a drive-thru so no surprise), but I never researched the Redding stores. With that kind of volume there should be pharmacist overlap (the pharmacist to fill tech ratio in CA is n to (2n - 1) where n = number of RPH), so it shouldn't be too bad (for CVS). I'm sure the controlled substance prescribing landscape in the "north state" is just wonderful like it is in the Sacramento area.

Many CVS stores in northern California are former Longs Drugs, like the two CVS locations in Redding, so at least there's no drive-thru. These two in Redding may have similar volume to the two in the Marysville/Yuba City area, which sell about 2,000-2,200 per week and do over 400 on Monday (Marysville CVS does more but it has a drive-thru so no surprise), but I never researched the Redding stores. With that kind of volume there should be pharmacist overlap (the pharmacist to fill tech ratio in CA is n to (2n - 1) where n = number of RPH), so it shouldn't be too bad (for CVS). I'm sure the controlled substance prescribing landscape in the "north state" is just wonderful like it is in the Sacramento area.

Thanks for the info! I have a buddy of mine who graduated last year, and has been working for CVS in Santa Cruz for a few months, she says it's real busy and hectic in those areas, due to short-staffing and constant turnover. For some reason, CVS has trouble getting people to stay in this little coastal town...

6% difference in taxes is ~$7200 which isn't a whole lot but that's still hard earned money that could be kept in your pocket.

Also, the other factor is the major difference in COL. I'll use upstate NY vs NYC (excluding manhattan) as a reference, since I'm familiar with the differences first-hand.

Upstate:
- typical house is ~4 bedrooms, 2 bath = $130-200k
- rent for 2 bedroom apartment ~$800
- no NY, NY withholding (saves you a bit more in taxes)
- sales tax is 8%
- food is comparable to nyc, but still ~$ cheaper than nyc

NYC:
- $200k won't even buy a studio condo. 3 bedroom house is $800k - well over a million.
- rent for a 2 bedroom apartment ~$2k
- sales tax = 8.875%
- NY, NY withholding, adds some more taxation

6% difference in taxes is ~$7200 which isn't a whole lot but that's still hard earned money

Don't say that around your techs.

Anyways what's the average pay in cal? I would imagine with the extra tax its almost the same as the midwest but with way higher costs but little difference in entertainment.

You are right on with your numbers, as I have worked in Yuba City. I am now in a small town grocery chain pharmacy (intern), and we do around 100-175/day. Just one pharmacist and two techs, but it is much nicer than the heavier chains in the area. You are also right on with the controlled substance rxs, no matter where you go, it is always the same.

Don't say that around your techs.

Anyways what's the average pay in cal? I would imagine with the extra tax its almost the same as the midwest but with way higher costs but little difference in entertainment.

I have not heard of anything lower than the high 50's, and it seems like 62-65 is about average for any non-saturated area. As you may have seen, retail is all hourly, and I have seen some pharmacists rack up the OT quick.

I have not heard of anything lower than the high 50's, and it seems like 62-65 is about average for any non-saturated area. As you may have seen, retail is all hourly, and I have seen some pharmacists rack up the OT quick.
This is not how it is out there.

So its definitely not worth it since I earn around that with lower taxes.

My district isn't considered saturated and our starting wage isn't 62-65 on average. And my company is rolling out a new initiative to make all pharmacists salary, even the floaters. And every weekly conference call the DM talks about no one getting overtime unless your salaried. There has to be serious staffing issues for an hourly pharmacist to get OT. My DM has to ask every salaried pharmacist first before asking an hourly pharmacist who would be over 40 hours to cover a shift.

Pay: $117,000
Accepted: No

Pay: $107,390
Company: Publix
Accepted: Doubtful

Pay: $117,000
Accepted: No

Pay: $107,390
Company: Publix
Accepted: Doubtful
I'm curious, why didn't you accept the first offer with CVS for Naples, Fl?

Pay: 127,920 + 15K bonus
Position: Full time staff
Accepted: Yes

Despite the terrible market, salaries haven't dropped.

At least the chains pay us well.

Despite the terrible market, salaries haven't dropped.

At least the chains pay us well.

Well, they have seemed stagnant. They might not have gone down, but as inflation goes up if wages don't as well then in the grand scheme of things they are going down because the dollar amount has less wealth.

Well, they have seemed stagnant. They might not have gone down, but as inflation goes up if wages don't as well then in the grand scheme of things they are going down because the dollar amount has less wealth.

Glad to see someone has a brain.

Reactions: 1 users