2017-18 Bryn Mawr/Goucher/JHU Post Bacc Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDP1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am interested in applying to a Pre Med Post bacc program at either Bryn Mawr, Goucher, or JHU. I am well aware of the fact that these programs are very competitive to get into. That being said, my biggest concern would be my low standardized test scores. Before I go in depth, I would like to mention that I am about to graduate from University of Virginia with a cumulative GPA of 3.65, with a degree in History. Prior to attending UVA, I attended a community college and maintained a 4.0 GPA. I've taken the SAT and received a 1340 (Old SAT)/ 1010 (New SAT) back in 2012.

Although some of you are wondering how I was accepted to UVA with my previous score, I was able to demonstrate a positive trajectory throughout community college and had a very compelling application at the time. While taking the SAT back in 2012, I experienced a difficult family circumstance and fortunately made it through.

During my undergraduate years, I volunteered for my many non profit organizations and completed multiple community service based trips in different countries across the world. All in all, I feel that I would have a competitive application, with the exception of my test scores. I plan on the taking the GRE as a replacement, however I'd like to know what my chances of being admitted are, WITHOUT taking the GRE? Nonetheless, I would sincerely appreciate anyone's input regarding the matter.

Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

The benefit of doing a structured post-bac program would be to take advantage of the advising and linkage opportunities afforded by places like Bryn Mawr and JHU.

That said, before these competitive post-bacs decide to you on, you need to demonstrate good test taking ability, as the MCAT is one of the most important aspects of your application. Your SATs are now several years old and you are probably a different person now, so if you manage to do well on the GREs, it goes a long way in showing that you are equipped to potentially handle the MCAT.

The benefit of doing a structured post-bac program would be to take advantage of the advising and linkage opportunities afforded by places like Bryn Mawr and JHU.

That said, before these competitive post-bacs decide to you on, you need to demonstrate good test taking ability, as the MCAT is one of the most important aspects of your application. Your SATs are now several years old and you are probably a different person now, so if you manage to do well on the GREs, it goes a long way in showing that you are equipped to potentially handle the MCAT.

But if you have a high GPA and not so good standardized test scores, do you immediately get eliminated or do you still have a chance?