2017 - 2018 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Gbabinsky19 My thoughts are that programs don't know how to evaluate the COMLEX score that well yet. I imagine it would be hard for those evaluating your app and that 600+ person mentioned. Easy for us to do however. Might just take some time.

Nah, Anesthesia has been DO friendly for ... a few decades? They just want an even playing ground. And they should, because COMLEX is a joke.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Aside from a formal letter of intent to your #1 informing them they're at the top of your ROL, not sure any correspondence at this stage in the game will mean anything. Assuming you sent a nice thank you note expressing interest post-interview, I would forgo another one. Just my two cents.

I agree with this, send a love letter to your #1 and leave everyone else alone. Definitely don't tell multiple programs that they are your #1, it's a smaller community than you realize and all the PD's know each other. You could easily get caught playing this game, just not worth it since the potential benefit is so small. Don't be a bridge burner.

For what it's worth, many people that interview applicants have told me that the thank you's and love letters don't influence their final decision.

Guys, random segway but I'm an M3 currently interested in Anesthesia. 233 Step 1 first try with mix of high pass/honors (one pass in peds) for third year grades. Late decider to Anesthesia though I have some pulm research (2 abstracts, one poster at ATS). No step 2 yet.

Red flag = took a year off for research (truth is it wasn't entirely for research partially family issues, partially wanted to couples match with my GF). Idk how I am going to spin this yet but I have some ideas. My dean said he will put in the dean's letter the year was for research.

I do want to couples match.

What are some programs that you all think would be receptive to this kind of app? Thank you so much for taking the time to read this! Good luck to everyone for match day!

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, random segway but I'm an M3 currently interested in Anesthesia. 233 Step 1 first try with mix of high pass/honors (one pass in peds) for third year grades. Late decider to Anesthesia though I have some pulm research (2 abstracts, one poster at ATS). No step 2 yet.

Red flag = took a year off for research (truth is it wasn't entirely for research partially family issues, partially wanted to couples match with my GF). Idk how I am going to spin this yet but I have some ideas. My dean said he will put in the dean's letter the year was for research.

What are some programs that you all think would be receptive to this kind of app? Thank you so much for taking the time to read this! Good luck to everyone for match day!

There is no "red flag" if your Dean states the year was for research. Now, what region of the USA are you interested in?

Red flag = took a year off for research (truth is it wasn't entirely for research partially family issues, partially wanted to couples match with my GF...

Agree completely w above that this won’t be a red flag at all esp if you’re calling it a research year. What is the other person in your couple doing? Big difference if it’s plastics/derm vs FP!

research year is not a red flag
couples matching is 100% legit... not a red flag, at all. You HAVE to be aligned if you don't want to do long distance and if you two are in different years.

You do not have any red flag.

Agree completely w above that this won’t be a red flag at all esp if you’re calling it a research year. What is the other person in your couple doing? Big difference if it’s plastics/derm vs FP!

Thank you so much for the quick response! She wants to do Neurology. She should be a competitive applicant for it as well!

I'm thinking a mix of east coast + midwest and possibly Texas. Any location with lots of programs present (NYC, Philly, Boston, DC/Maryland/Virginia metro area, Florida).

research year is not a red flag
couples matching is 100% legit... not a red flag, at all. You HAVE to be aligned if you don't want to do long distance and if you two are in different years.

You do not have any red flag.

I am applying anesthesia this year and I agree with the above. Not really a red flag; however, some programs might put it together when they realize you took off a year and are couples matching. They may ask you if you did take a year off for that reason. Still, probably not a big deal, but I would think of a well articulated response if they put 2 and 2 together. Don't stress about this now, like I probably would--focus on 3rd year. Good luck.

question for y'all: Is it common to receive a response to a love letter, telling a program they are my #1? I mailed mine relatively early and haven't heard a response. It's still early february so maybe I'm just getting antsy?

question for y'all: Is it common to receive a response to a love letter, telling a program they are my #1? I mailed mine relatively early and haven't heard a response. It's still early february so maybe I'm just getting antsy?

No. Would also not take letters seriously. I know several people get letters from programs saying they really enjoyed it and will rank them highly and the applicant not get matched there.

All you can do is sit back and relax as best you can. Some will send a note back, some don't. Some will say you're number 1 (when you're number 50) and some won't (when you're actually number 1). You'll drive yourself batty trying to dissect each word of an e-mail response, I remember doing it myself.

Reactions: 1 users
All you can do is sit back and relax as best you can. Some will send a note back, some don't. Some will say you're number 1 (when you're number 50) and some won't (when you're actually number 1). You'll drive yourself batty trying to dissect each word of an e-mail response, I remember doing it myself.

Thank you. I'm gonna try to stay sane the next 1.5 months. This is gonna be hard.

Just got an email from a PD saying I was ranked in their top 10. They take 10 residents per year. She said, “you have a spot in our program if you want to come here.” Id like to think that only me and nine other applicants got this letter, but I can’t be sure. I ranked the program #2 but the letter didn’t influence that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email from a PD saying I was ranked in their top 10. They take 10 residents per year. She said, “you have a spot in our program if you want to come here.” Id like to think that only me and nine other applicants got this letter, but I can’t be sure. I ranked the program #2 but the letter didn’t influence that.

Either you are or you arent. Who cares?

Either you are or you arent. Who cares?
For what it's worth (not much), I sent a love letter to the PD at my number 1, got a response that led me to believe I would match there. I did, but I was still a nervous wreck on match day until I opened that envelope.

Try not to read too much into these rank list communications. There are no guarantees and there are plenty of stories about match day surprises. That's the fun of it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using SDN mobile

Does anyone know if I were to do an AOA traditional rotating internship and then move on to my advanced ACGME anesthesia residency if that is allowed or will only doing an ACGME transitional/prelim med/prelim surgery be accepted? Thanks

Does anyone know if I were to do an AOA traditional rotating internship and then move on to my advanced ACGME anesthesia residency if that is allowed or will only doing an ACGME transitional/prelim med/prelim surgery be accepted? Thanks

Maybe someone can answer this better. My experience is that you need to call the gas program you are interested in and ask.

ACGME requires you complete an ACGME intern year (I believe).

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone remember the average work day hours (not on call) for U Florida Gainsville and for U Iowa?

Hey guys, new to the gas game, can anyone shed some light on the Chicago programs (Cook, UIC, NW, UChicago, Rush, Masonic, Loyola) ? I would love to match into one of them but I can't find much up to date info on these programs in these threads. Specifically interested in what each program looks for in an applicant (average step, research, LOR, etc), resident sentiment at each program, research opportunities, which sub-specialty fields they are strong at, average work week hours, any game-changing recent news about the program-- all the stuff they basically won't publish on their site. Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, new to the gas game, can anyone shed some light on the Chicago programs (Cook, UIC, NW, UChicago, Rush, Masonic, Loyola) ? I would love to match into one of them but I can't find much up to date info on these programs in these threads. Specifically interested in what each program looks for in an applicant (average step, research, LOR, etc), resident sentiment at each program, research opportunities, which sub-specialty fields they are strong at, average work week hours, any game-changing recent news about the program-- all the stuff they basically won't publish on their site. Thanks in advance.
1-check out the spreadsheet associated with this and the last few interview seasons for good feedback that people put in after interviews.

2-Search the Anesthesia forums for each program individually, including abbreviations and city.

3-look at FREIDA and maybe doximity

Hey guys, new to the gas game...

PSA for you new kids on the block: we actually don't call it gas. ;)

Agree with what everyone has said on here so far: rank the programs in descending order, starting with the program you'd be most excited to see written on your NRMP sheet and ending with the least. Then go start building up your alcohol tolerance and catching up on sleep. The real work is about to begin.

PSA for you new kids on the block: we actually don't call it gas. ;)

Agree with what everyone has said on here so far: rank the programs in descending order, starting with the program you'd be most excited to see written on your NRMP sheet and ending with the least. Then go start building up your alcohol tolerance and catching up on sleep. The real work is about to begin.
Definitely called gas where I am. And the surrounding programsp

Hey what's up everyone,

I’m a current M3 planning on going into anesthesiology. Wanted to see what people’s thoughts were on how competitive I am for Cali programs, and maybe some suggestions on programs I should look at based on stats.

Unranked Midwest MD School
Step 1 239
Grades- Pass M1/M2, Pass M3 so far (3rd year is Pass/Fail as well, no honors, high pass, etc)
Class Rank- Top 15%
Strong EC's- Leadership in class, community service and mission trips, highly involved in teaching M1/M2 students, medical education research
Strong LOR’s from anesthesia department chair, IM, ICU, and EM

Dumb question: How do you know how may spots a program has for categorical vs advanced?
ie. UPMC didn't have it on their website.

The quantity of various spots can be seen after logging into the NRMP site. From the menu, select Options, Program Directory, and then make your choices to find the desired info.

Wish I knew this source earlier, but it's better late than never! Note the status; some may be "withdrawn."

This seems to show the most current data out there.

I recently received an email from a program director at a program that has not made a final decision on my application yet but told me they really thought I had a great application (At this point in the season a decline). Instead they told me to put one of their satellite programs on my ROL because they will be ranking me very high.

The program is in Ocala Florida and it's a pretty new program. Has anyone come across anything like this before?

I recently received an email from a program director at a program that has not made a final decision on my application yet but told me they really thought I had a great application (At this point in the season a decline). Instead they told me to put one of their satellite programs on my ROL because they will be ranking me very high.

The program is in Ocala Florida and it's a pretty new program. Has anyone come across anything like this before?

I'm a little confused. Did you interview at this program, or its satellite?

Sounds like bull****

Got a ranked to match letter this week from one of my top programs. Maybe I'll be able to grab a damn spot after all.

What, Ocala Regional has a residency program? What’s it affiliated with, Orlando/UCF (to my knowledge, doesn’t have an anesthesiology program either!) It’s an HCA hospital so no way it’s affiliated with either UF program neither of which really struggle for exposure.

Anything of consequence or serious pathology gets sent immediately up to the main academic center in Gainesville, except trauma (they’re a Level 2 center). There are many more established, credible community based programs out there -I wouldn’t touch this one unless you are truly desperate, what does that say that they are planning to rank you without even interviewing you?

Gosh, quick google search revealed this: UCF/HCA Consortium Announces New Anesthesiology Residency - UCF News - University of Central Florida Articles - Orlando, FL News

Don’t be the Guinea pig here, pass.

Sounds like they're worried they won't fill all the spots at the new satellite program and they're trolling for bodies.

Is there a source to include number of position per program? (even the break down of categorical vs advanced?)

This is the email I got... sent on Feb 1:
"i just want to take a moment to inform you that an anesthesioa resdiency program in ocala florida received ACGME accreditation to start for the 2018-2019 academic year... sponsored by UCF/GME based out of our HCA hospital. Will be accepting candidate for CA1 July 1 2018 and 2019. 9 per year."

Aka... they were late to the party and didn't even start interviewing in February and will likely be doing skype interviews in hoping of filling their spots. I'd avoid it though.

Is there a source to include number of position per program? (even the break down of categorical vs advanced?)

The NRMP. Look at previous year match data. If you have access to the R3 system you can also search for current year info.

Everyone is ranked to match. Unless you aren't on their rank list.

Well, I think you're probably aware of what I mean and just being pedantic. Being ranked to match means if a program has 15 spots, you're ranked in the top 15. Again, I know that you know this, but others out there might not.

Well, I think you're probably aware of what I mean and just being pedantic. Being ranked to match means if a program has 15 spots, you're ranked in the top 15. Again, I know that you know this, but others out there might not.

No it doesn't. Also who cares? Nothing matters except what the letter says on match day.

This is the email I got... sent on Feb 1:
"i just want to take a moment to inform you that an anesthesioa resdiency program in ocala florida received ACGME accreditation to start for the 2018-2019 academic year... sponsored by UCF/GME based out of our HCA hospital. Will be accepting candidate for CA1 July 1 2018 and 2019. 9 per year."

Aka... they were late to the party and didn't even start interviewing in February and will likely be doing skype interviews in hoping of filling their spots. I'd avoid it though.
I bet they scramble (or SOAP, I guess it is called now) for 8 of their 9 spots.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

I agree with @Psai though I understand your disagreement. While your definition of “ranked to match” is a correct and commonly held one, you need to keep in mind that different programs bend the phrase a bit to imply one thing when they mean another. For example, a program might say “ranked to match”, leading you to believe you’re in their top 15 (of 15 spots), while in reality you are ranked at a position that, based on their historical average, will likely result in you matching there. A program that over the last 10 years has had to drop to rank 200 to fill their 15 spots could be sending “ranked to match” emails to 200 people in the hope of swaying a few applicants to rank them higher. So Psai is right- at the end of the day all that matters is what is written on the paper on match day.

So I will reiterate: rank the programs from the one you’re most excited about to the least. That’s the best and only way to maximize your chances of a happy match day.

I agree with @Psai though I understand your disagreement. While your definition of “ranked to match” is a correct and commonly held one, you need to keep in mind that different programs bend the phrase a bit to imply one thing when they mean another. For example, a program might say “ranked to match”, leading you to believe you’re in their top 15 (of 15 spots), while in reality you are ranked at a position that, based on their historical average, will likely result in you matching there. A program that over the last 10 years has had to drop to rank 200 to fill their 15 spots could be sending “ranked to match” emails to 200 people in the hope of swaying a few applicants to rank them higher. So Psai is right- at the end of the day all that matters is what is written on the paper on match day.

So I will reiterate: rank the programs from the one you’re most excited about to the least. That’s the best and only way to maximize your chances of a happy match day.

Very common, and it’s definitelynot standardized. As a specific example, we sent “interest” email follow ups to our top 40 or so on our rank list for 20-25 spots.

The same is true in many fellowships as well.

Very common, and it’s definitelynot standardized. As a specific example, we sent “interest” email follow ups to our top 40 or so on our rank list for 20-25 spots.

The same is true in many fellowships as well.

Yep I agree and this will not bump them from my #2 spot.

However, Psai, the PD called me and confirmed I'm top 5 in a program with 15 spots. And who cares? I care. The guy that hasn't matched into residency yet cares very much.

...the PD called me and confirmed I'm top 5 in a program with 15 spots.

That’s great (really, it is), but what people are trying to make sure you, and the other applicants that will read this thread this season and maybe the next few seasons to come, understand is whether or not you stay in the top 5 *may* depend on how you reacted to that information when he/she communicated it to you.

Yep I agree and this will not bump them from my #2 spot.

However, Psai, the PD called me and confirmed I'm top 5 in a program with 15 spots. And who cares? I care. The guy that hasn't matched into residency yet cares very much.

Why would he do that? Why not just congratulate you when you match to their program? Stop and think about that for a second.

Why would he do that? Why not just congratulate you when you match to their program? Stop and think about that for a second.

Schools call to try and convince you to rank them higher because they assume us med students don't know that the match favors the students.

Schools call to try and convince you to rank them higher because they assume us med students don't know that the match favors the students.

In some cases I'm sorry to say that the schools are correct and med students don't know how the match works. I remember explaining to some of my classmates how it was best to rank our top programs first even if we thought we'd get rejected, and there was no way to game the system. I don't recall any great effort from my med school to teach us how to properly set up a rank order list.