2017 - 2018 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm in this application cycle too, so I really can't offer advice since this is all new to me as well. If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? How many programs did you apply? How many interviews do you have? Have you had success with sending out LOI? Are you DO or MD? Good luck, mate

MD with average/slightly above average board scores. I applied to about 50 programs. I have 5 interviews. I sent out some LOI about two weeks ago but haven’t heard back.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

MD with average/slightly above average board scores. I applied to about 50 programs. I have 5 interviews. I sent out some LOI about two weeks ago but haven’t heard back.

Sending your application out to 50 programs really should return more than 5 interviews. Are you a FMG? Any red flags or other deficiencies on your application?

Also, there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to how programs send out invites. I have received invites from programs all across the rankings, but also haven't heard anything from a lot of low-mid tier programs.

Sending your application out to 50 programs really should return more than 5 interviews. Are you a FMG? Any red flags or other deficiencies on your application?

Also, there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to how programs send out invites. I have received invites from programs all across the rankings, but also haven't heard anything from a lot of low-mid tier programs.

Not a FMG and no red flags that I am aware of. The odd thing is that all of my interviews are at reach schools with 2 being in top 10 programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a MD from the US with average to above average stats, your situation doesn't make much sense. I'm sure you've done this, but I would double check your application to make sure everything is in order. As stated above, definitely seems like you should have more than 5 interviews assuming you applied to some low/mid tier programs. I'd send out a few more LOI if I were in your situation, can't hurt. To say you're frustrated is probably an understatement. However, at the end of the day you still have 5 interviews, and if you rank them all and interview well I'm sure you'll match.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey,
Anybody signed up for JHU Anesthesiology interview (on Thalamus) that wouldn't mind swapping for an interview on 01/23? There's no downside, this was just the only date available, but is extremely inconvenient for me.

Hey,
Anybody signed up for JHU Anesthesiology interview (on Thalamus) that wouldn't mind swapping for an interview on 01/23? There's no downside, this was just the only date available, but is extremely inconvenient for me.
I would! I currently have 12/5.

I feel like I'm striking out on all of my interviews. I practiced beforehand, got all my questions answers looked at by people who know WTF they're doing, and I still come out thinking that I'm not going to match at my top choices (2 of which are pretty low tier all things considered) because I'm doing so poorly.

Reactions: 1 user
It's an exciting time for all of you. I remember mine like it was yesterday. Best of luck to all of you.

@The Duck Knows , or anyone else that has control of the google doc.

You should open a section for the current, or recent past residents to comment on certain programs, anonymously. Use objective measures like experience in subspecialities: Peds, OB, Neuro, CT, Pain. Average hours worked. Average ITE percentiles. Political environment.

I know many posters will be happy to chime in anonymously and the info obatined this way is much better than "put on our best face on interview day" info.

PM me if this is implemented.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I feel like I'm striking out on all of my interviews. I practiced beforehand, got all my questions answers looked at by people who know WTF they're doing, and I still come out thinking that I'm not going to match at my top choices (2 of which are pretty low tier all things considered) because I'm doing so poorly.

Relax, we all have terrible social skills. That's why we want to interact with patients mainly when they're asleep. If we were all warm and fuzzy we'd be over in Pediatrics eating the free cupcakes.

Relax, we all have terrible social skills. That's why we want to interact with patients mainly when they're asleep. If we were all warm and fuzzy we'd be over in Pediatrics eating the free cupcakes.

I have fantastic bedside manner (seriously) and did well in peds.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel you.

I feel soooo awkward at these interviews.

I feel you.

I feel soooo awkward at these interviews.
First interview today, feel ******ed. "so why do you want to do a surgery prelim year?" me: wooow, didn't see that one coming. Improvised something terrible. Tip: don't think you will prepare for an interview the night before the interview after 24 hours of travelling.

Last edited:
First interview today, feel ******ed. "so why do you want to do a surgery prelim year?" me: wooow, didn't see that one coming. Improvised something terrible. Tip: don't think you will prepare for an interview the night before the interview after 24 hours of travelling.

"Because **** you that's why"

Reactions: 1 users

"Because you cheap losers don't offer enough categorical spots."

Reactions: 8 users
Hmm since I brought up that question.... should the answer always at least mention (for anything but path or radiology): "I like people" or something along the lines? I find it to be super cliche and generic, but maybe it is one of those things interviewers always look for anyways. I have been told I should say that so many times.

University of Illinois College of Medicine
rejection today, and Montefiore Medical Center/Einstein College of Medicine a few days ago, oh, and a min ago, Maimonides Medical Center. Wow.... their loss :)

So how many more interview invites can we realistically expect at this point? I have 10 interviews so far and also on 3 wait-lists.

FYI- I emailed 3 programs about a possible interview. Basically, stated my reasons and said I would be on the next plane out if they had any late cancellations. Got 2 invites and 1 rejection. 2 out of 3 aint bad- I'd take those odds to Vegas any day... :)

Reactions: 4 users
Any word if UCSF provides hotel night before or nah?

Hey friends, have only heard amazing things about OHSU. However I'm super burnt out from travels and don't want to spend the $700 worth of flights/hotel and 14hrs flying for it anymore.
I'll be cancelling my Jan 3 date. Good luck to y'all who want to go there!

Recent graduate from UT Health Science Center at San Antonio (UTHSCSA) - just a forewarning to people applying. Program is crumbling. Multiple staff are leaving/trying to leave. No to minimal resident advocacy. People performing terrible on training exams (multiple people failing the basic exam each year). Don't go there unless you're out of options.
The lack of resident advocacy was something I knew about, but the training exam information is new. On interview day, the chair made a point of how they score well above the national average on boards and that they have 5 board examiners on faculty. I find it hard to believe that he was just lying through his teeth.

Hey friends, have only heard amazing things about OHSU. However I'm super burnt out from travels and don't want to spend the $700 worth of flights/hotel and 14hrs flying for it anymore.
I'll be cancelling my Jan 3 date. Good luck to y'all who want to go there!

And you just couldn’t wait to get on here to brag about cancelling a top 5 anesthesia program interview? You, sir, are an #%*hole...

Don't be too hard on the guy. It was a humblebrag, but at least he cancelled the interview and let someone else take it. I hope a few more people do the same, because I'm still real short on interviews.

Lmao they rejected you twice
Now a program that previously sent me an interview sent me a generic rejection... This keeps getting better and better.

Definitely well regarded. Top whatever is a stupid game to play. Every program has strengths and weaknesses. Of course, my program is second to none.

Only because they managed to draft you in the first round, my friend...

"MDANESTHESIA101 said:
Recent graduate from UT Health Science Center at San Antonio (UTHSCSA) - just a forewarning to people applying. Program is crumbling. Multiple staff are leaving/trying to leave. No to minimal resident advocacy. People performing terrible on training exams (multiple people failing the basic exam each year). Don't go there unless you're out of options."

Opinion from an insider calling bull****:

This program is improving and on the upidy up. I have a lot of friends that are anes residents in texas and we talk. From such, i deduce that UTHSCSA is one of the best, if not the best, programs in Texas. (cue winning special olympics joke)

Let me break down the quoted comment:
-Program is crumbling: his is utter and complete bull****. This program is going strong, the CA-2 class is one of the strongest classes in years.
Multiple staff are leaving/trying to leave: yeah duh, academia doesn't pay enough. People sometimes switch jobs.
I will never call out anyone, but the staff that have left have only improved the program. (one of the good ones left because husband switched residencies). The good ones leaving are moving on to greener pastures and family reasons. Either way, i don't see how every day business or normal transitions = program crumbling. There isn't a mass exodus or anything...
-The new hires are amazing: Every new higher brings a different persepctive and something new we can learn. Great for breadth of different ideas. One columbia-trained (residency and CC fellowship trained) that I look up to and try to learn as much from as possible before the attending realizes what a crappy deal it is to work here and leaves.

-No to minimal resident advocacy: I really don't know what defines "resident advocacy". Objectively we work way below the 80hr/week rule (never really close to 80 hours ever average Intern: 50-60s, CA-1: 60-70s, CA2-45-50s, CA-3: 50s mostly). Up until her retirement a few months ago, our vice chair was in charge of ACGME for the whole medical center. Our resident work condition/pay is the envy of the other specialties in the hospital. I can for sure tell you our working conditions, attending/resident relations, call burden is leagues better than UTSW and UT Houston. After talking to graduates and current residents of the other programs and other specialties, our resident advocacy seems above and beyond. The supportive staff is amazing. There is a wall of baby pictures from all the residents in the program office when you interview here. That told me tons about what is important and what the program valued. The only other picture wall i've seen is attending kid pictures at UTSW (believe me, i looked because i'm a huge sucker for baby pictures).

Our program director has a philosophy that is resident-centric. He leads by example, gives us a glimpse of views from down range (ex-military), and a great guy that I would love to just shoot the **** with if given the opportunity. He believes in carrots rather than sticks. That to me defines resident advocacy. Your boss rather reward good behavior than to punish bad ones. he's not punitive and positively re-inforce good behavior. I can name plenty of stories that shows he sees from the point of view of the resident first, but that'd be too long of a paragraph.

-People performing terrible on training exams:
This is your education. If you didnt take ownership of that in undergrad or med school, i think it's time that you learned that residency. My view is that not passing exams are on the resident, not the program. speically given the work hours listed above.
Our residency is also made up of a lot of people with family and extra-work obligations. An ITE score isn't a fair way to judge a program. The final judge should be board pass rate at the end of residency, ours is high. I believe one of the higest in texas when I interviewed here. That coupled with a low attrition rate (believe me, the program tries to do everything possible NOT to attrit) is what anyone should really look at.
My class's ITE percentile average is around 50%. Here are the breakdown of some of the top percentiles in my class: 92%ile, 87%ile, 83%ile, 72%ile, 72%ile, 72%ile. (i might be a few percentiles off, quoting from memory here but you get the idea). So obviously there is great learning and teaching happening here, the distribution is just bimodal.

This place wasn't my top choice when I ranked it (dad was sick and wanted to match closer to home), but if i had my rank list again, it's going #1. I also laugh at viewing this program as a last resort program, believe me, you could do a lot worse in texas.

There is a selection bias on smear posts - only the ones with extreme hate will post them. you rarely see someone go on SDN and make an throwaway just to say good things about a program. If we really want to compare programs objectively, we should name and compare things like we did this thread. Furthermore, I come from a defensive position in trying to disprove that this is a bad residency. In future posts about my program, i'm going to be talking from a view of this is the best program in texas, but with minor critiques.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
"MDANESTHESIA101 said:

Opinion from an insider calling bull****:

Thank you for taking the time to let us know what the program is actually like. These threads with a disgruntled resident or a med student looking to discourage others from applying always seem to end up the same, with the actual residents coming to the defense of the program.

If you interviewed at Toledo, please PM me.

Interviewed at University of Oklahoma. They have a pretty slick intern year- probably the best in the country. Should I rank a program high just based off of that? How brutal are other intern years? I also interviewed with 3 prelim surgery programs for the advanced track programs on my list. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Interviewed at University of Oklahoma. They have a pretty slick intern year- probably the best in the country. Should I rank a program high just based off of that? How brutal are other intern years? I also interviewed with 3 prelim surgery programs for the advanced track programs on my list. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

I rotated and interviewed there, they do have an excellent intern year. The intern year should be a factor when ranking, but based on your own preferences. I would focus more on the categorical years when determining rank order. I think their program is pretty good overall. The residents seemed clinically strong and are cool/friendly for the most part. The negatives about the program I heard the most about were the lowish number of cardiac cases and high attending turnover. Their workload is around 60 hrs/wk. Attendings are nice, willing to teach. Not didactic heavy. All the residents I talked to were happy doing their residency at OU. Don't have much moonlighting opportunity. PM me if there is anything else I can tell you about the program.

Are you doing a residency in intern year or anesthesiology?

Pick the best residency. Nobody cares about intern year

Reactions: 10 users
Kind of worried about matching advanced, because I only have 1 II for a prelim medicine spot. In such an event, will I statistically be able to SOAP into a pre lim surg spot at least?

Kind of worried about matching advanced, because I only have 1 II for a prelim medicine spot. In such an event, will I statistically be able to SOAP into a pre lim surg spot at least?

Depends on the institution, I would check with your home institution. My med school saved prelim spots for home institution students that didn't match or need a spot. The surgery residency at my current institution basically use prelim surg interns as slave labor.

Either way you shouldn't have problem finding a spot to be an underpaid laborer for a year, just a question of how malig that year turns out.

did NOT know post-interview pre-match day rejections were a thing! i figured if they didnt want you after an interviews then you just werent ranked, not e-rejected! :yeahright:

as an aside, ive seen that prelim invites are also starting to pick up some, if you guys are checkin for those (with my cautionary n=1 data).

it's not a thing. I remember receiving one of those emails (from MCW)... they were sent out in error (called and confirmed). FYI.

I'm at the point where I'm positive I won't match because my personality is terrible.

I'm at the point where I'm positive I won't match because my personality is terrible.

Last year less than 1% of all the U.S. MDs who ranked gas as their only choice didn't match. Most likely half of those unlucky seven students ended up finding spots in SOAP or will match to an advanced program this year after doing a prelim year so it worked out all right for them in the end. As long as your patients can stand to be around you when they're asleep you'll probably be fine.

current M3 here. when do you all suggest taking step 2 during 4th year? I did well on step 1 (255+) and I've been getting conflicting advice on when to take it.

Last edited:
current M3 here. when do you all suggest taking step 2 during 4th year? I did well on step 1 (255+) and I've been getting conflicting advice on when to take it.
I took it early, and felt wonderful getting it done around July. It just depends on what you want, you seem like a strong student who will do well whenever you take it if you study. I don't know if my score actually helped me get that many more anesthesia interviews compared to someone who didn't take it as early.

I took it early, and felt wonderful getting it done around July. It just depends on what you want, you seem like a strong student who will do well whenever you take it if you study. I don't know if my score actually helped me get that many more anesthesia interviews compared to someone who didn't take it as early.

Agree with the above. I took CK in June and it was great to have it over and done with, but you will do fine regardless of when you take it. I really doubt that having the step 2 score will make a huge difference in interview invites, especially when you've already set such a solid step 1 score.