2017 - 2018 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Agree with the above. I took CK in June and it was great to have it over and done with, but you will do fine regardless of when you take it. I really doubt that having the step 2 score will make a huge difference in interview invites, especially when you've already set such a solid step 1 score.
I'm just worried of having a drop in my score with Step 2 and having it end up hurting me if I take it early

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just worried of having a drop in my score with Step 2 and having it end up hurting me if I take it early

Fair concern. I was within a couple of points of your Step 1 score and also took super early (May). I only scored 4 points higher on Step 2 than I did on Step 1. This is actually a fairly dramatic decline on a percentile basis and I was worried, but I'm certain now that it didn't hurt me any. A ~90th percentile Step 1 is all the evidence that a PD needs of your horsepower, provided you don't completely **** the bed on Step 2.

And for as surprisingly difficult as my Step 2 form was, there's really no way to screw up the exam, provided you've stayed on top of shelves and can get through UWORLD 2x.

I enjoyed having it done. When that score came in, I was basically done with med school. Felt good.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a just above average Step 1, and dropped a few points for Step 2. Doesn't seem to have affected me much. I got interview invites at almost half of the programs I applied to.

I strongly suggest taking it early. You'll presumably be doing some anesthesia rotations early in MS4, and you don't really want to be very distracted from those with CK studying.

Just get it over with. If you did well on your shelf exams, you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll take it early then, thank you all for the advice

I personally took it in September. This way the scores came back in October and I could put it in my eras and update the schools I was still waiting on (as a check my status plus hey, look my ck was updated)... but also waited enough that if I didn't do so well, I didn't have to update eras.

255+ for step 1 is good. I doubt they would care unless you got sub240.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For those who are/have interviewed, any comments on Midwest and/or southwest programs? Finding information on programs is a lot tougher than just looking up FREIDA info.

Guys, all cards on the table.

DO student, 3rd/4th quartile.
Step 1- 233
Step 2- 231
COMLEX PE- 1 failure reported on ERAS

I only got 5 interview invites. Only one of them was not from an audition rotation, one of those invites that got sent out the very first day of the cycle.

What’s going on here? I’m working on the PE, but I’m less sure that this was the black mark that tanked my invites. I sent out a few emails in November to a decent mix of competitive/not competitive programs. Either no response or straight up rejections.

My dean said he didn’t remember any bad things on my dean’s letter. We weren’t allowed to see the letter if we weren’t there in person...

The only thing I can think of is that I didn’t have anesthesia letters in until October/November...

What would you do in my position? I applied to ~70 programs. Should I just start emailing everyone? Should I straight up ask a program if there was something caustic in my application?

I should note that my next PE is on Feb 1st. Almost certainly won’t have a passing score by the time programs rank.

Guys, all cards on the table.

DO student, 3rd/4th quartile.
Step 1- 233
Step 2- 231
COMLEX PE- 1 failure reported on ERAS

I only got 5 interview invites. Only one of them was not from an audition rotation, one of those invites that got sent out the very first day of the cycle.

What’s going on here? I’m working on the PE, but I’m less sure that this was the black mark that tanked my invites. I sent out a few emails in November to a decent mix of competitive/not competitive programs. Either no response or straight up rejections.

My dean said he didn’t remember any bad things on my dean’s letter. We weren’t allowed to see the letter if we weren’t there in person...

The only thing I can think of is that I didn’t have anesthesia letters in until October/November...

What would you do in my position? I applied to ~70 programs. Should I just start emailing everyone? Should I straight up ask a program if there was something caustic in my application?

I should note that my next PE is on Feb 1st. Almost certainly won’t have a passing score by the time programs rank.

A preface: none of us know why you only received 5 invites and since we don't know your whole application (letters, etc.), we can only speculate. A few things jump out: your drop from Step 1 to Step 2 represents a drop from the ~60th percentile to ~30th percentile. In addition, your PE failure and quartile rank may signal to programs that you are not as strong a test taker as the other applicants in their pool. Considering the exams that await you in residency (basic, advanced) and the oral boards (w/ OSCE components), selecting applicants that demonstrate strong performances on standardized tests is a priority for most programs. Add onto this your lack of anesthesia letters and we quickly approach the invite situation you describe.

I wouldn't ask programs if there was something caustic in your application. We already know there are some hiccups. I'm not so sure that e-mail would do much good since we are almost into January (many programs only have 1 or 2 interview days remaining). Assuming you already interviewed at your 5 programs and did well, I would think your bed is made. (obviously) rank all of them and hope you match. Best of luck!

You have a very good shot with five interviews. Sending some emails expressing interest wouldn't hurt but I wouldn't worry too much at this point.

You have a very good shot with five interviews. Sending some emails expressing interest wouldn't hurt but I wouldn't worry too much at this point.

@Reveler Agree with others. The fact that you have multiple interviews from audition sites is probably a good thing. I imagine/hope that you made a sufficiently good impression in person over the course of a full month that one of these places may look past your scores and PE failure.

Emailing for anesthesiology interviews is probably low yield at this point. Were I you, I'd be making a full-court press for a backup/temporizing plan: position yourself for a prelim medicine or surgery year (call local programs, tell them you will show up to interview if they get any cancellations, no matter how short the notice) so you do not go unmatched.

Change of subject here...

Has anyone interviewed at Boston University Medical Center (BUMC)? Thoughts? Impressions?

Third year DO student with low 240s step 1/660s comlex. Half honors (including surgery)/half high pass so far. Top quarter of class.

Starting to think about 4th year and what electives to schedule. Get conflicting advice regarding aways...can anyone give me their advice for my situation? Would love to remain in California in particular, but anywhere on west coast would be nice. If I'm being honest with myself, I'm not sure how I'd shine in a high-stakes sub-I. I'm a great shmoozer and get along well with different personalities, but the more hands on things in medicine take me a while of trial and error to get proficient at - I don't know how great I'd do at starting IV's, etc. on a sub-I.

With that in mind, how many aways should I schedule if any? Should I schedule them at my top choice and then out of region to open up additional doors possibly? i.e. east coast. Any other electives I should definitely do to help chances?

Members don't see this ad :)
Third year DO student with low 240s step 1/660s comlex. Half honors (including surgery)/half high pass so far. Top quarter of class.

Starting to think about 4th year and what electives to schedule. Get conflicting advice regarding aways...can anyone give me their advice for my situation? Would love to remain in California in particular, but anywhere on west coast would be nice. If I'm being honest with myself, I'm not sure how I'd shine in a high-stakes sub-I. I'm a great shmoozer and get along well with different personalities, but the more hands on things in medicine take me a while of trial and error to get proficient at - I don't know how great I'd do at starting IV's, etc. on a sub-I.

With that in mind, how many aways should I schedule if any? Should I schedule them at my top choice and then out of region to open up additional doors possibly? i.e. east coast. Any other electives I should definitely do to help chances?

Nice! I already think you're in great shape.

I personally think that you should do at least 2 Anesthesiology AI's on the west coast especially if that's your move. Possibly 3 or 4 if you are up for it. I really only suggest that because you are a DO. I view that as two potential automatic II's and it gives you some (maybe more of a ?) "tie" to the west coast. The bias is definitely not as strong compared to some other specialities, but it's still there in imo, so I would just do a little extra leg work. A letter from that area would probably look good too. You're ability to play well with others is probably more important that your ability to put in an IV - although it helps :) So, don't worry about that. Plus, no one is that great at the start. Read, work (at least look like) you're working hard, ask thoughtful questions, and show face. I think that will get you far.

Reactions: 1 user
Nice! I already think you're in great shape.

I personally think that you should do at least 2 Anesthesiology AI's on the west coast especially if that's your move. Possibly 3 or 4 if you are up for it. I really only suggest that because you are a DO. I view that as two potential automatic II's and it gives you some (maybe more of a ?) "tie" to the west coast. The bias is definitely not as strong compared to some other specialities, but it's still there in imo, so I would just do a little extra leg work. A letter from that area would probably look good too. You're ability to play well with others is probably more important that your ability to put in an IV - although it helps :) So, don't worry about that. Plus, no one is that great at the start. Read, work (at least look like) you're working hard, ask thoughtful questions, and show face. I think that will get you far.

Thanks so much for the advice. Just a couple quick follow up Qs...

I'm from SoCal, in med school in CA. Do I need to show more of a tie by doing aways here as well - or is it more for securing potential II? Do California programs show bias towards in state applicants and/or those with ties to the state?

My dream program (mainly bc it's smack dab in my hometown) is UCSD. I'm not sure how DO friendly they are which is a bit worrisome. Anything you think I should do during third year as it relates to a letter of interest, etc? Or just chill and hope I can get an away via VSAS?

Thanks so much for the advice. Just a couple quick follow up Qs...

I'm from SoCal, in med school in CA. Do I need to show more of a tie by doing aways here as well - or is it more for securing potential II? Do California programs show bias towards in state applicants and/or those with ties to the state?

My dream program (mainly bc it's smack dab in my hometown) is UCSD. I'm not sure how DO friendly they are which is a bit worrisome. Anything you think I should do during third year as it relates to a letter of interest, etc? Or just chill and hope I can get an away via VSAS?

It's a little bit of both. I would say I was leaning more on the potential II end. I haven't done it in a while, but I'm pretty sure most of these of schools have a pretty diverse list consisting of highly qualified MD and DO applicants. I just think the game is a little bit different for us and it's Cali, you know? Some of my buddies (DOs) have IIs at UCSD, but it's not Anesthesiology. I remember having trouble looking at the list for that. Shoot someone an email and ask. If not, why not be the first? I'm pretty sure they have tho.

Given what I think, I think you should def try to do an away at UCSD. I think there is some potential risk of course, but I also see a lot of benefit. One thing you could do is apply via VSAS and possibly send a letter of interest. They want people that want to be there, right? If you have any connection to the program, even better. Depending on how aggressive you want to be, maybe make one or reach out to someone (preferably someone you know) in the program.

It's a little bit of both. I would say I was leaning more on the potential II end. I haven't done it in a while, but I'm pretty sure most of these of schools have a pretty diverse list consisting of highly qualified MD and DO applicants. I just think the game is a little bit different for us and it's Cali, you know? Some of my buddies (DOs) have IIs at UCSD, but it's not Anesthesiology. I remember having trouble looking at the list for that. Shoot someone an email and ask. If not, why not be the first? I'm pretty sure they have tho.

Given what I think, I think you should def try to do an away at UCSD. I think there is some potential risk of course, but I also see a lot of benefit. One thing you could do is apply via VSAS and possibly send a letter of interest. They want people that want to be there, right? If you have any connection to the program, even better. Depending on how aggressive you want to be, maybe make one or reach out to someone (preferably someone you know) in the program.

Appreciate that information. Best of luck and hope match goes well for you!

Only reason I ranked OU (Oklahoma) low is because insurance was wildly expensive for a family. Otherwise, I loved everything else about it.

Edit: this was in response to some posts a while back and somehow didn't quote them.

Last edited:
Thoughts about UConn? Mostly Dr. Gross. He seems the kind of eccentric that can switch to being unkind if you screw up, which I will, because I am human. Anyone have that sense or know residents?

Thoughts about UConn? Mostly Dr. Gross. He seems the kind of eccentric that can switch to being unkind if you screw up, which I will, because I am human. Anyone have that sense or know residents?

I got that sense there as well, but the residents I spoke to seem to like him. I enjoyed my conversation with him.

I was not a big fan of him. He was immediately rude during my interview day and scolded three of us for "not following instructions" regarding the virtual reality goggles. I was not one of the three, but he said a few other things that day that made me very weary of this program. A Uconn student interviewed with me and told me that she didn't buy for one second that the residents like him as much as they let on.

I had a video interview scheduled for 1/9. Today is 1/8. I sat in the gchat for about 2 hours by myself and emailed the coordinator, chiefs, and PD. The RC replied "your interview is tomorrow, Jan 9th, Tuesday." My reply: "I guess I'm not alert and oriented x4".

I doubt they will rank me XD. So guys, chill :) at least you didn't do that.

I had a video interview scheduled for 1/9. Today is 1/8. I sat in the gchat for about 2 hours by myself and emailed the coordinator, chiefs, and PD. The RC replied "your interview is tomorrow, Jan 9th, Tuesday." My reply: "I guess I'm not alert and oriented x4".

I doubt they will rank me XD. So guys, chill :) at least you didn't do that.

It could be worse. Back when I was applying for med school I sent Campbell a very nice secondary essay on why I wanted to attend VCOM. Oddly enough they ended up being the only DO school I was qualified for that never gave me an interview invite. In my defense, Campbell plagiarized their essay prompts word for word from VCOM, so it was an easy mistake to make.

Does anyone have any idea of what programs still have interview dates left? I am very late to the process after failing to match into ophthalmology. It was suggested to me that I could try and contact programs, in order to avoid the SOAP. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have any idea of what programs still have interview dates left? I am very late to the process after failing to match into ophthalmology. It was suggested to me that I could try and contact programs, in order to avoid the SOAP. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Wow, sorry to hear that. Good luck to you.

I know oschner clinic has one in on Jan 19th. Best of luck.

For audition rotation applications is it better to only give my above average COMLEX score and/or should I include the below average USMLE score? Asking mostly for AOA programs

For audition rotation applications is it better to only give my above average COMLEX score and/or should I include the below average USMLE score? Asking mostly for AOA programs

I think you will be screened out of places without a USMLE score. I think no score would hurt you more than a below average one. I would apply to rotations that are reasonable based on your score.

I think you will be screened out of places without a USMLE score. I think no score would hurt you more than a below average one. I would apply to rotations that are reasonable based on your score.
How can we determine if a program is reasonable for our score? Do you have a good resource?

How can we determine if a program is reasonable for our score? Do you have a good resource?

Ask around (and search the forums), but also common sense. The big name University-based programs you immediately recognize get a ton of applications and will likely have USMLE cutoffs. The more community focused or smaller University programs (or satellite programs, ex: UF Jacksonville, Mt. Sinai Florida, Cleveland Clinic Arizona [I think they have a program? Idk.]) will probably be more lenient on scores.

Ask around (and search the forums), but also common sense. The big name University-based programs you immediately recognize get a ton of applications and will likely have USMLE cutoffs. The more community focused or smaller University programs (or satellite programs, ex: UF Jacksonville, Mt. Sinai Florida, Cleveland Clinic Arizona [I think they have a program? Idk.]) will probably be more lenient on scores.
Just curious because I’m new to the Anesthesia world and don’t know what are good programs if you’re sitting 215-220, decent shot at 245-255 step 2, good LORs, good clinica grades. It’s not as cut and dry as top tier or bottom tier.

Only reason I ranked OU (Oklahoma) low is because insurance was wildly expensive for a family. Otherwise, I loved everything else about it.

Edit: this was in response to some posts a while back and somehow didn't quote them.

Yeah people said that during the interview day, but when I asked for specifics nobody would give me any. Made me believe that it was so bad that they truly didn't want to talk about it. Given I have a family, there going to slip down my list for this reason (and a few others...)

Yeah people said that during the interview day, but when I asked for specifics nobody would give me any. Made me believe that it was so bad that they truly didn't want to talk about it. Given I have a family, there going to slip down my list for this reason (and a few others...)
I would suggest getting actual numbers from someone there who has a family, because I believe they changed their insurance since I interviewed there in 2016.

I remember one of the chiefs had told me he paid like $850 a month!!! But again, that has likely changed (for better or worse). You should look into it further. Or maybe email the GME office for clarification.

I would suggest getting actual numbers from someone there who has a family, because I believe they changed their insurance since I interviewed there in 2016.

I remember one of the chiefs had told me he paid like $850 a month!!! But again, that has likely changed (for better or worse). You should look into it further. Or maybe email the GME office for clarification.
I heard a similar number unfortunately....I just can't afford that.

I'll have to see if I can find the numbers, but it's not too bad. Higher than several others but definitely not anything crazy.

Hello everyone. I am a DO student interested in anesthesia who only took COMLEX. However, I got ~90th percentile and I am top 12 in my class. I will be taking level 2 in a couple months. I am wondering if anyone knows of programs that are comlex friendly? Thanks for your time!

Hello everyone. I am a DO student interested in anesthesia who only took COMLEX. However, I got ~90th percentile and I am top 12 in my class. I will be taking level 2 in a couple months. I am wondering if anyone knows of programs that are comlex friendly? Thanks for your time!

I would take the USMLE Step 1 to increase your appeal to programs. Without having a score on the USMLE Step 1, I would venture to say many programs will not even look at your application.

I don't think there are many programs that will consider you without Step scores. You can search around on program websites, but you're at a big disadvantage.

We took DOs from time to time, and some were really excellent. ALL had USMLE scores (and they needed a solid 10-15 points higher than a comparable MD applicant), but we had no idea what to do with COMLEX scores so we essentially threw them out. I thought this was true universally but apparently there are FM programs out there that don't require USMLEs per some of the other forums around here.

A few friends at DO schools applied for anesthesiology this year and all had steps. Their school highly recommended the step exams for their DO students. Obviously, you can apply to the few AOA programs that are still around, but these you can count on one hand (maybe plus 1 finger), and that number may shrink next year. Old AOA programs may still take COMLEX in place of USMLE, but you will still be at a disadvantage. If you are in the top quartile of your class, then you must be a decent test-taker. If you're serious about pursuing anesthesiology, and want to be as competitive as possible, taking Step 1 & 2 as a DO is a must. You can go fishing for advice to the contrary (and will probably find it from some folks), but that's the reality.

We took DOs from time to time, and some were really excellent. ALL had USMLE scores (and they needed a solid 10-15 points higher than a comparable MD applicant), but we had no idea what to do with COMLEX scores so we essentially threw them out. I thought this was true universally but apparently there are FM programs out there that don't require USMLEs per some of the other forums around here.
A have a few friends that applied, and matched into anesthesia with only the COMLEX, but I can tell you they submit twice as many applications as I did and got half as many interviews. Some programs that I can think of that offered interviews to them. U of Florida in Gainesville, Baylor Scott and White in Temple TX, UMKC, SLU, LSU in Shreveport, SUNY, Mizzou. That's all I've got off the top of my head.

Except for one friend who just went through the interview process with only the COMLEX. He applied to the same number as me and he got interviews to places like Mayo in Rochester, VCU, UK, and plenty of other programs with a good reputation. Granted, he had scored 99%ile on both Level 1 and Level 2 of the COMLEX.

Thoughts on thank you notes at this point in the game to programs you are interested in?

Last edited:
Thoughts on thank you notes at this point in the game to programs you are interested in?

Cannot hurt. May or may not help, but a politely written note expressing interest is never a bad thing! Just don’t tell multiple programs they’re your #1 :)

I have a friend this cycle who hit 600+ on Comlex and he applied to like 70 some programs plus some prelim programs and he has been really have a hard time with interviews.

Aside from a formal letter of intent to your #1 informing them they're at the top of your ROL, not sure any correspondence at this stage in the game will mean anything. Assuming you sent a nice thank you note expressing interest post-interview, I would forgo another one. Just my two cents.

I have a friend this cycle who hit 600+ on Comlex and he applied to like 70 some programs plus some prelim programs and he has been really have a hard time with interviews.

@Gbabinsky19 My thoughts are that programs don't know how to evaluate the COMLEX score that well yet. I imagine it would be hard for those evaluating your app and that 600+ person mentioned. Easy for us to do however. Might just take some time.

Aside from a formal letter of intent to your #1 informing them they're at the top of your ROL, not sure any correspondence at this stage in the game will mean anything. Assuming you sent a nice thank you note expressing interest post-interview, I would forgo another one. Just my two cents.

Thanks! I wasn't the most diligent with that...so maybe it wouldn't hurt?