2017 - 2018 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

repititionition

Sure!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Somebody was going to do it...

A question: which programs are known for high-quality didactics and/or simulation? I've heard about Hopkins' "College Days" but there must be other notables.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else around that's applying gas this year?

Can someone make an excel sheet like last year? I am willing to help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if the guy/girl who's run it the last few years is going to do it this year. If not, I'd be willing

if you do, please use google forms so that people can only add -- last year's had a ridiculous amount of vandalism and deletion

I was planning on doing that for the main data page. I think last year it was messed up because people sorted columns improperly. What other tabs should I use forms for? Interview Impressions? Or just all of them?

Reactions: 2 users
Looks good, man! Appreciate you taking the time to make this excel sheet.

How many programs are there? There are more than 132, no?

Looks good, man! Appreciate you taking the time to make this excel sheet.

How many programs are there? There are more than 132, no?
I'm not sure. I just copied and pasted last years. If anyone sees one that's missing, it's a quick fix.

A question: which programs are known for high-quality didactics and/or simulation? I've heard about Hopkins' "College Days" but there must be other notables.

I think it's better to just work in the or and read/listen to podcasts/look things up than have some boring lecturer drone at you while you fall asleep

Reactions: 5 users
I think it's better to just work in the or and read/listen to podcasts/look things up than have some boring lecturer drone at you while you fall asleep

Jed Wolpaw's podcast is really good to listen to.

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing that I think would be helpful is a tab for if a program offers moonlighting or not... It was a pain reading through all the IV impressions to attempt to figure out if a program has moonlighting.

One thing that I think would be helpful is a tab for if a program offers moonlighting or not... It was a pain reading through all the IV impressions to attempt to figure out if a program has moonlighting.

Yeah we could add that. Make it a bit more specific than last years.

Im curious, did anyone here apply AOA anesthesiology programs? I'm wondering if interviews have gone out yet.

Does anyone know if there are programs other than Wake Forest that absolutely require a step 2 ck score to be granted an interview?

real talk, what top programs are worth applying to if you are a completely average applicant? Just those within your own region?

So is the new Brown/RI program going to accept applicants this year?

I'm not your SDN candidate. Just a DO with below average step 1 and step 2 scores trying to match. Please be kind this match cycle. Please

Anyone applying to Hopkins actually have their letter writers fill out anesthesia SLORs? I only just noticed this on their website, and I don't want to bug my letter writers again just for this program. There's hardly any instructions about it as well. I wonder how long until SLORs become pervasive in every specialty...

http://anesthesiology.hopkinsmedicine.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/AnesthesiaSLOR.pdf

Seems like a waste of time. Hopkins isn't worth this headache

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for making this. The doc from last year has been really helpful. Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
How does one know the number of prelim IM or transitional year programs to apply to? I don't want to waste a bunch of money on the application fees and interview expenses, but also want to avoid the possibility of being forced to scramble into a prelim surgery hell year.

My
How does one know the number of prelim IM or transitional year programs to apply to? I don't want to waste a bunch of money on the application fees and interview expenses, but also want to avoid the possibility of being forced to scramble into a prelim surgery hell year.
My dean told me to apply to 20 prelim IM programs and go on 6-7 of those interviews to be safe. I have pretty average grades. If you apply to surgery prelim, you can apply to less programs and save money but have to do a surgery prelim year (which sucks)...

If i apply to categorical positions all over the midwest, what transitional places do I apply? Just match the cities? Can i apply to the TY positions after getting invites for anesthesia?

Do any programs require 4 LORs?
Just finished looking, only southwestern something (for IMGs only, otherwise 3). But I can't apply there because they want 1 year of US experience anyways. There were a couple of websites I could no open though, so there could be more.

Do any programs require 4 LORs?

None that I've found. Here are the minimum LOR requirements listed by state for just about every program that isn't Ivy League or located in California, New York City, Miami, Dallas, Chicago or Boston. Albany was the only one I saw with a maximum of 3.

Alabama At least 2
Arkansas No requirements?
Loma Linda ?
Colorado ?
U of Florida 3 letters
Medical College of Georgia 3 letters
Iowa 3 letters
Indiana 3 or 4
U of Kansas (KC) 3 letters
U of Kansas (Wichita) 3 letters, CV
U of Kentucky (Lexington) 3 letters, ERAS CV
U of Louisville 3 letters
LSU Shreveport 3 letters
Ochsner at least 3
Tulane at least 3
LSU New Orleans 3 letters
Lahey at least 3
UMMS Baystate 3 letters
U of Mass 3 letters
Maryland 2 letters
Maine 3 letters
Wayne State 3 letters
William Beaumont 3 letters
U of Michigan 3 letters
Henry Ford ?
Detroit Medical Center ?
U of Minnesota 3 letters
U of Missouri Columbia 3 letters
Washington University/ B-JH Missouri 3 letters
U of Missouri Kansas City ?
St. Louis University 3 letters
Mississippi 3 letters
U of North Carolina ?
Wake Forest 3 letters
Nebraska 3 letters
Mary Hitchcock New Hampshire 3 letters
New Mexico 3 letters
U of Rochester ?
Buffalo ?
SUNY Upstate 3 letters
Albany Medical Center Max 3, 2 must be anes
Doctors Hospital Ohio ?
Ohio State Columbus 3 letters
Cincinnati 3 letters
Case Western/Cleveland Clinic 3 letters
U of Toledo 2 letters
Case Western Metrohealth no requirement
Oklahoma no requirement
Oregon 3 letters
Geisinger Danville PA 3 letters
Penn State Hershey 3 letters
Drexel 3 letters
U of Pennsylvania ?
Thomas Jefferson 2 letters
UPMC Pittsburgh 3 letters
Temple 2 letters
Allegheny Health Pittsburgh 3 letters
South Carolina 3 letters
Tennessee Knoxville at least 3
U of Texas Galveston ?
Texas Tech Lubbock 3 letters
U of Texas San Antonio ?
Texas A&M 3 letters
Baylor minimum 3
U of Texas Houston ?
U of Utah minimum 3
U of Virginia Charlottesville 3 letters
VCU Richmond ?
Vermont at least 3
Virginia Mason Seattle minimum 3
U of Washington Seattle minimum 3
U of Wisconsin Madison ?
Medical College of Wisconsin Milwaukee 3 letters, 2 anes
West Virginia 3 letters

Probably a stupid question, but my plan was to just send 4 letters to everyone. But as it turns out, only a few programs specifically say "minimum 3 letters" or "3-4 letters." Most list "3 letters of recommendation" as an application requirement, and a few programs actually say 2 letters. Would sending 4 letters to a program that specifically says 3 letters be poor form?

Can anyone post the link to last year's spreadsheet? I'm having a hard time finding it.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Probably a stupid question, but my plan was to just send 4 letters to everyone. But as it turns out, only a few programs specifically say "minimum 3 letters" or "3-4 letters." Most list "3 letters of recommendation" as an application requirement, and a few programs actually say 2 letters. Would sending 4 letters to a program that specifically says 3 letters be poor form?

I used 4 for all the programs I applied to last cycle. Didn't seem to cause any problems.

Reactions: 2 users
Im curious, did anyone here apply AOA anesthesiology programs? I'm wondering if interviews have gone out yet.

I'm applying AOA. Sent in applications to all the AOA programs still in that match (what-7? or 8?!). Haven't heard anything from any of them. Makes me feel a little better that you seemingly haven't either!

I'm applying AOA. Sent in applications to all the AOA programs still in that match (what-7? or 8?!). Haven't heard anything from any of them. Makes me feel a little better that you seemingly haven't either!

Hey, nope I haven't heard anything yet either. I have a friend applying who heard from (dont know exactly how many) but only places he did an away yet.

I have a question for those applying.

When you're applying to preliminary IM or preliminary surgery the programs you're applying to understand that you want anesthesia, right? Do we have to change our letters or personal statement to focus more toward whichever preliminary we plan on applying to?

So if I am applying for a preliminary IM year should I have my personal statement still be directed for anesthesia or should it be for Internal Medicine? Same question applies to if I want to apply for a surgery preliminary.

When you're applying to preliminary IM or preliminary surgery the programs you're applying to understand that you want anesthesia, right? Do we have to change our letters or personal statement to focus more toward whichever preliminary we plan on applying to?

So if I am applying for a preliminary IM year should I have my personal statement still be directed for anesthesia or should it be for Internal Medicine? Same question applies to if I want to apply for a surgery preliminary.

Programs know if you're applying for preliminary or transitional years that you have goals that don't consist of surgery or IM. Therefore it isn't necessary to write a personal statement directed towards internal medicine or surgery. Both by personal statements consists of describing why I want to become an anesthesiologist. The only difference in my personal statements is the end. I state something along the lines of looking forward to training in your program to build a fundamental medical background to make me a better anesthesiologist. Blah Blah Blah, something like that. Keep it simple, try not to overthink it or over analyze it.

They all shutting down, likely will all be competitive and will favor those who did auditions.

I used the same personal statement except instead of anesthesiology I wrote "preliminary medicine year"

They all shutting down, likely will all be competitive and will favor those who did auditions.

Heavily research and investigate these few programs as all AOA programs must convert to ACGME in the next few years. If they don't have a concrete game plan in place then I'd think twice before heading there.

University of Kentucky has a great "podcast" series on YouTube. Look them up. They assign the podcasts so that actual lectures can be interactive and less of the 'just listening to someone lecture.'

I've already started obsessively checking my email :(

Is there anyone here who is privy to the workings of how a residency program operates? What happens if I wait till September 29th to apply instead of doing it on September 15th?
I am curious how your chances start to decrease with every passing day you don't apply. I did my cores here in Michigan and the associate program director told a buddy of mine not to worry because they don't even bother looking at your application until October 15th and won't even offer interviews until beginning of November. Is this common practice among a majority of programs?

Is there anyone here who is privy to the workings of how a residency program operates? What happens if I wait till September 29th to apply instead of doing it on September 15th?
I am curious how your chances start to decrease with every passing day you don't apply. I did my cores here in Michigan and the associate program director told a buddy of mine not to worry because they don't even bother looking at your application until October 15th and won't even offer interviews until beginning of November. Is this common practice among a majority of programs?

Just knuckle down and do it today. If you've already gotten your personal statement and CV done to give to LOR writers the rest of the application won't take all that long. At least send your application today to all the programs you know you definitely want to go to, and decide on the rest later. Anecdotally, one of the CA2s I just worked with switched from OB/GYN to gas and didn't apply to any anesthesiology programs until early November and still matched, but why take the risk?

Just knuckle down and do it today. If you've already gotten your personal statement and CV done to give to LOR writers the rest of the application won't take all that long. At least send your application today to all the programs you know you definitely want to go to, and decide on the rest later. Anecdotally, one of the CA2s I just worked with switched from OB/GYN to gas and didn't apply to any anesthesiology programs until early November and still matched, but why take the risk?

Right, I understand. The issue that I am facing is my STEP 2CK score doesn't come for another 2 weeks.
The application in front of me is complete in regard to CV, personal statements, LORs, etc. I just don't want to apply without that score. I want it to be 'more' complete when programs open the file.

Right, I understand. The issue that I am facing is my STEP 2CK score doesn't come for another 2 weeks.
The application in front of me is complete in regard to CV, personal statements, LORs, etc. I just don't want to apply without that score. I want it to be 'more' complete when programs open the file.
I sent my application in about 5 days late and it made no difference in the interviews I got. Two weeks is a bit long as some programs will have sent out first round interviews by then (i.e. NYU). In my experience most of the top tier and California programs tend to hold back and wait a little bit longer (you can look at previous years spreadsheets to see when people first got interviews), but it's always a risk. If I were you I would send in my app and then if you get step 2 back and it's a good score you can send the pc an update email with that information. That's also a way for you to "check-in" with them.