You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)
Started by AlteredScale
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
@AlteredScale
Got both my confirmation e-mail and my secondary application invite today! Really excited! Although this is a newer school, their mission is exactly on par with what I want to dedicate my medical career to so I'm really hoping I get some love from this school!
Secondary Prompts:
Why do you think BCOM is the perfect place for you, and what qualities do you feel you would bring to BCOM that would help develop and foster the climate of our school?
You are a physician in a rural area treating a patient who needs additional medical care that is not offered in the state. Your patient informs you that she is an undocumented alien living in the United States and risks deportation if she travels outside state lines. Do you continue to administer care? If so, how? If not, explain.
The following question is optional and will not impact your admissions decision.
Please provide us with a video of no more than 2 minutes duration that will help us understand you better. Alternatively, you may provide a written statement of no more than 500 words or submit a physical exhibit (art piece, music, sculpture, etc.) to the BCOM Admissions Office. To submit the video, please paste into the box below a valid YouTube video URL created by yourself. The video will need to be marked Public or Public not listed. It cannot be marked as Private. Note that all material submitted is property of BCOM and will not be returned.
The thing I'm confused about is the first two prompts don't have a word count indicator, so... how lengthy should I make them? Also, I know the last section of the application is optional and they say it won't impact the admission's decision, but just how 'optional' is it? I definitely want to optimize my chances.
Good luck everyone!
Got both my confirmation e-mail and my secondary application invite today! Really excited! Although this is a newer school, their mission is exactly on par with what I want to dedicate my medical career to so I'm really hoping I get some love from this school!
Secondary Prompts:
Why do you think BCOM is the perfect place for you, and what qualities do you feel you would bring to BCOM that would help develop and foster the climate of our school?
You are a physician in a rural area treating a patient who needs additional medical care that is not offered in the state. Your patient informs you that she is an undocumented alien living in the United States and risks deportation if she travels outside state lines. Do you continue to administer care? If so, how? If not, explain.
The following question is optional and will not impact your admissions decision.
Please provide us with a video of no more than 2 minutes duration that will help us understand you better. Alternatively, you may provide a written statement of no more than 500 words or submit a physical exhibit (art piece, music, sculpture, etc.) to the BCOM Admissions Office. To submit the video, please paste into the box below a valid YouTube video URL created by yourself. The video will need to be marked Public or Public not listed. It cannot be marked as Private. Note that all material submitted is property of BCOM and will not be returned.
The thing I'm confused about is the first two prompts don't have a word count indicator, so... how lengthy should I make them? Also, I know the last section of the application is optional and they say it won't impact the admission's decision, but just how 'optional' is it? I definitely want to optimize my chances.
Good luck everyone!
I would DEFINITELY do the "optional" portion. It really isn't that optional. It helps them get to know you better and look forward to meeting you. I did the video last year and it was a fun way to portray my personality to them and what I was interested in, medical wise and not. I would recommend going to YouTube and typing in Burrell College secondary interview. You should see a bunch of videos for guidance. Good luck!@AlteredScale
Got both my confirmation e-mail and my secondary application invite today! Really excited! Although this is a newer school, their mission is exactly on par with what I want to dedicate my medical career to so I'm really hoping I get some love from this school!
Secondary Prompts:
Why do you think BCOM is the perfect place for you, and what qualities do you feel you would bring to BCOM that would help develop and foster the climate of our school?
You are a physician in a rural area treating a patient who needs additional medical care that is not offered in the state. Your patient informs you that she is an undocumented alien living in the United States and risks deportation if she travels outside state lines. Do you continue to administer care? If so, how? If not, explain.
The following question is optional and will not impact your admissions decision.
Please provide us with a video of no more than 2 minutes duration that will help us understand you better. Alternatively, you may provide a written statement of no more than 500 words or submit a physical exhibit (art piece, music, sculpture, etc.) to the BCOM Admissions Office. To submit the video, please paste into the box below a valid YouTube video URL created by yourself. The video will need to be marked Public or Public not listed. It cannot be marked as Private. Note that all material submitted is property of BCOM and will not be returned.
The thing I'm confused about is the first two prompts don't have a word count indicator, so... how lengthy should I make them? Also, I know the last section of the application is optional and they say it won't impact the admission's decision, but just how 'optional' is it? I definitely want to optimize my chances.
Good luck everyone!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i haven't received mine yet... 🙁
Received, and be sure to check your spam folder because apparently I received mine yesterday and it was in there. I just remembered to always check my spam folder now that I've submitted!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Received, and be sure to check your spam folder because apparently I received mine yesterday and it was in there. I just remembered to always check my spam folder now that I've submitted!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
OMG, THANK YOU. I completely forgot to check spam. I just got the secondary too. LOL <3 much love
I haven't received mine yet.... this means I'm good to go right?
Hmm.... I guess I'll just be patient and hope it comes soon
Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile
Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile
How long did it take you guys to receive the secondary app after you received the first "app has been received" email from Burrell? I have received the first one but have not yet received the secondary app...
I got my secondary the same day as the app received email......it was probably 3 hours or so afterwardsHow long did it take you guys to receive the secondary app after you received the first "app has been received" email from Burrell? I have received the first one but have not yet received the secondary app...
Do secondaries go out automatically? Or do I have to wait until they review my app. I haven't received any emails from them and I submitted and was verified on June 15th.
Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile
Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wouldn't worry about length. They don't care if you write a really long response as long as you are honest and do a good job of expressing yourself. I always say that clear and concise is better so that nobody gets confused about what you're talking about.Any thoughts on how long the two essays should be?
@stu403270
From AACOMAS CIB:
Supplemental application sent to the following prospective students: Screened applicants: Minimum overall Science GPA of 3.0 and a 493 on the MCAT.
Update: I e-mailed admissions and they said you should limit each essay to 500 words.
Well I just finished writing my response to the first prompt and it ended up being exactly 500 words, I'll take it as a sign. I appreciate ya reaching out to admissions.
Well...****. Time to hit the delete key a bunch of times.Update: I e-mailed admissions and they said you should limit each essay to 500 words.
Also thanks for taking the time to e-mail them.
I submitted my application on May 30th, should I be getting a secondary soon?
I submitted my primaries May 31sI submitted my application on May 30th, should I be getting a secondary soon?
According to the CIB I feel like everyone's who submitted and verified should get an auto supplemental as long as they're above 493 and have above a 3.00 sGPA. I'd reach out to the adcom.
Last edited:
Definitely reach out. Last year I submitted my application in June and by the end of July I was getting worried, so I emailed them and they said they had sent it a month earlier. I never received it and it wasn't in my spam. So definitely call or email 🙂I submitted my application on May 30th, should I be getting a secondary soon?
Hi all,
My status currently with BCOM: Received the "Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine - AACOMAS Application Received" email, but I have not yet received the supplemental application.
I just called the admissions office, and they said that since they had a huge influx of applications this cycle, it may take up to two weeks to send out the supplemental application to all qualified applicants. They said to call if you are above the GPA and MCAT minimum, and you have not received the supplemental application by the end of June.
Good luck everyone.
My status currently with BCOM: Received the "Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine - AACOMAS Application Received" email, but I have not yet received the supplemental application.
I just called the admissions office, and they said that since they had a huge influx of applications this cycle, it may take up to two weeks to send out the supplemental application to all qualified applicants. They said to call if you are above the GPA and MCAT minimum, and you have not received the supplemental application by the end of June.
Good luck everyone.
Last edited:
I would also call AACOMAS to make sure they have received everything just in case. I self-reported my MCAT scores and sent them through AAMC, however, there was a mix up and just got that cleared up. Hence, why I haven't received a secondary yet even though I was verified June 5th
I've watched a good amount of the secondary videos on youtube, and I know they list "physical exhibits" as (art piece, music, sculpture, etc.) but does anyone know what someone has actually submitted that counted as a physical exhibit?
Also, if we choose to submit a "written statement" I feel like it'd be redundant to rehash your PS, so are they looking for short prose, poems, an OpEd or something of the sort?
Also, if we choose to submit a "written statement" I feel like it'd be redundant to rehash your PS, so are they looking for short prose, poems, an OpEd or something of the sort?
Hi all,
I just received a call from BCOM's admissions office, and I would just like to post an update. This is for all the individuals who have not yet received a secondary but are verified.
Apparently they sent out the supplementary application to me on June 16th (the same day I received the initial "application received email" from them), but it WAS NOT in my main folder OR my spam folder. I simply did not receive it. They said that because they are a new school, they may have issues with their automated emails (idk how that works, it's just what they said). The lady that called was extremely nice, and she said that she will contact the director and get the email sent out to me as soon as possible.
If you are in a similar situation, please call them!
I just received a call from BCOM's admissions office, and I would just like to post an update. This is for all the individuals who have not yet received a secondary but are verified.
Apparently they sent out the supplementary application to me on June 16th (the same day I received the initial "application received email" from them), but it WAS NOT in my main folder OR my spam folder. I simply did not receive it. They said that because they are a new school, they may have issues with their automated emails (idk how that works, it's just what they said). The lady that called was extremely nice, and she said that she will contact the director and get the email sent out to me as soon as possible.
If you are in a similar situation, please call them!
Guys quick question, does BCOM accepts application without MCAT then allow to submit it later..Hi all,
I just received a call from BCOM's admissions office, and I would just like to post an update. This is for all the individuals who have not yet received a secondary but are verified.
Apparently they sent out the supplementary application to me on June 16th (the same day I received the initial "application received email" from them), but it WAS NOT in my main folder OR my spam folder. I simply did not receive it. They said that because they are a new school, they may have issues with their automated emails (idk how that works, it's just what they said). The lady that called was extremely nice, and she said that she will contact the director and get the email sent out to me as soon as possible.
If you are in a similar situation, please call them!
Guys quick question, does BCOM accepts application without MCAT then allow to submit it later..
I believe that they will accept the application, but they will not send out a supplemental application until they receive your MCAT score. They need the MCAT score for their initial screening.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
After some fun digging in last years thread, the earliest II was received on July 1st.
thanks for the infoI believe that they will accept the application, but they will not send out a supplemental application until they receive your MCAT score. They need the MCAT score for their initial screening.
what if you want to improve the first score after applying, can they accept the second score (assuming is it more) later after the interview or just before the interviewI believe that they will accept the application, but they will not send out a supplemental application until they receive your MCAT score. They need the MCAT score for their initial screening.
If you're talking about interviewing, submitting a new score before would be good so they have time to review your updated app after your interview. If you submit after your interview then they may have already made a decision on your app and it would be too late. If you're talking about a secondary then before or after would be fine, but if it's after you run the risk of them making a decision about your app early. Retake as quick as possible or just call up admissions and see what they suggest.what if you want to improve the first score after applying, can they accept the second score (assuming is it more) later after the interview or just before the interview
Thanks
Thanks Pal, this is great.. It makes sense..I will check with the admissions office and try to find out if each school has their own rule or is this same for all.If you're talking about interviewing, submitting a new score before would be good so they have time to review your updated app after your interview. If you submit after your interview then they may have already made a decision on your app and it would be too late. If you're talking about a secondary then before or after would be fine, but if it's after you run the risk of them making a decision about your app early. Retake as quick as possible or just call up admissions and see what they suggest.
Are students eligible to apply to federal loans yet?
When I submitted my supplemental they made me check a box that made me acknowledge that we still do not have access to federal funds. Maybe by next year?Are students eligible to apply to federal loans yet?
So how do students pay for school? The ones that can't pay with their own money that is.When I submitted my supplemental they made me check a box that made me acknowledge that we still do not have access to federal funds. Maybe by next year?
I wonder if interview invites are going go out today? They went out this time last couple years...[emoji33]
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So how do students pay for school? The ones that can't pay with their own money that is.
Lots of private loans.
They have arranged private lending with a couple of banks (Wells Fargo, Sallie Mae) that are their "preferred" banks but you can use any private lender.So how do students pay for school? The ones that can't pay with their own money that is.
This Friday was the day last year the first ones were sent out! Fingers crossed!I wonder if interview invites are going go out today? They went out this time last couple years...[emoji33]
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't received a secondary yet - do they send out secondaries to in state applicants first?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I received mine on the "first" day and I'm from OOS. Granted, I could be considered regional but still OOS.I haven't received a secondary yet - do they send out secondaries to in state applicants first?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'm from Pennsylvania and I received mine a few days after being verified.
I haven't received a secondary yet - do they send out secondaries to in state applicants first?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yeah I got mine right after they received my primary and I'm OOS. Definitely check your spam like the person before said. This school was the only school the emails went to my spam
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This just saved me. Thank you.Yeah I got mine right after they received my primary and I'm OOS. Definitely check your spam like the person before said. This school was the only school the emails went to my spam
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Similar threads
- Replies
- 402
- Views
- 87K
- Replies
- 852
- Views
- 167K
- Replies
- 334
- Views
- 69K
- Replies
- 115
- Views
- 30K


