2017-2018 PhD/PsyD Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiy123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting this thread as December 1st is quickly approaching (and also to procrastinate on finishing up my final applications)! Post your invitations here and I will update often. Below is the format for posting that has been used in the past:

School Name:
Date Interview Invite Received:
Degree
: PhD/PsyD
Type: Clinical/Counseling/School/Combined/Experimental (w/in Experimental please specify social, developmental, cognitive, neuroscience, etc.).
Track: e.g., adult, child, health, etc.
Notified via: Email, phone call, etc. Please indicate if mass or personal!
Interview Date:
Additional Info:
e.g., social event the night before, expenses (partially) covered, etc

Good luck everyone!!
Texas Tech University, Type: Counseling Psychology, Notified by: POI, Interview 02/05
University of Georgia, Date Interview Invite Received: 12/11/17, Type: Clinical Psychology, Notified via: Email, From: University/ PI, Interview Date: 01/19/18
Oklahoma State University, Date Interview Invite Received: 12/13/17, Type: Counseling, Notified via: Email, From: Department Head, Interview Date: 2/8/2018 or 2/9/2018
University of Houston, Date Interview Invite Received: 12/13/17, Degree: PhD, Type: Counseling, Notified via: Mass Email, From: Training Director, Interview Date: 2/5/2018, Additional Info: Dinner with graduate students 2/4/2017
West Virginia U, Type: Clinical Psych PhD, Date of invite: 12/14, Type of invite: Phone interview with POI on 12/12; Interview offer via Phone with POI on 12/14, Interview date(s): Jan 26-27th
University of Denver, Date Interview Invite Received: 12/15/17, Degree: PhD, Type: Counseling, Notified via: Email, From: The Morgridge Office of Admissions, Interview Date: 2/2/2018
University of Notre Dame, Date Interview Invite Received: 12/15/17, Degree: PhD, Type: Clinical, Notified via: Email, From: POI, Interview Date: 2/8-2/9, Additional Info: Dinner on evening of 2/8
Virginia Tech, Type: Clinical Psychology, PhD, Date of invite: 12/15/17, Type of invite: Email from POI, Interview date(s): 02/08/18 - 02/09/18
University of Oregon, Date Interview Invite Received: 12/16/17, Degree: PhD, Type: Clinical, Notified via: Email, From: POI, Interview Date: 1/19/17
University of Arkansas, Type: Clinical Psychology, PhD, Date of invite: 12/15/17, Type of invite: Email from DCT, Interview date(s): 01/21/18 - 01/22/18
Emory University, Date Interview Invite Received: 12/16/17, Degree: PhD, Type: Clinical, Notified via: Phone, From: POI, Interview Date: 1/25-1/27
U Kentucky – Lexington, Date Interview Invite Received: 12/15/17, Degree: PhD, Type: School, Notified via: Email, From: DCT, Interview Date: 2/2
University of Delaware, Type: Clinical Psychology, PhD, Date of invite: 12/16/17, Type of invite: Email from POI, Interview date(s): 1/29/17
UT Dallas, Type: Psychological Sciences Phd, Date of invite: 12/15/17, Type of invite: email from program coordinator, Interview dates: 1/25 - 1/26
UC Berkeley, Date Interview Invite Received: 12/20/17, Degree: PhD, Type: Clinical, Notified via: Email, From: Graduate Admission Director (not mass), Interview Date: 1/22—1/23
University of Mississippi, Date Interview Invite Received: Phone 12/12 // 12/21, Degree: PhD, Type: Clinical, Notified via: Call from POI 12/12, Email from DCT 12/21. From: POI then DCT, Interview Date: 2/2-2/3
Auburn University, Date Interview Invite Received: 12/21, Degree: PhD, Type: Clinical, Track: N/A, Notified via: mass email, From: DCT, Interview Date: 2/16-17
University of Florida, Date Interview Invite Received: 12/20, Degree: PhD, Type: Clinical, Track: N/A, Notified via: email directly to me, but seemed generic, From: Program Director, Interview Date: 2/22-2/24
Sam Houston State University, Date Interview Invite Received: 12/15/2017, Degree: PhD, Type: Clinical (Forensic Emphasis), Notified via: Call, From: POI, Interview Date: 3/2/2018
Temple University, Date Interview Invite Received: 12/22, Degree: PhD, Type: Clinical, Notified via: Personal email, From: Department member, Interview Date: 1/19 or 1/22
Stony Brook University, Type: Clinical PhD, Date of invite: 12/30/2017, Type of invite: Email from POI, Interview date(s): 1/16-1/17 and 1/17-1/18
Vanderbilt University, Type: Clinical PhD, Date of invite: 1/2/18, Type of invite: Email from POI, Interview date(s): 1/26/18
University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Date Interview Invite Received: 1/4, Degree: PhD, Type: Clinical, Notified via: Email, From: POI, Interview Date: Feb 23 (full weekend)
USC, Date Interview Invite Received: 1/4/18, Degree: PhD, Type: Clinical Science, Notified via: Email from PI, followed by email from Director of Clinical Training, Interview Date: 1/25-1/26
University of Miami (FL), Date Recieved: 1/3, Degree: PhD, Type: Clinical, Notified via email from PI

PhD School/Developmental/Cognitive/Other Programs

University of Tennessee Knoxville
, Invite Received: 12/5, Type: School, Notified via: Email, From: DCT, Interview Date: 1/13
University of South Carolina, Invite Received: 12/8/2017, Type: School, Notified via: Phone Call, From: POI, Interview Date: 1/26, Social event 1/25 with current grad students and faculty
University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Date Interview Invite Received: 12/12/17, Type: School, Notified via: Email, From: Department Head, Interview Date: 1/12/18
UCLA, Date Interview Invite Received: 12/19, Degree: PhD, Type: Health Psych, Notified via: phone call, From: PI, Interview Date: 2/09

PsyD Programs
School of Professional Psychology Chicago
, Date Interview Invite Received: 12/5/17, Type: Clinical, Track: Adult Neuropsychology, Notified via: phone call, From: administrative assistant, Interview Date: 1/29/18
Regent, Invite Received: Dec 1, Type: Clinical, Notified via: phone call, From: Assistant Program Director, Interview Date: Feb 2/3
Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Date Interview Invite Received: 12/15/17, Degree: PsyD, Type: Clinical, Notified via: Email, From: DCT, Interview Date: 1/26/2018
Widener University, Date Interview Invite Received: 12/21/17, Degree: PsyD, Type: Clinical, Notified via: Email, From: DCT, Interview Date: 1/17/18

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your confusion indicates that this must mean interviews for those applying to graduate school / doctoral programs (and are maybe confused about the internship process that lies at the end of that, for which students are currently receiving invites, which is why this is a confusing thread). Once you get into graduate school, clinical, counseling, and school PhD/PsyD students ALSO apply for and interview for internships (usually their 4th or 5th year) and then most do the same for postdocs (usually the year after that). Hence the need for specificity in your thread title.

Reactions: 1 user
Your confusion indicates that this must mean interviews for those applying to graduate school / doctoral programs (and are maybe confused about the internship process that lies at the end of that, for which students are currently receiving invites, which is why this is a confusing thread). Once you get into graduate school, clinical, counseling, and school PhD/PsyD students ALSO apply for and interview for internships (usually their 4th or 5th year) and then most do the same for postdocs (usually the year after that). Hence the need for specificity in your thread title.
I was just copying years past but I'll change it for clarity.

I admittedly don't come on here enough, but with admissions heating up I am going to try to be on more. If anyone has a question for a current Director of Clinical Training, please let me know. It doesn't have to be about my program. I am happy to give you some insight on what we are looking for and the factors that come into play with admissions. Good luck to you all!

Reactions: 8 users
Yeah to be fair to Tiy123, this is how the doctoral application interview invite thread has always been named. This can be easily discovered from just looking a couple inches down the forum. Every single one had the same format as this thread with only the years changed... ::shrugs::

Not sure if anyone pointed out any confusion in those previous years but just from a quick scan, doesn't seem like issues with the naming convention has come up before.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I admittedly don't come on here enough, but with admissions heating up I am going to try to be on more. If anyone has a question for a current Director of Clinical Training, please let me know. It doesn't have to be about my program. I am happy to give you some insight on what we are looking for and the factors that come into play with admissions. Good luck to you all!

Thanks, this is definitely really appreciated! Do you have any tips for those of us finalizing our personal statements?

Thanks, this is definitely really appreciated! Do you have any tips for those of us finalizing our personal statements?

Everyone thinks they have to be unique in their essays, and it ends up backfiring more often than it helps. Ultimately, when I look at a personal statement, it is all about fit with our faculty members. It is okay to talk about your qualifications, but in general my advice would be don't tell us what is already on your CV, tell us the important stuff that isn't. The personal statement is where you talk about your fit with both the program and advisor, talk about what makes you particularly qualified, or explain that bad semester when something was going on. If at the end of your statement I have a good sense of what you want to do in the future, and why our program and the mentor is a good fit to get you there, you have done your job.

Lastly, I should mention that while you of course should be honest in your statement, PhD programs are looking for researchers, and those who are interested in research are going to be the best fit. I am not saying this so people can game the system, but rather because those who aren't genuinely interested in research are going to be disappointed in many of our programs, as they are quite research-heavy.

I hope that helps some. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Reactions: 4 users
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle! It’s a stressful and exciting process, and it is worth it in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard from Yale's Clinical Program? Last year they sent out invites on the Monday after the deadline. Feel free to PM me if you're not comfortable posting.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard from Yale's Clinical Program? Last year they sent out invites on the Monday after the deadline. Feel free to PM me if you're not comfortable posting.

FYI, saw a Yale clinical person post today (12/5) on another psych message board that they received an email from a POI inviting them to do an informal Skype interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
FYI, saw a Yale clinical person post today (12/5) on another psych message board that they received an email from a POI inviting them to do an informal Skype interview.
IS THIS COMMON?! I thought I'd at least have a few weeks to breathe before the bone-crushing anxiety kicked back in....

IS THIS COMMON?! I thought I'd at least have a few weeks to breathe before the bone-crushing anxiety kicked back in....
From what I've read, there's only a handful that let you know this early!

Yeah, seems like Yale is the rare early bird.... Also, for experimental people, they don't do social/cog/etc. until a bit later afaik. [Insight gained solely from obsessively scrolling through interview and accept/reject boards from previous years.]

If the person with the Yale Skype interview is willing to message me the POI I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:

School Name: School of Professional Psychology Chicago

Date Interview Invite Received: 12/5/17
Degree: PsyD
Type: Clinical
Track: Adult Neuropsychology
Notified via: phone call
Interview Date: 1/29/18
Additional Info:

School Name: School of Professional Psychology Chicago
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/5/17
Degree
: PsyD
Track: Adult Neuropsychology
Interview Date: 1/29/18
Additional Info:
Make sure you inquire about the match statistics, student outcomes, costs of attendance, and average debt load when you interview.

Make sure you inquire about the match statistics, student outcomes, costs of attendance, and average debt load when you interview.

Match rate is 45-89% in recent years, attrition rate 10-27% in recent years, annual tuition is listed as 52k not including cost of living , university fees, or books. About an 80% licensure rate.

Match rate is 45-89% in recent years, attrition rate 10-27% in recent years, annual tuition is listed as 52k not including cost of living , university fees, or books. About an 80% licensure rate.
I already knew the stats, I was just being snarky.

I already knew the stats, I was just being snarky.

I figured, just wanted to give the applicant the numbers. I'd also urge any student to keep an eye on the tax plan that may pass and pay special attention to what happens to loan repayment programs.

Figured as much. Everyone knows this board looks down on Psy.D. seeking students.

To be fair, many people are just pointing out the reality of the situation. This internship application cycle, we essentially culled 20% of the applications right away due to some schools being of poor quality. Look at the stats and run the financial numbers. A lot easier to do now than 5 years down the road when you're in the mid 6 figures of debt and having a hard time finding internships/postdocs/jobs.

To be fair, many people are just pointing out the reality of the situation. This internship application cycle, we essentially culled 20% of the applications right away due to some schools being of poor quality. Look at the stats and run the financial numbers. A lot easier to do now than 5 years down the road when you're in the mid 6 figures of debt and having a hard time finding internships/postdocs/jobs.

I have and I have applied to a lot of other schools from all over the country which has higher rates and are known to be a successfully better programs. Although, it is refreshing to see that I can get an interview either way.

Figured as much. Everyone knows this board looks down on Psy.D. seeking students.
If we were "looking down on Psy.D. seeking students" why would even bother to comment to/about you? It wouldn't be worth our time.

We're trying to help by pointing out glaring flaws in many of these programs that should really make them untenable to anyone even peripherally knowledgeable. There are also good, at least partially-funded PsyD programs like Rutgers and Baylor, but those programs are basically indistinguishable from balanced PhD programs.

If we were "looking down on Psy.D. seeking students" why would even bother to comment to/about you? It wouldn't be worth our time.

We're trying to help by pointing out glaring flaws in many of these programs that should really make them untenable to anyone even peripherally knowledgeable. There are also good, at least partially-funded PsyD programs like Rutgers and Baylor, but those programs are basically indistinguishable from balanced PhD programs.

Because you wanted to be snarky as you, yourself said. I look forward to see where my fellow applicants apply and I wish them the best of luck.

Because you wanted to be snarky as you, yourself said. I look forward to see where my fellow applicants apply and I wish them the best of luck.

Nearly from the start of this thread on is a running joke about how application stress can make a bunch of doctoral hopefuls nitpick and snark like a bunch of preschoolers right before naptime. At least it lets me know I'm not the only one the stress is getting to ;)

Being snarky and being helpful aren't mutually exclusive. These programs rely on applicants not knowing what questions to ask and not knowing better when they hear the answers, e.g., average debt >$100k. If you think some snarky internet stranger is the bad guy here, you're got some pretty weird priorities.

School Name: University of Tennessee Knoxville
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/5
Degree: PhD
Type: School
Track:
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: 1/13
Additional Info:

Reactions: 5 users
School Name: Regent
Date Interview Invite Received: Dec 1
Degree
Interview Date: Feb 2/3
Additional Info: Notification was early because I applied during an early decision process. Final applications aren’t due til Dec 15.

School Name: UC Berkeley
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/6
(Skype interview with POI)
Type: Clinical Science
Track:
Interview Date: Skype interview on 12/11
Additional Info:

School Name: UC Berkeley
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/6
(Skype interview with POI)
Type: Clinical Science
Track:
Interview Date: Skype interview on 12/11
Additional Info:
Congrats!! Would you mind PMing the POI?

School Name: Regent
Date Interview Invite Received: Dec 1
Degree
Interview Date: Feb 2/3
Additional Info: Notification

Congrats!

A labmate has a preliminary skype interview scheduled with someone from Florida State University—not sure who the POI is.

School Name: Texas Tech University
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/08/17
Type: Clinical Psychology
Track:
Notified via: Phone
Interview Date: Interview weekend 02/09
Additional Info:

While I see your point about language, psych.meout is trying to be helpful because sinking ANY money (including interview) into those programs is not a good financial decision because it suggests you are considering them for more than an opportunity to practice an interview, and their outcomes (match, job, licensure, debt, EPPP pass, etc etc) don't warrant them for consideration in any way. I'm happy you got an interview because its a great feeling to be moving towards your dream, just be careful with what you take programs like that to be capable of doing with respect to filling those dreams. Best of luck in your applications.

On a unrelated note, I should probably finish all these applicant reviews... Back to work. Good luck everyone.

School Name: University of South Carolina
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/8/2017
Notified via: Phone Call
Interview Date: 1/26
Additional Info: Social event 1/25 with current grad students and faculty

School Name: University of California-Santa Barbara
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/7/17
Type: Clinical, Counseling & School Psychology
Interview Date: Preliminary Skype to be scheduled
Note: Their application deadline was Nov 15, way earlier than a lot of other programs. So if you're seeing these announcements and getting nervous, don't! You still have plenty of time :)

Since we're on the subject, can I inquire about this program if anyone knows anything? I adore the PI and their research, so I was thrilled to get this invite! The match rate average is above 85 for the past 5 years, which I've been told is the minimum to look for so that's good. But I have heard that their funding isn't great which is a pretty big negative, and I don't know about the reputation of combined programs like this one. Any thoughts on the reputation of the program, or knowledge about how their funding process works? You're welcome to pm me if you don't want to spam this thread. That said, it's super exciting to get my first invitation from a researcher I'd be super stoked to work with! Good luck, all!

School Name: University of Tennessee Knoxville
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/5
Track:
Interview Date: 1/13
Additional Info:
Could you pm me your POI's name? Does this mean all tennessee interviews have been sent?

School Name: University of Georgia
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/11/17
Type: Clinical Psychology
Interview Date: 01/19/18
Note: Applications were due Nov.15, which might account for the early response.

School Name: University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/12/17
Interview Date: 1/12/18
Additional Info: possible dinner with graduate students

Last edited:
I sometimes wonder if it wouldn't be better to have a wiki for this info given since its such a massive task to take on.

The way I view it, it's part of the application process. The better candidates are likely to be more prepared, or to be more proactive in trying to get information about the process and how to apply. I think a wiki would be helpful for certain aspects of the application process but on the other hand, some aspects are rather variable and people will have different opinions (and different programs/PIs may value different things). It's really nice that these forums exist at all and give people a chance to ask questions they might otherwise not get to ask.

The way I view it, it's part of the application process. The better candidates are likely to be more prepared, or to be more proactive in trying to get information about the process and how to apply. I think a wiki would be helpful for certain aspects of the application process but on the other hand, some aspects are rather variable and people will have different opinions (and different programs/PIs may value different things). It's really nice that these forums exist at all and give people a chance to ask questions they might otherwise not get to ask.
Sure, but when it comes to offers and interviews (programs, internship, or post doc) it's only one person trying to coordinate it so it's not very informative or, at least, not as informative as it could be.

Last edited:
Sure, but when it comes to offers and interviews (programs, internship, or post doc) it's only one person trying to coordinate it so it's not very informative or, at least, not as informative as it could be.
It's been pretty helpful at least for me to go through recent years to get a sense of when each school typically sends interviews, even if the first person doesn't form a list. The organization of the gradcafe results page is definitely nice though if you're searching for something specific. I think there's a way to do that on SDN but it never really took off.

School Name: Oklahoma State University
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/13/17
Type: Counseling
Interview Date: 2/8/2018 or 2/9/2018
Additional Info: Dinner with graduate students

Does anyone know if schools typically send out all emails/phone calls within one day or is it varied? I'm just wondering because I've seen a few schools I've applied to on here and gradcafe, and it's making me a little nervous that I haven't heard back from them now. Thanks!

Does anyone know if schools typically send out all emails/phone calls within one day or is it varied? I'm just wondering because I've seen a few schools I've applied to on here and gradcafe, and it's making me a little nervous that I haven't heard back from them now. Thanks!
Would also like to know this

If it's a mass email from the DCT, it's usually safe to assume that you weren't invited for the interview. However, many POIs individually review applications and invite prospective students, so if the email or call is sent from a POI there's more hope (especially if it's not the POI that you've applied to)!

Edit: I just edited the template from the top of the post to hopefully encourage people to indicate whether it was a mass email or personalized one. Hopefully that makes things less anxiety provoking for the people who didn't receive that interview.

Last edited: