2017-2018 University of Oklahoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey wait list buddies! Just called the admissions office, there are currently 27 students holding multiple acceptances and there has been no movement off the wait list! Hope everyone is hanging in there!
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are a female looking for a place to live in Tulsa, let me know! I have an apartment (affordable 2 bed 2 bath, roommate is NSU student) 10 mins away from the SCM but I am going to the OKC campus so I'm also looking for a roomate in OKC.

Members don't see this ad :)
So what is this “second-look” day thing in April? Is it just more tours or a day to first meet other accepted students?

So what is this “second-look” day thing in April? Is it just more tours or a day to first meet other accepted students?
I saw that too on the FB page and was wondering also. I think it’s both

I saw that too on the FB page and was wondering also. I think it’s both

I remember one of my student interviewers said there’s information on the curriculum and financial aid, and they learned how to suture and use some cool stuff in the simulation center.

Reactions: 1 users
This is probably a dumb question, but I was wondering if there is any type of dress code to wear to class and stuff like that? I couldn't find anything in the student handbook, but I know some schools make students wear business casual to class. I don't have a lot of clothes like that, so I will have to buy some if we have a dress code.

I remember one of my student interviewers said there’s information on the curriculum and financial aid, and they learned how to suture and use some cool stuff in the simulation center.
Ahh I see. Sounds great! Thanks for the info

This is probably a dumb question, but I was wondering if there is any type of dress code to wear to class and stuff like that? I couldn't find anything in the student handbook, but I know some schools make students wear business casual to class. I don't have a lot of clothes like that, so I will have to buy some if we have a dress code.
I’ve been wondering the same thing. Maybe someone that interviewed on a school day could help out with what the students were wearing? I interviewed on a Sunday.

Someone asked this question during my interview day. If I remember correctly, they said there was not a dress code. That was a few months ago, so take this with a grain of salt.

Someone asked this question during my interview day. If I remember correctly, they said there was not a dress code. That was a few months ago, so take this with a grain of salt.
There's no dress code. Also, keep in mind that most students don't actually attend live lectures. On days we have standardized patient encounters or live patient panels, we wear business casual with our white coats. We have schedules online that usually specify when we need to wear white coat attire. This is like once a month or every other month during first and second year. On clinicals (3rd and 4th year), you have to dress in business casual if you are in the clinic or wear scrubs depending on the rotation. You probably also need scrubs for anatomy lab unless you like smelling like formaldehyde. I just used old ones from my volunteering days

TL;DR Have some decent clothes you can wear first and second years. You probably don't need a whole new "professional" wardrobe until maybe third year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

MagentaKarma addressed this well, just adding my attestation that I definitely wore gym clothes to every lecture and test I went to, and that once anatomy ends, you're probably better off watching lectures at home unless you just reallllly need the social element of going to lecture, as that is a massive drag on your efficiency.

Would also emphasize that in 3rd year you'll definitely want to make sure you have a good number of business casual outfits, as you'll need to wear it every day on most rotations and you won't always have time/energy to do laundry as frequently as you would like. And 4th year, blessedly, is a vacation.

MagentaKarma addressed this well, just adding my attestation that I definitely wore gym clothes to every lecture and test I went to, and that once anatomy ends, you're probably better off watching lectures at home unless you just reallllly need the social element of going to lecture, as that is a massive drag on your efficiency.

Would also emphasize that in 3rd year you'll definitely want to make sure you have a good number of business casual outfits, as you'll need to wear it every day on most rotations and you won't always have time/energy to do laundry as frequently as you would like. And 4th year, blessedly, is a vacation.
What is the cause of the loss of efficiency by going to lectures? Travel time and time spent between one lecture ending and the other beginning?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the cause of the loss of efficiency by going to lectures? Travel time and time spent between one lecture ending and the other beginning?

Time spent doing everything before you leave (bathing, eating, etc), travel time, time walking from O Lot (not a short walk), then you have to listen to the lecture live which means it is at 1x speed, then walk back to your car (again, not a short walk; you’ll spend about 20 minutes total walking round trip), then travel time back. For me, this easily would take over an hour total each time. Hours are precious gold/precious bitcoin in med school.

Or you can stay at home and wait until the lecture video recording is posted online. I could watch the lecture twice at 2x speed, taking breaks when I saw fit, in less time than it took me to actually go to lecture.

Last edited:
Time spent doing everything before you leave (bathing, eating, etc), travel time, time walking from O Lot (not a short walk), then you have to listen to the lecture live which means it is at 1x speed, then walk back to your car (again, not a short walk; you’ll spend about 20 minutes total walking round trip), then travel time back. For me, this easily would take over an hour total each time. Hours are precious gold/precious bitcoin in med school.

Or you can stay at home and wait until the lecture video recording is posted online. I could watch the lecture twice at 2x speed, taking breaks when I saw fit, in less time than it took me to actually go to lecture.
When are lectures usually posted online? Are they posted the same day or the next day?

When are lectures usually posted online? Are they posted the same day or the next day?

I’m a 4th year so idk if it’s changed, but for me it was typically about 2-3 p.m. (lecture is from 8 to noon).

anyone going to reapplicant's workshop Thursday?
I am! What do you think about the request to write down briefly why you think you are here and your strengths/weaknesses about your application and interview?

I am! What do you think about the request to write down briefly why you think you are here and your strengths/weaknesses about your application and interview?
Thought it was kind of interesting haha! I kinda wonder if it weighs anything or if it's just to compare/contrast against the person talking to us

Thought it was kind of interesting haha! I kinda wonder if it weighs anything or if it's just to compare/contrast against the person talking to us
Ya those were my thoughts, like if we really put thought into it then they might think highly of us or something. Haha I asked admissions and the dress code is business casual btw! I figured as much but I wanted confirmation. Lol

Ya those were my thoughts, like if we really put thought into it then they might think highly of us or something. Haha I asked admissions and the dress code is business casual btw! I figured as much but I wanted confirmation. Lol
oo thank you! I have a gym class an hour before so looks like I'll be scrambling a bit XD

oo thank you! I have a gym class an hour before so looks like I'll be scrambling a bit XD
Haha well if I see someone rushing around and looking exhausted I'll know who it is!

I’m a 4th year so idk if it’s changed, but for me it was typically about 2-3 p.m. (lecture is from 8 to noon).

Hope the match gods are kind to you today. Thanks for hanging around here to help out all of us future Sooners!

Hope the match gods are kind to you today. Thanks for hanging around here to help out all of us future Sooners!

Yep I matched! Now just the struggle of waiting until Friday to actually find out where I matched and which specialty :( no problem, glad to help! It's a great school that will prepare you very well to go into any specialty anywhere!

If you are a female looking for a place to live in Tulsa, let me know! I have an apartment (affordable 2 bed 2 bath, roommate is NSU student) 10 mins away from the SCM but I am going to the OKC campus so I'm also looking for a roomate in OKC.
Hey Sray24!
I’m a female looking for a roommate also! I’m going to OKC as well.

Has anyone been looking at apartments near the OKC campus? Any suggestions for one person living alone who has a car) (Preferably under $1,000/month)

Has anyone been looking at apartments near the OKC campus? Any suggestions for one person living alone who has a car) (Preferably under $1,000/month)
My fiancée and I have signed off on a 2 bed 2 bath apartment at The Seven for after our wedding. It’s priced at $1238/mo and is a 9 minute walk to the classroom building (timed it). 1 bed 1 bath apartments are $797/mo, the parking lot is open parking. Only utilities not included are electric and internet. Stacked washer/dryer is in each apartment. They’re brand new, so we are the first people to live in our apartment and I assume anyone else would be too. If you check it out and like it, DM because I think we can get a referral bonus lol.

For anyone searching for a gap year opportunity the Stephenson Cancer Center is currently searching for pre-medical students to serve as research interns for the 2018-2019 academic year. For anyone interested I have attached a flyer with more information here!

Attachments

• 9634009A-CD83-4764-83CA-2F5AEB03AFD5.jpeg
    9634009A-CD83-4764-83CA-2F5AEB03AFD5.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 79
Can any current or former students give their opinion on how valuable the Second Visit Day is? I'm trying to decide if I should miss some things I have scheduled so I can attend. Thanks.

Anyone asked about the waitlist movement?
I called on Monday. No movement and still had 27 with multiple acceptances. Dotty was gone though he said and would be back this past Wednesday, so maybe they start moving it since she's back?

I called on Monday. No movement and still had 27 with multiple acceptances. Dotty was gone though he said and would be back this past Wednesday, so maybe they start moving it since she's back?

They probably just haven’t updated everything yet... I withdrew a little while ago...

They probably just haven’t updated everything yet... I withdrew a little while ago...
Awesome thanks for the info! Good luck at your school!

Did anyone on the WL get the research email about only 22 people holding multiple acceptances now - and still no WL movement?

Did anyone on the WL get the research email about only 22 people holding multiple acceptances now - and still no WL movement?
Yep! When I have called they originally said 27 with multiple acceptances. Anyone have a clue on why there's a discrepancy?

Yep! When I have called they originally said 27 with multiple acceptances. Anyone have a clue on why there's a discrepancy?
I would think that it’s due to people releasing their other acceptances. At least that’s what I did with mine.

I would think that it’s due to people releasing their other acceptances. At least that’s what I did with mine.
Ahhh that makes sense, I didn't think about that. Thanks for the info!

Does anyone know of a specific attire / dress code for the Second Visit Day tomorrow?

8 am start time, saturday, snow in oklahoma in april, google maps nothing but red marks for crashes, glad I sat this one out.

Update for waitlist buddies! Still no one has been pulled off the waitlist and there are currently 20 people with multiple offers still. Stay strong!

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard anything about scholarships? I don't mean the financial aid eligibility they sent out a couple weeks ago.

Edit: Heard anything about scholarships since they sent out the application.

Has anyone heard anything about scholarships? I don't mean the financial aid eligibility they sent out a couple weeks ago.

Edit: Heard anything about scholarships since they sent out the application.

nah not yet, but I've already prematurely concluded that's zero scholarship money coming my way

Anyone familiar with the area know when is the best time to sign a lease? My brother in Norman told me that around the undergrad campus, if you wait till summer-ish, all the apartments have really good incentives, like a month or two free or a $1k gift card or etc

Anyone familiar with the area know when is the best time to sign a lease? My brother in Norman told me that around the undergrad campus, if you wait till summer-ish, all the apartments have really good incentives, like a month or two free or a $1k gift card or etc

$1k gift card is a little unlikely from my experience in undergrad, especially in OKC. I’ve been out of the state for a few years since, but back in the day deals like this were common at the less-nice places. My sophomore year I got 1 months rent for free for preleasing at a place in Norman.

This kinda thing is less common in OKC since the primary renting demographic isn’t students like in Norman. The Lincoln apartments and Capitol apartments (not sure on exact name) are more college-style places that might have deals for preleaseing.

As far as best time... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ in undergrad I usually signed a pre lease agreement in march/April. I would say call places and ask about pre-leasing benefits. They may not have any, but the popular housing spots will fill up.

I live downtown currently and we got a $1000 credit and half off our deposit when we signed out lease, other places downtown we’re doing similar things and we signed our lease in May.

I signed my lease in May and got a gift card for more than that, but it was at one of the more expensive apartments downtown. May seems to be the best time to sign because a lot of leases expire around then for the OUHSC students. Apartments like Maywood, Metropolitan, and the Lincoln gave deals for being an OUHSC student, so make sure to ask about that. Every apartment will give you some sort of deal, you just have to call and ask about their current specials. Also keep in mind the peace of mind you want to have in med school. I know plenty of people who live at Lincoln and are happy that it's cheap, but they also joke about the break-ins, quality of apartment, and lack of safety since the gate is always broken. Mainly car break-ins are an issue there. Definitely a good option if you're looking for close and cheap, though! I wouldn't really recommend The Capitol to anyone. I think Lift or The Maywood are the best options when considering cost, quality, and safety. Also consider whether or not you want a roommate. This isn't college anymore, and while it is nice to split the cost with someone, it can be a real drag to share your space with someone, especially if you're a homeschooler like most of the medical school class. Everyone I know with a roommate first year is no longer living with them second year, myself included.

Keep in mind that near the end of the school year, so within the next couple of weeks-end of May, current students will be looking for someone to move into their rent houses or looking for roommates, and you all should be getting emails about that from admin soon!

Anyone waitlisted have any happy news or news of movement?