2017-2018 University of Oklahoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Probably off topic but does anyone know if AP Physics credit is accepted by OU COM? Entering undergrad I already had AP credit for both physics requirements, and I have not taken any other physics courses since.

The application requirements from OU COM website states "Pass/Fail grading, advanced placement and CLEP courses are accepted if a subsequent higher course is taken for a grade."

Does that mean I need to take a higher course in physics and I'll be good for the requirement?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably off topic but does anyone know if AP Physics credit is accepted by OU COM? Entering undergrad I already had AP credit for both physics requirements, and I have not taken any other physics courses since.

The application requirements from OU COM website states "Pass/Fail grading, advanced placement and CLEP courses are accepted if a subsequent higher course is taken for a grade."

Does that mean I need to take a higher course in physics and I'll be good for the requirement?
Sounds like it. If you don’t want to take anything higher than physics 2 you could just take physics 2. That would fulfill the physics 2 req and also make your physics 1 AP credit eligible.

Does anyone else have an error message when they try to check their status in the portal?

Members don't see this ad :)
do they only send out acceptances Tuesday morning? Wanted to know if I should be obsessively checking my email all of next week or just on Tuesday LOL

do they only send out acceptances Tuesday morning? Wanted to know if I should be obsessively checking my email all of next week or just on Tuesday LOL
I think the first round of acceptances went out on a Friday (Nov. 3), so I guess its obsessively checking for those of us still waiting.

Also all acceptance rounds were about a week after interview weekends, last interview weekend that I know of was the 27th, what are the more recent ones?

Yeah, just got accepted few mins ago!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know what the chances are of being accepted in February if yu are in the Deferred List? How does the Deferred List work in choosing who to accept, are people ranked?

Anybody know what the chances are of being accepted in February if yu are in the Deferred List? How does the Deferred List work in choosing who to accept, are people ranked?
I have no idea, I would also like to know about how many people that interview in January get accepted or do a large portion of the later interviews get deferred/rejected...

I am a reapplicant and was deferred and then waitlisted last year. But I do know of quite a few current med students who were deferred and then accepted, so it does happen but I don't know how often.

Reactions: 1 user
I was deferred this year. I want to know how many deferred students are accepted as well!

Daphnedood, did you go to the interview workshop last year in March? Are you feeling confident about your chances / have you been accepted?

Also, are individuals deferred in December likely to be put on the waitlist in February, or are there people already on the waitlist right now?
Thanks!
Waitlist doesn't happen till final decisions in February.

There are definitely a chunk of deferred people that are accepted but I don't know if ther's really any numbers - my friend who's a MS4 said that she knew a ton of people that were deferred and accepted.

I feel like it kinda just depends on how many applicants there are since they only have ~165 seats to give, which I assume half have been taken by now

Waitlist doesn't happen till final decisions in February.

There are definitely a chunk of deferred people that are accepted but I don't know if ther's really any numbers - my friend who's a MS4 said that she knew a ton of people that were deferred and accepted.

I feel like it kinda just depends on how many applicants there are since they only have ~165 seats to give, which I assume half have been taken by now

Do you have any information, stories or hunch about how many people who interview in Jan are accepted? From what I can tell, OU interviews are based pretty much on a numbers game - better GPA and MCAT = earlier interview, but how much does that play into the acceptance once someone gets the interview is what I want to know. Does that make since?

I was deferred this year. I want to know how many deferred students are accepted as well!

Daphnedood, did you go to the interview workshop last year in March? Are you feeling confident about your chances / have you been accepted?

Also, are individuals deferred in December likely to be put on the waitlist in February, or are there people already on the waitlist right now?
Thanks!

Yeah I went to the workshop, and honestly I have no idea. I did everything they told me to do but they were pretty vague. And yeah they don't waitlist anyone in December (which someone said already) but I think its kinda a mixed bag. From what I understand they do less interviews in the spring, so that is at least encouraging. They really only do them in January and maybe like one day in Feb. Last year we heard like around Valentines day.

Do you have any information, stories or hunch about how many people who interview in Jan are accepted? From what I can tell, OU interviews are based pretty much on a numbers game - better GPA and MCAT = earlier interview, but how much does that play into the acceptance once someone gets the interview is what I want to know. Does that make since?

Honestly no clue - I would love to know that myself. I do know they stop interviewing mid-January though so there's only a few interview dates left. Basically OU does a combined score: your GPA (30%)/MCAT score (70%) + your interview score.

A later interview could indicate you have a lower GPA/MCAT ratio (but I know several people this cycle with a decent GPA/MCAT who took a Jan date because that's when they had the availability). So a good GPA and MCAT does make a big difference, especially if your interview wasn't mind-blowing, but your interview skills do matter too. I know of someone who had the average MCAT and GPA but got accepted the week after their interview date because the person interviews very well and had plenty of experiences in order to support his answers, showing his dedication. I also know someone with a 515 who, when I last talked to them in early December, had yet to hear back from OU despite interviewing in the first round (no idea if they've been accepted or deferred since though).

It's hard to tell how many will get accepted in January since I really don't know what the "accepted" score is - but I know in February, that's when they'll rank everyone who they have left and pass out the remaining acceptances, rejections, and add on to the wait list. So, it really does just depends on the indivuals that are applying because even if they don't have the strong MCAT/GPA score, they could be an extremely amazing interviewer who you can tell just fits into OU-COM.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I know of someone who had the average MCAT and GPA but got accepted the week after their interview date because the person interviews very well and had plenty of experiences in order to support his answers, showing his dedication. I also know someone with a 515 who, when I last talked to them in early December, had yet to hear back from OU despite interviewing in the first round (no idea if they've been accepted or deferred since though).

I interviewed last year with a similar MCAT, in retrospect I let their interview schtick get to me and I wouldn't say I performed well, and subsequently received a defer then reject. This year, prepped for interview for a solid month everyday, accepted. How the master list of where students stand (accept, reject, waitlist in feb) I would think is dependent largely on how post december decision interviewees perform. How many defer students are accepted probably varies based on late interviewee performance come game day - largely what you said, I'm just agreeing lol

What do you think my chances of being accepted are, I just got deferred. 507 MCAT, 4.0GPA. I was pretty confident that my interview went well, and have experiences in all of the categories needed.

I am a reapplicant and was deferred and then waitlisted last year. But I do know of quite a few current med students who were deferred and then accepted, so it does happen but I don't know how often.

I was deferred then waitlisted my first time around and never got in. Then the next cycle, I got deferred once again and then waitlisted once again. Lingered on the waitlist until May when I finally got accepted. Now about to graduate as one of the top 25 students in the class (that's as high a specific ranking as OU gives out, so I could be #1 or I could be #25).

Don't let this process get you down. I was both sad and pissed at the time, but I used it to motivate myself to dominate med school. I've seen other reapplicants get AOA, and I've seen people accepted right off the bat flunk out. This process is a giant crapshoot, and don't think that you're not going to do well in med school just because an adcom misidentified your ability.

Reactions: 2 users
Have any admitted students heard anything after the initial acceptance email? Especially anything related to scholarships or financial aid?

Have any admitted students heard anything after the initial acceptance email? Especially anything related to scholarships or financial aid?

I got an email allowing me to create my OU email account. Other than that I have not received anything.

I have not received anything else, but I heard from a past student that OU does not notify matriculants about scholarships until after the AAMC deadline where you have to relinquish all acceptances except one. I believe that date is at the end of April.

I have not received anything else, but I heard from a past student that OU does not notify matriculants about scholarships until after the AAMC deadline where you have to relinquish all acceptances except one. I believe that date is at the end of April.
You should check your spam filter. My email account info went there. I’m guessing future communications (financial aid, Facebook group, admitted students day etc) will go to that account.

You should check your spam filter. My email account info went there. I’m guessing future communications (financial aid, Facebook group, admitted students day etc) will go to that account.
Sorry, I meant to say I hadn’t received anything after the email to set up an OU email and online account. Thanks for looking out for me though!

Interviewing tomorrow for SCM! Excited and nervous

Reactions: 3 users
Does your SCM interview influence your "interview score" given by the OKC campus? (Initially, not after waitlist.)

Does your SCM interview influence your "interview score" given by the OKC campus? (Initially, not after waitlist.)

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe it does. I was told that you have to be accepted into OKC first before you can be accepted into SCM. The SCM interview is completely separate from the OKC interview. It's just to see if you are a good fit for just the SCM track, so it shouldn't affect the results of your OKC interview. I hope that made sense!

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe it does. I was told that you have to be accepted into OKC first before you can be accepted into SCM. The SCM interview is completely separate from the OKC interview. It's just to see if you are a good fit for just the SCM track, so it shouldn't affect the results of your OKC interview. I hope that made sense!

I believe thereare2spoons to be correct. When I was at the interview day, they informed us that the SCM interview has no bearing on the acceptance into the COM as a whole, only for placement within the OKC/SCM tracks once accepted to the COM.

I really liked the idea of the SCM track so here's to hoping I hear good news from COM. They told us that most people would hear back within 2 weeks, but since I got deferred from OUCOM - should I expect to not hear back till February instead?

Last edited:
I really liked the idea of the SCM track so here's to hoping I hear good news from COM. They told us that most people would hear back within 2 weeks, but since I got deferred from OUCOM - should I expect to not hear back till February instead?

I would say they probably won't let you know until February, but you never know, they may surprise you!

Does anyone know where I can find the school code to fill out FAFSA?

Edit: never mind. I found the code for the health sciences center

Last edited:
Does anyone know approximately how many spots are left to be filled?

Does anyone know approximately how many spots are left to be filled?

No one on here would be able to tell you. Your best bet would be calling admissions.

If they take an even amount every month, however, you can kind of estimate this number:
OU conducts interviews from October through Februrary, and they offer around 200 acceptances over the course of these 5 months. If they offer an equal amount every month, there would be about 2/5 of those 200 offers left. That would be around 80 acceptances.

This would be my guess. Might be completely off though.

No one on here would be able to tell you. Your best bet would be calling admissions.

If they take an even amount every month, however, you can kind of estimate this number:
OU conducts interviews from October through Februrary, and they offer around 200 acceptances over the course of these 5 months. If they offer an equal amount every month, there would be about 2/5 of those 200 offers left. That would be around 80 acceptances.

This would be my guess. Might be completely off though.

If they are still doing the thing where they accept one batch in December and then another in February, they accept half their class size the first time and the other half the next time.

Anyone know what they mean by maintaining acadamic standards? Does it just mean, "don't fail out?"