2017 CIB and the aacomas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YaTuSabes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I hope I am posting in the right place - you might see two posts (i accidentally posted in the school specific DO forum - and i can't figure out how to delete it :/ )

But anyway...I was looking through the 2017 CIB and I started noticing that the schools that historically REQUIRE a DO letter have now switched to saying "recommend a letter from a PHYSICIAN". Some examples I found:

DMU-COM - it's not on the CIB but on their website it says PHYSICIAN exposure is required (previously, they said letter of recommendation from a DO was necessary)
VCOM-VA - in the CIB it says a letter from physician is required (but they PREFER that we have experience with a DO)
LECOM - in the CIB, it says LECOM will like to see previous exposure to a DO

Maybe i am reading too much into this, but they don't exactly state that they want a letter from a DO. Just that you shadowed one and know what you are talking about.

My situation: I shadowed a DO, she was VERY HELPFUL, she did traditional osteopathy on a regular basis and I learned a LOT about osteopathy. However, she is going away (internationally) and it is highly unlikely that she'd actually be able to write a letter and submit it on time (she mentioned she barely has any time because of dramatic changes in her schedule).

So I do have exposure to osteopathic medicine, but no letter to actually document this. I am working on getting a letter from an MD, though.

So what do you guys think? is my exposure to osteopathic medicine enough? Or do I really need to find another DO who would let me shadow and write a letter (I have been looking around but no other DO is currently open to letting students observe)

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

in terms of actually proving osteopathic exposure, i would think a DO letter is required, but i really don't think it will hurt you that much if you used an MD letter instead. if you are unsure if they actually require a DO letter to get in, you can email the admissions of each school.

Hi All,

I hope I am posting in the right place - you might see two posts (i accidentally posted in the school specific DO forum - and i can't figure out how to delete it :/ )

But anyway...I was looking through the 2017 CIB and I started noticing that the schools that historically REQUIRE a DO letter have now switched to saying "recommend a letter from a PHYSICIAN". Some examples I found:

DMU-COM - it's not on the CIB but on their website it says PHYSICIAN exposure is required (previously, they said letter of recommendation from a DO was necessary)
VCOM-VA - in the CIB it says a letter from physician is required (but they PREFER that we have experience with a DO)

Maybe i am reading too much into this, but they don't exactly state that they want a letter from a DO. Just that you shadowed one and know what you are talking about.

My situation: I shadowed a DO, she was VERY HELPFUL, she did traditional osteopathy on a regular basis and I learned a LOT about osteopathy. However, she is going away (internationally) and it is highly unlikely that she'd actually be able to write a letter and submit it on time (she mentioned she barely has any time because of dramatic changes in her schedule).

So I do have exposure to osteopathic medicine, but no letter to actually document this. I am working on getting a letter from an MD, though.

So what do you guys think? is my exposure to osteopathic medicine enough? Or do I really need to find another DO who would let me shadow and write a letter (I have been looking around but no other DO is currently open to letting students observe)

Thank you!

Look through the recent posts and you'll find significant discussion on this. Short answer, you only need one if a school requires it or you want to improve your chances for admission at many DO schools. It's your choice.

Hi All,

Thank you!
If you have an opportunity to shadow a DO physician, it is very helpful on your PS, interview etc should the topic of "Why DO" comes up.