2017 Manchester College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you think it's too late to apply to manchester univ. college of pharmacy. And what are my chances. Below is my stat

BS Biology, with 3.55 GPA and 3.6 pharmcas GPA
1 yr of research work in molecular biology
Just got certifified as a pharmacy tech.
3 LOR

Yep :) Go for it!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I am a current student at Manchester so let me know if you have any questions!

Anyone get invited to a January 19th interview? I'll be there :)

hi, for those of you who had an interview to manchester pharmacy school in fort wayne. i have a interview coming up and im really scared, can you guys tell me how your interview went and if they have a essay question? and how hard was it ? it would be really nice if someone could fill me in a little bit. and also how was the campus?

Members don't see this ad :)
hi, for those of you who had an interview to manchester pharmacy school in fort wayne. i have a interview coming up and im really scared, can you guys tell me how your interview went and if they have a essay question? and how hard was it ? it would be really nice if someone could fill me in a little bit. and also how was the campus?
The interview was very conversational for me. It took about 30 minutes. They asked questions such as (It might not be the same for all of us): Why Manchester University? Why pharmacy?, and any other typical interview questions, etc.

They give you 15 minutes for the essay portion.The writing is "super" easy. English is not my first language, but I think the writing is very easy. I don't think they stress much on the writing since it's just 15 minutes.The interview does not begin until after lunch time so around 12PM. The whole process is very relaxing, but it's long. Everyone is very friendly, so I don't think it's immitidating at all. I was so nervous and worried at first, but the interview is not that bad like you imagine, so just relax. You'll be fine. The events are back to back so if you will have time to drink, eat and use the bathroom.
Good luck with your interview. They just only accept few students from two groups of interview, so you will get in.

The interview was very conversational for me. It took about 30 minutes. They asked questions such as (It might not be the same for all of us): Why Manchester University? Why pharmacy?, and any other typical interview questions, etc.

They give you 15 minutes for the essay portion.The writing is "super" easy. English is not my first language, but I think the writing is very easy. I don't think they stress much on the writing since it's just 15 minutes.The interview does not begin until after lunch time so around 12PM. The whole process is very relaxing, but it's long. Everyone is very friendly, so I don't think it's immitidating at all. I was so nervous and worried at first, but the interview is not that bad like you imagine, so just relax. You'll be fine. The events are back to back so if you will have time to drink, eat and use the bathroom.
Good luck with your interview. They just only accept few students from two groups of interview, so you will get in.
Okay thank you so much that helped me a lot. Have you got a call yet? Did you get in? Good luck to you too

I interviewed here but wasn't impressed to be honest, so I didn't put forth my best effort in the interview process. They are Candidate status and I'm sure they will receive accreditation soon but they are expensive as compared to other schools for being out in the boonies. 4 years is along time to be in a place so make sure this place is a right fit for ya. I have been accepted to Touro New York which I felt was superior to this school but some people may like Manchester and I will gladly help anybody to get accepted into pharmacy school.

I came in a day early to check out the area and talk with local pharmacist in the area. I talked to almost every pharmacy in the area and most didn’t have anything positive to say about the school, a few were preceptors also. I love the Fort Wayne INTERNATIONAL airport, but seriously what a joke!!!!

The interview process starts by everyone meeting in the main lobby, then they move you to their eating area (No cafeteria or eating place on campus, but alot of the students eat at Parkview its the huge hospital next to the school, the school locks its doors after 6 or something like that so you have to find a place to study which really sucks) where they provide muffins, juice etc. They have faculty and current students observing and mingling with the people. They hand out your planar for the day.

Everybody goes to the lecture room and they give you a writing assignment either what is your favorite vacation or name a special gift that you received and you have 15 minutes to write a response.

They will break people up into three groups or at least that is what we did anyways.
Group 1 will go to meet 3 faculty members and answer questions about the program then, white coat fitting and interview with a pharmacist and a preceptor (I think they are outsourced as I didn’t see this guy on the faculty page and I didn’t get a good vibe from him when we introduced each other but the pharmacist was also a faculty member), mine was for about 30minutes where they asked Tell me about yourself?, Why pharmacy, Why Manchester? Strength and weakness? How would you deal with a difficult team member? Etc... alot more questions just look up articles and interviews on SDN.

Break for Lunch

Group 2 goes and meets with current pharmacy students and answer questions about the pharmacy program or whatever, then goes to take a tour of the school then split up into 2 groups for a group activity where the student ambassador reads a situation where you all have to agree on the order of most important items and list them high to low using a scale of 1-10 and you have to convince other people that your response is better than others. Our situation was a plane crashed in the desert and you these items and it is 130degrees. You have a mirror, knife, parachute, vodka, water, salt tablets, compass, and a map. I believe the purpose of the exercise is to see if you are more likely to argue or get along with others in a group activity but it could be graded differently. But I’m sure the room is recorded and the student ambassador is making notes of everybody’s responses.

Group 3 has financial aid lecture.

Started at 8 or 9am then finished around 2:30pm or so, it is quite a long day make sure you get good night sleep!

I prepared by looking up the faculty of the school, reading over articles and interviews on SDN, doing mock interviews and make sure to relax do some breathing exercises. If you do these few things you should be golden!

I interviewed here but wasn't impressed to be honest, so I didn't put forth my best effort in the interview process. They are Candidate status and I'm sure they will receive accreditation soon but they are expensive as compared to other schools for being out in the boonies. 4 years is along time to be in a place so make sure this place is a right fit for ya. I have been accepted to Touro New York which I felt was superior to this school but some people may like Manchester and I will gladly help anybody to get accepted into pharmacy school.

I came in a day early to check out the area and talk with local pharmacist in the area. I talked to almost every pharmacy in the area and most didn't have anything positive to say about the school, a few were preceptors also. I love the Fort Wayne INTERNATIONAL airport, but seriously what a joke!!!!

The interview process starts by everyone meeting in the main lobby, then they move you to their eating area (No cafeteria or eating place on campus, but alot of the students eat at Parkview its the huge hospital next to the school, the school locks its doors after 6 or something like that so you have to find a place to study which really sucks) where they provide muffins, juice etc. They have faculty and current students observing and mingling with the people. They hand out your planar for the day.

Everybody goes to the lecture room and they give you a writing assignment either what is your favorite vacation or name a special gift that you received and you have 15 minutes to write a response.

They will break people up into three groups or at least that is what we did anyways.
Group 1 will go to meet 3 faculty members and answer questions about the program then, white coat fitting and interview with a pharmacist and a preceptor (I think they are outsourced as I didn't see this guy on the faculty page and I didn't get a good vibe from him when we introduced each other but the pharmacist was also a faculty member), mine was for about 30minutes where they asked Tell me about yourself?, Why pharmacy, Why Manchester? Strength and weakness? How would you deal with a difficult team member? Etc... alot more questions just look up articles and interviews on SDN.

Break for Lunch

Group 2 goes and meets with current pharmacy students and answer questions about the pharmacy program or whatever, then goes to take a tour of the school then split up into 2 groups for a group activity where the student ambassador reads a situation where you all have to agree on the order of most important items and list them high to low using a scale of 1-10 and you have to convince other people that your response is better than others. Our situation was a plane crashed in the desert and you these items and it is 130degrees. You have a mirror, knife, parachute, vodka, water, salt tablets, compass, and a map. I believe the purpose of the exercise is to see if you are more likely to argue or get along with others in a group activity but it could be graded differently. But I'm sure the room is recorded and the student ambassador is making notes of everybody's responses.

Group 3 has financial aid lecture.

Started at 8 or 9am then finished around 2:30pm or so, it is quite a long day make sure you get good night sleep!

I prepared by looking up the faculty of the school, reading over articles and interviews on SDN, doing mock interviews and make sure to relax do some breathing exercises. If you do these few things you should be golden!

white coat fitting on interview day?? LOL that seems very odd to me...
good information though!...it will surely help a lot of people.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about adding some out of state schools to my pharmacy designations, considering it's almost the deadline should I bother applying?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using SDN Mobile

I'm thinking about adding some out of state schools to my pharmacy designations, considering it's almost the deadline should I bother applying?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using SDN Mobile

Yes, you should definitely still apply to any school you feel would be a good match for you. It is still relatively early. Some schools offer interviews as late as April/May. Good luck to you!

About how many people are at the interview sessions? Or does anyone know how many people have interviewed already?

Hey guys,
do u guys know how many people interviewing you? Thanks!!!!

Hi everyone!

Just a friendly FYI. I was accepted here in November. However, I am withdrawing my acceptance because I have been accepted elsewhere.

Best of luck to all of you :)

I've interview on 2/9/2013, on Saturday, so is anybody else is having on this day?
I'm really nervous and want to know how many questions do they ask there on the half-an hour time frame? Is it easy questions?

I've interview on 2/9/2013, on Saturday, so is anybody else is having on this day?
I'm really nervous and want to know how many questions do they ask there on the half-an hour time frame? Is it easy questions?
I interviewed last year and the actual 'one on one' interview lasts somewhere between 20 and 40 minutes. Here are some things you should know:

-Be prepared to explain why you want to go to Manchester and justify what your plans will be if you are not accepted.
-Be able to provide examples of your leadership abilities, stengths & weaknesses, and your work ethic.
-Be able to demonstrate your knowledge of pharmacy and in what direction you think the field is headed.
-Become familiar with the healthcare networks in Fort Wayne.

The only obscure interview question I was asked was, "What is the last book you read that was not school related?". I'm not sure how much the interview process has changed since last year but I have heard that it is very similar. Also, there is a small group project on interview day. Make sure you participate and be able to communicate with your group.

all right thank you! Hope I do well! Is anybody else is going on interview tomorrow?

Hi! I'm Ruchita, Good luck for your interview! I'll see you tomorrow :)

Anyone get a committe hold status and get in? And why do they do that exactly. Feedback would be helpful!! :)

Has anyone heard back from the feb 9th interview? :confused:

Hello everyone!
I am thinking about applying, but would like to know about the diversity of the student body and the surrounding areas. I realize the deadline is coming up so I need to make a decision ASAP. Is anyone from CA? Thoughts?

Thanks for your input!

Hello!
Anyone attending the March 16th interview? I am really nervous because this is my first pharmacy school interview ever. I applied to 6 other schools and this was the only one I heard back from so far yet. The interview is half the battle right? I was wondering what are my chances of getting into this school from this point now?

Any help or advice would be appreciated !

Hello everyone!
I am thinking about applying, but would like to know about the diversity of the student body and the surrounding areas. I realize the deadline is coming up so I need to make a decision ASAP. Is anyone from CA? Thoughts?

Thanks for your input!
The demographics of the student body for the class of 2016 are as follows:

Male - 45%

AGE RANGE
20y - 41y
Mean of 25y

ETHNICITY
Caucasian - 52%
Asian - 27%
African/African-American - 13%
Hispanic/Latino - 3%
Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander - 2%
Not Reported 5%

HOME STATE
Indiana - 44%
Michigan - 9%
Illinois - 8%
California - 8%
Texas - 6%
New Jersey - 3%
Ohio - 3%
Virgina - 3%
(10 other states)

Check online for Fort Wayne demographics but as an observation, there is a white majority with a significant black minority. In addition, there is quite a large Amish population in the area as well as the largest Burmese population in the United States. Fort Wayne is the second largest city in Indiana with a population around a quarter-million.

Hello...I just received an invitation to Manchester for an interview. I am excited. Anyone have tips? Thanks!

Hi,
Since you already go to the school. How do you like it so far? How is the curriculum? Is there a lot of resources where they help the students? Are there student's not passing the class? In general how do you like the school? And most importantly this school has a religion based foundation, to they pressure you with their religion? Any more pointers on the interview. thanks

The demographics of the student body for the class of 2016 are as follows:

Male - 45%

AGE RANGE
20y - 41y
Mean of 25y

ETHNICITY
Caucasian - 52%
Asian - 27%
African/African-American - 13%
Hispanic/Latino - 3%
Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander - 2%
Not Reported 5%

HOME STATE
Indiana - 44%
Michigan - 9%
Illinois - 8%
California - 8%
Texas - 6%
New Jersey - 3%
Ohio - 3%
Virgina - 3%
(10 other states)

Check online for Fort Wayne demographics but as an observation, there is a white majority with a significant black minority. In addition, there is quite a large Amish population in the area as well as the largest Burmese population in the United States. Fort Wayne is the second largest city in Indiana with a population around a quarter-million.
Also, how is the area, is it pretty safe? If the school closes early where does everyone study??

I interviewed last year and the actual 'one on one' interview lasts somewhere between 20 and 40 minutes. Here are some things you should know:

-Be prepared to explain why you want to go to Manchester and justify what your plans will be if you are not accepted.
-Be able to provide examples of your leadership abilities, stengths & weaknesses, and your work ethic.
-Be able to demonstrate your knowledge of pharmacy and in what direction you think the field is headed.
-Become familiar with the healthcare networks in Fort Wayne.

The only obscure interview question I was asked was, "What is the last book you read that was not school related?". I'm not sure how much the interview process has changed since last year but I have heard that it is very similar. Also, there is a small group project on interview day. Make sure you participate and be able to communicate with your group.
Hi,
Since you already go to the school. How do you like it so far? How is the curriculum? Is there a lot of resources where they help the students? Are there student's not passing the class? In general how do you like the school? And most importantly this school has a religion based foundation, to they pressure you with their religion? Any more pointers on the interview. thanks

Also, how is the area, is it pretty safe? If the school closes early where does everyone study??
The area around the school is very commercial so yes, it is pretty safe. Most students live within a 5-15min commute to the school and most of these areas are also safe. I'm sure that there are high-crime areas closer to downtown but since it is farther away from the school, it doesn't pose much of a problem to anyone.

The school closes at 10pm on weekdays and is not open on weekends. However, I know that many of us have been attempting to persuade the staff to give students access to the building on weekends so hopefully this will be something that will change by next year. When the school is closed, we all just study at home or someone else's place. If you do not like to study at home, there are quite a few other colleges and universities here which do have access to their facilities on weekends so I guess that is also an option.

Hi,
I am quite content with the decision I made to come here. My only complaint is Fort Wayne itself but that is mainly because I lived in a more urban area for most of life and am not really used to a more rural environment. Anyways, the school work is challenging and relevant; it certainly is not a cakewalk. I've kept in contact with several friends from my undergrad and from what I've gathered, Manchester's coursework is equally or more demanding. Quite a few students here (myself included) turned down other schools to come here so I find it necessary to emphasize that this school should NOT be anyone's "last resort" just because it is a new school. Since it is the school's first year of operation there are undoubtedly some kinks that need to be worked out and I'm guessing that the incoming class will benefit from that.

As students, we are given access to a variety of online of drug databases that you will use for pretty much every assignment you will do and during the first semester you will learn how to use them. We have a Drug Information Center with hardback resources and every faculty member I can think of is available to help out students. Additionally, each of us has a "mentor" which is a faculty member who helps out students on a more personal level and we all get to know our mentors pretty well. In fact, when I was sick for a week, my mentor offered to come bring me food and anything else I needed because I couldn't leave my apartment. Some (maybe all but I'm not sure) of the mentors will take their students out to lunch occasionally just to catch up.

Haha, Religion? The most religious thing I have ever experienced at school was seeing a small Christmas tree in the corner of the lobby during finals week. As for religiosity at the campus in North Manchester, I have no clue. Most of us have only been there once or twice (white coat ceremony & bookstore). One of the main points MUSOP tries to get across is "cultural competency" and there are several assignment, projects, and lectures that teach us how to interact with patients of different backgrounds.

I know of people who had to remediate our Biomed class first semester (you need at least a 60% to be eligible for remediation), but we still have all our students so I am guessing that no one did absolutely terrible.

The only other thing I can say about the interview is that if you are offered an interview, you have the same chance as anyone else there to be offered a spot. Make yourself stand out, be confident, and demonstrate your knowledge as best as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, my name is Noor I have my interview tommorrow on march 16th at Manchester and I am really nervous., I know this is a late interview but I applied late. Can anyone let me know what kind of questions they asked in the interview and if there was an essay assignment? What kind of question is it and how long do they give to write it and how long does it have to be? Please if anyone can answer this by today I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you so much! It would be a great help!

Has anyone from the March 16th interview heard anything yet?

No. Stilling waiting... We should definitely hear something this week.

I interviewed sometime in January and was placed on the committee hold list. Was anyone else placed on this list and if so, has your status changed? After my interview, this school became a top pick so I'm getting more and more nervous as time goes by!

Did you hear anything back from the school today?

Interviewed on March 16! Application has been placed on Committee Hold. not exactly sure what it means, but at least I'm not waitlisted...or denied