This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! I found out that I was accepted today and I am currently living on the west coast so I don't think it really matters where you are from. I also have no ties to the Appalachian area if that helps.

Congrats!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I found out that I was accepted today and I am currently living on the west coast so I don't think it really matters where you are from. I also have no ties to the Appalachian area if that helps.

Congrats!! :soexcited::clap::clap::soexcited::claps::claps::banana::banana: You've gotta tell us your S T A T S ! ! Also like @mccortisol said, when did you apply? Give us the details! Hopefully I hear from them soon too :D

I know I'm talking of the future, but could someone tell me if I am competitive? My c/S gpa is 3.4/3.0. I haven't taken the mcat yet but I'm looking to take it in August and apply for the 2018/2019 season. I have about 100 volunteer hours but I work at a mental health group home full time. I have a research paper under my belt along with about 100 shadowing hours. I really want to participate in this program and have not, and am fairly confident, considered applying DO out of the gate.

Thanks for your advice and inputs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know I'm talking of the future, but could someone tell me if I am competitive? My c/S gpa is 3.4/3.0. I haven't taken the mcat yet but I'm looking to take it in August and apply for the 2018/2019 season. I have about 100 volunteer hours but I work at a mental health group home full time. I have a research paper under my belt along with about 100 shadowing hours. I really want to participate in this program and have not, and am fairly confident, considered applying DO out of the gate.

Thanks for your advice and inputs.

Depending on your MCAT, you could try applying for DO out of the gate for sure and then have the application transferred over if the cycle isn't showing anything by January. You have some good experiences and that mental health group work can easily be spun into some good essays.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations! It's exciting to hear that they have started accepting.

Do you mind me asking what your stats were? And when did you apply?

Congrats!!!!

Congrats!! :soexcited::clap::clap::soexcited::claps::claps::banana::banana: You've gotta tell us your S T A T S ! ! Also like @mccortisol said, when did you apply? Give us the details! Hopefully I hear from them soon too :D

Thanks for the Congrats everyone! My application was complete Feb 2 but I think they rushed to process mine b/c I was accepted into another post-bacc and my deadline for the other program is in 2 weeks.

non-trad, lots of research/clinical experiences, and publications.

Good Luck Everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hello all. Does the VCOM Post-Bacc have a program at all three campuses?

Thanks for the Congrats everyone! My application was complete Feb 2 but I think they rushed to process mine b/c I was accepted into another post-bacc and my deadline for the other program is in 2 weeks.

~3.3 cgpa
~3.2sgpa
494 MCAT
non-trad, lots of research/clinical experiences, and publications.

Good Luck Everyone!

Nice! My GPA is lower but my MCAT is higher, so you've given me some extra hope being far from the region. :)

Hello all. Does the VCOM Post-Bacc have a program at all three campuses?

No, it's only at the VA campus. If you're admitted to the med school through the program, they'll move you to the school closest to your permanent address.

So I got an update from the program that my file will be sent to the admissions committee by end of next week or so. I didn't call, as some of you suggested, she responded thru the email. :)

Anyways, did you guys know about their laptop policy? They require a windows-based laptop and Mac's are not allowed due to their exam apps..lol...

http://www.vcom.edu/students/computer-requirements
Oh no :( thats all I use... crap.

I will be submitting my application tomorrow. I was also having a tough time trying to write the essays.
Have you submitted it already? We could always edit each others if you havent... I plan to submit this saturday.

Guys, I had a quick question, for CV, say I took a class online (orgo), would I put that online college on my resume? and would I put it above my undergraduate college?

CONGRATS!!!! :D

They select your location based off your permanent address. If it's closer to PA then they shouldnt move you.
Not true - everyone in the class this year who are from Maryland is closer to the VA campus but they are being sent to Spartanburg.

Guys, I had a quick question, for CV, say I took a class online (orgo), would I put that online college on my resume? and would I put it above my undergraduate college?

A singular class? Probably not.

Not true - everyone in the class this year who are from Maryland is closer to the VA campus but they are being sent to Spartanburg.

That's interesting. They definitely made it sound like you could stay at the campus closest to your permanent address. Why is it so important to get people to their other locations?

Members don't see this ad :)
Still considering on applying to this. Been waiting on other schools right now.

I got a call from Virginia today. It was from the Richmond area code and nobody left a message. Pretty sure it was a telemarketer/scam call. Why, cruel world?

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, if I get accepted then I'll probably get a Thinkpad or Acer, or Lenovo...something less than $200 would be nice!

GL with your App!
Aw thanks, probably will have to do the same here. I'll probably bring my mac for my own use though, can't live without it anymore haha.

I got a call from Virginia today. It was from the Richmond area code and nobody left a message. Pretty sure it was a telemarketer/scam call. Why, cruel world?
Aghhhh. The stress.

Hi everyone! Congrats to those who got in and good luck to those applying!

I'm a NJ resident with a 3.1 cGPA and 3.0 sGPA with a 493 mcat score. I just transferred my DO application over yesterday. Anyone think I have a chance to get in?

Hi everyone! Congrats to those who got in and good luck to those applying!

I'm a NJ resident with a 3.1 cGPA and 3.0 sGPA with a 493 mcat score. I just transferred my DO application over yesterday. Anyone think I have a chance to get in?

That MCAT is pretty rough, but not lethal considering you'd just need to have an even higher GPA in the post-bacc program. It'll probably depend on your ECs and essays.

How long do you think it would take to review an accept/deny an application if submitted on feb 16? Would you say 2-3 weeks...4?

I submitted on 1/31 and haven't heard back yet, so I wouldn't expect anything faster than 4 weeks.

Okay I guess. Hoping it would be faster since we are like 2 months from deadline. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Around now is where the DO applicants start panicking and applying to post-bacc programs, so you're competing with a lot of people.

Reactions: 1 users
How long do you think it would take to review an accept/deny an application if submitted on feb 16? Would you say 2-3 weeks...4?

They have been known to generally take 4-6 weeks (closer to 6 weeks for most people). I applied on Jan 8, and they didn't complete calculating my GPA and putting my application together until 3 weeks from then.

Last edited:
I actually transferred the secondary from them to the post bacc program back in November and haven't heard anything back yet so its probably going to be awhile

I actually transferred the secondary from them to the post bacc program back in November and haven't heard anything back yet so its probably going to be awhile
Same, though mine was in the first week of December. Did we have additional requirements for the application short of making sure all the components from the DO app made it over to the post-bacc program? Ms. Hewitt said my file was complete and processed, but I keep seeing that people did a separate application for the post-bacc and I'm severely paranoid now.

Same, though mine was in the first week of December. Did we have additional requirements for the application short of making sure all the components from the DO app made it over to the post-bacc program? Ms. Hewitt said my file was complete and processed, but I keep seeing that people did a separate application for the post-bacc and I'm severely paranoid now.
I dont believe so. If the application is complete i guess its just a waiting game from here

Oh no :( thats all I use... crap.

fwiw, a I've seen a couple of my classmates use Macs for exams and they've had no issues with ExamSoft. I think that policy may be a CYA in case ExamSoft does crap out on a Mac, but I've never seen it. That being said, I bought a Windows computer when I was planning on using Mac but I don't regret it. I also have a buddy who is in Med School that uses a Mac and he hasn't had a problem with ExamSoft either. Take that as you will

Yeah, if I get accepted then I'll probably get a Thinkpad or Acer, or Lenovo...something less than $200 would be nice!

GL with your App!

fwiw, a I've seen a couple of my classmates use Macs for exams and they've had no issues with ExamSoft. I think that policy may be a CYA in case ExamSoft does crap out on a Mac, but I've never seen it. That being said, I bought a Windows computer when I was planning on using Mac but I don't regret it. I also have a buddy who is in Med School that uses a Mac and he hasn't had a problem with ExamSoft either. Take that as you will

I think what they do is install bootcamp and have the Macbook run windows 10. Then it's just like any other windows running computer. That's what I did with a macbook on Examsoft. After the exam, you can go back to OS X if you prefer that

Okay thanks!! I'll probably do what you did and buy a windows laptop <$200. I don't want to risk that during an exam. Especially since I'm one of those people where if anything can go wrong... it will , bad luck gah. Thanks for the reply :)

Quick question.

I've graduated in 2015 and my premed letter or Rec. does not count towards post bacc programs. This means I have to get a LOR from a science faculty member. My question is, does the program accept letters from math faculty? Not quite sure if my science faculty members would remember me as much as this professor does.

Quick question.

I've graduated in 2015 and my premed letter or Rec. does not count towards post bacc programs. This means I have to get a LOR from a science faculty member. My question is, does the program accept letters from math faculty? Not quite sure if my science faculty members would remember me as much as this professor does.
Why doesnt your letters count? I used mine and i graduated in 2013 and i didnt have any issues. As long as they are from professors that actually taught you and gave you a grade you should be fine

Quick question.

I called the office when I was applying to ask the same question. I had an excellent Bio Stats letter but a little less excellent Physics letter. They told me that it had to be a science course so I sent in the LOR from my Physics professor. :confused:

Hopefully we will hear something this week... (fingers crossed)

Hopefully we will hear something this week... (fingers crossed)

I was thinking the same thing today. I watch this thread like a hawk (I'm always at a computer though :p) looking for updates of people getting in.

Anyone else here apply to the George Squared (Georgetown Masters in Physiology) program?

Can any current or previous student comment on the structure and support of the program? I'm not asking if it's tough, I expect it to be tough but did you feel you had adequate support through out the program when trying to reach out to professors / staff etc?

Can any current or previous student comment on the structure and support of the program? I'm not asking if it's tough, I expect it to be tough but did you feel you had adequate support through out the program when trying to reach out to professors / staff etc?

You can read through this thread and threads for previous years to get a feel for what people think of the program. Most speak very highly of it. Have you already applied?

For your apps, did you guys put specific dates (month/date/year) in the work/volunteer sections, or did you opt for (month/year)? I went for (month/year), and I'm hoping they didn't want me to be more specific. So just wanted some input from those who applied already as well (Sorry, I know its a silly question). :D

You can read through this thread and threads for previous years to get a feel for what people think of the program. Most speak very highly of it. Have you already applied?

I've been thinking about it...I just heard about the program recently. I plan on retaking my horrendous MCAT this upcoming May. CGPA 3.4 and SGPA 3.3. I figured I'll wait till next cycle because it's sorta late already..?

For your apps, did you guys put specific dates (month/date/year) in the work/volunteer sections, or did you opt for (month/year)? I went for (month/year), and I'm hoping they didn't want me to be more specific. So just wanted some input from those who applied already as well (Sorry, I know its a silly question). :D

Just month and year.

I've been thinking about it...I just heard about the program recently. I plan on retaking my horrendous MCAT this upcoming May. CGPA 3.4 and SGPA 3.3. I figured I'll wait till next cycle because it's sorta late already..?

I don't think it's too late if you can get things together quickly. Lots of seats available this year.

Just month and year.

I don't think it's too late if you can get things together quickly. Lots of seats available this year.

Oh yea? how many spots do they have left? I bet its gonna get intense next year because of the grade replacement rule.

Oh yea? how many spots do they have left? I bet its gonna get intense next year because of the grade replacement rule.
It's 100 seats. So far only one person has been accepted(info only on sdn). It maybe more...

Reactions: 1 users
When did everyone submit their applications? I am also eagerly waiting on updates.

Do you guys think its going to hurt me my application that I'm from new york. Are they only accepting virgina applicants????? is vcom in state friendly

Do you guys think its going to hurt me my application that I'm from new york. Are they only accepting virgina applicants????? is vcom in state friendly

Someone got accepted from Cali.