2017 Psych Board exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc1401

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who took the exam- how did you all feel coming out of it? I thought it was more difficult than expected

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I took the adult exam 4 years ago, but I took the CAPS exam yesterday. I didn't think the exam was difficult per se, as there really weren't any second or third-order type questions. However, there was a lot of totally random nonsense questions about rats and experimental design.

I took the adult exam 4 years ago, but I took the CAPS exam yesterday. I didn't think the exam was difficult per se, as there really weren't any second or third-order type questions. However, there was a lot of totally random nonsense questions about rats and experimental design.

What did you use to study for cap exam

Members don't see this ad :)
Just took adult boards, I thought it was difficult. I was expecting vignettes to be difficult but did not expect stand alone questions to be that difficult..how was one supposed to study for that

That is what I thinking. I was told by everyone that it will be a "piece of cake" but even if I was given a lot more time to study, I would still not be able to answer many of those questions.

Supposedly it used to be straightforward. I switched residencies my 3rd year from a new program to an established one and went to register mid-March and missed the deadline. I sure wish I could have taken it then. No one at my program said hey make sure you register by such and such date and being the exam was in Sept I was sure I was plenty ahead. The other residents just knew from prior residents

Every test has always felt like a roll of the dice for me. It's done. Score reports will be out in 10-12 weeks and either I don't take it again, or I do.

I felt fine about it but o think that's a function of a couple things:

1) When doing questions from a Q-bank I get immediate feedback telling me I was wrong and rolling through 480 questions without being told I'm an idiot helps me roll with false confidence.

2) Either I knew the questions quite confidently or I didn't know at all. I think if I get multiple questions where I know it a bit but not enough, it causes more anxiety and thus greater perception of not doing well. On questions I'm clueless about I can make a quick guess and move on without a lot of mental stress. So if there were a ton of those, plus other questions I got right, I may have done more poorly than anticipated.

We'll see in "no later than 10-12 weeks" + postal delivery delay.

It looks like this years board exam was harder than prior years

This was the first year they had DSM-5, no? So that probably means several new questions added to the question pool.

Frustrating given what we pay for the exam. About 3x the USMLE and much poorer quality.

If this is to be trusted it's somewhat interesting: https://www.abpn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/ABPN-Pass-Rates-5-Year-Summary.pdf

The pass rate on the adult boards for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 have been 87%, 87%, 90%, 88%, and 90%. For CAP the same years have been 97%, 97%, 92%, 86%, and 84%. Not that anyone can influence their score anymore, but you can decide if you want these stats to worry you or not.

Btw, I took the CAP boards today. I found these stats 2 days ago to decide if I should be studying harder or not. Not quite the trend I was hoping for...

Members don't see this ad :)
I did adult psych last year and thought it was hard (as did everyone else I knew), but thankfully we all passed.

I took CAP yesterday. Although I beefed up my studying this year and felt prepared walking in, I still encountered many difficult questions. The good news is that I think I did better on the vignette portion, but several of the standalone questions took me by surprise.

I really don't understand the purpose of these exams. Are they designed to test our ability to competently practice psychiatry? I don't think they are. Very few questions relate to diagnosis and management. Instead, it seems that the question writers love to test our knowledge on useless trivia.

Reactions: 1 user
I was thinking the same thing, some of the questions were test of useless trivia things

I did adult psych last year and thought it was hard (as did everyone else I knew), but thankfully we all passed.

I took CAP yesterday. Although I beefed up my studying this year and felt prepared walking in, I still encountered many difficult questions. The good news is that I think I did better on the vignette portion, but several of the standalone questions took me by surprise.

I really don't understand the purpose of these exams. Are they designed to test our ability to competently practice psychiatry? I don't think they are. Very few questions relate to diagnosis and management. Instead, it seems that the question writers love to test our knowledge on useless trivia.

You must be referring to the multiple questions involving rats and experimental design?

What score / percentage is needed to pass the psychiatry board?

What score / percentage is needed to pass the psychiatry board?

Last year passing was 71%. The year before passing was 69%. Who knows what it will be this year.

Do they remove questions/experimental questions or is it a "raw count"?

I knew some questions right away, some guessed and 5 silly mistakes in stand alone questions

Vignettes, don't know if I picked what they wanted. 2 questions from vignettes I know I got wrong because next question gave it away

I guess will see...

Same. I didn't feel all that great walking out of it. Hope I passed.

Same. I didn't feel all that great walking out of it. Hope I passed.
Even if you didn't, who cares. The only ones that will care if you needed to retake it are snobs. The only person you have to please is yourself.

We'll break you of your institutionalization.

Reactions: 3 users
Even if you didn't, who cares. The only ones that will care if you needed to retake it are snobs. The only person you have to please is yourself.

We'll break you of your institutionalization.

Wisdom. If the test actually tested us on clinical knowledge and skills, then maybe there would be a reason to feel bad for not passing.

Wisdom. If the test actually tested us on clinical knowledge and skills, then maybe there would be a reason to feel bad for not passing.
Careful what you wish for. The ABPN will bring back live patient exams or worse, standardized actors. Actually, this would cost way too much.

That is pronounced "Paperage Fams Rememers" Boy are we dating ourselves. Remember those Quisp and Quake commercials?

I missed the exam due to illness and went to the doctors. They said to send the doctors note in and I may be able to just pay a $400 fee to test next year so I thought why not? I scanned the letter and thanked the ABPN and said I was quite upset that I couldn't take the exam. They had me pay a $200 fee and I am taking it Oct 19. I have gone through all of Clive and Spiegel and Beat the Boards. I know the questions so well I can read the first few words and answer them. I'm not expecting to pass, I have an impossible time with the vignettes and can't get all of them right and no matter how much I study neuro, the strokes and where what happens I will never know in the brain. From the comments here, I can only hope the curve it bigtime.

How much biostats do they expect you to know for these tests?

Why is that?
I did my first two years at a brand new residency and my second two years at a different program. Neither program had any interest in having a non-neuro resident. Last year I used Klive and Spiegel this year I am using BTB and the same book with a tad of neurology for psychiatrists and thinking back to the questions on the exam last year they just didn't cover it. I didn't really get neuro in med school either, that and cardio. I go over the different conduction deficits and just cant tell the differences. Neuro and the vignettes kill me. I am way burned out from studying. I let it take over my summer, I worked very little and did nothing else but study. I should have passed on taking it in October.

How much biostats do they expect you to know for these tests?
UGH another subject I don't get. I honored it in undergrad, but when we had lectures in residency the attending said it was somehow different and I had to unlearn what I learned in undergrad. I know the basic terms but don't bother with anova t square.

Hey everyone! I took my psych boards this week, of course feel like **** lol and looking for reassurance that those of you who were worried ended up passing? Thanks!

Hey everyone! I took my psych boards this week, of course feel like **** lol and looking for reassurance that those of you who were worried ended up passing? Thanks!
It’s ok to feel bad. I hear a lot of people complain about these video vignettes