2017 UCSF pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
well, looks like I couldn't submit it because of the "military service" quesiton that I couldn't edit... I guess we'll find out in the morning if they make an exception. Do you two who had problems think that we will be excused with this technical difficulty? It was something wrong with their system...

It would be really nice if they would give an exception because it's obviously some error with their system. But it really could go either way.

Hopefully in ten months we'll all be sharing a beer in SF laughing about this whole thing!

Good luck! Post if you hear anything from UCSF Admin.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
constant refreshing in multiple tabs really does help. One of them has to work, right?

THIS! THANK YOU!

I pasted my essays and paid my fee at 2:59, and at 3:00 the website crashed. It took me until 8:00 to finally get logged in (thanks to this handy tip!) just to press the "submit" button. Geez louise, that was stressful. I hope everyone else that was trying to get in was successful.

Anyway, I'm submitted and now I wait.

Just as a side note, I was treated like an idiot when I called to find out information about what was going on. First the guy lectured me about waiting till the last minute, which I understand is my fault and I realize they provided ample warning. But then the jerk proceeded to laugh at me when I asked if there was any other way I could submit my application, since it was already complete and paid for. And I don't mean a chuckle or scoff, but full on laughing hysterically. I seriously had to sit there and wait for him to catch his breath just so he could say no.
I'm sure I was probably the hundredth person or so that called him about this, but that's still no excuse to be downright mean about it.
 
So...should we email admissions? Or just wait? It's kind of misleading, since they say they'll take care of it applicant by applicant, suggesting that we should shoot them an email...but the patience part suggests that we should wait.

I've paid my fee too 🙁 Hopefully that's proof enough?
 
Last edited:
I had the same problem, could not fix the military status question. I tried for about 2 hours. I've emailed them with screen shots. With so many of you with the exact issue and Joel's blogpost about reviewing each applicant's issues, I hope they will allow us to submit.
 
So...should we email admissions? Or just wait? It's kind of misleading, since they say they'll take care of it applicant by applicant, suggesting that we should shoot them an email...but the patience part suggests that we should wait.

I've paid my fee too 🙁 Hopefully that's proof enough?


I would send them an email. Tell them you know it might take some time for them to get to your application but that you experienced the problem with the military service error and would like to submit your application. That way they know who to contact.

Good luck!
 
I submitted yesterday but I feel sad afterwards. I was planning to work on my essays more after I get off work but I ended up spending my time refreshing the webpage, my essays weren't ready and it's not the best....I am in depressed mode right now.
 
I submitted yesterday but I feel sad afterwards. I was planning to work on my essays more after I get off work but I ended up spending my time refreshing the webpage, my essays weren't ready and it's not the best....I am in depressed mode right now.

i feel your painnnn
 
I was wondering did you guys receive a confirmation email from UCSF? Is there a way to log back into the UCSF supp. app?
 
Anyone heard anything about how to submit our applications? I know they're working on it, but I can't help feeling nervous...
 
Anyone heard anything about how to submit our applications? I know they're working on it, but I can't help feeling nervous...

I got an email from Joel on Friday saying they were still trying to decide what to do but they were working on it and to be patient. I assume they are taking the weekend away from the problem so I wouldn't expect to hear anything before mid-week. Did you ever email them?
 
I got an email from Joel on Friday saying they were still trying to decide what to do but they were working on it and to be patient. I assume they are taking the weekend away from the problem so I wouldn't expect to hear anything before mid-week. Did you ever email them?

Yup, I did! I also got a reply on Friday. Joel said that we will absolutely be able to submit our applications once they find a plan-of-attack. I would be more confident if my mom didn't keep telling me that it's my fault for procrastinating so she wouldn't be surprised if they don't even try to fix the issue and cancel all our applications. While I agree with her, I still feel horrible because I took FREAKING FOREVER on those essays. Not to mention I've been enamored by UCSF for the past couple months.

But I won't be surprised if this becomes one of the reasons for them to reject me... >_>
 
Yup, I did! I also got a reply on Friday. Joel said that we will absolutely be able to submit our applications once they find a plan-of-attack. I would be more confident if my mom didn't keep telling me that it's my fault for procrastinating so she wouldn't be surprised if they don't even try to fix the issue and cancel all our applications. While I agree with her, I still feel horrible because I took FREAKING FOREVER on those essays. Not to mention I've been enamored by UCSF for the past couple months.

But I won't be surprised if this becomes one of the reasons for them to reject me... >_>


They really don't seem to be that mean spirited. Would you really want to go the school if they were anyway? A lot of people waited until the last minute not because they were lazy or procrastinators but becausethey wanted their essays to be the best they could be and I think the school understands that. If they had not addressed the issue at all, let alone at 10:30pm on the night of the issue, I would be concerned. However, their quick response and their emails show me that they are understanding and sympathetic to our situation. They will let us submit our applications. In the meantime this whole process is very stressful even without the computer glitch we experienced, don't listen to people who are adding to the stress. Be proud of how far you've come. If you get into UCSF AMAZING! If you don't life will go on and your life will be just as wonderful and fulfilling.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The admissions committee/staff at UCSF are very understanding and amazing. I would not worry about this for the time being. Instead, I would focus on your interviews if you have any coming up or the courses you are now taking. I know it's harder said than done. You will realize UCSF has so much to offer and the genuine, caring people and environment make it all the more better. When the end of December rolls around and you start getting interview notifications, you'll think back to this moment and laugh, and then fast forward to March, it will seem as if it was nothing. Enjoy your time for now and good luck to you all. 🙂
 
You should get an email almost immediately saying that the payment was verified.

Does the email jsut say that "thank you for your order!" and has ur billing info and stuff??

I only got that, I never got an email saying my application was recieved/submitted..
 
Does the email jsut say that "thank you for your order!" and has ur billing info and stuff??

I only got that, I never got an email saying my application was recieved/submitted..

If you log back into your supplemental it should say if yours was submitted correctly or not. If not then you will get a chance to resubmit it.
 
Last edited:
well not so much harm you, but I'm thinking that most people would have filled it out and when admissions is comparing you to other applicants with it filled out it might give them an upper edge over you?

haha I'm not sure if that made sense

I think that if you do not have anything to put in that box then its best to leave it blank. You don't want to come across as though you are grasping at straws. Similarly with the socioeconomic question (I think that was the one about money issues), if you didn't have hardship paying for school, I wouldn't try and write about how you did. Just being honest, thoughtful and concise is enough IMO.
 
well not so much harm you, but I'm thinking that most people would have filled it out and when admissions is comparing you to other applicants with it filled out it might give them an upper edge over you?

haha I'm not sure if that made sense

I suggest reading Joel's blog.
 
I think everyone should submit their applications by now. Do yall mind to share your stats? I'm excited to know more about the people who are applying this year cycle. I'll go first
Current institution: UC Santa Barbara
Major: Biochemistry
Ethnicity: Asian
GPA: 3.65 cumulative, 3.7 pre-pharm
Extracurricular: 2 years of leadership positions, founder of a club, currently running another club
Health experience: my extracurricular activity is somewhat relevant to healthcare
Research: 1 year working in a research lab
Unique circumstance: I came to the U.S in 2007.
You don't have to follow my format, just share whatever you feel comfortable.
 
I think everyone should submit their applications by now. Do yall mind to share your stats? I'm excited to know more about the people who are applying this year cycle. I'll go first
Current institution: UC Santa Barbara
Major: Biochemistry
Ethnicity: Asian
GPA: 3.65 cumulative, 3.7 pre-pharm
Extracurricular: 2 years of leadership positions, founder of a club, currently running another club
Health experience: my extracurricular activity is somewhat relevant to healthcare
Research: 1 year working in a research lab
Unique circumstance: I came to the U.S in 2007.
You don't have to follow my format, just share whatever you feel comfortable.

Assessing the nature of the competition? 😉
 
As a P1 here, my advice would actually be to not compare stats online. It'll only stress you out because no matter what, there's always someone better than you at something. Having gone through the whole admissions process and getting to know my classmates, I've realized the whole process is very holistic and not numbers driven.

Really, the best advice I can give is to be confident in yourself and understand what you have to offer this school and incoming class. Be genuine, be true to your passions, and it will show in your application and interview.
 
As a P1 here, my advice would actually be to not compare stats online. It'll only stress you out because no matter what, there's always someone better than you at something. Having gone through the whole admissions process and getting to know my classmates, I've realized the whole process is very holistic and not numbers driven.

Really, the best advice I can give is to be confident in yourself and understand what you have to offer this school and incoming class. Be genuine, be true to your passions, and it will show in your application and interview.

ok thanks, 🙂. I'm excited and worried at the same time.
 
Has anyone heard anything yet? I understand they're probably working hard from the fiasco on Nov 1st. I'm just getting a little anxious.
 
In years past it seems they send out letters around winter break. A lot of people seem to post a day or two before Christmas that they got an interview letter, so I would be surprised if any one hears anything before mid-December. It sounded like they received more applications than usual this cycle too, so don't get too anxious, you've got a while to wait.
 
Just heard from them yesterday 🙂 just that they received everything and DO NOT CONTACT THEM.. Lol they will contact the applicant to invite for interview once everything is reviewed.

Anyone else get this?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app
 
Just heard from them yesterday 🙂 just that they received everything and DO NOT CONTACT THEM.. Lol they will contact the applicant to invite for interview once everything is reviewed.

Anyone else get this?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

I got it too.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just heard from them yesterday 🙂 just that they received everything and DO NOT CONTACT THEM.. Lol they will contact the applicant to invite for interview once everything is reviewed.

Anyone else get this?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app
Yup! I got the same message via email on 11/26 😉
 
Just heard from them yesterday 🙂 just that they received everything and DO NOT CONTACT THEM.. Lol they will contact the applicant to invite for interview once everything is reviewed.

Anyone else get this?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

yup, got it as well. definitely made me feel a bit better after all this waiting.
 
No, I'm also waiting for the e-mail. I submitted my secondary apps in early October, so maybe they haven't gotten to us yet....
 
I wonder when we will hear about interviews? Based on last years forums, people began hearing on the Monday of the 3rd week of Dec. which would be the 17th this year (19th last year). I wonder if things will be the same this year or if they will be delayed because of the hurricane delaying the deadline and also the problem with the servers at UCSF going down on the last day. Any thoughts?
 
I wonder when we will hear about interviews? Based on last years forums, people began hearing on the Monday of the 3rd week of Dec. which would be the 17th this year (19th last year). I wonder if things will be the same this year or if they will be delayed because of the hurricane delaying the deadline and also the problem with the servers at UCSF going down on the last day. Any thoughts?

Did you not get the email sent by UCSF when they received all your app materials? Joel's blog also says when interview invites are sent. And the UCSF website.
http://pharmacy.ucsf.edu/pharmd/admissions/steps/3/. Goodness gracious.
 
Did you not get the email sent by UCSF when they received all your app materials? Joel's blog also says when interview invites are sent. And the UCSF website.
http://pharmacy.ucsf.edu/pharmd/admissions/steps/3/. Goodness gracious.

No need to be rude about it. And yes I know that it says mid December as it always says on their website, hence why I said we should expect to hear December 17th if things go the same as last year. The question, however, was if anyone knows if things will be delayed because of the delayed deadlines this year as a result of the hurricane on the east coast and the server issues at UCSF.
 
I encourage those of you invited to interview at UCSF to ask the current students about thier quality of life. Quality of life will be a major factor in your pharmacy school experience (two years of coursework!). Perhaps it's worth asking at each school where you interview?
For perspective, a UCSF medical student recently described their quality of life as "not as bad as the pharm students" at UCSF. I encourage you to explore that aspect of your pharmacy school experiences and include it in your decisions....
 
Yowza... I talked to a couple pharmacy students and they seemed to be doing okay. What makes it so awful for UCSF pharm students?
 
I've talked to maybe 3 or 4 students and they all said they loved it...

It's AMAZING here at UCSF. Sometimes I have to pause for a minute and think about whether or not I'm really at this school. Keep in mind that amazing doesn't necessarily mean easy and relaxed since I think UCSF's curriculum is pretty rigorous and challenging. However, there's so much support and collaboration between students and administration. I've never had class with so many people willing to help you out and share whatever knowledge, insights, and study materials they have.

Now, regarding the quality of life comment previously made, that's probably stemming from the fact that pharmacy is graded whereas medicine is Pass/Fail. Also, year 2 is where things get really tough, but the P3's say it's doable. It's definitely the rite of passage year. Make sure you understand that going to UCSF won't be a cakewalk and the quickest/easiest way to get a PharmD.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I encourage those of you invited to interview at UCSF to ask the current students about thier quality of life. Quality of life will be a major factor in your pharmacy school experience (two years of coursework!). Perhaps it's worth asking at each school where you interview?
For perspective, a UCSF medical student recently described their quality of life as "not as bad as the pharm students" at UCSF. I encourage you to explore that aspect of your pharmacy school experiences and include it in your decisions....


As one who sees the scene from inside the window, my perspective is that the pharmacy program at UCSF is quite amazing. A couple things that I personally love is the class/school unity and the support network that stems from it. Our classmates assemble all kinds of useful compilations of lectures and notes that make studying so much more manageable. Another thing is the sheer support in knowing that we are going through this program together and I want everyone of my classmates to make it through. So whether we help tutor or help encourage or just make em laugh, we all care for each other and that is special to me.

On the contrary, you are also right. This is not the easiest program to go through and I personally cannot compare it to the UCSF Medical program. I know people struggling and not everyone appreciates the pharmacy program as much as I do, but that is always going happen. There is always a distribution of opinions whether its normally distributed or skewed to the left or right. In closing, I would say that the majority of students do enjoy the program, enjoy the city, enjoy the challenge, and find ways to enjoy life even during adversity.
 
So from the looks of this blog: http://pharmdadmissions.ucsf.edu/2012/12/every-new-beginning-comes-from-some.html
it seems like the first batch of interviews will be sent out soon, if not already.

Anyone hear anything yet?

Nothing yet, and I leave tomorrow am to see my family out of state until the 27th 😛 I wish I had arranged for someone to open my mail for me. I am definitely filled with anxiety and hope. And the 'dramatic new interview process' sounds pretty exciting.
 
So from the looks of this blog: http://pharmdadmissions.ucsf.edu/2012/12/every-new-beginning-comes-from-some.html
it seems like the first batch of interviews will be sent out soon, if not already.

Anyone hear anything yet?

Huh... yeah it looks like they have already sent out the first round of rejection/invitation letters. Interesting that they decided to do letters instead of an email. Usually this forum updates pretty quickly if people have heard one way or another though, so I'm guessing they must have just been sent out yesterday.