2017 UCSF pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Same here. I kept checking my mailbox everyday since I heard the first batch of letters were sent and even told my neighborhood mailman to keep an eye out. However, I suspect I'll be notified by next year's batch of letters since I submitted my applications close to the deadline.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but from the UCSF pharmd admission site:
"If you have not received any notification from us, it means one of two things: (1) we have not received your PharmCAS application yet; or (2) we have simply not processed your completed application yet. Again, we will resume our work in January." So if we haven't heard anything yet, we're gonna have to wait up to January 11th (I think that was the goal).
 
Yeah, I think some of us hoped we would hear sooner than Jan. In other news, we can enjoy the new year 🙂 and start worrying for our lives 10 days later.

Btw, are there any first batch-ers??


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app
 
Yeah, I think some of us hoped we would hear sooner than Jan. In other news, we can enjoy the new year 🙂 and start worrying for our lives 10 days later.

Btw, are there any first batch-ers??


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

I believe when they said if you haven't heard from us, they didn't mean interview invites/rejections. I believe they meant receiving an email stating they received your application. It seems due to the site crashing and extending the deadline, things got pushed back, so they probably haven't sent out the first batch of interviews. Since offices are closed until Monday, January 7, no one will probably hear from them until that day through email. Enjoy your new years! 🙂
 
Hmm, when I saw Joel's blog on 12/21/12 stating "3. We will not be sending out any additional invitations/denials until we return in January" I took that to imply that a 1st batch of invitations/ denials were already sent out.

But I agree it's likely things got pushed back compared to last year since there seems to more applicants this year and their website had crashed.

However, I noticed that his post stated their office will reopen Jan 2, 2013.

http://pharmdadmissions.ucsf.edu/

Lastly, correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that this year they would be snail mailing the invites. I know last year they sent interview invites/denials via email, but their application confirmation email stated ""Invitations will be mailed". However, I wouldn't mind finding out via email since it's much faster. 🙂

Happy New Years!
 
I thought UCSD was going to mail them out, but I received an email from them. I would think it's much cheaper and easier to just send out some emails rather than mail everything out. Then again, it is more prone to errors.
 
"Our office will close this afternoon and not reopen until Wednesday, January 2nd." You guys don't need to even think about it until at least January 2nd. They closed down for a short Christmas break, but they'll be back at it shortly
 
Idk. I think it'd be really likely that at least one or two people from the forum get invitations. There are a good 30 or 40 people that have posted here, and many more that just read it. Statistically it's just very unlikely that no one has received anything, unless of course the first batch was really small. Anyways, no need to worry I guess. Happy New Year everybody!
 
Happy New Year!!! Here's to getting in to Pharmacy School guys 🙂


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app
 
omg im getting super anxious now.. sadly, none but one of the other schools i applied to replied to me :scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared: nothing yet from others?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
*still* nothing? I would expect people who were based in California would have received mail sent out on Wednesday by now...
 
Well January 11th is next week so at least we dont have much longer to wait. We got through this much time, a week more isnt too bad. Maybe they will be mailed out today and we will receive them monday or tuesday, maybe they wont be mailed out until next week and we will receive them on the last day, but at least its not going to be more than a week 🙂
 
Hey guys I got an email from admissions saying that my application got disqualified due to my supplemental application not getting there before the Nov 1st deadline??? I thought it was a joke so I went back to my email and I say that they received my supplemental app on Oct 30th. I am going to call them to see what their deal is. They sound like they are really unorganized.
 
That must be so frustrating! I hope it works out. How about emailing them back a copy of your application receipt? I got a copy of my application receipt for $60 the day I submitted. Then again, I paid on the day I submitted. I wish you the best of luck!
 
Personally I'm nervous about this "dramatic new interview process". I get enough stress from plain interviews! :laugh:
 
just a general question for you guys:

if you were admitted, how were you planning on affording UCSF? compared to the other schools I applied to, UCSF's tuition is kind of ridiculous.

for residents, tuition is 35k -- and that's not including rent, food, etc.

for non-residents tuition is 47k. :scared:

we're looking at a minimum investment of 140k (or 152k, if you start as a non-resident), and that doesn't take into account how expensive living in SF is, or the fact that UC tuition rates continually rise at above-inflation rates. not to mention, some people already have student debt (myself included!). 🙁

from everything I've heard, the amount of grants given to pharmacy students is close to nothing because of the 'expected earning power' of the degree (though numerous threads in this forum would have you believe otherwise).
 
just a general question for you guys:

if you were admitted, how were you planning on affording UCSF? compared to the other schools I applied to, UCSF's tuition is kind of ridiculous.

for residents, tuition is 35k -- and that's not including rent, food, etc.

for non-residents tuition is 47k. :scared:

we're looking at a minimum investment of 140k (or 152k, if you start as a non-resident), and that doesn't take into account how expensive living in SF is, or the fact that UC tuition rates continually rise at above-inflation rates. not to mention, some people already have student debt (myself included!). 🙁

from everything I've heard, the amount of grants given to pharmacy students is close to nothing because of the 'expected earning power' of the degree (though numerous threads in this forum would have you believe otherwise).

I think tuition costs are whats on everyones mind who is seriously planning for Pharm school. UCSF is on the expensive side of public schools, but compared to other private schools (in CA at least) its relatively cheap. And UCSF holds the number 1 ranking for its pharmacy school as well as many other health professional schools so provided you do well, from what I've heard, its not difficult to get a great job after. And while retail pharmacy chains no longer offer the incentives they used to to new graduates because there is such an abundance of them (like sign on bonuses or student loan repayment by the company) there are jobs out there (mostly in pharma industry) that DO offer full repayment of student loans as well as bonuses etc. But even if thats not something you want to do, if you truly do well at the school you are in and network etc. you should be able to get a job that allows you to pay off your loans in a few short years. I guess my point is, just try and get in and do you best at wherever you go and know that the enormous debt and eventual repayment is just a normal part of the process and can be done.

This is true for many professional schools. My sister went to a private law school in Manhattan and had to take out 120,000$ in student loans. But she was in the top 10% of her class at this prestigious school and had offers from the top 10 firms in NY, took a great job and where her starting salary was 165,000 (before taxes) as a lawyer. She lived lean while she was in school to minimize her debt by the time she graduated and continued to be careful with her money even when she was working but managed to pay it all off in 2 years. Now she makes more than double that salary and lives very comfortably. If pharmacy is truly what you want to do and you believe you can excel in it then you will find a way 🙂
 
Personally I'm nervous about this "dramatic new interview process". I get enough stress from plain interviews! :laugh:


Has the "new Interview style" been revealed yet? I know he (Joel) said he was going to write a post on it but I haven't seen anything yet. Or maybe I missed it. :/
 
Just got an interview invitation, but weird enough, it was through email! For February 2nd. Anyone else got anything??
 
Tampa, Florida! But I got it through an email, not through the regular mail. It was weird cause they had been telling us that it'd be via snail mail... I'm so confused lol
 
Likewise, congratulations Evanescero! I'm so happy for you. In the meantime, I guess this means they switched or are simply sending invites via email. I hope I get good news through email soon too.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got mine via email! Good luck to everyone

Date: Friday, February 1, 2013
Check-in: 10:30 AM
 
I wonder if its alphabetical? I havent heard anything but my last name is almost at the end of the alphabet 😛
 
Actually, for those who heard back, may we know which location you are from? 🙂

I'm from Nor-Cal and was hoping to discern if this year's notification pattern follows the trend of out-of-state applicants usually being notified first. (I haven't heard back either. 🙁 )

Joel's blog does mention that they aim to book applicants by location, but more so that out-of-state members get the Saturday interview and locals get the Thursday interview and the rest get the 3 Friday interviews.

Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Actually, for those who heard back, may we know which location you are from? 🙂

I'm from Nor-Cal and was hoping to discern if this year's notification pattern follows the trend of out-of-state applicants usually being notified first. (I haven't heard back either. 🙁 )

Joel's blog does mention that they aim to book applicants by location, but more so that out-of-state members get the Saturday interview and locals get the Thursday interview and the rest get the 3 Friday interviews.

Thanks!

Sure, I live in Tampa, Florida. Hope that helps! 🙂
 
My invitation was through email, for Feb 2. I'm from Ohio. 🙂
 
Last edited: