2017 UCSF pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
112288, you could've gotten your date changed! I had that same problem and they gate me another date! You should try! Did you confirm yet?

I'm going to keep the date as I think I have enough time for my evening flight. Thanks for the concern. Best of luck to you and everyone else 🙂
 
I'm going to keep the date as I think I have enough time for my evening flight. Thanks for the concern. Best of luck to you and everyone else 🙂

You and me both, buddy. I have a flight leaving from SF that day at 7 PM. I should think that would give me plenty of time for a morning interview
 
Congrats to everyone!...after researching MMI, I think I do really like it. The fact that is supposedly "reduces bias" is great. This may be one interview in my life that I am sort of looking forward to. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You and me both, buddy. I have a flight leaving from SF that day at 7 PM. I should think that would give me plenty of time for a morning interview

Ohhh yeah, that interview is a morning interview! Forgot.. The Feb. 8th one is at 1PM. You should be fine with a 7PM flight..I live in SF, like 15 minutes away from UCSF, and I think you should be fine with plenty of time to spare!! Haha.
 
Congratulations to Cheepcheep too! I am so excited for you and thank you for the demographics!

Actually, I heard from their info session last year they accepted someone lower than a 2.85 GPA - which is an exception. What had happened was the individual was initially turned down but he/she re-appealed and the school reconsidered on the basis that no matter how many courses he/she re-took, their college GPA from years ago would only marginally change, but he/she had proved him/herself worthy in so many other areas. Hope that helps!

Thanks so much and a BIG CONGRATS to you too for your interview invitation! That sadly doesn't apply in my case as I can be considered as a pretty young applicant haha. But regardless of the final decision, I'm just happy to get the opportunity to experience all this! 😀
 
What do you guys think, is UCSF your first choice school? Maybe it's too early to ask this question. I'm still undecided myself.
 
I hate to say that.. But it's not looking good..

Don't want to get anyones hopes up because, of course, I dont know for sure but stay positive. I think if they were just waiting to hand out rejections at the end there wouldnt already be so many people that were declined invites already. So I would say there is still hope. Also I havent heard that many people claiming a Feb 8th interview compared to the other Friday dates so perhaps they are simply trying to inform the earlier dates first as much as possible and there are still spots available for the Feb 8th date that are going to be informed last since the date is the furthest away. All speculation but since so many people were getting accepted just today I would hope that one day later wouldn't make so much of a difference. Either way, for anyone that does receive a rejection don't despair and don't think you aren't good enough. As evidenced by this forum people with all sorts of backgrounds and GPAs and schools and experience levels have been getting in and declined even though some applicants who were denied an interview may seem to be more qualified then an applicant who was offered an interview. You never know exactly what it is they are looking for so just be confident in your abilities and don't give up.
 
Im still waiting though. Nothing heard from them yet, hopefully i will hear tomorrow. Im from socal. My transcript came in late so application was processed later as opposed to others. I think it might also depend on when they receive your complete application.
 
Ohhh yeah, that interview is a morning interview! Forgot.. The Feb. 8th one is at 1PM. You should be fine with a 7PM flight..I live in SF, like 15 minutes away from UCSF, and I think you should be fine with plenty of time to spare!! Haha.

Since you live in SF, mind letting me know if this would work? Taking a bus down to Balboa, and then the BART to the airport. Feasible?
 
Thanks so much and a BIG CONGRATS to you too for your interview invitation! That sadly doesn't apply in my case as I can be considered as a pretty young applicant haha. But regardless of the final decision, I'm just happy to get the opportunity to experience all this! 😀
Thanks Cheepcheep! Lol. Gotcha.

For Soheila, yes, UCSF is my top choice, but I'm also a little bit biased: it also is the closest to me! jk. Actually, it's my top choice since it's just great on so many facets. 🙂

To Dktaba, I agree. Although, I have to say your poise and mindset is amazing. I laugh at myself when I think back on how anxious I was just earlier this week waiting to hear back.

As for BobbyK, I'm not too familiar with the UCSF campus area, but that sounds about right. Although, I'm sure Halfabottle will be able to help you more. But as an aside, if you have an iphone, there's a BART app to show you the times bart comes too. Also, when going back to the airport, make sure the BART train says SFO or SFO/Millbrae. Sometimes the ones going that direction just say Daly City or Millbrae.
 
Thanks NOAEL. Honestly inside its all I can think about but it helps me to put down the rational thoughts in writing to drown out all the irrational ones and if it helps ease someone else's anxiety so much the better 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since you live in SF, mind letting me know if this would work? Taking a bus down to Balboa, and then the BART to the airport. Feasible?

Yeah, that should work. Since there's a N stop a block away from UCSF, I think you should take that as oppose to a Muni street car (ie. 6/43 or 71). The street cars all depend on how street traffic is like during that time of day whereas the N runs on a rail and eventually goes underground. I've taken the 71 on horrible days when its super congested and sometimes it might take me about an hour to get to downtown from the Sunset district (I live in outer sunset btw). And after, get off at Powell station or Montgomery, either one works and transfer to the SFO/Millbrae/Pittsburg/Bay Point Bart. There's another one that's Richmond/Millbrae and that's wrong! The N stop stops at the BART location (another reason I suggest the N (!) You don't even need to go outside!). You just have to exit and take the elevator up and you'll see the Bart station.

I remember my friend actually left the station and exited out onto street level and wandered for a good half an a hour before realizing that when he went to his UCSF interview...-.- He thought the transportation was too complicated in SF...and I responded by saying I think the highways in SoCal are even more complicated....

But it's completely feasible! If the interview ends at 3:30/4, you'll be at the airport around 5 to 6 depending on how quickly you get on a bus! You'll be fine! Good luck on your interview! 🙂
 
just got my invitation! Feb. 2nd, at 7:30.

(I'm from Texas, for what it's worth)

😀

Congrats uhohwhatever! 🙂 I'm going to Texas tomorrow for an interview. LOL. I was just wondering...is the weather horrible there right now? It says that there's going to be thunderstorms the day of my interview.... 🙁
 
just got my invitation! Feb. 2nd, at 7:30.

(I'm from Texas, for what it's worth)

😀
Congratulations Uhohwhatever!

Hmm, I guess that implies it's not always out-of-state applicants that get responses first. Based on the responses so far, I'd say it's generally the initial trend that out of states are notified, then non-sf, then sf, but for some reason towards the end of the notification period the pattern of notification becomes more unpredictable.

In the meantime though, hang in there Dktaba! It's just today and tomorrow left. I hope you get yours today!
 
I just got an invitation on feb 1st. Omg i thought i was gonna get rejected. Sadly ucsd is interviewing me the next which is saturday.
 
Congrats uhohwhatever! 🙂 I'm going to Texas tomorrow for an interview. LOL. I was just wondering...is the weather horrible there right now? It says that there's going to be thunderstorms the day of my interview.... 🙁

Thanks!

Here in Austin it's pretty beautiful outside... but Texas is a big-ass state, so I can't speak for any other city!😛
 
I just got an invitation on feb 1st. Omg i thought i was gonna get rejected. Sadly ucsd is interviewing me the next which is saturday.

I'm in the same boat lol. UCSF Feb. 1st at 10:30am followed by UCSD Feb. 2nd at 8am. I'm gonna have one busy day 🙁
 
if it makes you guys feel any better, I'm from Austin, I have an interview on Friday the 1st in Denver that'll last til 5:30 p.m., and then I have my UCSF interview the next day at 7:30 in the morning. 😛🙄🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since you live in SF, mind letting me know if this would work? Taking a bus down to Balboa, and then the BART to the airport. Feasible?

I would recommend the Super Shuttle. BART is around ~$10 one way, and the Super Shuttle is only $17 one way. For someone who is not familiar with the transportation, the Super Shuttle is a lot more convenient.
 
I would recommend the Super Shuttle. BART is around ~$10 one way, and the Super Shuttle is only $17 one way. For someone who is not familiar with the transportation, the Super Shuttle is a lot more convenient.

Huh. Good call. Thank you, I will likely do that instead!

Oh... but the only one I'd be able to take would leave at 4:15. I wouldn't think the interview will last more than 5 hours. Right?
 
Huh. Good call. Thank you, I will likely do that instead!

Oh... but the only one I'd be able to take would leave at 4:15. I wouldn't think the interview will last more than 5 hours. Right?

what time is your interview scheduled for? the interview takes around 5 hours, with the last hour being the tour, which is optional. i went on the tour, personally i wouldn't have, but i had time while waiting for the shuttle. It shouldn't take more than 5 hours, but it looks like the interview format got changed to MMI, but regardless I don't think it'll take longer than they stated.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for this guide. Do you by any chance have hotel recommendations near UCSF or SF airport?

Hotel Carl. It's like a block or two from campus. Not the nicest place, but it's pretty cheap compared to typical SF rates ($100+).

For my interview last year, Hotel Carl was completely booked. So I booked a hotel in Japantown for $87/night and just took a taxi the morning of my interview. Even with taxi fare, it was cheaper overall, and as a bonus I got to eat some pretty good food in Japantown before and after my interview. You could even bus it from Japantown, but I thought possibly being late for my interview wasn't worth the $13 savings. Not sure if I'd recommend explicitly looking in the Japantown area, but it was a no brainer for me since I wanted to visit that area anyway.

Also, I wouldn't recommend looking for a hotel near SFO. It's really far from Parnassus and there's no convenient way to get there via public transportation. Taxi would be really expensive, and you don't want to drive since it will cost ~$30 to park for your whole interview and there is no validation. When my parents came up for the whitecoat ceremony, they stayed at this hotel called CitiGarden near SFO since it was pretty cheap. However, they told me driving from there to Parnassus took a really long time.
 
i am flying to Sacramento from LA the day before, and have to drive to UCSF for the 10:30 check-in. Is the public parking on Irving st the best place to park for ~$25 for 7 hrs?
 
I'm staying at the Carl Hotel for my interview! Doesn't look like the nicest hotel but its so close to UCSF.
 
A friend and I are staying at Carl too, the night of Feb 1st! Maybe we'll meet some of you guys there? We're also planning on touring the city that day in case any out of staters are arriving early and want to join us. 🙂
 
Does anyone know if we are allowed to take one of the prerequisites (i.e. physiology) at a community college?
 
Does anyone know if we are allowed to take one of the prerequisites (i.e. physiology) at a community college?

Yes you may. You may take as many at community college as you would like. I even took speech and economics at community college, along with a couple other science courses.
 
Does anyone know if we are allowed to take one of the prerequisites (i.e. physiology) at a community college?

Yes, just to echo what was said. I took speech, physiology, philosophy, and sociology at a CC. You should also check to see if you have AP credit you can use - I covered econ that way.
 
Jan 25th is approaching!! I'm so nervous about the MMI. I researched it and most MMI questions are scenario based where they give you a prompt or an situation and you have 2 min to prepare it...or you do an act to speak with an acter of a patient or something. I am just worry as to how the day to will go. Should we say introduce ourselves to the interviewer in each station when we get into the room? Or should we tackle the prompt when we enter the room since it is timed....

AM I thinking too much ...=(
 
Jan 25th is approaching!! I'm so nervous about the MMI. I researched it and most MMI questions are scenario based where they give you a prompt or an situation and you have 2 min to prepare it...or you do an act to speak with an acter of a patient or something. I am just worry as to how the day to will go. Should we say introduce ourselves to the interviewer in each station when we get into the room? Or should we tackle the prompt when we enter the room since it is timed....

AM I thinking too much ...=(

I think MMI works in everyone's favor by reducing bias and showing people's real abilities. They will be able to tell much more easily who is a good fit and who isn't.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Jan 25th is approaching!! I'm so nervous about the MMI. I researched it and most MMI questions are scenario based where they give you a prompt or an situation and you have 2 min to prepare it...or you do an act to speak with an acter of a patient or something. I am just worry as to how the day to will go. Should we say introduce ourselves to the interviewer in each station when we get into the room? Or should we tackle the prompt when we enter the room since it is timed....

AM I thinking too much ...=(

Aish I'm worried too. I only have one experience in a traditional interview with one faculty member one-on-one. As long as you prepare with the questions Joel posted in the "Questions to ask of yourself", you'll do alright. Of course there's an intimidation factor but think about it, we've been invited for an interview which means we're already halfway there! Preparation is key here. 🙂
 
Aish I'm worried too. I only have one experience in a traditional interview with one faculty member one-on-one. As long as you prepare with the questions Joel posted in the "Questions to ask of yourself", you'll do alright. Of course there's an intimidation factor but think about it, we've been invited for an interview which means we're already halfway there! Preparation is key here. 🙂
Thank you for your response! Which questions are you talking about? Do you have the website to Joel's post?
 
I am nervous about the MMI too, I have been reading so much about it. And there seems to be puzzle parts as well as an ethical dilemma. I am scared. Very excited and honored to get an interview though!!! 🙂)))
 
Thank you for your response! Which questions are you talking about? Do you have the website to Joel's post?

In the email that they sent to you after you respond "yes" to the interview, they provide a link that's only provided to interviewees, click that link and it should redirect you to Interview Details.Then go to hyperlink #2 Preparing for your interview. From there, scroll down to subsection #3 Questions to ask yourself. I am not sure if these questions are specific to each applicant; in fact that might be too much work for whomever designs the webpage so I assume these questions are generic to all interviewees.
 
This is probably the silliest interview-related question here, but will there be anywhere to put our jackets/coats? haha!

I just checked the weather for this Friday and it is going to be 53 degrees out. I don't know about the rest of you, but my cold tolerance isn't the greatest.

And if there isn't a place to hang our jackets, will we look totally stupid carrying it around everywhere? Would we just hang it off the backs of our chairs before we start every booth?