2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
- Baylor/Texas Children's Hospital
- Ped
- Rejection
- 12/12
- general email
- I will never know...

This one sucked. Sorry no invitation banana dance...:diebanana::diebanana::diebanana:

Same. I was fully expecting it. Guess I wasn’t meant to be in Texas for internship...

Edit: My rejection was a personalized email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Same. I was fully expecting it. Guess I wasn’t meant to be in Texas for internship...

Edit: My rejection was a personalized email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh mine was personalized as well...I just skimmed over the greeting LOL it was short so I knew it. I have a sneaking suspicion they may have thought I wanted to move there because of family or something? All my research and undergrad was in Houston- raised there. Oh Well...

Members don't see this ad :)
On a side note - are y'all writing emails or handwritten thank you notes after interviews?
Trying to decide how far to take this... haha (*insert overthinking every single step of this process*)

Reactions: 1 users
The UCCs are finally rolling in!

Univ of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Counseling Center
Invite!
Mass email on 12/12
Phone interviews 1/3-1/10

I got this one too and they are one of my top sites!

Hey guys! Does anyone know if a thread has been started for a running list of interview questions?

Thanks! :)

Early morning email notice

Iowa State University Student Counseling Services
Invite
Mass email
Skype interviews beginning Dec 18, schedule to follow
Congrats! It looks like a great site. Didn’t get this one. Stings a little bit more than the others!

On a side note - are y'all writing emails or handwritten thank you notes after interviews?
Trying to decide how far to take this... haha (*insert overthinking every single step of this process*)

Emails. And even then, only if it feels genuine (e.g., the person gave me very helpful information, was especially kind or welcoming, etc).

Reactions: 3 users
E1D0B621-92AD-4F72-89BB-E8F23239A670.jpeg
Right now I feel (only slightly) sorry for all the students whose papers I'm grading, while I'm feeling grumpy and anxious about this internship process. If I have to write, "Punctuation goes INSIDE the f'ing quotation marks!" Or "Section headings would help organize this crappy 10-page-paper, as I suggested on multiple occasions in class and when I sent everyone a document with an APA template!" one more time... (If only I could say it like that for realsies)
:nono:
Time for another cup of coffee. ;)
omfg this was me yesterday, grading crappy undergrad papers and being super cranky about it even though I got good news! My advisor (for whom I TA the course) emailed me saying I didn’t need to write comments/feedback since he wasn’t handing them back, but y’all besta believe I wrote a **** ton of feedback just to get the cranks out. When I gave them to him he was like “you didn’t have to do all this!” And I was like, “it was more for me than them. It was super cathartic.”

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats! It looks like a great site. Didn’t get this one. Stings a little bit more than the others!
Oh bummer, I'm sorry! You'll get your #wandsite but I know that fact doesn't lessen the sting of not getting the opportunity to see how the fit is at your first-favorite sites.

Emails. And even then, only if it feels genuine (e.g., the person gave me very helpful information, was especially kind or welcoming, etc).
I disagree - I'd be annoyed to get 30-50 thank you emails every year after interviews.

I disagree - I'd be annoyed to get 30-50 thank you emails every year after interviews.

That's what I was originally thinking too, but after talking to faculty and others about it more I've changed my mind a bit. They don't have to respond. Also, if they specifically say not to send them, obviously don't, but if they give you their emails and encourage you to reach out if you have any other questions, etc., I doubt they'll be annoyed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from the University of Vermont? They have a deadline of 12/10 :-(.

I was waiting on
California Pacific Medical center
Children's hospital of Orange county
Rutgers Biomedical
Any news about these sites that you are aware of?
I know for California Pacific Medical Center - inpatient, women’s health, child track, and neuro got invites but I am still waiting to hear anything from them.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! Does anyone know if a thread has been started for a running list of interview questions?

Thanks! :)
Yep, it's linked on the front page of this thread!

I would only send one if I had a question. Aside from that, I think I will thank them in the interview afterwards instead of an email. One less email for them. I would be appreciative if someone told me in person and explain that is to prevent an unnecessary email.

I would only send one if I had a question. Aside from that, I think I will thank them in the interview afterwards instead of an email. One less email for them. I would be appreciative if someone told me in person and explain that is to prevent an unnecessary email.

Now this is just my opinion - so take it with a grain of salt and put more weight on advice provided by your faculty and by students who have matched in past years. I don't want this to happen:

Your Chair: Why didn't you send an enthusiastic 'thank you' email to that site you loved so much?!?
You: Well, HappyPhDHopeful said it would be annoying...
Your Chair: WHO SAID WHAT????????!!!!!!?????
You: Rats.

3 more sites to hear from folks! I can't focus on completing my end of the semester notes or prepping for my first interview! Excited and nervous. Plus I want to solidify my interview dates and purchase my flights!!!!!!!!!!!!

Westchester Jewish Community Services
Rejection
12/12 11:30am
Personal Email

Starting to get super anxious as the week goes by...
10 more sites to hear from :bang:

Has anyone received a rejection from SUNY Upstate Medical University? They sent out invites weeks ago and are already interviewing applicants ... this is the last site I'm waiting to hear from before I make travel plans..... Is it safe to write this off as a lost cause at this point? Or do they wait and see how initial interviews go and then send another round of invites at the last minute?

Westchester Jewish Community Services
Rejection
12/12 11:30am
Personal Email

Starting to get super anxious as the week goes by...
10 more sites to hear from :bang:

Twinsies! I got this one too and also have 10 sites remaining. Saw this rejection coming for some time, so there was no sting to it.

College of William and Mary Counseling Center
INVITE!
Personalized template email (11:20AM EST)
January 4, 5, 8, 9, and 10 (in person or by phone/video conference)

Montana VA
Personalized mass email
12/12 at approx 1pm EST
INVITE!
Dates January 17 and 18th

Reactions: 2 users
I think Boston Children's Hospital beats out McLean for nicest rejection..

"Your application for our internship program in health service psychology was carefully reviewed by our faculty. Unfortunately, we will not be able to offer you an interview and must advise you that you are no longer under consideration for a place in next year's intern class.

We very much regret not being able to interview you or consider your application further. This decision is a very frustrating one for us because it is clear that the vast majority of applicants we cannot interview will make fine interns and talented psychologists. The selection truly amounted to splitting hairs among a very fine group of 255 applications. Alas, we must recognize our own institutional limits and force ourselves to make difficult choices. In addition, we do not think it fair to candidates who are not in our highest-rated group to undertake the time and expense of coming for an interview.

Please accept our best wishes for a successful internship search and an outstanding career in psychology."

Reactions: 11 users
Has anyone heard from Aurora Behavioral Health Services in Wisconsin? I was hoping it would be by todayyyyy :clap:

Full Site Name: university of Missouri KC counseling center

Track: none

Invite/Rejection: invite

How Notified: mass email about 5 min ago

Date Notified: 12/12/17

Interview Dates: email with sign up coming

If & how you’re staying sane: peanut butter cookies, chocolate, and puppies

That's what I was originally thinking too, but after talking to faculty and others about it more I've changed my mind a bit. They don't have to respond. Also, if they specifically say not to send them, obviously don't, but if they give you their emails and encourage you to reach out if you have any other questions, etc., I doubt they'll be annoyed.
I just had an interview yesterday and they specifically told us to NOT send any follow up thank you notes or emails. It was kind of uncomfortable but they blatantly told us before we left.

Has anyone heard anything from the School Mental Health Track for VA Maryland HCS/Univ Maryland School of Medicine? I have seen all the tracks but this one and I thought I was a pretty good match so any insight would be so helpful!

MercyFirst
Personalized email
12/12
Rejection

3 interviews, 8 rejections. 7 sites to go, most of which have already sent invites...
+pity+

I just had an interview yesterday and they specifically told us to NOT send any follow up thank you notes or emails. It was kind of uncomfortable but they blatantly told us before we left.

I suppose it's nice to know! Maybe they're afraid people are going to say things that aren't allowed (e.g., "you're my #1 site!) in follow-up emails. That could be awkward.

I suppose it's nice to know! Maybe they're afraid people are going to say things that aren't allowed (e.g., "you're my #1 site!) in follow-up emails. That could be awkward.

Not too afraid of that. It's just tedious. We already get dozens of work-related e-mails a day. Thank you e-mails just adds to the administrative burden. If there is a legitimate follow-up question, fire away. But, most of us don't want thank you e-mails.

Congrats! How was your interview?!

Aww thanks!! My interview was surprisingly painless, which has really helped to ease my anxiety about the next few weeks!

Also, because questions about thank you emails are coming up - the TD at the site where I interviewed yesterday said that everyone there really appreciates thank you emails and was surprised to hear that some sites are asking that applicants not send them. So it sounds like there are lots of different views on this!

Reactions: 4 users
Lincoln Medical & Mental Health Center
Invite
Date Notified: 12/12/17
Phone call

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Aww thanks!! My interview was surprisingly painless, which has really helped to ease my anxiety about the next few weeks!

Also, because questions about thank you emails are coming up - the TD at the site where I interviewed yesterday said that everyone there really appreciates thank you emails and was surprised to hear that some sites are asking that applicants not send them. So it sounds like there are lots of different views on this!

I have heard mixed feedback as well re thank you emails which is why I threw the question out there... I guess it's good to know that nothing about this process is straight forward. Or easy. Or sensible. #LetsKeepAddingToOurAnxiety

Seriously... there’s something to be said for this “laying down your phone” thing. Twice today.

Wake Forest University Counseling Center
INVITE
Phone call (that I missed because I was practicing being sane)
Dates TBD once I get the follow-up email, but early January via video conferencing.

Reactions: 4 users
*twiddles thumbs waiting in anticipation for additional emails/phone calls....*