2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Part of what I have come to love about our #forumfam is what I think is our shared goal of sustaining a culture of equity. That culture can never be perfect and there will always be mishaps and bumps in the road. We seem to do everything we can do support one another and build each other up.

I’m also noticing an interesting gender dynamic in all this #unsolicitedadvice. Remember, everyone: TDs can mansplain too.
Thank you for this. I needed this to be said because I felt it and hesitated to speak to it directly. I know I was not the only one.

@FlygirlPhD I love what you said about cultivating affirming and supportive #forumfamculture, wherever we go! We get to make that the reality. Also, I have ZERO interest in being a TD but I certainly hope some of my amazing peers have that in mind for their futures! You are all the most amazing colleagues and I continue to just feel SO LUCKY to have made these connections.

giphy.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
This is absolutely right. Good leaders provide guidance and exemplify what they're trying to demonstrate, rather than simply saying it repeatedly with an attitude of, "I am the one right answer." And, I think, can find a balance of help/guidance and letting people work things out on their own...and together, collaboratively. I want to add one thing to the type of environment you suggest (all of which I like!) - an environment which also encourages self-reflection AND self-confidence. I am so excited to be a colleague to all of you future interns that I've met on here.
I wholeheartedly agree with this! And I believe that being with supervisors who encourage self-reflection absolutely fosters self-confidence. I also think you made a great point about that balance of providing answers/ hints, and making space for people to solve their own problems. There is something amazing about leaders that make space for mistakes in a way that you know you can screw up and still be ok. (Without being harsh, punitive, or shaming.)

Your comments made me think of a great book I just read by Kristen Hadeed, called "Permission to Screw Up: How I Learned to Lead by Doing (Almost) Everything Wrong." She is a CEO and founder of a company that has this self-reflecting, confidence-boosting culture. It was awesome to see how she implemented some of the things we are talking about and saw great results with the people who work for her. :)
Part of what I have come to love about our #forumfam is what I think is our shared goal of sustaining a culture of equity. That culture can never be perfect and there will always be mishaps and bumps in the road. We seem to do everything we can do support one another and build each other up.

Thank you for this. I needed this to be said because I felt it and hesitated to speak to it directly. I know I was not the only one.

@FlygirlPhD I love what you said about cultivating affirming and supportive #forumfamculture, wherever we go! We get to make that the reality. Also, I have ZERO interest in being a TD but I certainly hope some of my amazing peers have that in mind for their futures! You are all the most amazing colleagues and I continue to just feel SO LUCKY to have made these connections.

giphy.gif
First of all, you are all awesome. Full stop.

Second of all, the beauty of a self-reflective, compassionate, equitable environment that allows space for individuals to make mistakes and learn from them is that it encourages and gives rise to a very different kind of confidence than one that comes from an environment characterized by snark, hierarchies, and condescension. I don't know about y'all, but I'd much rather embody the former and work with others who do the same. I don't fragilize my patients and assume that they can't solve their own problems or assume that I am in some way better than them. Instead, I support and encourage them in problem solving by being compassionate, encouraging self-reflection, and allowing them to make some of their own mistakes. I am so grateful that I matched to an internship site whose culture reflects these same values, and to see so many actively discussing ways to improve the culture at their own upcoming sites (and maybe even as supervisors and TDs down the road!) is very inspiring! What can I say, #forumfamculture is here to stay :cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I am also thinking from the TD's perspective. Sometimes you have students who come in with strong ideas of right and wrong ways to conduct treatment and it can be frustrating to teach these types of students. I sometimes see my classmates act more interested in debating the supervisor and other classmates rather than on learning something new. There seems to be something threatening about simply hearing and listening to opinions that are different from our own. I personally find it a shame that this is the case in this field.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am also thinking from the TD's perspective. Sometimes you have students who come in with strong ideas of right and wrong ways to conduct treatment and it can be frustrating to teach these types of students. I sometimes see my classmates act more interested in debating the supervisor and other classmates rather than on learning something new. There seems to be something threatening about simply hearing and listening to opinions that are different from our own. I personally find it a shame that this is the case in this field.

In the same regard, sometimes you have supervisors with strong ideas of right and wrong ways to conduct treatment and it can be frustrating to learn from these types of supervisors.

I think what's so wonderful about this group and about the majority of students and supervisors I know in the field is the fact that people are open to healthy debate and alternate perspectives. This kind of collaboration makes the field stronger, not weaker. Challenging each other and speaking up when one feels like there is no room for healthy debate in the hierarchy (or patriarchy) is nothing to be ashamed of or "shame for."

Reactions: 5 users

Hmmm. I disagree with the premise that you cannot learn while debating. The majority of my program's classes are set up as debates and discussions to help enrich our knowledge of the field and be able to understand why we truly do feel a certain way and to be able to back up that assertion with facts. I don't think that learning and debating are dichotomous. I also don't think anyone thus far has had a difference of opinion on how to conduct treatment. It seems much more on how to interact with colleagues.

I do agree that it would be difficult to have a student who was rigid in how they wanted to conduct treatment, but I don't think that's what is being discussed on the board recently. I see a group of upcoming psychologists advocating for warm, respectful, collaborative training opportunities and that is a group that I am proud to be a part of any day!

Reactions: 6 users

Hmmm. I disagree with the premise that you cannot learn while debating. The majority of my program's classes are set up as debates and discussions to help enrich our knowledge of the field and be able to understand why we truly do feel a certain way and to be able to back up that assertion with facts. I don't think that learning and debating are dichotomous. I also don't think anyone thus far has had a difference of opinion on how to conduct treatment. It seems much more on how to interact with colleagues.

I do agree that it would be difficult to have a student who was rigid in how they wanted to conduct treatment, but I don't think that's what is being discussed on the board recently. I see a group of upcoming psychologists advocating for warm, respectful, collaborative training opportunities and that is a group that I am proud to be a part of any day!

:claps:
Amen!

Reactions: 1 user
So, 3/6 people did not match in my cohort....and I didn't even announce I matched and nobody asked me, maybe they think it's me hahaha. But really, daaaaaamn, I couldn't handle Phase 2 after the fiance leaving and everything, no. So I feel for that 12% who did not match and also those who are not at APA sites which puts some constraints as well. I have begun to follow my site on social media and they do cool stuff like get famous transgender celebrities to come talk. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Geisinger Medical Center
-Adult Psychology and Behavioral Medicine
-Invitation
-Nov. 22 (around 7:45am)
-mass email
-12/14, 12/15, 12/21 (full), 1/8, 1/9
-Naps, netflix, etc.

Duke University Medical Center
-Adult Health
-Invitation
-November 20
-mass email
-January 18

Did your interview on site at Geisinger?

Has anyone applied/heard back from Bellevue Project Healthcare post interview yet?

Hi everyone! I recently found out that I matched to an internship site in Canada as a US student. I’m trying to figure out the work permit/visa process and I’ve done some research on it, but the process seems confusing and overwhelming. The TD and I are trying to work together on this process as well, but they haven’t had any US students recently and are trying to figure out the process themselves (I think there have been changes in the process after 2014). Does anyone have any tips, or know anyone who has been through the process? Greatly appreciated!

Reactions: 1 users