2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Y'all have made it to Jezebel.

https://www.avclub.com/netflix-call...source=jezebel_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

#forumfam #proudofyou #netflixandcry
This is the third time this has been posted and each time I'm more and more proud. Also, #netflixandcry, I can't, I'm done :rofl:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Still waiting on...

Duke CAPS
UC San Diego UCC
UC Davis UCC
UMaryland College Park UCC

All of this waiting is unbearable!!!

Hi, just curious for reference --- how many of your interviews are in-person vs. on phone/Skype?

Reactions: 1 user
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay I didn’t know what this movie was about but based off that description is it like a clean version of Fifty Shades of Grey?!:eek:

Edit: that’s probably a stretch comparison. Journalist. Interviews rich guy. Trash movie...
I'd like to nominate this post as my favorite question asked in this entire thread.

Reactions: 5 users
Site: The Guidance Center
No Track
Rejection
Personal Email, 1:30 EST
Hmmm...their application deadline isn't until friday. Something tells me that submitting one might just be futile...Or is that what you want me to think?! :p

I'd like to nominate this post as my favorite question asked in this entire thread.
I kept starting to respond to it, but nothing quite did it justice, so I gave up. :p
I did, however, consider, "Idk, what is that? Is that like a dirty version of The Chrismas Prince?" but as you can see, it just doesn't do the original justice.

Reactions: 1 users

This is quite an honor! :banana: unless you mean because it's a totally stupid question then :oops:
I kept starting to respond to it, but nothing quite did it justice, so I gave up. :p
I did, however, consider, "Idk, what is that? Is that like a dirty version of The Chrismas Prince?" but as you can see, it just doesn't do the original justice.

LOL. I need to watch this Christmas Prince thing all of you are watching. Just waiting for things to die down. Then I'll draw my own comparisons. Not that I would EVER watch 50 Shades of anything....:bookworm: no scratch that :angelic:

Sooooo...Hawaii VA anyone? Closing in on a full business day past the deadline...
Between Hawaii VA and Cheyenne VA missing their deadlines, I feel like I’ve been stood up twice. I'll think about it tomorrow...
Rottenecards_11267750_jsyqdhjygj.png

I think most (if not all) of my anxiety is coming from trying to figure out my schedule for the month of January. I've already had to schedule a handful of my patients (who I've been seeing regularly, on a weekly or biweekly basis) 5-6 weeks out because they don't want to transition/transfer to another clinician and would rather wait for my return from interviews. I mean, I know it can't be helped.. but I just can't help but to feel horrible for the discontinuity of care they're being subjected to. :sorry:

This is quite an honor! :banana: unless you mean because it's a totally stupid question then :oops:

LOL. I need to watch this Christmas Prince thing all of you are watching. Just waiting for things to die down. Then I'll draw my own comparisons. Not that I would EVER watch 50 Shades of anything....:bookworm: no scratch that :angelic:
No, not a stupid question at all! I was 10,000% genuine in that I think this is my favorite question asked (and the one that made me laugh the most) in all 98 pages of this thread, hence why I am nominating your question. :D

But for realz, go watch A Christmas Prince. The similarities to 50 Shades in detail are pretty slim but in terms of cotton candy for your brain it's pretty spot on.

....Not that I'd know anything about the content of the 50 Shades trilogy. #thefinalchapterbeginsthisvalentinesday :ninja:

Reactions: 9 users
Between Hawaii VA and Cheyenne VA missing their deadlines, I feel like I’ve been stood up twice. I'll think about it tomorrow...
As I drove to prac in the pitch black of night at 7 pm this evening with the knowledge that it had already been dark for 3 or so hours, I was really kicking myself for not applying to each and every site in close proximity to the equator. I need some effing sunlight or I need to be allowed to hibernate. This short day AND expected productivity nonsense is bull****.

Anyway, good luck with Hawaii. Please get hired on there permanently, quickly work your way into a hiring position, and hire me. Kthxbai.

Hmmm...their application deadline isn't until friday. Something tells me that submitting one might just be futile...Or is that what you want me to think?! :p

This site's app deadline was 11/6 and notification deadline is 12/15. Def don't apply at this point! - I'm pretty sure that the interview spots have been filled (insider knowledge).

My friend heard from Cheyenne about 15 mins ago, not sure if that helps or hurts...

Members don't see this ad :)
This site's app deadline was 11/6 and notification deadline is 12/15. Def don't apply at this point! - I'm pretty sure that the interview spots have been filled (insider knowledge).
Is it this site and the directory page has a mistake or is it a different site of the same name? APPIC

The only reason this site is even on my radar is the match news updates. So, assuming we're talking about the same site, I'm guessing the 11/6 date is before their extension, which apparently isn't really being enacted? Thank you so much for saying something!!! I really might have applied otherwise.

Last edited:
Really struggling with radio silence today...

Anyone else? How are you coping with it? I'm currently watching Shemar Moore and eating pizza. :rofl:

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Is it this site and the directory page has a mistake or is it a different site of the same name? APPIC

The only reason this site is even on my radar is the match news updates. So, assuming we're talking about the same site, I'm guessing the 11/6 date is before their extension, which apparently isn't really being enacted? Thank you so much for saying something!!! I really might have applied otherwise.

Oh my! No, I'm speaking of The Guidance Center in Long Beach, CA, and I assumed the other posts were too. I know nothing about the link you sent! Maybe it's safe to still apply?

Oh my! No, I'm speaking of The Guidance Center in Long Beach, CA, and I assumed the other posts were too. I know nothing about the link you sent! Maybe it's safe to still apply?
Oh, ok, wow! That's crazy that they have the exact same name and don't add anything to it to specify even if just for APPIC purposes!

Edit: Now that I know there's one in Long Beach, CA, it kind of takes the wind out of the sails of the idea of applying to one in Kansas. :p

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Speaking of guidance centers...

- Child and Family Guidance Center
- Invite
- 12/11
- Personal email
- Call them to set up an interview date between December 14 (??) and 22 or between January 4 and 26

Reactions: 6 users
Posting for my labmate, but she received an invite approx. 10 days ago via an email around 8:00pm CST. If you don't got that rejection, you're still in the running. Hoping the best for you!

Oh wow! Thanks, I will hold out hope!

I'll post some of mine that I think aren't repeats:
VA Southern Nevada
Invite
Personal Email - notified on 12/11

San Bernardino Department of Behavioral Health
Forensic/Outpatient Track (email seemed to be for both tracks)
Invite
Mass Email on 12/8

Reactions: 3 users
Really struggling with radio silence today...

Anyone else? How are you coping with it? I'm currently watching Shemar Moore and eating pizza. :rofl:
I haven't had silence (kinda wish I did) but I did want to say that I think your coping strategy is excellent! Shemar Moore :love:

I'll post some of mine that I think aren't repeats:
VA Southern Nevada
Invite
Personal Email - notified on 12/11

San Bernardino Department of Behavioral Health
Forensic/Outpatient Track (email seemed to be for both tracks)
Invite
Mass Email on 12/8

Yayyy! I also got Southern Nevada. I’m loving how many interview days they have!!!

Early morning email notice

Iowa State University Student Counseling Services
Invite
Mass email
Skype interviews beginning Dec 18, schedule to follow

Have a question, for those sites that have notification day as 15th and sent out invites, if I did not hear anything from them does that mean I should expect a rejection?

Reactions: 2 users
Have a question, for those sites that have notification day as 15th and sent out invites, if I did not hear anything from them does that mean I should expect a rejection?

At this point, I am expecting rejections from sites like that. There was some hope of an invite a bit ago, but now it seems unlikely.

ok :( I will be mentally prepared.

Ya I’m in the same boat... for 6 sites. I’m hoping at least one is a rolling invite.... puhleeeez!!!! Come on graduate Gods, I’ll promise to defend in spring, I promise!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 7 users
Ya I’m in the same boat... for 6 sites. I’m hoping at least one is a rolling invite.... puhleeeez!!!! Come on graduate Gods, I’ll promise to defend in spring, I promise!

I was waiting on
California Pacific Medical center
Children's hospital of Orange county
Rutgers Biomedical
Any news about these sites that you are aware of?

I was waiting on
Rutgers Biomedical

Nope unfortunately. I applied to all behavioral medicine...

Henry Ford Health Science
Neuropsychology
Rejection on 12-12
Mass email

Starting to take these rejections like a champ
:rofl:

Henry Ford Health Sciences Center
Neuropsychology Track
Rejection
Mass email
Time to drink tear-flavored coffee :( I really liked this site...

Has anyone heard from the following sites:
Salt Lake City VA
Orlando VA
Salisbury NC VA

those are the last 3 I am waiting on.

Also, the Malcolm Randall VAMC (Gainesville FL) notified via personalized email.

No on Orlando VA, their notification day is Friday so I'll just be pleasantly surprised if we hear before then.

Henry Ford Health Science
Neuropsychology
Rejection on 12-12
Mass email

Starting to take these rejections like a champ
:rofl:

Henry Ford Health Sciences Center
Neuropsychology Track
Rejection
Mass email
Time to drink tear-flavored coffee :( I really liked this site...

Same. Not that surprised, I think this is a pretty competitive one for neuro.

Y’all. I am trying so hard to study for a final, but my brain is mushy
IMG_9142.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't heard from Salisbury yet either. I also haven't heard from the Hampton VA or Hutchings Psychiatric. It seems like the Hampton VA sent out some invites last week, so I'm expecting a rejection there, but I wish they would just send it out. This waiting is the worst.

I haven't heard from Salisbury yet either. I also haven't heard from the Hampton VA or Hutchings Psychiatric. It seems like the Hampton VA sent out some invites last week, so I'm expecting a rejection there, but I wish they would just send it out. This waiting is the worst.
I am still waiting on Hampton as well... It seems that quite a few people still are. I agree, the waiting is the worst.

Just got an interview invite from Salisbury, mass email, 12/12, Interview dates: January 5th, 8th, 10th, 12th, 17th and 19th
Yay!

- St. Vincent Neuroscience Institute
-Beh Med/Neuropsych
- Invite!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :claps:
- 12/12 @ 9:54 EST
- Personal email
- Jan 11 (morning or afternoon available)

Really needed this! Wahooooooooooo!!!!!!!! :biglove:

Reactions: 13 users
- Baylor/Texas Children's Hospital
- Ped
- Rejection
- 12/12
- general email
- I will never know...

This one sucked. Sorry no invitation banana dance...:diebanana::diebanana::diebanana:

I got my McLean rejection yesterday- it’s weird because the email sounded personalized (“While you are an excellent candidate with very impressive credentials, we regret that we will not be able to extend an interview invitation”) it was very clearly a mass email and they didn’t even use my name.

University of Louisville School of Medicine
Track: N/A
Rejection
Personal Email
10:50 Eastern
Staying Sane: Just ready for this to be ovveerrrr

I was waiting on
Rutgers Biomedical

I know some people got personal invites from CHOC but a few of us are still hoping for more while Mentally preparing

It's not official...but I think I'm getting a REJECTION from West Virginia UHSC cause my master's degree obviously is not good enough since we are out of the education department and not psychology. EEEEEEkkkkk sometimes I am absolutely frustrated with being in a counseling program...that is CLOSING. I have too much to say about the latter and will refrain from venting out my frustrations. It is not good karma to do so ---- AND I NEED SOME GOOD KARMA FOR AT LEAST ONE MORE INTERVIEW. #internshipdesperation

Right now I feel (only slightly) sorry for all the students whose papers I'm grading, while I'm feeling grumpy and anxious about this internship process. If I have to write, "Punctuation goes INSIDE the f'ing quotation marks!" Or "Section headings would help organize this crappy 10-page-paper, as I suggested on multiple occasions in class and when I sent everyone a document with an APA template!" one more time... (If only I could say it like that for realsies)
:nono:
Time for another cup of coffee. ;)

Reactions: 7 users
Right now I feel (only slightly) sorry for all the students whose papers I'm grading, while I'm feeling grumpy and anxious about this internship process. If I have to write, "Punctuation goes INSIDE the f'ing quotation marks!" Or "Section headings would help organize this crappy 10-page-paper, as I suggested on multiple occasions in class and when I sent everyone a document with an APA template!" one more time... (If only I could say it like that for realsies)
:nono:
Time for another cup of coffee. ;)

This is perfect

The UCCs are finally rolling in!

Univ of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Counseling Center
Invite!
Mass email on 12/12
Phone interviews 1/3-1/10

Reactions: 3 users
Just wondering if anyone else is waiting on UT Health Houston to confirm the interview on Friday?